Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Re: An Unexpected Crash and a Crazed Scientist (Jed and I) [

Postby Kitsumi » 08/01/2014 7:51 PM

Navvos drove them back to the house. He was a bit surprised by their sudden resolve to get 'out of his hair' as they put it. Most people would jump at the chance to live freely at someone else's home. But if these guys were independent, he could respect that. "I don't know, not at the moment at least." He answered honestly. "But I can ask around. I have a lot of connections at the lab, and I'm sure I can find some pretty good-paying work for a mechanic. You'll probably be able to start working at a pretty high wage."

He frowned as he glanced at Des. "I'm afraid I don't frequent many bars, though. I have my own well-stocked bar, so I don't get out much for drinking." He tapped his chin thoughtfully. "I suppose I can ask around for that as well. Actually..." His eyes lit up. "Aha! I think I know of a guy who owns a new nightclub. He was looking for help. He's looking mainly for qualified bartenders, and I doubt that you have the qualification he's looking for, having come from...well, wherever you came from. But if you can prove that you're good, he'll put you to work. Impress him and you'll definitely be bringing in some money."

like sunlight shining through the leaves
we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Pen :: Wishlist ::Breeders :: Docs :: Rentals :: Journal
Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 7179
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/01/2014 8:15 PM

Norr looked forward to the idea of working as a mechanic. He could recall the days he spent repairing space vessels to buy his speeder. He could tell that his old friend wasn't too happy. Des grimaced at the idea of working in a nightclub. He'd seen nightclubs in the streets of Nar Shaada. Shady businesses full of scum and crime. Des would much rather bathe in hutt slime. "I don't think nightclubs here would be quite the same, Des," said Norr. Des looked at him, "You using one of those powers of yours to read my mind?" "I don't have to. It's written on your face." Des settled for the benefit of the doubt. "So who is this friend of yours? Does he peddle in drugs and slaves? Or is he at least respectable?"

Like a mighty wind that bends the trees
We are strong
United
Mates

Imp. Docs - Zoo Pen - Wishlist
Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 22
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/02/2014 8:07 PM

Shooting a sideways glare at Des, Navvos tried to contain himself - and failed. "Your attitude is completely uncalled for. I'm offering to get you a job with little to no effort on your part, and you're already expecting your boss to be some sort of scumbag?" Navvos had been rearranging the books on the bookshelf before Des' comment, and now he slammed a book on the shelf angrily. "Even worse, is knowing that you assume I would even associate with those sorts of people. Do you really think I would stoop so low?"

He shook his head, trying to force back the inner demon that threatened to take control. He won the battle - this time, at least. Krypton, his alternate personality, would not make an appearance tonight. But Navvos was ticked off enough that he was quite a bit ruder than he would have been before. "How about you go and try to get a job on your own, Des? See how well that goes. You have no papers or identification - nothing local, at least. You don't even have a birth certificate or anything here, do you? You're screwed, without me. And yet you have the gall to insult me and the company I keep?" He was practically shaking with rage.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/03/2014 2:42 PM

Norr glared at Des, hoping he'd get the point that now was a good time to apologize. Des held his head low, but stepped forward and spoke. "I'm sorry, Navvos. It was out of my place to insult you or anyone you befriend. Especially with how kind you've been to us, ever since we met you. Can you forgive me?" He stood there, not sure if Navvos would accept it or throw him out of the house. Hoping it would help, Norr walked up beside Navvos and spoke softly. "I'm sorry for my friends behavior. Where we come from, nightclubs are thought of as social places for gangsters and criminals. But it was still unacceptable for Des to speak that way to you."

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/03/2014 4:33 PM

The apology didn't do too much to diminish Navvos' anger - after all, he had already dealt with Des' attitude very recently. But the explanation that Norr provided was enough for Navvos to let it go...this time.

"Fine, apology accepted," he said. Now that his voice was devoid of anger, it sounded tired and worn. "I didn't realize that using the term 'nightclub' would make you think it was some sort of den for criminal activity. But please remember this - I myself am a moral man. The company I keep is held to a certain standard. I cannot choose who I work with, but I choose who I call a 'friend' and if someone is referred to as such by me, you can assume that they do not engage in illegal activities or perversion of any sort. Understood?"

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/03/2014 5:22 PM

Des was kept in suspense, hoping that Navvos would forgive him. To his relief, Navvos had, and Des vowed not to upset him any further. He knew that if he did, he'd end up on the streets without a home to call his own. "Thank you," Norr said, showing his appreciation for Navvos' understanding. "It won't happen again, I promise. Any friend of yours is a friend of mine," Des assured him. "Would I be able to meet this friend sometime soon? I'd like to make a good first time impression on him. Especially if he's a friend of yours."

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/03/2014 5:55 PM

The scientist shrugged off the thanks. They needn't thank him for forgiveness - bitterness would only hurt himself, so it was better to forgive. And for him, the company was well needed. Ever since he had moved away from his family for this job, he had been feeling quite lonely.

"Don't worry about it," he replied. "And sure, Des. I'll call Pete tonight and set up a meeting with the three of us tomorrow." After a quick pause, he added, "How would you two like to see my bar? It's not nearly as big as the one you would be working at, Des, but I can show you at least some of the different alcohols we have here, so you can get yourself acquainted to them and their flavor. No drinking too much, though, especially not if we're going to be meeting with Pete tomorrow." He chuckled. "It wouldn't do to meet your future employer while suffering from a raging hangover."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/04/2014 6:22 PM

It was getting late when Pete had decided to close the club, but no later than he usually closed up. He locked the doors and decided he should relax. He grabbed a bottle of red wine and a glass and walked back to his office. Once there, Pete threw himself in his rolling computer chair and set his feet on the desk. He popped the cork off and poured a drink for himself, setting the bottle on the desk, next to a picture frame. He took a couple sips, then grabbed the frame, looking over every detail. "Well, it's been five years. You left it all to me." He swirled the drink, then took another sip. "But I'd still trade it all just to see you again." He set the frame back down and took another drink before leaning his head back. "I still don't get why you had to go out that day." He placed the glass back down on the desk, then got up. "I miss you both. So does Angela." He picked up the frame once more, staring into the eyes of his parents.

"Don't worry, Navvos," he said, trying to bring some assurance he'd be okay. "If there's anything I know, it's alcohol. I use to mix drinks for Quill when I was only eighteen. I'll stay up all night researching Evelonian drinks, if I have to." When they got to the bar, Des hopped right behind it. He started to reach for a bottle, but paused. "Is there any chance we could call him now?" Des asked, hoping to confirm an interview.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/04/2014 7:27 PM

It didn't take long for Navvos to lead the two other men to his bar, which was in the furnished basement of his house. "Here we are. You can go ahead and experiment, Des, if you like. As I said, just don't drink too much of it yourself. Enough to taste if you must, but that's it."

At the question, Navvos slowly nodded. "Yes, I don't see why not. It's not too late yet, and Pete is probably still up. Let me give him a call. You go ahead and start getting used to our alcohol. Feel free to ask if you have any questions." He pulled out his cell phone, and dialed in the number that he hadn't been using too often lately since work and his visitors had been keeping him busy.

"Hey, Pete? Yeah, it's Navvos. I know it's been a long time, but I was wondering if you're still looking for some help at your nightclub. I have a guy here who needs work, and says he has some experience as a bartender. Only catch is...he may not be used to our kind of alcohol."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/05/2014 10:35 PM

Pete was sitting back in his chair again, almost done with his third glass of wine. Pete wasn't expecting anyone to call, especially when he detested visitors of any sort when he was drunk. He didn't get drunk often, but every year, he'd down a full bottle of wine in memory of his parents. So there he sat, halfway through the bottle and almost drunk. Suddenly the phone started ringing, causing Pete to fall forward in his seat. He gathered himself before the third ring, then picked up. "Hello?" he said in the way you would a question. Before he could gather his thoughts, Navvos was speaking faster than he could comprehend. "Hold on. One thing at a time." He took a couple seconds to review what he heard. "Did you say you found someone?" If that was true, then that's one less problem he had to solve. Unfortunately, that also meant he'd have to interview him also. "I take it you want me to interview him. Why don't you swing by, say... eleven?" Hopefully, Pete could recover from whatever hangover he knew he'd have by then. Something odd Navvos said threw him off. "What do you mean by not use to our kinds of alcohol?"

Norr and Des went through the bar, pouring as many types of alcohol as they could in individual shot glasses. As they tasted them, they tried figuring out what they were equivalent to back home. By the time Navvos got off they phone, they'd figured out at least half of his supply.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/09/2014 12:44 PM

Navvos held the phone to his ear, and listened to Pete's reply. "Sure, eleven sounds fine. I'll even bring lunch if you want - Chinese takeout sound good to you?" He cleared his throat awkwardly. "Yeah, well...he kinda hails from a different...erm...universe." Before Pete had the chance to ask what Navvos was talking about, he launched into an explanation. "He passed through a worm hole with his buddy, and now both of them are stranded here since we don't have the parts for their ship. I know it sounds crazy, but it's the truth. Anyways...I'm sure you were busy, so I'll let you go. See you at eleven!" He closed the phone, not really giving Pete the chance to question him further. Des could explain for himself when the time came.

The scientist turned back to the two men. "Well, interview is set up for tomorrow, Des. I'll come with you to visit with Pete and to help explain things if needed." He gestured towards the alcohol. "Any of it tasting at least a little familiar?"

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/11/2014 12:12 AM

Before Pete could respond, all he heard was Navvos' rushed explanation followed by the click of the phone line ending. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow," he said to the dead line. He set the receiver back on the phone and looked at the bottle. "Looks like I gotta be sober in the morning." He dropped the half full bottle in the trashcan then headed for the door. "Damn. And that was a good year."

When Naavos returned, Des pointed out several he had familiarized himself with. As he held up a bottle that read Jack Daniels, he explained "This is a type of whiskey, isn't it. Back home we'd call it Whyren's Reserve. It's also known as Correllian Whiskey." He held up another bottle labeled Bud Light. "And this... this is an ale. It's similar to Mandalorian Ale, only less bitter and less potent. I'm guessing that's why it says 'light.'" Des named off half a dozen more before he asked, "Shouldn't we get some sleep before the interview?'

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/12/2014 4:40 PM

It was a genuine surprise to Navvos how much Des had figured out in such a short amount of time. "You really were a bartender back home, weren't you?" He chuckled. "I wonder if you'll recognize a lot of the mixed drinks that Pete will want you to learn, then. Either way, I hope you're good at memorizing things - at least when it comes to your alcohol. You'll have to know exactly what to give a customer when they ask for a specific drink."

He checked his watch. "Oh my, I hadn't realized it was so late. We probably should be getting to bed." He said a quick goodnight to the two, and then headed to sleep in his comfortable bed.

The next morning, Navvos was up and cooking bacon and eggs before either Des or Norr were awake. He popped some toast in the toaster, and then set out three plates of food and three tall glasses of orange juice. He strongly believed that a good day started with a good breakfast - and Des could certainly use a 'good day' if this interview were to go well. Hopefully Des' attitude wouldn't be a problem...

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/12/2014 5:14 PM

Norr and Des slept like rocks, nothing waking them through the entire night. Norr woke up first, stretching out of the single-sized bed at exactly seven o'clock sharp. His brief jedi training had given him precision in everything, unlike the life he had as a speeder racer. He walked to where Des had slept, then knocked on the door three times. "Des, wake up. You've got an interview today." Des simply turned over in his sleep. "Des! I'm warning you." Des turned over again. "I'm *yawwwwwn* up." he trailed off, falling back asleep. Norr simply waved his hand, sending the mattress to flip over, and headed downstairs. Des tumbled to the floor, waking him instantly. He stood as soon as he got his wits about him and rushed to get ready, throwing his shirt on, then his shoes and scarf...

Norr got to the kitchen by the time Des stood. "Good morning, Navvos." He took a big whiff of air. "Another one of your culinary creations? It sure smells better than the processed food we'd store in my ship." He took a seat at the table.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/13/2014 8:40 PM

Navvos nodded his head towards Norr. "Good morning. I see you're the early riser out of the two of you. I can't say I'm very surprised to see that." He grinned, and pointed to one of the plates. "I wouldn't call it a culinary creation, but it should be a nice breakfast for the three of us. Surely you've had bacon and eggs before? I also made some toast - do you like jam or butter? I put both on the table."

When Des finally entered the kitchen, Navvos was already sitting down, although he hadn't begun to eat yet. "Ah, there you are. Let's go ahead and have some breakfast. Then I was thinking perhaps I show you around the town you'll be working in before your interview. We should have plenty of time unless you take hours eating. It would probably be a good idea for you to know the town you'll be working in, especially if you end up taking the bus or something on days that I can't drive you there. I've had a good long break from work, but I have to go back next week."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext