Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Unorthodox Methods [P; L]

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/16/2015 3:43 PM

This would be, quite possibly, the most mentally and emotionally taxing experience L had ever had the misfortune of enduring on a case. His mouth was dry, a creeping feeling of dread crawling through his scalp and pounding in his wrists. He hated having his back against the wall like this. Sure, there were alternatives, but L admired efficiency as much as he admired flair, and he admired both quite a lot.

They'd hit a cold spot in the case, and L supposed he was... stuck, as it were. By suggestion of the rest of the task force, L had taken it upon himself to select some... outside help, the sound of which set off at least thirty alarm bells in L's mind. He hated bringing in unnecessary outsiders into a case, and really, it only complicated things. He'd need to be more cautious than normal, which was saying something. It didn't help that the woman in question--the only person he was able to narrow down to--was the only detective who showed any sort of interest whatsoever in assisting to solve the Kira case.

Perhaps that made him even more on edge. Interest in the target was a liability, in a case like this, given half the public thought of Kira as a hero. Dangerous... this was disgustingly dangerous, and in all honesty, L would sooner dismiss all of the Kira Task Force from their duties and work alone. He thought about it, once or twice, but ultimately... he supposed they all had a better chance of success, at this rate. L blinked, realizing he'd been staring at the computer for quite a long time, with only the movement of his fingers barely twitching on the keys now and then in irritation.

"Oh, come now," Watari's gentle scruff of a voice sounded from behind L's chair as he wheeled a tray of light biscuits and milk tea over. "It isn't like you to be so adverse to potential progress." L's dark eyes flicked to stare at Watari silently, and the older man paused, then offered something like an apologetic, knowing smile. "Well, I'll leave you to it. No matter what you decide to do, I'm certain things will work out."

L's mouth twitched into a frown, before it smoothed back into indifference. "'Certain' is not a word I'd use to describe the current situation at all," he muttered, and after a few more moments of silence his fingers sprang to life, flying over the keys of the keyboard and typing out a curt message.

From: [hidden] ; Subject: Request for assistance in apprehending Kira wrote:Miss Mai,

Thank you for your positive response to my request. Please understand that, once you join up with our side, there will be no going back until the case is settled. This includes with it all of the risks and dangers attached to regular police and detective work, as well as the added danger of the nature of the case. This is the last chance that I will give you to reconsider before I send Watari to retrieve you.
-L

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 499
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

1 - 1

Postby Kiarianuu » 09/16/2015 4:39 PM

Today was one of the better days. There weren't any cases that her subsection of the police force had been tasked with, so everyone was just mulling around and doing whatever — some were writing reports, others were dealing with petty crimes, some busied themselves with filing papers. While Mai could have just gone back to her apartment (being told that, due to the circumstances of her joining the force, there was very little for her to do), she decided to stay anyway. She needed to get out anyway.

It had been like this for weeks, now that she thought about it. The girl leaned back in her chair, hooking her feet around the legs of the desk she was sitting at. Her head flopped over the back, hair nearly touching the floor. The days had begun to blur together even more so than before. Ever since the Kira case had started, everything had either started going in slow motion or far too fast to comprehend.

Mai's life seemed to have done the former.

At first, it was exciting — people dropping dead with no warning; some guy on TV dying on live air; the mass chaos and panic that had started to wash over the population. For a brief period of time, Mai had actually feared for herself. Kira killed criminals, right? She was a minor and rather petty one herself, but still a criminal, nonetheless. But after weeks of only death row inmates dying and nothing happening closely around her (minus half of her police force quitting from fear they would be targeted as enemies), her buzz had worn off and she'd grown bored of the whole thing.

Until she'd gotten that email.

It had asked if she was interested in being a part of the Kira investigation, the sender claiming to be the detective leading the Kira investigation — L. That in itself was off-putting; why would she of all people be asked? She was insignificant compared to some other people that would more than likely be of better use than she would. Regardless, she answered anyway. If it was a joke, oh well. If it wasn't, then...

A small ding and her computer monitor lighting up made Mai sit back up, her head spinning for a moment or two from hanging almost all the way upside-down. 1 new message. With an almost childlike excitement building up inside her, she opened the email and scanned it; to which she cracked a small half-grin at and started typing.

Re: Request for assistance in apprehending Kira wrote:I'm aware of the risks and what could happen to me. Despite those, I'm still willing to join the investigation if you still wish me to.
- Mai
"when i get excited, i fly"
:^)

zoo pen / journal / wishlist
Kiarianuu
You ARE persistent, aren't you?
Pets | Items
Keystones: 515
Donate

Re: Unorthodox Methods [P; L]

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/19/2015 12:34 PM

The response was almost immediate, and L felt a certain kind of relief at that. Any longer and he would've sent a followup to cancel the whole affair; now it was decided. It would look bad to turn her away now, given he was the one who initially expressed interest in asking for help.
Re: Request for assistance in apprehending Kira wrote:Very well. Watari will be on his way to your apartment; if you're not currently there, please go to meet him, and gather anything you'll need to take with you. It's very likely that it will be awhile before you return home, though we do have rooms here available. I look forward to meeting you in person.
- L

Nothing could've been further from the truth, but a little lie for politeness' sake wasn't out of the question. L leaned back in his chair, legs uncurling and sprawling out in front of him, his foot jerking back and forth with nervous thought. Alright; he'd need to go and report to the rest of the task force that he'd gone through with their suggestion. In the meantime...

L picked up a pen and began scribbling down something on a notepad, then tore off a page and held it aloft over his shoulder. "Watari, please bring Miss Mai back here with as much haste as possible," he murmured. He'd prefer to get this introduction over with as soon as possible, and then they could move on to more useful and helpful things. He felt a certain kind of anxiety as Watari slipped the paper from his fingertips and read over the address L had written down, and the old man smiled.

"Yes, right away, sir," Watari said with a small nod, going towards the door that lead to the ground floor of the hotel L currently made his place of residence in. The basement, that is--it hadn't been a very difficult arrangement, buying out the ritzy hotel and converting it into such a conspicuous hiding place. L folded his hands together and leaned back in his chair, head lolling back to stare at the ceiling contemplatively as Watari stepped through a myriad of security doors to the exit. Let the mental preparation begin.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

1 - 2

Postby Kiarianuu » 09/19/2015 9:09 PM

Just as Mai had leaned back in her chair again, the computer beeped once more at her. With an almost irritated huff, she swung herself back up, the chair making a loud sound as it snapped back into its regular position. The sound drew the attention of some of the other people that were still in the room with her. She didn't pay attention, though, instead letting her eyes lock onto the computer screen once again. She read the message a few times over to make sure she was understanding it, then nodded lightly to herself. ...Alright. Let's go. She'd said she'd made up her mind, so there was no reason to respond or think anymore about it — she couldn't back out even if she wanted to.

After logging out of the computer, she rose to her feet and side-stepped away from the desk. A small part of her debated making some comment about how she probably wasn't going to come back anytime soon if at all, but decided not to. Mai wasn't that smart — at least, not school and book wise — but she knew when to keep her mouth shut and keep things to herself. Something told her this was one of those times. The last thing she needed was for someone to find out where she was going and what she was going to be doing while she was gone. Or, alternatively, she didn't need someone trying to read her emails in order to find out what she was doing or where she had gone.

Though, something told her that those emails were probably so encrypted that it would take days to hack into them.

She left the building and went over to where she'd parked her car (a far corner of the parking lot to keep as far away from other people as possible; honestly, that thing was like her child), unlocking the door once there and getting in. And, for the first time in an extremely long while, she actually did the speed limit going down the road on the way back to her apartment. It was common sense that she should get back home as soon as possible, since her ride would probably already be there; however, she also assumed it would be better to not attract attention from flying down the road in such a noticeable and recognizable car. She would get there quick enough without speeding anyway, so there wasn't much of a point. If she wanted to show off or stroke her ego in a race, she could do that later. Now wasn't the time.

Something told her this L guy wouldn't want to waste his time getting her off the hook from the police if she was too stupid to not realize that.
Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/23/2015 12:54 AM

By the time she would be ready to leave, Watari would have arrived, pleasantly on time for their departure. On the way, he kept an open line with L back at home base, entertaining the younger man's infrequent inquiries and comments. Most of them consisted of 'No more e-mails from her... I suppose this means it's official,' and the all important 'Have you arrived yet? She doesn't live terribly far away from the hotel.' Watari was ever-gentle in his responses, though he found it a bit odd that the detective was so jittery. Well, some form of jittery--to anyone else, L's energy would seem as dull as ever, but Watari could sense the nervous tension behind every syllable.

"Sir, why don't you go watch one of those shows you like, or talk with the task force some more to distract yourself? You'll wear a rut in the floor with all that pacing," Watari murmured with a humorous lilt to his voice. He could hear L's shoes tapping on the floor, and they stopped abruptly at the older man's words. "There should be something to eat around, too."

"...I am not a child, Watari," L insisted after a moment of silence, his voice calm and even once more. A mask; Watari didn't like it when L put up his guard like that, but he supposed it was only fair, after a quiet jab like that towards L's capabilities to take care of himself. Which, truthfully, were nebulous at best anyway, but Watari didn't push the subject. "Please return as soon as possible. I'll make myself busy here."

"Mmhm," Watari murmured in response with a nod. "Yes, sir. In fact, you'll be pleased to know I've just arrived at her apartment. Shall I make the audio link one-sided?"

"Yes. Go ahead." Click. Watari returned both hands to the wheel once the switch was flipped. Now, the sounds of the car would be heard by L, but L's voice was silenced. Letting his expression relax into something like sleepiness, Watari leaned back in his seat a bit and waited for Mai's appearance.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

1 - 3

Postby Kiarianuu » 09/27/2015 7:29 PM

[ ugh sorry, i was super busy and my computer deleted everything i wrote <_< ]

When the apartment complex came into view, Mai's eyes landed on an unfamiliar car in front of her building. She paid too much attention to the cars she parked around, mostly out of a precautionary. If a car hit hers, she'd be able to narrow down the list of suspects. That, and the fact that she'd sat outside long enough and looked around (that was out of paranoia, actually, but she didn't like admitting that to herself) enough to memorize all the cars of the people who lived in her building. Was that the car she was going to get picked up in? It was fancy-looking enough to be it, but she couldn't be too sure.

She pulled into her regular parking spot — off to the side and against the corner where the sidewalk changed direction, also conveniently by the metal stairs that climbed the side of the building. After turning the car off and getting out, and then checking to make sure the doors were locked, Mai stood beside the car and eyed the other car in an almost wary way. The windows were tinted so much she doubted anyone would ever be able to see into it. That had to be it, right? It was still running and not in a parking spot, so...

Her mind trailed back go the emails and how she had been told she'd need to get anything she would need since she more than likely wouldn't be home for a while. Was there anything left in the house she would need? She had her money, phone, extra clothes in the car that she'd left by accident, her gun... That was all of it, right?

Yeah, that had to be all of it. Anything else she'd need, she could just buy or have her friend bring it to her. Nodding to herself, Mai opened the trunk of her car and pulled out an old-looking gym bag that had clearly seen better days. She unzipped it and sifted through its contents — shirts, pants, socks, et cetera, et cetera. She slung the strap over her shoulder and shut the trunk and locked the car, pulling on the driver's side handle to ensure that it wouldn't open.

And...now we wait, I guess?

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 10/10/2015 4:57 PM

[No problem! My replies are pretty slow right now too; school is kicking my butt eheh. Sorry this post is a wee bit shorter than normal!]

Watari waited patiently, glad that L had finally quieted down a bit. He'd probably found something to occupy himself with, though Watari knew very well that it wouldn't last long. It seemed as though he was nervous about all this, which really seemed odd. Usually if L was nervous or unsure about anything, he avoided it until he'd dispelled any reason to be nervous at all, as long as such a thing was possible and practical. Perhaps it was the lack of progress on the case--a bit of a wall, they'd all suddenly hit. With Chief Yagami's son currently in confinement and deaths still piling up, Watari had to admit it was a transfixing predicament.

Oh, was that her? Watari shifted, opening his door to step out and peer over at the young woman. Ah yes, she seemed to match L's description fairly well. On the offchance he was wrong, all it would take is a little apology and an awkward nod. "Miss Mai, I presume?" Watari offered, calling over to her with a small beckoning wave. "I am Watari--something like L's proxy. Are you ready to leave?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

1 - 4

Postby Kiarianuu » 10/10/2015 11:46 PM

[ it's fine, no worries! ]

Mai, who had leaned herself up against the side of her car, jumped a little when she heard herself being addressed. The name — while not intended to be — was the same one she had been called as a child as a nickname; it brought a small handful of memories to the front of her mind that she quickly managed to shoo away upon seeing the man standing by the car she had been eyeing earlier.

So I was right. It was a nice feeling, knowing she was right about something. Of course, she was already cocky and egotistical as it was so she probably didn't need another reason to think of herself as being on a pedestal. As Mai pushed herself up off her car with the back of her arms, she wondered vaguely how she had been recognized so quickly. The momentary question was followed by the realization that her picture and name — and much more personal and private things — were all filed away and more than likely stored on the computer somewhere. It wouldn't be difficult for someone like this L guy to get access to it, especially if he said it was for the Kira investigation.

The people he asked about her files probably now thought she was Kira.

"Yeah, that's me." Mai had wandered herself over to the car, her hands stuck in the pockets of her jacket. She glanced inside the car once she got close enough, her eyebrows raising. Impressive. From the outside it was fancy-looking enough — she could only guess what the inside was like. "And yeah, I'm ready." Better to get going quickly than to dawdle and waste more time, right?

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 10/16/2015 1:59 AM

[Hope it's alright if I just speed them up to actually driving; otherwise my post would've been wicked short. :'D If you want me to edit this since I kinda manhandled time passing, just say the word!]

Watari nodded, pleased that he'd found the right woman, and he moved towards the back seat. "If you'd like to load up your luggage in here, Miss Mai," he implored, gesturing to the empty back seat, then moving to open the passenger side for her. He knew L was listening, now, whatever distraction he'd busied himself with destroyed all at once by the appearance of the Task Force's new investigative partner. Poor L was probably glued to the laptop, Watari thought, not without a hint of a humorous smile.

Watari slipped into the driver's seat, and once Mai was ready, he started the car back up. "The drive isn't a terribly long one, don't worry," he murmured, making light conversation as he pulled into the street and began driving down the street. "In the meantime, is there anything on your mind?" Watari wasn't sure he liked the dishonesty of L listening in without Mai knowing, but it would save L the stress going into this blind.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

2 - 5

Postby Kiarianuu » 10/17/2015 1:04 PM

[ oh, that's fine! cx ]

Mai gave Watari a vaguely confused look, but complied nonetheless and put her bag in the backseat of the car. She had expected to have to sit back there as well, but she wasn't going to complain about being allowed to sit up front. She went around the car and got in the passenger seat, pulling the door shut after her and leaning back against the seat.

When the car was started and they were going down the road, Mai looked out the window and watched the trees and cars pass by. The question directed at her made her head turn and a vaguely confused expression fill her eyes. Was there anything on her mind that she felt she should say out loud? "...Yeah, sorta. Where am I gonna be staying? Like, a hotel or something?" If it wasn't that far, she wondered why she couldn't just drive up there herself and stay in her apartment. As she was wondering that, a second question entered her mind — the one from earlier that she had been wondering so much about. "And I'm dunno if you know the answer to it, but... How come I was asked to join?"

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/26/2015 6:04 PM

Watari smiled at her question, nodding his head. "Yes, yes. The headquarters are quite close by to where you'll be staying. Very close, actually. You'll see," he chuckled, keeping his tone light and airy but respectful enough. His hands shifted on the wheel as he seamlessly turned a sharp curve, clearly practiced in making it as smooth as possible. "As for your second question..." he began, slowly, his lips pursed slightly in thought and brow wrinkling. "L has his reasons. It was not an unguided decision, I can assure you--the rest of the task force had a say in it, as well. I'm certain if you ask L, he will tell you his thought process." He said this almost pointedly, clearly directing it at L in a gentle warning to behave, unbeknownst to Mai.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

2 - 6

Postby Kiarianuu » 12/14/2015 11:25 PM

Mai raised an eyebrow suspiciously. She was tempted to ask what he meant by "close", especially since it was stressed so much in the sentence or two response that was given to her question. She let the question slip through her mind, though. It wasn't that important, was it? It was only important that she would be staying close to where she was supposed to be working; the less walking the better. The answer given to her second question made a soft hm escape her lips. "Maybe I will." Mai doubted if she asked L that she would be given any sort of answer, but that wouldn't stop her from at least trying. Because I'm really starting to wonder, was added as an afterthought in her mind.

Kiarianuu
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/05/2016 6:58 PM

[Oh man, I wanted to ask you--is your location a reference to Kekkai Sensen? Or the Stephen King novel? xD]

L could have snorted in contempt at Watari's words. He was well aware that the girl deserved an explanation, but that didn't mean he'd give her one. At leas she was asking questions. That was a fairly good sign, he supposed, though they weren't particularly interesting questions. Perhaps he should avoid making assumptions until he could actually speak to her in person...

"L is a very calculating person, Miss Mai," Watari continued, in a gentler tone, as if knowing he'd ruffled the cloaked detective's feathers on the other line. "I'm sure he has a very good reason for singling you out specifically."

Well, actually, it wasn't that good of a reason, L thought to himself, ripping up a post-it note and pasting the sticky pieces to the back of his hand. He never realized what an irritating experience it would be to listen to himself be talked about.

The car ride didn't last very long, an hour at most with traffic. Soon Watari was pulling into the parking lot of a large hotel, and he parked the car with an open smile in the girl's direction. "Here we are. I'll help you with your things; just follow me, and I'll show you to him," he said, moving to get out of the car and open her door for her.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate