Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Re: Looking For Talented Young Mages (OPEN!)

Postby Freezair » 06/11/2013 8:22 PM

Rook stood up tall and proud. His head sweapt the sky like that of a great statue. "Sir, although I do run a magic school, this endeavor has nothing to do with it. I did not advertise myself as a teacher of magic, and your daughter misunderstood me. I was advertising a search for talented young mages because I am seeking magicians with strength and passion in order to assist me in a great magical undertaking. Your daughter was very enthusiastic and desired to show me her skills, but I do not believe her young age or her current skills will be useful to me. She was beginning to become difficult."

He looked down at this newcomer with appraising eyes. Adoption, he knew, was fairly commonplace these days. But the fact that this Drakel claimed to be a child of a Yonyuu only raised his suspicions. Something seemed "off" about the Drakel to begin with. But now he was beginning to suspect that something truly was afoot.

I'm so cool (too bad I'm a loser).
I'm so smart (too bad I can't get anything figured out)!
I'm so brave (too bad I'm a baby).
I'm so fly
That's probably why it feels just like I'm falling for the first time!

I'm so green (it's really amazing).
I'm so clean (too bad I can't get all the dirt off of me)!
I'm so sane (It's driving me crazy)!
It's so strange
I can't believe I'm falling for the first time!

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 80
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 06/11/2013 11:58 PM

"Really? Were you bothering him first, Mel?" There was no response except for some more sobbing, as the Drakel was already sliding across the ground, making her way towards the entrance of the tent. The sobbing was merely being replayed by Warbler. Tundran frowned, moving his hands as if he was stroking her fur. "She's been talking about this a lot. This must have been the last straw for her. We are going home, Mel, and you are going to take a nap."

Mel had finally made it to the tent entrance. She raised a paw, trying to tell if there was any magical protection on the entrance of said tent.

[7, 7, 2]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
You're my crystal and clover
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot
What would you do if I stole you tonight? (Ahh ahh)
Why waste time? (Ahh ahh)

'Cause the world goes on without us
It doesn't matter what we do
All silhouettes with no regrets
When I'm melting into you
'Cause I belong in your arms
I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2597
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/12/2013 6:15 PM

((There is no tent. Rook just has a space of the market surrounded by tables.))

Rook stared at the backside of the young (or was she young, truly?) Drakel. "You may wish to stop her from entering that tent," he intoned. "Otherwise she and the fish merchant who works there may quickly become unhappy. Unless it pleases you to have your child reeking of fish."

But Rook's eyes followed the Drakel's progress. There! Now that her backside was to him, and her face was away, he could see clearly that there was something peculiar about her. Her horns were not normal. She was wearing a pair of strange rings on them. From sight, he thought--an enchantment? Surely? One hand went into Rook's pocket, and he quietly clutched something. He thought he'd felt something funny.

"Sir? Before you go, I feel you should know something. While in your daughter's presence, I believe I have detected something... off, around her. I believe she may be suffering from a magical illness, or in the presence of some malevolent spirit. Although it is currently keeping itself hidden and has not progressed very far, it is not yet of danger to her. But left if unchecked, it could bring great harm to her. Since you have declared to me that you are poor, or at least in no financial position to be sending her to magic school, I would be willing to examine her briefly here in order to see if I may do something about it."

He looked at the other thoughtfully, to see what he chose to do about his daughter.

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 06/12/2013 11:27 PM

Mel froze, her tail twitching back and forth. Had he noticed? Perhaps he had sensed that she wasn't inherently magical...Tundran seemed frozen as well.

You can still salvage this! whispered Warbler. Agree to being examined, but make sure you have a clear route to escape. If his diagnostic spell takes time, we can also use that time to get away.

Alright.

"Uh, whoops!" muttered Mel, spinning around. "I'm sick? Maybe it's because I'm not being trained properly, Dad!"

"I don't know. Now come over here and let this man take a look at you. Then we'll have a better idea." Mel dutifully made her way over to Tundran's feet, looking up expectantly at Rook. Part of her was tense, ready to run if necessary.

[8, 8, 3]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/13/2013 6:19 PM

Rook eyed Tundran. This man, at least, still seemed very composed. Hmm, he thought. He plays his role well, if he is a part of this. He knew that saying no would arouse suspicion. Or perhaps he's NOT part of this, and his daughter is up to something on her own. Hmm...

Rook knelt down and beckoned the Drakel closer. "Come here, child. I will need to hold you up to examine you properly. I promise you, I will not hurt you. I only wish to take a close look at you. Have you ever been bitten by a tick before, child?" He looked at the girl, and despite his suspicions, he tried his best to look and sound compassionate. "A tick will sink its jaws into the body of a creature and will not let go, even when it has gorged itself. But until it has done so, it is difficult to see. Some malicious enchantments are very like ticks. Without close inspection, they are hard to see until they have eaten their fill of magic. Some benevolent spirits are parasites on the magical power of others in exactly this way..."

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 06/13/2013 10:48 PM

Well, this is more dangerous.

Tundran can just hit him in the face with a fogball if he tries to hold on to you.

Mel approached, twitching her tail, then spun around. "Can I hold Buttons, Dad?"

"Of course." Tundran knelt down and handed Warbler over to Mel, who then slowly scampered over to Rook, looking at him curiously.

"I don't like ticks. So magical ticks must be even worse!" She then carefully placed one paw in his hand.

Buttons?

Hush.

[9, 9, 4]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/14/2013 2:00 AM

((Derp. In the last post, I just realized I wrote "benevolent" when I meant "malevolent." I r gud riter.))

Rook scooped up the little Drakel easily. She really was quite tiny, he observed--abnormally tiny. In a strange way, she almost felt too tiny to be a child. Not a child--perhaps someone naturally small. "Thank you for cooperating." For someone who seemed to have such a naturally fidgety, hyperactive personality, she seemed to be very cooperative.

Cradling her in one hand, his other lifted up and went straight for her horns. Swiftly, so that if he was correct, she would not have time to react--he hoped. If he succeeded, he would reach down and twist them off, swiftly. "Found it," he would proclaim. And who knew what would happen then? But if he was correct about the rings... well, who knew what she might do?

((Since it's your character, up to you whether or not he's successful in removing the rings, or whether or not Tundran/Mel realizes what's going on and jumps him or something before it can happen. Or jumps him after he grabs the ring. You know, just making sure you know your char's fate is in your hands and everythin'.))

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 06/20/2013 4:14 AM

Mel stayed still as Rook inspected her. However, her heart was beating much faster than it had any right to, and she could feel her muscles tensing. When she saw the flick of his eyes and the movement of one hand, she knew what was going on. Just as his hand closed on her horn, she made her move.

"Now!" she yelled, raising Warbler above her head. The Trumpetter immediately blasted a stream of sonic waves into Rook's face, while Tundran curled a ball of mist in one hand and threw it to the ground. If they managed to daze Rook, it would be easy to escape in the confusion and fog.

[10, 10, 5]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/20/2013 3:50 PM

Rook was tense to begin with. But in the air, he sensed the subtle scent of someone preparing magic. Beneath the cloying "aura" effect projected by the wings, he could smell someone readying a powerful offensive spell. Just as Mel began to yell, Rook loosened his grip. With a yelp and a duck, he dropped Mel and coiled himself into a protective sphere of shield magic just as the other spell was loosed.

Sonic energy broke around Rook, leaving him (and his ears) unharmed, but wreaking havoc among his tables and displays. He could do nothing about the small ball of fog that exploded in the area, however. Nor could he do much to stop the panicking crowd. The sonic blast seemed to have perforated his little calmness bubble, and people outside it were beginning to catch on that something not-right was happening within. It would be much too easy for his assailants to disappear into the crowd.

Rook stood, mumbling magical words to shape a more full-sized web of protection around himself. A raging shout broke through the cover of his spell. "CHARLATANS!" As the shield picked up, he picked a direction and started moving in it. "THIEVES OF KNOWLEDGE! DO NOT THINK YOU CAN HIDE!"

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 06/21/2013 12:26 AM

Mel gasped as Rook loosened his hold on her, but a combination of her natural gliding skin flaps and Warbler's own air manipulation meant that she landed safely. However, this also meant that their sonic blast completely failed to hit. While the fog meant that they could still escape, it was clear that Rook was still conscious enough to pursue them.

Goddamnit! He made it go off-course! I didn't mean for that to hurt anyone!

It's fine. I fired it anyways, I should take the responsibility.

Mel had already managed to scamper onto Tundran's leg, and he was already running, even as she scampered into a better position on his shoulder. The fog swirled vaguely around them, and he resisted the urge to densify the area around himself. Instead, he focused on another spot, further from where they were, and forced the fog in that spot to solidify in the approximate shape and size of himself. All three of them winced, however, at hearing Rook's roar.

[11, 11, 6]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/21/2013 1:15 AM

Citizens stamped themselves to the sides of the market as Rook came streaming past. For someone wearing such loose robes, he knew how to run in them well--he showed no signs of tripping or even stumbling as they swirled about his legs. And his shield seemed to have coalesced into a sort of plow-shape in front of him--wind whistled past him, and the fog started to blow away. But wherever he peeled it back, it seemed to pile on, thicker than before. But he would not lose them! If they had already succeeded in stealing any information or magic from him, they must be brought to justice. But if they had not, they should know how foolhardy their attempt had been!

Rook thought he saw a pale shape through the fog. He sniffed. The fog seemed to be clouding his senses, but he thought he could detect it... a faint trace of the faint aura scent the rings had made. Ah! He swerved to follow the smell. He would find them, no matter the fog!

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 06/21/2013 1:40 AM

While the fog concealed them, it also concealed their pursuer. Tundran might have been able to sense Rook following them, if he hadn't been focused on running and creating illusions to mask their escape. As it was, none of them noticed, until Mel looked back and saw a bright shape running towards them.

"It didn't work!" she hissed in Tundran's ear.

"Fine then. We'll split up. Mel, you and Warbler..." He trailed off.

"Your rings! They give you a magical aura! He might be sensing that! Give those to me, then you run back to Morgan!" Mel nodded, quickly dropping the rings into his hand, before gliding to the ground again and scampering off, still clutching Warbler. They had gotten most of the information, so they were more important. With that, the three of them split off into two groups, still running as fast as they could. Tundran created as thick a fog as he could to mask their split, hoping that would be enough.

[12, 12, 7]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/21/2013 2:34 AM

Even through the fog and the traces of the ring, Rook could smell the tang of a spell being readied. He stopped for a moment and braced himself, but all that happened was the thickening of the fog. They were trying to lose him, rather than fight!

The smell of the rings abruptly changed direction. That was what he would chase, then. The plow around him seemed to widen, and he himself could smell the reek of magic coming off him. In the dim of the fog, he even had a faint glow. Even where his nose was clogging, the glow helped him see. And with the magic beneath his footsteps, he ran faster than ever before.

It was as he caught up with the source of the smell that he saw he had chosen wrong. The shape moving through the fog was pale white, not the Drakel who had been nosing around. But if he was in charge...

Rook thrust out his palm. A massive web of energy shot forth, spiraling into what remained of the crowd. Heavy anchors around the net rocketed to the floor, shattering cobblestones. With any luck, the foolish thief would be trapped within...

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 06/21/2013 4:46 AM

Tundran's skills lay in illusion and trickery, not direct combat. As a result, he had no counter for the net that was fired at him. In a moment, the man lay pinned to the ground, snarling and fighting as he shifted back into his natural Yonyuu form.

At least Mel and Warbler are out of danger, he thought. He could hear Warbler in his mind faintly, telling him that they had left the boundaries of the fog but had also successfully blended back into the action of the festival.

"You got the wrong guy," he growled triumphantly, dropping the rings on the ground.

[13, 13, 8]
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/21/2013 6:47 AM

Rook stood over the net. Oh, what a benefit his face was at that moment--normal humans could only scowl. He? He could snarl, with a spiked fence of incisors to show for himself.

"And you and yours have toyed with the wrong sorcerer." Rook bent low over his captive, letting his burning eyes glint through the fog. "WHAT WERE YOU AFTER?!" Rook's shoulders tensed, and the entire net grew taut. It sucked itself down towards the ground, further confining the one inside and flattening him down.

"I suspect you are not much one for offensive magic. Your methods are offensive enough." His ears flattened. "Know that I have the upper hand. I have every hand. There is not a mage in all the guilds in all of Evelon who does not know my face and name. And there is not a guild that would not offer me assistance, were I to lose something of importance. Every mage in Evelon will be looking for them. Turn. Them. Over."

((Rook can be scary. o_o Originally he was telling me to give him some kind of hulking werewolf smashy-form, but I told him that was silly.))

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext