Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Re: Soulmates [L/M Private]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/11/2016 11:05 PM

Sam woke up with a major hangover.

She’d groaned and grumbled all the way through her morning routine, seriously considering calling in sick. But her shabby one-bedroom rental and the mass of student debt she’d accumulated told her that she’d better haul ass to work and stop complaining about it.

She now found herself running towards the door of the hospital, ten minutes late and a granola bar sticking out of the corner of her mouth.  “Shit, shit, shit,” she mumbled around her ‘breakfast,’ stopping at the sliding doors and searching for her badge. When she came up empty, she cursed again. Of course she’d leave her badge at home; her spare was in her locker inside, but until then, she’d be forced to walk around to use the visitor entrance.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/11/2016 11:05 PM

Growling under her breath, Sam snapped off a chunk of her granola bar and got ready to run when she heard the sound of boots just behind her. She canted her head to see that new doctor-in-training, the one from the military (who looked super-hot in his uniform, but hell if she’d ever say anything about it to him), walking towards her. He had a puzzled look on his face as he stopped just beside her, backpack slung over his shoulder.

The two didn’t say a word to one another, and Sam shrugged, smiling sheepishly as the man seemed to realize she didn’t have her badge. He moved slowly, still watching her as he leaned over and swiped his own badge, and the doors beeped before opening. He graciously allowed her to go through first (chivalrous and hot in a uniform? Check!), and Sam scuttled through, gulping down her granola bar as he walked in after her. They stood there awkwardly for a few moments, before he stuck out a hand, and she gingerly took it.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/11/2016 11:06 PM

“Eugene Roe,” he introduced. “I’m…new around here. I’ve seen you around, though. You’re…Samantha Branigan, right?”

“Eugene Roe. You’re the Cajun with the healing hands I’ve heard so much about.”

Sam’s smile was bright, but faltered only slightly when she saw him stiffen, his grip suddenly tightening around her hand. “Um…” she managed, concerned at the look he was leveling her with; it was way too intense for someone who she’d just introduced herself to. “You can just call me Sam, by the way.” She glanced down at their hands, still joined, and still shaking, if only just slightly. “You can…stop shaking my hand now?”

Eugene gave a start, as if just realizing what he was doing, and quickly retracted his hand as if he was burned. He was still looking at her with a stare that was making her stomach do strange little flip-flops, when he said again, very slowly: “I’m new around here. I’ve seen you around, though. You’re Samantha Branigan, right?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Sam was now utterly confused. Hadn’t they just…done this? What the hell was this guy’s problem? “Yeah…you…you just said that, Eugene. Look, I’m really glad to finally know your name, but I have to get to work. I’m already late. It was nice meeting you; I’ll definitely see you around the ER?” When Gene nodded jerkily, Sam flashed him an uncertain grin, before turning and jogging off down the corridor to her locker; she needed her badge if she was going to get anything done today. Mostly though, she wanted to escape that look on Gene’s face, the one that reminded her of shattered glass and kicked puppies.

Anyway, she was glad to be busy; the more work she had to do, the less time she’d have to think about the hot-but-odd Cajun in his sexy uniform.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Gene stood dumbly in the middle of the hallway, thigh burning where he knew his words had turned a shimmering quicksilver after she’d said them.

Samantha Branigan was his Soulmate.

Samantha. Branigan. Was his Soulmate.

But the only problem with that was, he wasn’t hers. He’d even repeated what he thought were her words, what he was sure would make some flash of recognition light her eyes up. But she’d just looked at him like he was insane, and a little creepy. He imagined that the way he’d come off probably had been sort of disturbing, especially if she was his Soulmate but he wasn’t hers.

But how could that be?

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/11/2016 11:07 PM

Everyone had a Soulmate, didn’t they? He knew about some people who didn’t have one, who didn’t have words on their skin, but those were so few and far between that they didn’t make much of a blip on his radar. He’d also heard of some people who found their Soulmate, spoke their words, only to realize that their Soulmate was not theirs. They would be doomed to follow them and love them forever, their only concern the happiness of the person they weren’t meant to be with, and inevitably either died of a broken heart, sacrificed themselves in some way for their Soulmate, or lived a lonely, single life as they watched the person meant for them find love in the arms of someone else. That was what had just happened, he surmised: Samantha Branigan was his Soulmate.

But he wasn’t hers.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

He felt an immediate urge to run after her, suddenly feeling empty and cold without her next to him. Was this what it was like to find your Soulmate? This crushing, intense feeling of devotion and love that overwhelmed you and made you want to be by their side forever?

His fingers gently rested on his hip, on where the words were still warm against his skin, and he frowned in the direction Sam had gone.

His Soulmate.

Destined to be with someone else.

Gene shook his head; he knew the universe had a fucked up sense of right and wrong, but he’d never imagined it would screw him over so badly. All he could do now was try to do his job, and maybe if he was lucky, he would get to talk to Sam again before the day was over.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Sam rolled her shoulders, feeling the intense stare of Eugene Roe prickling along the back of her neck like a million tiny little spiders.

She was leaning desperately against the reception desk in the ER, charts in hand but eyes unseeing as she stared down at them. Since their meeting that morning, Roe had been staring at her all day, watching her with that stare of his that made her toes curl and made her want to jump into his arms and yell ‘take me now!’ It was utterly disturbing, and Frannie—the receptionist, bless her soul—had figured something was up.

“Okay, Sam, spill. You’ve been ducking and dodging something all day. What happened? And who is it?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/11/2016 11:08 PM

Sam made a shushing motion; Eugene was only some little ways away, still watching her, though he was fairly preoccupied with a patient at the moment. She knew he was sneaking glances her way, and she was torn between confronting him about it, or throwing herself at him. “Oh my God, Frannie,” Sam hissed. “Okay, so this morning, I had the weirdest exchange with the new guy—Eugene Roe. He just kinda weirded out; we introduced ourselves to one another, and he kinda spazzed.”

“Spazzed how?” Frannie asked, raising one delicate brow.

“Um, like, he froze, and then he said the same thing he first said to me over again, like some sort of weird robot. And he shook my hand for an uncomfortable amount of time. Like…really uncomfortable. And he’s been staring at me ever since; he keeps making excuses to talk to me, or touch my hand, or hand me things, or…or to be in the same patient room as me. Now don’t get me wrong; the boy is hotter than hades in that uniform, but he’s starting to freak me out.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Frannie was staring at her with wide eyes, an elated smile that was also slowly freaking Sam out. “Um…Frannie?”

“Oh my God, Sam!” the receptionist squealed. “You-you found your Soulmate! Oh, wait ‘til I tell Bill! Eugene is from his company, you know! He’ll be so excited!”

“Whoa, whoa!” Sam cried, waving her hands frantically. “What are you talking about? I did not find a Soulmate!”

Frannie’s smile slowly fizzled out as she fixed Sam with a confused stare. “But…he obviously said your words and you obviously said his…so why…why wouldn’t he be your Soulmate?” She suddenly gasped. “Unless he didn’t say your words!?”

Sam had never admitted that she didn’t have Soulmate words on her hip; she didn’t need anyone pitying her or labeling her, especially not at work. If she had to die an old maid, then so be it. She’d die alone and happy with her twelve cats and her student debt. Even now, in the face of whatever kind of fucked up revelation this was, Sam was not about to admit she was ‘wordless.’

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“No, Frannie. He didn’t say my words. I know for a fact that he didn’t.”

“Are you sure?” Frannie demanded.

“I just know, okay? And I couldn’t have said his words. I’m not…I’m not capable of that.”

Frannie shot her a sympathetic look, and Sam knew that face; she probably assumed that Sam had a Soulmate at some point who had said her words and died, and that she was doomed to spend the rest of her life alone, unless she found someone who was ‘wordless.’ It was a convenient story that had cropped up about her at the hospital due to her bachelorette status and her unwillingness to date. Sam was glad for the cover, and never bothered to correct it.

“Oh, Sam…I’m so sorry,” Frannie whispered, reaching out to gently pat Sam’s hand in a comforting gesture. She then brightened, and Sam was amused that the woman flip-flopped through emotions like a dog chasing a squirrel; it was oddly endearing. “Listen, why don’t you come out tonight with some of the girls and I? A lot of men from the base are going to be there, including a bunch from Bill’s company.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/11/2016 11:09 PM

Sam knew about Easy Company; she’d met Bill once or twice when he came to see Frannie, and even one or two of the boys who tagged along with him, but that was about as much as she knew. Now she could add Eugene’s name to the list of guys from Easy that she was familiar with, although awkward creepy staring was a bit of a stretch for the word ‘familiar.’

Shrugging, Sam figured that going out couldn’t hurt; she wasn’t exactly a ‘party person,’ but she liked to get out every now and again, and she enjoyed the company of her coworkers—especially Frannie, who was sweet and endearing enough to make any night out enjoyable. And if she could drink away the weirdness of today, then she was all for it.

“Sure, Fran. Sounds good!”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

The eight-hour shift was possibly the longest of Gene’s life.

Despite making obvious excuses to be closer to Sam—touching her hand when he handed over a chart, brushing against her as she walked by, helping her with a patient when she didn’t need his help—it didn’t make being around her any easier. His heart felt like it was being pulled in half, aching to be close to her, desperate to be near her. But she remained oblivious; she even started actively avoiding him towards the end of her shift and his, and he could honestly say he didn’t blame her.

If she was his Soulmate, and he wasn’t hers, then she probably had no idea where his sudden shift in attitude came from, or the sudden need to be near her and touch her and watch her. It was probably freaking her out, and he mentally slapped himself for being so stupid; he couldn’t push himself on her, especially not when she was meant to be with someone else.

Frustrated with himself and the entire fucked up situation, Gene almost missed Frannie frantically flagging him down.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Hey there, Frannie,” he greeted, his smile feeling strained and hollow.

Frannie’s lips pinched in sympathy, and she reached over the desk to gently pat his arm. “Oh, Gene, I am so sorry. Sam told me what happened this morning-”

“Wait, she knows I’m her Soulmate?” he demanded.

“Uh, no, Gene. She can’t be your Soulmate; word is, she already had a Soulmate and he…well, she couldn’t have said your words…” She lifted a brow, suddenly looking unsure. “Or…did she actually say them?”

Unable to speak, Gene merely nodded mutely, throat feeling tight at the revelation that Sam had a Soulmate already; no wonder she hadn’t shown any recognition at what he’d said. No wonder she was trying to avoid him. She was taken already. She belonged to another man, who could hold her and kiss her and-

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/11/2016 11:10 PM

Gene gave himself a shake. Okay, he needed to not think about that. All it was doing was causing more hurt, and the idea of Sam with someone else…well, he didn’t want to dwell on that particularly painful gem. “Guess I’m well and utterly screwed, huh?” he muttered, leaning his forehead on his palm. “If she’s already got a Soulmate, then I ain’t got no chance.”

“Wait, no…Gene, she doesn’t have a Soulmate now.”

Gene’s head shot up, and he stared at the receptionist with wide eyes. “But you just said-”

“I said ‘had.’ She’s completely single, though. I think I’ve even heard her complain about it. But she never talks about why, so…I mean, who knows if the stories are even true?” Frannie shrugged. “I invited her out to drinks tonight with some of the girls from work and some of the boys for your company. Why don’t you come? You can maybe get to know her better and see what her deal is; maybe we’re all wrong and she never had a Soulmate. And who knows? I mean…maybe you’ll say her words eventually?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext