Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

The Day the Music Ended [P/L]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:02 AM

First Day, First Song: Poemè - By Secret Garden

The first time he saw her, she was standing on a corner.

Like most people, he didn’t stop to talk to her, nor did he acknowledge her as he passed. He had a tendency not to acknowledge most people, unless they pissed him off or wanted something from him. Generally, he was fine with ignoring just about everyone, and she was no different.

She even kind of blended into the background.

His feet pointed him towards home, towards a bed seldom made and an apartment that was as cold and empty as the rest of his life. He would have made it home, too, if the sound of music hadn’t stopped him.

Rafael De Santos didn’t consider himself a connoisseur of the fine arts. Hell, he didn’t consider himself a connoisseur of anything. He didn’t even like music all that much, and the idea of staring at a painting for any amount of time made him almost physically ill.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Re: The Day the Music Ended [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:02 AM

But the music that had frozen him in his tracks was so out of place in this city of clogged air and bustling people, that he couldn’t help but turn and look.

The woman he had passed looked more like a girl to him. She was tiny, slender, and a fragile centerpiece in a world that kept on moving around her. Everyone who passed was as oblivious to her music as he had been mere moments ago; they didn’t stop to acknowledge her, and didn’t even bother to throw a few yen into the case lying open at her feet.

The artificial light of the city reflected off her violin, illuminating the polished wood and the bow that slid expertly across the ivory strings beneath her fingertips. Her hair was a shade of chocolate brown that he had to admit he’d never seen before, and her pale skin told the story of a girl who spent most of her time indoors, or in the darkness. Her eyes were closed, one soft cheek resting on the rounded edge of the instrument in her small hands, and he had no idea what colors those orbs were beneath those soft lashes.

He’d guess they were pink. She looked like that kind of girl.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:03 AM

Her song was a haunting, lyrical masterpiece, and something deep within his soul was soothed and enticed all at the same time. Unconsciously, his eyes drifted closed, and he listened to the music, letting it fill him with a sense of…of something he’d never felt before.

Rafael didn’t know what peace was, but he was sure this came pretty damn close to it.

Then, as if out of nowhere, the music stopped. Rafael’s eyes jerked open, and he found himself watching the girl from a distance as she bent over and set the violin back into the case. There was no money inside, and Rafael silently wondered what the purpose of playing on a corner was if not for the money, but the placid expression on her face told him that she didn’t seem to mind.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

The latches on the case were clasped tightly together, clicking shut with a sound that was inaudible to him at such a distance. Her fingers, so delicate and dainty, lifted the case over her shoulder, and Rafael observed her as she checked a watch strapped to her wrist, as if she might be late for some other important appointment, frowning faintly.

She glanced back at him only once, the only unmoving stranger in a sea of milling people, and smiled.

Rafael gave a start, and a scowl slid into place as he fixed the woman with his most intimidating glare. Her smile merely widened as she skipped off into the crowd, violin and case in tow, and disappeared.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

His face relaxed only marginally, a thoughtful look marring his features as he watched her go, and idly, Rafael wondered if she would be back tomorrow. Then, cursing himself and his stupidity, he reminded himself that it didn’t matter, because she was just a stranger. He didn’t care if he saw her again, because she was just some weirdo performing on a street corner.

As he turned to go, dreading the walk back to his empty apartment, Rafael wondered when it was he started lying to himself.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:04 AM

The Second Time, The Second Song: Heart String by Secret Garden

The second time he saw her, he was drunk.

Rafael didn’t usually drink. To be honest, he tried to stay away from all forms of alcohol in general. When he was drunk, he found, he often did things that were even more monumentally stupid than when he was sober. Bad things. Things that got people hurt. Or had him waking up the next morning in a gutter and wondering what the hell had happened the night before.

Generally, he blamed Graham. Not because the man had anything to do with it, but just because he blamed Graham for everything.

Even paper cuts.

Even drunkenness.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:04 AM

He’d stopped to lean against a building for support, and his alcohol addled mind noticed that it was even darker than usual; he didn’t usually walk home this late, but after a rough day at work that would’ve tested the patience of even a saint (which Rafael knew he was most certainly not) he’d needed something, anything, to take the edge off.

Truthfully, alcohol had seemed like a good idea at the time. But now he wasn’t so sure.

There was a churning in his stomach and a pounding in his head that he was certain hadn’t been there a few hours before, and somewhere in the recesses of his foggy brain, he thought he might be sick. But his body was too numb to bother with something so inconsequential, so he kept up his stumbling pace, pushing off the building and ambling in a path that he was certain was straight, even as his wobbly steps began to tilt him to the side.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:05 AM

The music was what caught his attention first.

Even if it was late, there was still a sizeable crowd, so at first, he didn’t see her. He managed to crane his neck and look over the tops of a hundred different heads without falling over, and he considered that quite the accomplishment. He considered it even more of an accomplishment when he spotted the back of her white shirt and that long mane of deep chocolate hair.

If he’d been sober, he probably would’ve kicked himself and forced himself to go home. As it was, inhibitions (Or what he had left of them) were thrown to the wind along with their good friend caution, and he managed to squeeze through the crowd and make his way towards her.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Something of his usual self must’ve won out, because he stopped across the street from her corner, idly noting that he now referred to the corner of a public street as ‘hers,’ and then dismissing the thought because it was a stupid one and had nothing to do with anything.

She was holding the violin against her shoulder, her pale cheek resting against the same polished, oak wood as before. Her fingers danced along the edges of the instrument’s neck, bow lilting this way and that along the pearlescent strings. A voice in the back of his mind said that she was rather lovely, and that the violin looked like it belonged there, perched just beneath her chin and resting on the curve of one delicate shoulder.

He promptly smothered said voice with a pillow and stabbed it repeatedly.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

The song was another haunting melody, one that made his stomach churn even faster, and had his head spinning as he tried to absorb the tune and soak in the sound of her music.

The song she played was not one he recognized - not that he’d have recognized it anyways; he didn’t usually listen to music, let alone orchestral music -  but it was heartbreaking and sad and Rafael wondered, if only briefly, whether or not she had composed it herself and what that said about the woman who played it.

Then he told himself that he didn’t care, because she was still a stranger, even as the song ended and she lifted the violin from her shoulder. He had to remind himself that he wasn’t going to see her again, despite the fact that he’d seen her twice in the same week, and that she didn’t matter and he wasn’t interested in learning her name and God why was his head spinning and was her hair always so pretty?

When she turned and smiled at him this time, Rafael forgot to scowl.

Her eyes were pink.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:06 AM

The Third Time, The Third Song: The Reel - by Secret Garden

The third time he saw her, he’d just gotten his ass kicked.

Well, not that he’d admit it. But technically, Graham had kicked his ass. Well, not technically - literally. The man had walked up to him when he had his back turned, kicked him in the ass, and ran.

Rafael had been so stunned, he quite honestly hadn’t been able to do anything about it. Even the vending machine he’d hurled five minutes later was five minutes too late, and he’d ended up taking out someone’s care before he realized that Graham was long gone.

So, needless to say, he was in even more of a foul mood than usual, and he didn’t quite notice where his feet were taking him.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:06 AM

When Rafael looked up, the streetlight had flickered on above him, and he realized that he was standing across from ‘her corner.’ She was absent, of course; he didn’t exactly expect her to always be there. Over the past week, he realized he’d been subconsciously taking the route past her corner, hoping to catch a glimpse of her, to hear another melody, or just…something. Not that he’d admit it, of course because if he admitted it, then it was like he was practically stalking her.

Rafael De Santos did not stalk people, damn it.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:07 AM

But day after day, as he passed the unoccupied corner, he realized that this was tantamount to stalking. And he hated himself for it. And again, that little voice in the back of his head whispered that he should stop and talk to her the next time he saw her, that he should find out what her name was, maybe get to know her.

Said little voice was promptly shanked, tied in a sack, and tossed into a proverbial river.

Rafael was about to turn and head down the familiar road that took him back to his apartment, when movement out of the corner of his eye caught his attention.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:07 AM

He turned to gaze across the street, watching in morbid fascination as the woman - girl, he corrected himself - appeared and set her case on the street. She kneeled down on one knee, and clicked the clasps open, and as she lifted the gleaming instrument from it’s case, Rafael wondered why she came here every night. She never left with any money, and no one - minus him, of course - seemed to even know she was there.

What was in it for her?

His eyes followed her movements as she lifted the violin and settled it against the curve of her shoulder. His mind chose that moment to acknowledge the fact that she was wearing a red shirt today, instead of white. Last time she’d worn white, and he hadn’t realized it, but he decided he liked that color on her better.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:08 AM

The bow was held between her delicate fingers, and as it slowly slid across the ivory strings, a low, lilting tune warbled up from the violin. Rafael subconsciously took a step forward, his feet leaving the curb without him even realizing it even as the first notes vibrated and hummed into the air.

Today, the melody wasn’t haunting. It wasn’t sad or thought invoking. It was light and cheery, and for some reason, Rafael found the way her bow danced quickly across the strings to be mesmerizing. The song was lively, and it made his heart leap and his feet bring him ever closer, even as he realized that the faint, airy feeling in his chest was a strange, and utterly foreign urge to dance.

Rafael De Santos had never danced in his life.

And he wouldn’t start now.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next