Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Re: The Day the Music Ended [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:08 AM

But the tune of her song, and the way she swayed and jerked along with it in a tantalizing display of musical prowess made him want to throw inhibitions and humility to the wind and just…dance.

The song ended almost as quickly as it had begun, and Rafael found himself missing the way the violin sat on her shoulder as she played, or the look of concentration that would mar her pretty face as she squeezed her eyes shut and focused on hitting the right notes.

Without realizing it, he’d made his way all the way across the street, and Rafael came back to his senses only a few feet away from the girl. This time, when she ceased playing, she did not bend to replace her violin, but instead stared up at him expectantly, that same, soft smile on her face that promised everything and nothing all in the same motion.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:08 AM

They stood in silence, and Rafael was, for once in his life, at a loss as to what to say. Did he introduce himself? Did he ask for her name? A little voice in the back of his head told him that he very much wanted to know her name, but it was promptly silenced by a flying kick to the throat and a well tied gag. So they stood there, staring at one another, him at a loss, and her expectant.

After a few more moments, the girl’s smile faded and she bent down on one knee, replacing her instrument into it’s case, and reverently snapping it closed. When she straightened, she was holding it in her arms, and her smile had returned as she said, very simply, one word....

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:09 AM

“Noel.”

Rafael’s brain chose that moment to give itself a good jump start, and he replied almost automatically. “Rafael.”

This seemed to please the girl, because her smile widened ever so slightly. Then without another word, she turned on her heel and skipped off into the crowd, her hair brushing against his hand as she twirled around. Rafael watched her go with a look that was half lost, and half confused, wondering what, exactly had just happened.

In the back of his mind, he idly noted that her hair felt like silk.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

The Fourth Time, The Fourth Song: Song at the End of the Day - By Secret Garden

The fourth time he saw her, he was pissed.

He’d had his usual day at work. Nothing out of the ordinary; waiting on customers, cleaning glasses, listening to idle gossip and chit-chat and not giving a rat’s ass about any of it. It had been an average, ordinary, normal day.

Until Graham had showed up.

Rafael knew he needed to learn to control his temper. It had gotten him into more trouble and more hopeless situations than he could count. But where Graham was concerned, he also knew that there was absolutely no way he would be able to rein in his anger. And that was what got him into trouble in the first place.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

So, twelve broken bar stools, five snapped tables, and twenty shattered glasses later, Rafael found himself out of a job. Not permanently, of course. His boss had said that he would be working off his debt to pay back the business for what he’d broken, and then he could resume his work as normal, as long as it didn’t happen again.

He silently swore it never would. At least, not at work. Wrecking other establishments was fine, but wrecking his place of employment was quite obviously a big no-no. A job equaled money, and money equaled an apartment.

And cigarettes.

He couldn’t forget cigarettes.

And of course clothes.

Because running around naked with cigarettes just seemed ridiculous.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:10 AM

When he’d managed to finally get everything cleaned up at the bar, and his boss had finally allowed him to leave, Rafael had stormed off into the night, intent on finding something to wreck or picking a fight with some worthless, idiotic street thugs. Maybe a whole gang. Yeah, a gang sounded good. Plenty of guys to beat the hell out of and work off some of his anger.

He hadn’t realized that he was stomping through her corner until he collided with her.

There was an ear splitting crack, a strangled yelp, and the sound of wood hitting pavement and snapping in half.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

For a moment, all Rafael could do was stand there, dumbfounded, as he gazed down at the strange girl who had, more often than not and much to his chagrin, been plaguing his thoughts. Her violin lay beside her, and beside that, lay her bow.

Which was broken.

In two.

Rafael silently willed himself to move, to help her, to do something, damn it, because standing there like and idiot wasn’t going to solve any of his problems. When he finally managed to convince himself to function again, he swiftly bent down and lifted her broken bow into his hands. The tender, delicate wood snapped even further, nearly disintegrating into a pile of splinters and string as he held it out in his palm.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

The girl - Noel, her name was Noel, he reminded himself - was staring at him in something that could have resembled shock. Her pink eyes were wide with surprise as she looked over her bow, her hand automatically moving to pick up her scattered violin. Her fingers shook as her free hand reached out to touch the splintered pieces of her bow, and then her gaze drifted up to Rafael’s face.

He quite honestly was at a loss. He’d been breaking things his entire life, always destroying things that were important, or ruining someone’s life along the way. His hands, he’d long ago decided, were made for nothing but destruction, and they would and could obliterate anything in his path. But looking down at the broken bow that had held in both palms, he silently wished he had the ability to heal, because right now, all he wanted to do was mend the bow and ask her to play him a song.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:11 AM

Rafael wasn’t even sure what he was supposed to do now as her delicate hands gently reached out to take the broken bow from him and place it in her case. He followed her movements, feeling his face crumble slightly, and the words ‘I’m sorry,’ were stuck in his throat and just wouldn’t seem to come out.

Noel merely smiled, and Rafael did not understand that smile, because it was the one she’d given him three times before. That same, kind curve of her lips, that said everything would be okay, even when it clearly wasn’t. Perplexed, he knelt there in front of her, watching as she fiddled with her case, her violin sitting patiently on her lap as she reached into the velvety depths of the instrument holder beside her.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:11 AM

“It’s okay,” she said at last, drawing something from a hidden compartment, and holding it up for him to see. “I always bring a spare. Everything will be fine. Don‘t worry.”

She smiled as she hauled herself to her feet, and reached down to gently take his hand and bring him along with her. Rafael dumbly allowed himself to be pulled up, staring down at her in quiet wonderment as she set the violin on the curve of one delicate, pale shoulder, and the bow along the vibrant pearl of the strings.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:12 AM

Quietly, her melody filled the air, and Rafael noted that it was another light, airy tune, one that filled his heart near to bursting and made him want to throw back his head and laugh. His anger had evaporated, like water in the sun, and he found himself closing his eyes as he stood there, no more than a foot from the girl, and listened to her play.  In his mind’s eye, he watched her; brown silken hair dancing in the breeze, white skirt playfully flowing around her, black shirt hugging her curves and moving like fluid with her delicate, well-practiced movements.

Idly, Rafael noted that it was the first time that breaking something had ever been ‘okay.’

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

The Final Time, The Final Song: Lament for a Frozen Flower - By the Secret Garden

The fifth time he saw her, it was the last.

Rafael hadn’t really known.

He didn’t often read the paper; in fact, he hardly ever did. It was too damn depressing. There was always news of someone getting mugged or some poor sap getting stabbed or some shit like that, and frankly, he really didn’t like reading about it.

But something about that night, passing by the newsstand, made him stop and pause to look down at one of the articles on the front. It actually looked rather interesting; it was about an orchestra that had come to town, and he noticed that there was a piece on the violinists. Perhaps he could buy it and read about it; he’d had the weirdest urge to learn more about the instrument ever since he’d first seen Noel on her corner.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Paying for the paper and tucking it under his arm, Rafael unconsciously found himself heading towards ‘Noel’s corner,’ as he’d now officially dubbed it. He walked by it all the time now; on his way to and from work, out to buy groceries, or generally just when he was wandering through the city. Something about the spot, and the girl who sometimes occupied it, drew him in, and without really realizing it, a smile curved along the edges of his lips.

His step was much lighter than it had been these past few days; there hadn’t been anymore incidents at work in the past month, and he hadn’t seen Graham in some time. In fact, if he could tentatively take a stab at it, he’d say that this week had been one of his best. Even if he hadn’t seen Noel in nearly a month.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:13 AM

That last bit was what was bothering him. Every day after work, he’d looked for the girl, but she’d been nowhere to be found. Her corner remained conspicuously empty, and Rafael couldn’t help but think that it looked desolate without her standing on it, clad in her blue shirt and her brown loafers with her hair tied in some sort of messy bun or allowed to flow free.

She was on his mind more and more as the time passed, and Rafael found that he couldn’t quite get her out of his head. Just thinking about her and about her music made his heart feel lighter than it had in years, and he actually found himself looking forward to listening to her when he walked home. Their last meeting had been awkward at first, but it had turned out just fine in the end.

When she’d finished her song, they had both smiled at each other, and bid one another goodbye, promising to meet again soon because Noel said she would be interested to know more about Rafael, and Rafael couldn’t help but admit that he wanted to know everything about her. She’d left with a bounce in her step and a cheerful ‘Sayonara, Rafael.’

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/12/2012 12:13 AM

Smiling faintly to himself, Rafael found that he’d wandered to a bench that sat directly across from her corner; he checked for the girl with the chocolate brown hair, but seeing no sign of her once again, sat down on the bench and opened the paper, intending to read as he waited for a short time, in case Noel showed up later in the night.

His eyes perused the orchestra piece, noting dully that it focused on the cellist and flutists more than the violinists. His gaze drifted down the paper until he found what he was seeking, and he settled in to read what he believed was an informative piece on violins.

But as his eyes traveled down the page, they froze on the picture of a familiar face, and Rafael leaned in closer, gazing down at none other than Noel.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext