Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

[Quest] A Sense of Normalcy [Self; L]

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/23/2016 2:04 AM

"Open up. It's me." Jay's knuckles burned slightly from the three firm knocks he'd delivered to the door. Everything hurt more in the cold, from Jay's joints to apparently the very simple action of knocking on a motel door. His breath clouded in the air, and he glanced down at the camera in his hand, then at the grocery bag handle pressing a thick line in his worn jacket. There were times when the camera seemed unnecessary--especially in the city, away from the forest, away from the darkness. But he decided long ago that he no longer trusted the concept of safety. For them, it simply didn't exist.

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Re: [Quest] A Sense of Normalcy [Self; L]

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/23/2016 2:11 AM

There was the sound of footsteps moving unsteadily towards the door, and then stopping. Jay's eyes flicked up to the peephole in the door, figuring it was currently being used. A moment later, the door creaked open, and Jay put on his best smile--tired as it was. "You're not Santa," Tim said with a dry smile, the dark circles under his eyes more prominent in the dim light over the doorway.

"Ho ho ho," Jay said, or sighed, really. He wore the smile as he walked in, the motel heating scant but satisfying. He set the bag down on the bed with purpose, keeping his jacket on and rubbing his hands together once he'd placed the still-on camera on the nightstand. He glanced at Tim as the other closed and locked the door, then turned to glance at the bag curiously. "No touching," Jay said as Tim reached for the bag, and the scruffy man paused, looking at Jay with raised brows. "Hang on, lemme get defrosted, first."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/23/2016 2:17 AM

"S'pretty weird, y'know," Tim muttered, sitting down on the other bed and glancing at the tacky painting on the wall space between the two beds. "Time's flown fast as hell. Probably worse for you, since... that thing with that weird hotel."

"Mm," Jay murmured, breathing into his hands. "Seven whole months of crazy. Dunno if I'm glad I can't remember them or not." Tim smiled wryly at that, shrugging a shoulder. "I... kinda hope it doesn't happen again, though. I like having all my memories in their proper place."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/23/2016 2:20 AM

"It's a luxury," Tim commented, his eyes still on the bag, then on the camera, then sweeping an arc across the room. "But like, fuck, man--it's already Christmas. I know that bag there's probably got something in it. Y'know, related," Tim finished up the half-formed thought, fidgeting a little. Jay hadn't smelled any smoke outside... maybe Tim was running out of cigarettes. If he'd known, he could've bought some while he was at the store.

"Nah," Jay said, finally tugging off his jacket, his body having reached that uncomfortable point between freezing and overheated. "Not quite."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/23/2016 11:16 AM

Tim arched an eyebrow as Jay reached over to the bag, and pulled out a pearl pink flip-top box of reasonable size. "Actually, I'm paranoid now," Jay began with a sheepish smile. "My memory could be shit. But... I'm pretty sure you told me, once, that your birthday was on Christmas Eve...?"

Tim's eyes widened at that, gaze flicking from the box to Jay's face. "Man--you didn't have to--"

"Yeah, but I did," Jay interrupted, smile breaking into a grin, and truth be told, it was the first time Tim had seen the guy smile in the last couple of weeks. So he closed his mouth, bewildered, and settled back in his seat as Jay opened the box meticulously.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/27/2016 7:30 PM

Tim's eyes widened marginally at the pretty dark brown and white cake, leaning forward a little. "Aw dude, are those oreos?" he asked with an involuntary grin, looking like a kid on his birthday for a split second before it faded back to 'haunted addict adult on his birthday.' Which was still fairly happy, all things considered.

"Eyup," Jay confirmed squinting into the box and pulling out a plastic knife. "It's an ice cream cake--you want some now? Or later?" he asked, looking at the white plastic tool with an air of incredulity. With how frozen it was outside, he highly doubted this knife would cut much of anything.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/27/2016 7:34 PM

"You kidding? Now, for sure. You can't just show a guy oreos dunked in frosting and then ask him to wait." Jay grinned at that, a small laugh coaxed out of him by Tim's wide-eyed expression of mock unbelief. "And it's not like we can really travel with this thing, so we might as well stuff ourselves."

"Better to be up half the night on a sugar high than other reasons, huh," Jay murmured ruefully, though the smile remained on his face. It fell rather quickly, though, to the hard physics currently nullifying his efforts to cut the cake past the first layer of icing. "I get why they don't give you metal knives, but this is dumb..."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/27/2016 7:42 PM

"Lemme try it," Tim said as a warning that he was coming up to sit beside Jay on the thinner man's bed, taking the knife from Jay. Jay tried to fight down the wary feeling that rose up in him like a tiny flutter of flame in the pit of his stomach at the sight of a knife that wasn't in his own hands. He'd come to accept intrusive thoughts and paranoia as a part of his daily routine, but concerning Tim...? Surely his brain could take a holiday in that respect. "Shit."

Jay jumped in surprise, blinking out of his thoughts as he felt the plate holding the cake on his lap jolt, and he looked down to see that the plastic knife had mangled the poor cake into about three cracked pieces, oreo crumbles now covering a small section of the bedspread. The knife, simultaneously it seemed, had broken, and before Jay could stop himself he was snorting with laughter, pressing his fists to his face as Tim grumbled something unintelligible and good-natured, despite his embarrassment and frustration about the whole thing. "Still edible. Actually more so, considering it's smaller now." To prove his point, Jay picked up one of the pieces in his hands and held it like a slice of very tall pizza, biting into it and grunting as frosting shell and oreo base crumbled and landed on the plate. "Shut up," Jay laughed, muffled as he tried to chew, side-eyeing Tim as the other man began to chuckle with a very amused expression on his face.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/27/2016 10:02 PM

Tim ended up picking up a larger piece, hefting it in his hands with a smirk. "You could kill something with this," he snorted, then bent his head to bury the grin forming on his face in sugary ice cream and cake.

"It's formidable," Jay agreed, taking another bite and pausing to lick his fingers, his eyes softening a little. "Happy birthday, man," he murmured, looking up at Tim. "For all the fucked up mess we've been in, it's been kind of fun. I'm really glad to have you here." Tim looked up in kind with his mouth full and his expression blank for a moment. It warmed quickly, and he swallowed, shrugging kind of sheepishly.

"Not like I have much of a choice... pretty sure I'd go crazy by myself." Jay looked up from his already mangled piece of cake, eyes flickering slightly.

"I dunno," Jay murmured, because it was something to say. He wondered the same thing about himself, if he was being honest. Tim didn't like to talk about his condition, and Jay didn't even know he himself had a condition--he still wasn't sure if it was the case. In some ways he hoped he did, because it would explain things, instead of having to blame it on the supernatural. "You're fine. We're fine, c'mon. Oh, hey, you need cigarettes?" Jay asked, talking quickly, obviously trying to change the subject.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/28/2016 3:39 AM

"Uh," Tim blinked at Jay's rapidfire speech, shifting uncomfortably, then blinked and reached for the pack of cigarettes on the side table behind the lamp. "Yeah, actually. I got two in here. Been kind of... rationing them."

Jay was silent for a moment, then offered the man a small smile. "Hey. It's your birthday--have one, and we'll grab another pack in the morning before we leave town."

Tim's eyes widened a little, then cracked a crooked smile and shrugged. "You enabler," he grumbled good-naturedly as he pushed himself up, moving towards the door. He stopped short when he felt a hand grab the hem of his shirt, and he glanced over his shoulder at Jay, the both startled into silence. "Whuh..."

"I... you can smoke in here, you know," Jay quickly said, releasing the man's shirt and picking up his piece of cake again to nibble on it, though it was starting to melt a bit. "It's freezing out there. C'mon. This is a motel that allows smoking inside--those are rare nowadays. Soak it up." Tim found himself smiling at Jay's wandering explanation, and with a sigh he sat back down next to Jay and lit the cigarette up.

"You drive a hard bargain," Tim murmured, taking a small puff on the cigarette and blowing it out, then reaching for his piece of cake he'd been working on. He couldn't bear to think of letting that slice of kindness go to waste. "Thanks. For all of this, Jay," he murmured, looking up and fixing Jay with one of the most at ease smiles he'd seen on the man since he'd met him--and it was a sight that warmed the younger of the two to the core. "Really. Thanks."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate