Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Re: Out of the Well [Semi-Open]

Postby Freezair » 05/27/2011 12:55 PM

"Yes," Hal nodded. He cocked one of his eyebrows curiosly. "EE-vah-lon. Or EH-vah-lon, as some people say. Either really works. Tomato, tomahto." As Hal said it, he realized that he'd never seriously heard someone say "tomahto," and wondered who'd come up with that silly phrase.

"Why? Have you, perhaps, heard of us before?" Maybe it was like Merlin--they both knew of him, but one had different ideas about who he was. Maybe Evelon had some throaway reference in whatever mythology he grew up with. It would certainly be an unusual twist, wouldn't it?

I'm so cool (too bad I'm a loser).
I'm so smart (too bad I can't get anything figured out)!
I'm so brave (too bad I'm a baby).
I'm so fly
That's probably why it feels just like I'm falling for the first time!

I'm so green (it's really amazing).
I'm so clean (too bad I can't get all the dirt off of me)!
I'm so sane (It's driving me crazy)!
It's so strange
I can't believe I'm falling for the first time!

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 80
Donate

Postby Azura Rayume » 05/27/2011 2:55 PM

"Oh, my," Arthur chuckled. "I think I know what the problem might be then." He rose to his feet, which jostled Lancelot more than the laughter had. Irritated, the reptile scurried under the shoulder plate to latch his claws around the chain mail beneath for a more secure hold. Arthur wiped a tear from his eye, though whether that was from laughter or from loss he had no idea.

"You see, my good man," he explained. "The Lady of the Lake told me that, should I ever be so grievously wounded, that I should go to her. She had a place where I could heal and where I would await my kingdom to need me again should such a need arise. That place was called Avalon." He grinned, though he was probably finding the entire situation much more comical than it probably should be. "I... I think there's been some kind of... cosmic mix-up or something. The names of both places are so similar, I believe I may have accidentally wound up in the wrong one."

Boys and girls of every age
Wouldn't you like to see
Something Strange?

HomeRambleLoveDreamRecord
Azura Rayume
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1007
Donate

Postby Freezair » 05/27/2011 6:32 PM

"Oh." Hal scratched the back of his neck nervously. He ran his fingers over an old scar while he thought. "...Oh my. I don't know who this Lady of the Lake is, but it does seem as if there's been some sort of... strange mix-up. But by whom? The gods don't make mistakes, as far as I know."

Hal got up to pace fitfully. Gears churned in his skull as he pondered what he'd just heard. "Is... is it at all possible that you misheard? Could it be she really said 'Evelon?' For you could certainly rest and heal yourself here." Hal began walking around Arthur. He was really taking in the aspects of the man's appearance now--of course he looked like something from another time and place; he should have thought so before! "We have the best doctors in any world in the city of Medicai, and good hospitality all around. And if there is a battle to be fought, I have no doubt you could look for recruits here!" Hal swung his fist emphatically. "I am not the only guard and warrior around!"

However, he was suddenly struck by the mental image of Xai're--god of technology as well as death--accidentally making a typo on one of his computers. Hal felt the giggle would probably look rude, but it inched out the sides of his lips anyway.

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Azura Rayume » 05/28/2011 6:51 PM

The use of the word "gods" struck Arthur as odd; there was only one that he knew of... Then again, if this was a different world, it was probably run by a completely separate set of rules than his own, including the deity or deities that governed it. Whatever, though. That didn't matter.

"Well, I suppose I might have heard her wrong," he said. "Either that, or she messed up. The Lady may be wonderful, but I highly doubt she is infallible. She might have even been calling this place the wrong name for all those years." He laughed slightly at the idea, smiling. "I suppose this world of yours will work just as fine as Avalon for what I needed. Why, look at me! I'm healthy as can be, not a single scratch. I must have healed here, whether I remember it or not."

He chuckled again at Hal's enthusiasm. "Well, I hope I have left all battles of that sort behind me, at least for now. Should one come up in the future, though, I will be sure to call on you for help. After all, you have done nothing but assist me thus far, and I would be honored for such help another time."

Wouldn't you like to see
Something Strange?

Azura Rayume
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 05/29/2011 1:46 AM

"Goodness! I'm not done with you yet," Hal said. "Though I'm pleased to offer my assistance in the future, if you really did just arrive here, you're going to need some more help still! You're going to need a place to stay, of course--if my house wasn't so packed already, I'd offer you mine. And some way to make money would be good as well, of course, so you can feed yourself."

Hal scratched his head. "Mr.--Ah, I don't believe I caught your name?--Well, sir, I still don't know exactly how things worked in your home world, but are you purely human? If you're not, you could probably take up with a Trainer or Tamer or Adventurer of some kind--you'd have room and board, meals, and a helpful guide. If you are all human, you should consider becoming one--you already have a Bleeder, so just find a few more creatures to assist you, and you could become a very respectable Tamer with a lot of friends!"

He cleared his throat with realization. "Not--not to say that this world is speciesist, as if those were your only options! I'm not all human myself, and I live with others of my kind--creatures. But we operate a business, so we can make our own capital. You don't have a job yet."

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Azura Rayume » 05/30/2011 10:35 PM

Well, he didn't like the sound of that one bit. He was a king, damn it all. Why would he want to rely on some other person for things? He might have had people who were willing to do things for him back home, servants and what not, but he didn't like the idea of having to depend on someone else.

Though he turned his nose up at that idea, it was the mention of being "purely human" that really threw him for a loop. He had never considered the idea of being anything else, since he had never known anyone to actually be that different. Of course, there were the times that Merlin had changed him into a fish or a bird or some other creature, but that was probably not what his new friend was referring to.

"Well, first off, my name is Arthur. Arthur Dragonpen," he said, blinking at the other man. "And secondly, I have no idea what you're talking about, purely human. I suppose your world could have done something to me, but as far as I know, I am nothing but what you see." And he didn't like the idea of a tamer, either. He was a king, not someone or something to be tamed as on might a troubled horse or a hunting dog. He would rather not address that idea, though, so he avoided the topic altogether just to not speak of it.

Wouldn't you like to see
Something Strange?

Azura Rayume
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 05/31/2011 8:37 PM

"Arthur? Alright then, Mr. Arthur." The man seemed indignant to Hal, somehow. Like he'd offended him. Hal very carefully took a few steps back, and tried to put on a face that was friendly but not condescending. He wondered what it was, though. He worried he'd exacerbate it if he asked, though.

"You... don't know? My goodness, your world really is different. Aren't there other creatures in your world besides humans? Intelligent ones, I mean, not animals. Like me." Hal gestured to himself. "Like many creatures, I can take human form when it suits me, because humans--well, they have very useful bodies! Thumbs are very handy." Hal held up his hands and wiggled all his fingers, chuckling. "But I was born as a Lucain. And being a Lucain, well, that has obvious advantages too. As you might imagine." Silently, Hal prayed that there were, at the very least, Lucain where this man came from.

Hal's mental picture of Arthur's world was shaping up to be very strange indeed.

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Azura Rayume » 06/09/2011 11:37 PM

Now he felt bad. He seemed to have made Halvard think something negative of him, almost as if his new friend would have offended him. He certainly didn't want that in any way, considering he had not been offended in the slightest. He was just confused, not indignant, and certainly would be even worse off if this kind man had not come along to help him out. Though what he was being told now certainly didn't help with his understanding of where he had landed himself.

"No, we don't have that," he confessed, growing more bewildered by the moment. "The closest thing I can recall to what you have described is when Merlin changed me into an animal so I could learn. I don't know of anyone making such a change willingly, nor animals of any kind changing into a human. We did have a talking owl, but he was owl through and through."

The term Lucain intrigued him though. "Would you mind elaborating on... what you are exactly?"

Wouldn't you like to see
Something Strange?

Azura Rayume
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/10/2011 12:28 AM

"Wow. Your world really is different. ...But if Merlin had other forms, well, that wouldn't surprise me," Hal chuckled.

He twisted his face as he listened to Arthur speak. He knelt in the grass. No Lucain, either! What sort of animals did they have in this Arthur's world? How could they have humans and nothing else? Hal clicked his tongue. "Well... it's easier to just let me show you."

He closed his eyes and put his hands on his knees. Inwardly, Hal focused on his center--not his heart, really, but the luminescent essence of his being, floating around near his center of gravity. Gently, Hal willed that center to change. And he himself began to shift, too. His clothing melted away, replaced by golden-brown fur. The joints in his legs shifted position as his stance changed, much more suited to all fours. Tails sprouted behind him, changing his balance. And his back truly felt complete once his wingblades grew, silvery and proud above him.

Hal opened his eyes and blinked through the white, heart-shaped patch on his face. "We're a bit like this," he said, his voice more growly in his canine throat. "Have you really never seen anything like this before?"

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Azura Rayume » 06/13/2011 12:22 AM

Arthur couldn't help the instinctive step back he took, though he tried to cover it up as best he could. He should have been expecting that, really should have, but the transformation still caught him off guard. And now he felt rude. Not to mention unreasonably frightened. Overall, just an idiot.

While his sense of surprise would have liked a discussion of the animal to human transformation, he couldn't say he wasn't intrigued. He knew that asking "how did you do that" would just make him look more the fool, but he wanted to know. He had no idea that people in this world or any could be capable of transforming into animals- or perhaps it was the other way around- without the slightest hint of a spell. Merlin always had to use some form of magic for transformations such as that, but here no spell could be detected.

"Never before in my life," he said in all honesty, though he hated to admit it. "Well, if your world was where the Lady intended for me to go, she certainly has a strange idea of what paradise is. Not that there's anything wrong with your home, of course. It's a wonderful place, albeit a bit foreign to me." He sighed, unable to think of how to ask his assumed foolish question. "I hope you don't mind me asking, but how would someone such as myself know if we had an... animal form, I suppose? I mean, someone who was born human and later told of such a possibility?"

Wouldn't you like to see
Something Strange?

Azura Rayume
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/13/2011 2:21 AM

"Paradise? Not as I would call it," Hal said, sitting down on his tawny haunches. "But not a bad place to live in truth."

Hal's golden eyes widened as Arthur spoke. "Well, that's--err... uh."

Blankness crossed his face. An empty space yawned in Hal's skull where an idea should be. Well, now, what kind of a question was that? How... how did you know? Halvard knew it went both ways. There were people who were born human (or very close to it) who had animal forms, and animals who were born in that shape who could turn into humans. But... how did he know? Hal couldn't pinpoint any point in his past that was a definite moment of recognition. As far back as his memories stretched, he was human and Lucain in one. He knew the Lucain body was the one he was born in, but no more. He remembered playing in front of his grandfather's desk as a puppy and then trundling back as a chubby-faced human boy to better manipulate a wooden train set. The duality had always been.

"It's--well, to be honest, I don't know," Hal admitted with a cough. "I just... am. I've been able to change all my life. I don't know how I learned to do it, or if I learned. It's--well, it's kind of like learning to speak. No one remembers how they learned to speak their mother tongue. It just happens. I know how I change," Hal said, staring straight forward, "but I don't remember 'figuring it out,' so to speak."

--- ((lines are for self note))

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Azura Rayume » 08/02/2011 9:01 PM

"Oh." That was all he could really say, oh. His curiosity had been peaked, but he had no idea how he could satisfy it. He couldn't help but wonder how much concentration such as shift could take if one had never done such a thing before, but apparently those who were born with the ability knew from the start. That still left him wondering if there was anyone else in this world like him, brought through means they failed to understand and left with such questions.

There was a slight hiss from underneath his breastplate. Lance scurried up his master's chest and up to his ear. With a frown, the little reptile tugged Arthur's ear, climbed through his master's hair and fussed with Arthur's expression until it almost matched Halvard's from before. Satisfied, the Bleeder entwined his claws in Arthur's hair then gave the man a slightly painful rap on the back of the neck with his pointed tail.

Arthur took a moment to really realize what the little beast had done. After the smack, his limbs numbed and his head felt fuzzy. He shook himself, then glared at Lancelot. "What was that fo-" he said before he realized that he was at eye level with Hal again. He stared at his hands- er, paws- in a mixture of confusion and delight. He glanced himself over, delighted at the snow white fur, deep blue overcoat, and golden suns that flowed together so wonderfully. He swished his tails and flicked his ears, seeming so giddy with himself that he forgot everything else.

Then he remembered Halvard again. Silly, forgetful Arthur not remembering he had company in this new friend of his. He beamed at Hal, chest puffed up proudly, crown slightly crooked between his ears. "Look what I did!" he said excitedly, tails wagging furiously like a young pup.

Wouldn't you like to see
Something Strange?

Azura Rayume
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 08/05/2011 2:07 PM

"Oh... oh my!" Halvard stood, staring for a few minutes, before he figured out what he was feeling. His eyes danced, and his mouth twisted up and down and back and forth, trying to figure out if it wanted a confused grimace or a grin. But then Arthur began bounding around like a small child, and Halvard decided he wanted to giggle after all. He laughed deeply while the new-Cain enjoyed his body.

"I'll be! It looks like you really did it," Halvard remarked. "I think that Bleeder knew better than you did. Do you suppose this was within you all along, or it got "added" to you, somehow, when you came here? I'll admit I'm not the most knowledgable about these things."

Arthur seemed to be admiring his fur, which Halvard, quite frankly, could understand. Arthur was uncommonly handsome, such to the point that Halvard (who was mostly unassuming golds and browns) couldn't help but feel a pang of good-natured jealousy. "It suits you," Halvard complimented.

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Azura Rayume » 12/11/2011 9:28 PM

((Sorry this took so long. School and all. Now finals are done, and I'm home for break. My only problem is with this blasted new keyboard.))

Arthur rocked back on his haunches, an awkward feeling for one so unaccustomed to such a position. He was glad for finding the trick to this change (though he would have to learn to accomplish the transformation without such embarrassing assistance) and equally so that Halvard liked this new appearance. He could see a shade in his friend's eyes, though had no idea as to why, for the other male was just as handsome as he believed himself to be. Which was more than a compliment in his mind, as haughty and self-centered as royalty often was.

"For the compliment, I thank you," he said with a smile, "and it should be returned to you ten fold. As for how I got this way, well, I must assume it came with arriving here. Never in my life have I seen someone change in such a manner, let alone myself. I believe Lance may have known something, considering his origin in this world. He probably knew all along and didn't say anything until now."

Wouldn't you like to see
Something Strange?

Azura Rayume
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 12/12/2011 12:51 AM

(((It's all good. I've been busy myself recently, though in my case, it's 'cuz of Christmas stuff. Not just the Secret Santa, but other stuff too, like a raffle contest and stuff.))

"Well, Bleeders don't exist in your world either, so it seems, so I would imagine he does," Halvard nodded. He looked to Lance, but he had been brought up in such a manner that to him, it was slightly rude to address someone else's Bleeder. To him, such a thing would be akin to bringing up someone's recent breakup with their long-term significant other on Valentine's Day. And yet, Arthur seemed to be at ease with the creature, and he didn't have their world's stigmas anyway. Still, Halvard could not quite bring himself to do it.

"Now, do you think you could change back? ...Not to rush you to do so, of course! But it would be frightful, being stuck in the wrong body, wouldn't it? ...Well, it's clearly not 'wrong,' it's a part of you now, but... arg, I really am making a mess of things. I guess what I mean is... it's good to know how to change both ways!"

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext