Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Looking For Talented Young Mages (OPEN!)

Postby Freezair » 06/06/2013 3:11 AM

(Emiliano Rook is a "perma-anthro"--he's covered in fur and has a Lucain head, but stands on two legs and has hands.)

Even among the hustle and bustle of Nabias, Emiliano Rook was a person who stood out. The striking blue and gold fur was one thing enough. But in a world where most beings were animal or human--or one or the other, in alternates--here was a Lucain who stood like a man, who worked with a man's hands, and yet still swiveled pointed ears in the direction of sounds and bent his snout to the ground to sniff it. And if his ways alone were not enough of an oddity, his dress was--where most of the people around him preferred their shirts, pants and skirts, or the simple furry nudity of animals, Rook trailed long flowing robes in his wake, decked out in celestial colors like navy, purple and gold. Faint sparkles were sewn into the hems of every one.

Rook had even brought a little patch of oddity into Nabias with him today. In the middle of a crowded market square, he had somehow build himself a little dome of quiet, where the air was still and smelled of incense. Stalls draped in royal purple tablecloths, fringed with gold, surrounded his little booth. Signs decorated each one:

"LOOKING FOR TALENTED YOUNG MAGES--INQUIRE WITHIN."

What could the curious Rook be planning?

((Looking for characters with magical capabilities to come and visit Rook! I'm sure he has some fun things planned for them... ;D))

I'm so cool (too bad I'm a loser).
I'm so smart (too bad I can't get anything figured out)!
I'm so brave (too bad I'm a baby).
I'm so fly
That's probably why it feels just like I'm falling for the first time!

I'm so green (it's really amazing).
I'm so clean (too bad I can't get all the dirt off of me)!
I'm so sane (It's driving me crazy)!
It's so strange
I can't believe I'm falling for the first time!

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 80
Donate

Re: Looking For Talented Young Mages (OPEN!)

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/06/2013 10:30 AM

[Hope you don't mind me dropping in!]

Teira stood in the shadows, her robes billowing in the slight breeze. She wasn't afraid; merely antisocial. The mage - for what else could he be, dressed like that? - seemed oblivious to her prescence, and she studied him closely, observing how he conducted himself. Having more than one form of her own, of course, she understood how difficult it could be when one's feet weren't exactly one's own, and she was surprised by the ease with which he moved. Clearly he was used to this form; it may even be his primary one. She eyed the signs on the tables around him cautiously, yet with intrigue. What could he possibly want with young mages?

She bristled as she recalled her own joining of the war effort; or rather, her other side's joining. She of course, had no input into the matter, as it was before she switched, and the contract was binding. Perhaps this young man was looking for the same sort of sign-ups? She took in a breath and raised her head, stepping forward out of the shade and into the peaceful, incense-smelling circle. She was going to find out.

[1]
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2181
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/07/2013 1:34 AM

Rook's ears pricked first, followed by the rest of his head. He looked up from his own hands--in his left hand, he had a series of smooth, river-rounded pebbles, and he seemed to be hypnotized by his own playing with them. But rather than distracted, when he looked up, he looked as focused as if he'd always been looking that direction. Straight at the girl who had just walked up to his stand.

"Hello, young one," he said. His voice was deep and commanding, as if he spent a lot of time speaking to the backs of rooms. (Which was true--he was a professor--but that wasn't apparent just by looking at him.) "I take it you were drawn here by my signs. Do you have some magical capacity?" He sniffed the air, as if he could smell the magic he sought. A curious expression drifted across his eyes, but it was gone quickly. "If not, I suggest you leave. But if so, I would be pleased to meet you. Do you possess magic? How trained are you in its use? What sort of skills do you find yourself drawn to?"

((Hey, if it's open, it's open! C'mon in! :D))

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 06/08/2013 3:37 AM

ImageImage

A smaller-than-normal Drakel scampered up to the booth, somehow managing to carry a stuffed toy that was much larger than her. She seemed to pause at seeing the sign, and set down her toy to get a better look. She then squealed with delight, clapping her paws together.

"Mister! Mister!" she cried, running up to the Lucain-man while dragging the stuffed Trumpetter behind her. "Are you really teaching about magic? How much does that cost? I really really want to learn, but my parents always said no! But today I got away from them and now I found you so it must be a sign!"

In fact, this Drakel was not a child at all. Oh no, she was a fully grown adult with an odd voice and a clever mind. While she had no magical powers of her own, there were several thin gray bands hooked over her horns, that anyone would be hard-pressed to notice. One of them simply changed her aura to make her seem inherently magical. Another one gave her the ability to mimic magic she had already seen. The last one gave her a psychic connection with the toy-actually not a lifeless thing, but a living creature.

Morgan will be pleased if we learn more about this, Warbler, she said through the link.

You are playing a dangerous game, Melodiferous. The Drakel sighed. Warbler only used her full name when she was especially upset or worried. But the ring that gave her a false magical aura should also mask Warbler's own inherent magic. Their disguise was flawless.

[1, 1]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
You're my crystal and clover
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot
What would you do if I stole you tonight? (Ahh ahh)
Why waste time? (Ahh ahh)

'Cause the world goes on without us
It doesn't matter what we do
All silhouettes with no regrets
When I'm melting into you
'Cause I belong in your arms
I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2597
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/08/2013 5:52 AM

Rook sniffed the air as the small Drakel approached. He eyed the stuffed toy she was carrying warily. He'd had enough experience with magically-created creatures to know that that Trumpetter was not everything it seemed. He'd had his hand in creating more than a few of the Cotton Trumpetter species. Another sniff near the Drakel's body. She did seem to be magically powerful. But something about her aura felt... off to the great magician. He could not quite put his finger on what. But he made a note to be vigilant.

The Drakel opened her mouth, however, and he wanted to bury his ears in his paws. Goodness, she was perky. A certain degree of passion was good. But such unbridled energy could be difficult to discipline.

"I never said I was teaching magic, my child," he replied. "I merely said I was seeking talented young mages." His nose crinkled. "You do seem to have a talent. But even had I said I was teaching people, I would not dream of educating a child in magic against the wishes of her parents. Magic is a very dangerous thing, and it is very difficult to keep secret. A magician who practices on her own threatens to drive herself mad with the burden of her knowledge. Mages are often introverts, but they cannot afford to be loners. Do you understand, my child?"

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 06/08/2013 8:33 AM

Damnit. The "overly-enthusiastic child" persona usually allayed most suspicions about her, but it sometimes did block her from what she wanted. She had picked this to better throw him off her trail, but now it seemed it was hindering her ability to get in. Well, at least he didn't seem to realize what she actually was.

"You're not teaching? Oh, but I can already do some things! Like this!" she chirped, waving her paws in the air. A collection of tiny rainbow-colored sparkles exploded in front of her. "And this!" She screwed up her face in an expression of concentration, and Warbler began to rise into the air, slowly and jerkily, as if controlled by an unskilled puppeteer. With a bit more of false concentration, she began to spin around, then glide in a reasonably smooth trajectory. She waved another paw, and the stuffed toy dropped back into her arms.

"And, well, maybe my parents will be here soon! Then you can talk with them! Because even if you're not gonna teach me, maybe you can convince them to let me learn, right?" Yeah, change of plans. She'd just hang around here while Warbler summoned one of their colleagues to be her "parent."

[2, 2]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/08/2013 3:51 PM

Teira stood, slightly affronted, though it didn't show through her mask of silent indifference. Had she really just been questioned about her magical abilities by this mage? Could he not see the robes she was wearing? Couldn't he smell the magic in her? She hadn't failed to notice the way he had sniffed when he mentioned her magic. And then, just as she was about to respond, she had been shoved out of the way by an annoying child- or what looked like a child, though there was something very... off about her.

Thankfully though, the mage seemed disapproving of the child's efforts, and she looked to catch his eye again before clearing her throat quietly and answering his question: "I do indeed possess magic - though I must admit, only part of the time. I am well-trained in a range of skills, beginning with combat and healing, on to conjuration and elemental manipulation, and through to mere illusion, potion-brewing and the art of spellcasting - though I admit I do not enchant things. It is nice to meet a fellow mage, though I wish to know what you are seeking fellow mages for - perhaps I can be of service?" She was proud of her skills, and she knew that this mage assumed he was her superior - or at the very least, her elder. Whether that was true or not remained to be determined...

[2]
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2181
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/09/2013 2:31 AM

Seeing the crowd of rainbow glitter the small Drakel shot out gave Rook the overwhelming urge to sneeze. Even her magic was overwhelmingly energetic. It would take a great deal of discipline to have this one work with them. A great deal. And then there was the matter of her parents... and the Cotton Trumpetter, who seemed more than willing to hide their true nature. Rook nodded towards the child with a small frown. "I see that you know how to do a few tricks, true. But for the purpose I need, you would need a great deal more discipline, child. Talent is certainly a precious gift, but talent can only take you so far. No town will ever turn down a river, but they must build a dam in it in order to harness its power. And building a dam requires a great deal of time and effort."

But the other girl, now... she had the right idea. Asking questions was right. He turned one eye towards her, but kept his gaze on the slightly strange Drakel. "Ahh... a worthy question indeed. As you may well know, I run a fairly well-regarded school for young mages, so it would be fair to assume I am seeking students. But I have never said as such, and indeed, such is not the case. I will provide instruction, of course, for the spells I wish to cast, but no. I am indeed seeking independent talent--more than my own school can provide me with--for perhaps the greatest undertaking I have ever done."

He gave the girl a wry smile. "For you see, my child, I wish nothing more than to wake a legend. A legend known as the Soveris."

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 06/09/2013 5:28 AM

Mel's eyes widened, and even Warbler seemed to stiffen in her arms. The Soveris? Morgan had spoken of it sometimes, but never in detail. This was definitely information of importance. Still, she had an act to put on.

"What's a Soveris?" she asked, tail flicking in what she hoped was a curious manner. "Do you have a picture of it somewhere?"

This is our chance to confirm some of Morgan's theories!

I must admit, Mel, I had my reservations about this scheme, but now that we've heard that word...well, it looks like it'll be worth it.

[3, 3]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/09/2013 10:30 PM

Shuffling sideways--never quite turning--Rook made his way towards one of the tables that ringed the quiet space. On it was a stack of several crisp white papers. Rook peeled three of them off. One of them, he passed to the young girl. Two of them he quietly passed to the Drakel.

There was a printout of a drawing on the paper. At first glance, the creature on it looked very similar to a Sygriff. At a casual glance, someone might have mistaken it for one. But a closer inspection showed that this creature, surely, had to be much larger. Its proportions were more drawn-out. It looked bulkier. More muscular. Bright pinions ran down the entire length of its body. And although it was but a drawing, its artist had perfectly put a wry glint in its eye, as if the picture was going to wink at them at any second.

As if he knew what some might think, Rook cleared his throat. "Do not mistake this creature for a common Sygriff. It is far more ancient, and far more powerful. Tell me--have any of you heard of it before?"

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 06/10/2013 1:53 AM

Huh, Morgan always described it as having a more slender neck and beak.

He's got his pride. Probably projecting Tengumi features onto it, that's all.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Out loud, Mel gasped. "Yeah, it does look super-different! Don't Sygriffs have those things on their wings?" She waved her claws in a vague shape that seemed to imply an arrow. "And it's more powerful? But Sygriffs can control time! Isn't that already super-powerful?"

[4, 4]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/10/2013 5:40 AM

Rook almost threatened to smile. But then he remembered who he was dealing with. No. This one... there is something strange about her. And her Cotton Trumpetter friend has yet to reveal themselves. She took no notice of the fact that I passed her two pages--one for her and one for her friend. Leave it to a small child to latch onto a trivial detail like that. So if she does not...

But the allure of the Soveris was great. Almost too great. And if he himself faltered, if there was any cause for suspicion in this Drakel, she too might become suspicious... So he launched into his description, as he often did, many times before. "Yes! The Soveris was a great and mighty beast of eons past. Sygriffs can control time, it is true. But Sygriffs can, often, only control time. The Soverii could do... so much more. Much like with the Lucain, the Paragon... they could have any number of skills, often reflected in the patterns of their feathers and fur, but sometimes hidden deep within. Some as yet unknown to us. According to all the ancient texts I have read, they taught a great many things to comers of all nations and species--human, pet; even the Dwellers, they counted among their students, and treated as equal. But when they vanished from Evelon... so, too, did a great deal of their knowledge," he said, and he heaved a heavy sigh. He looked as if no matter how deep or long his sighs, he could never get out the sadness that had lodged itself in his chest. "Truly one of the greatest losses we have ever suffered, I do believe. Not since the Paragon and Yonyuu have we lost such potential. And while those ancient breeds did return to us, thanks to the rumblings of conflict that shook these lands so many years ago..."

His eyes trailed off, but only for a second. He knew who he was. He was Emiliano Rook. And while Emiliano Rook did daydream, he did so only in private, where it was far less shameful.

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 06/10/2013 11:25 AM

Remember this, Warbler! thought Mel excitedly, latching on to every word. The revival of the Paragon had come after the last war. Could this war signal the return of the Soveris as well?

You're paying too much attention for a child, was the reply. I've already recorded all that. It was one of her natural abilities, probably something left over from being a toy.

Oh right. Mel quickly yawned. "Can you summerize that, mister?" Really, what they had already got was great enough, but she wanted to keep him engaged. Maybe she'd just flee into the crowd later, pretending she'd seen one of her parents.

[5, 5]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/10/2013 11:06 PM

Rook recoiled with a scoff. Forget any act he was putting on in order to discern the nature of this child--this was pure Rook, at his most earnest and most driven. "Summarize? Summarize? I have hardly begun, child! The knowledge I have just shared with you represents not one percent of one percent of what there is to be said about the Soveris! This is not some task to be undertaken like some kind of... Some kind of school project! Child, if I wanted to issue a school project, I would do so with impunity. This is a task to be undertaken for the good of all!"

He bent down to her level, and stared into her eyes. "If you are going to go about this with such impatience, such a childish attitude, then you would do best to leave. There is no room in this project for one with so little patience and such a lack of discipline."

((Ouch. There's probably a good reason Rook only teaches high-level students...))

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 06/11/2013 1:33 AM

How's that summons going?

Tundran is coming already.

Good. Time to make our daring escape. But first...

Mel purposefully began to make her lip tremble. "It does sound interesting!" she declared. "But I'm not sure I understand everything you're saying! That's all!" A single tear began to leak from one of her eyes.

"Mel!" called a voice. A gentleman dressed in a white-and-blue suit pushed his way through the crowd, seeming to glide over the ground. He reached down and scooped up both the Drakel and the Trumpetter, holding them close.

"Your mom and I were so worried! Why did you run off like that? Are you-are you crying? Mel, are you okay?"

"I'm not!" blubbered Mel, finally letting the floodgates fall as she buried her chest in the man's. "I really wanted to learn magic so I ran away and then I found this place and I thought it was a magic school and..." She sobbed some more. It was all up to Tundran now.

"Why is my daughter crying?" asked Tundran, turning to Rook. Mist began to swirl around his feet and chest, obscuring both the ground and what he was holding. Mel slipped from his grasp as soon as the mist covered her completely, then began to creep towards the tent. Tundran continued to talk. "What has she been telling you? We cannot afford to send her to a magic school now, that much is true. But she has borne that disappointment enough already. It wouldn't logically upset her that much."

[6, 6, 1]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items