Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Re: This Strange New World [P, Freezy][Quest]

Postby Freezair » 09/21/2016 1:39 PM

"I see," Desmond said. "So, you're very like us, then. You have many ways of gathering food. You lived in villages, too. And from what you tell me, Elves and humans could have children... hmm." Desmond hummed to himself, and it sounded a bit like purring. "And you, Bejikixen... Now, pardon me if I have this entirely wrong. But I believe you said Atherverticha--still don't think I have that right--but it sounds to me as if you two are pair-bonded? You said you share a 'deep, connecting bond.' I'm curious what this entails. Was there a ceremony for this as well? Do you live together?"

Couples tended to vary radically from world to world. Some cultures had no conception of monogamy, and the idea of taking only one partner was seen as horribly selfish and the height of impracticality. Other cultures were so strictly monogamous that for one half of a couple to simply go out in public without their other was the highest insult. Most fell somewhere in-between, and knowing how to be a couple, at least in public, was an important part of of adjusting to a world. Thankfully, Evelon tended to be a pretty permissive place. There were faux pas to be had there--like that woman who didn't bat an eye at the fact that men sometimes got pregnant on Evelon, but who was horribly offended that some Evelonians had children with their lovers instead of the people whose genes best complimented theirs--but most of those were easily smoothed over.

While Desmond was lost in thought, however, a smell began to waft over them. They were getting close. The smell was sweet and spicy, and even if you were from a world that had never invented barbecue sauce, it was impossible to miss the smell of good things cooking over flame. Not just meat. Vegetables and fruits cooked and smoked so they became juicy and crunchy. Be they vegan or carnivore, they had something for every palette there, which Desmond found made it a very useful place to show people Evelonian cuisine. And they were almost there...

I'm so cool (too bad I'm a loser).
I'm so smart (too bad I can't get anything figured out)!
I'm so brave (too bad I'm a baby).
I'm so fly
That's probably why it feels just like I'm falling for the first time!

I'm so green (it's really amazing).
I'm so clean (too bad I can't get all the dirt off of me)!
I'm so sane (It's driving me crazy)!
It's so strange
I can't believe I'm falling for the first time!

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 80
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/21/2016 2:43 PM

"Oh, no, no--Aesthyrarytiss and I are each other's rumag," Bejikixen said.  Athearverthicha looked again between the two with some measure of scrutiny--and after a few minutes more, she spoke.

"There is no mistaking the meaning of that word in the draconic tongue," she said, her voice somewhere between confused, happy, and upset.  "How long has this...?" she began, and then, she turned to Aesthyrarytiss and noticed something around her neck.  The necklace that hung there seemed otherwise plain, but set in the gold setting was an emerald, and engraved within the emerald--somehow--was the crest of Bahamut.  She looked up at her sister in shock, and tilted her head slightly.  Aesthyrarytiss blushed.

"I am not sure you want the answer to that question, myvish," she said, and Athearverthicha laughed incredulously.

"Well, it's not as though you could wielg and become Tarnished in this world--I have felt no traces of Bahamut in this world," she said.  "But... still, how...?"

"Later, myvish," Aesthyrarytiss promised.  The smell wafting over to them had caught their attention, and their mouths were all beginning to water.
Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind
Thinking I can see through this to see what's behind
Got no way to prove it, so maybe I'm lying
Take a look in the mirror, what do you see
Can you see it clearer, or are you deceived in what you believe?
Don't ask my opinion, don't ask me to lie
Then beg for forgiveness for making you cry
'cause I'm no prophet or Messiah
You should go looking somewhere higher

I'm only human, I make mistakes
I'm only human, I do what I can
I'm only human, that's all it takes to put the blame on me

Don't put the blame on me

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5883
Donate

Postby Freezair » 09/22/2016 7:25 PM

"Drat," Desmond muttered under his breath, as if he were the kind of sensitive person who didn't like to be caught making even minced oaths. "I didn't just pronounce it wrong, I got both of them mixed up. You'd think I'd be better with unfamiliar words by now..." He sighed and said, more out loud, "And it seems I've asked a sensitive question. My sincerest apologies. But, ah, look--"

A big, green-painted wooden signed loomed out at them down the street. The lettering was made out of bamboo, and carved wooden flowers adorned it. "TROPICAL HEAT GRILL," the sign said. Desmond stood in front of the door and it swung inward automatically, bespelled to open whenever someone drew near. After all, it was the best way of accommodating guests of many sizes.

The inside smelled of smoke and deliciousness. Clean white tables filled the place, and a man behind the counter, a big pair of fire-tipped feline ears sticking out from the sides of his hair cap, smiled. "Desmond! I was just thinking it's been a while. Is this business or pleasure, buddy?"

"Oh, a little of both," Desmond nodded. He pointed behind him with his tails. "They're new here. What do you recommend today that's vegetarian? I'll have my usual--the mahi mahi burger with the mango barbecue sauce."

"Well, the vegetarian skewers are magnifique, as you know." He looked towards the others. "We take a bunch of vegetables--sweet ones, spicy ones, sharp ones--and put 'em on a metal stick to cook over a fire. We use a mildly sweet sauce on them that's also a little savory and salty. And don't worry, we cook all our vegetable options on a separate grill from our meaty ones."

"I know you only mentioned your mother being vegetarian, but I figured I'd have him mention it," Desmond said.

((Feel free to make up your own menu items. I envision this place as a tropical grill place, so a lot of seafood and a lot of fruity, savory dishes.))

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/24/2016 9:49 AM

"Not so much sensitive as... vi lakinae," Athearverthicha said, trying her best to convey that "vi lakinae" meant something along the lines of "surprised".  "You see, in our world, our kind--ux Bahamuti, Dragonborns of Bahamut--such bonds are... naushindtor," she said, brandishing her hands to the side, trying to indicate that it was forbidden.  "Our first duty was to the Platinum Dragon, and in becoming Dragonborns, we also gave up our ability to bear offspring."

"That is... not true in this world, myvish," Aesthyrarytiss said to Athearverthicha.  The look on her face seemed to be something between concerned and shocked.

"How... how do you know this for sure?" she blurted out.  Bejikixen answered this time.

"Well, Yavsis Athearverthicha..." he said, and Athearverthicha paled slightly.  However, by this point in time, they had arrived at their destination, and Desmond had already placed his order.

"Hm... I haven't had any seafood since my time in Athesia," Bejikixen murmured, contemplating the menu.  Meanwhile, Aesthyrarytiss spoke up.

"The citrus shrimp sounds rather delicious," she said.  "The clam strips do, too..."

"Well, what would you recommend for first-timers?" Athearverthicha asked.
Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind
Thinking I can see through this to see what's behind
Got no way to prove it, so maybe I'm lying
Take a look in the mirror, what do you see
Can you see it clearer, or are you deceived in what you believe?
Don't ask my opinion, don't ask me to lie
Then beg for forgiveness for making you cry
'cause I'm no prophet or Messiah
You should go looking somewhere higher

I'm only human, I make mistakes
I'm only human, I do what I can
I'm only human, that's all it takes to put the blame on me

Don't put the blame on me

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5883
Donate

Postby Freezair » 09/26/2016 2:44 PM

((Sorry for the delay in posting. Busy weekend. D:))

"I see," Desmond said. "I... I pardon if that was not for me to overhear. But we do have something like that in this world. There are people who swear their lives to the higher powers of this land--Zu'hai and Yepha, and very rarely Xai're, though he is a god of death and thus his acolytes are rare--and thus give vows of celibacy." But Desmond sensed this was more than a vow--this was a physical transformation.

He fell quiet. Desmond sensed that this was something important and personal to these people, and while he was curious about other worlds, he knew when not to pry. But he did quietly feel some sympathy for them. If he understood them right, their love had been forbidden before, but now that they were in Evelon, they were free to be together. Some people often sought to return home, but not all, and those who could be with their lovers were often the happiest to make a new home here. If he was understanding correctly--and he still wasn't confident he was, drat it all--he hoped Bejikixen and Aesthyrarytiss could find some happiness here if they didn't want to return home.

"...Desmond?" the attendant said. "Hello? Evelon to Desmond! You still with us?"

Desmond shook his head. "Ah, of course! What now?"

"The lady's interested to know what the best choice for first-timers is. Her companions are eyeing the citrus shrimp and clam strips."

"Oh! The citrus shrimp are lovely. So are the clam strips, but be warned. They are somewhat rich. If you're not used to rich foods, they may upset your stomach slightly. But I could eat a hundred citrus shrimp and not feel ill! You've spied a good one. I also recommend the tuna burger with the mango salsa. It's mild and sweet with just a little bit of spice. Mangoes and spices--the delightful flavor dance of the tropics! And everything, EVERYTHING goes better with a side of grilled bell peppers!"

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous