Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

What I'm thankful for? [Self][Quest][Finished]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 4:37 AM

ImageImage
Crax & Candy

"Where have you brought me this time?" Candy asked with a smile as she walked down the street with her housemate Crax. He was always off on some adventure or other, and this time he had rented a small townhouse for the two of them in the Town of Nabias.

"I thought we'd do something different this year for our traditional 'Thanks for life daycation' teased Crax. He grinned as he walked by her side; he had been in love with his housemate for quite a while but had never worked up the courage to do anything about it. He hoped with his plans for this year, he would finally be able to confess, though he worried about losing her if she didn't feel the same.

[1]
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Re: What I'm thankful for? [Self][Quest]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 4:47 AM

Candy giggled at his teasing; they always went away for Thanks for life day, as neither had any family remaining that they could spend it with and being in the house reminded them of this fact. She sobered as she remembered the last time she had seen her mother and brother - the last time they had spoken. She wondered idly how they were doing, and whether they ever thought about her too.

Crax also thought about his family this time of year, but with a much heavier heart than Candy did. His wife's death weighed on him heavily - though ex-wife would have been a more accurate term, Crax had still been in love with her when she left him.

[2]
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 4:51 AM

As they continued to walk down the cobbled street, they passed a toy shop and Crax's heart ached with remembrance for the daughter he had lost that fateful day. Though her body had never been found, the search for her had been given up long ago, and Crax had had to move on as best he could.

Noticing where his eyes lay and guessing what he was thinking about, Candy nudged his shoulder. "Hey," she said gently with a soft smile, "try not to live in the past - it's the holiday to be thankful, right? We're here to get away from thoughts like those."

Crax smiled a little sadly as he nudged her shoulder back; meeting her had been the thing that lifted his spirits, and he couldn't imagine where he would be without her - nor did he want to.

[3]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 4:55 AM

As they approached the door that was theirs for the week, Crax smiled; it was painted a bright sunny yellow, with an autumn wreath hanging from it. Their luggage had been put away earlier, before they took a stroll around the town, and he had hired a cook to prepare the  things needed to make a Thanks for life day meal for them. They could both cook well, but he wanted this getaway to be relaxing above all else, and having either of them worrying about provisions would have gone against his plans.

Candy too smiled as she saw the townhouse, but for a different reason; she hoped to make many good memories with her dear friend and housemate, and she could see he had something planned for them. She had loved him too, though he didn't know it - neither of them were aware of the other's feelings.

[4]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 5:00 AM

Unlocking the door, Crax was set on planning the meal whilst Candy would go around the house securing the doors and windows. It was an arrangement they had both agreed on long ago, as she would worry if she didn't ensure they were secure herself and he loved making her favourite foods.

This year, he mused, was going to need to be extra special. Obviously they had the roast dinner with all of the trimmings, but he was also planning several extras as snacks and desserts. Delicate gingerbread and pumpkin pies, miniature candided cornucopia croissants, and a cheesecake that he considered his signature dish. Candy had squealed in delight when he revealed he was planning to make it - she adored the strawberry and clotted cream cheesecake he made, and he had resolved to never make another type.

[5]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 5:07 AM

The kitchen was quite large which gave him plenty of surfaces to work on, whilst also allowing Candy to sit at the central worktop with a book. She too enjoyed cooking, but she had conceded to allowing him to spoil her this year - at most, he had said, she could do the decorating. She had secretly planned to make pancakes for breakfast the next day before he awoke, but he didn't need to know that.

Crax was still chatting away to her about his planned menu for the week; she was already salivating at the thought of the roast, but knowing she had the rest of the week to look forward to make her genuinely happy. "And I can't wait for saturday" he rattled on, "I'll be making a pear tart for dessert - I know how much you love pear tarts - and I'm trying a new pastry, so it ought to be exciting!"

[6]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 5:16 AM

Crax's enthusiasm was highly contagious, and Candy couldn't help smiling wider as they discussed plans for their outings. Whilst it would be too dangerous to go outside on the actual Thanks for life day (after all, nobody wanted to get trampled or eaten by a rampaging herd of Turkezilla), they could and would be leaving the house every other day and there were lots of things they wanted to do in the quiet little town.

"We can do lunch on Wednesday at the restaurant in the local inn - they're supposed to serve the best soup around, and they have an actual wood-burning stove so I'll bet it's cozy" Candy said with a smile. She wasn't too worried about food, as Crax had made plans for a three course dinner every day, but it would be nice to go out for a meal with him. He was always funny when they went out to eat, and the Inn had looked very inviting, with it's attractive lawn and traditional interior.

[7]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 5:20 AM

Crax was most looking forward to that Saturday, as the town would be holding a handmade fair in the churchyard. Being a master textile trader himself (as well as enjoying working with fabric in his free time) he was looking forward to seeing the beautiful wares they would have for sale, as well as perhaps finding new inspiration for his designs.

Candy shared his delight, though her passion was more in interior design and decorating. She owned a small, successful business of her own - though not as successful as Crax, she was independent and confident in her abilities. They had often joked that they should merge the companies as they were in similar fields, and enjoyed sharing their designs and inspiration with one another.

[8]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 6:14 AM

As Crax put the finishing touches on that night's dinner (it was only Monday, so he had gone with a simple prawn cocktail, followed by bolognese with side salad and garlic bread, and finished off with light whipped cream drizzled over a fruit salad), Candy set the table and lit the chandelier candles. Whomever had designed this living room had certainly had a good head on their shoulders, as the chandelier was off to the side to avoid accidental drips on the diners, yet it gave off a warm glow which lit the whole room adequately.

Candy licked her lips when the first dish was placed in front of her; artistically arranged, she knew it would taste as good as it looked, as Crax would have sampled everything himself and wouldn't settle for anything less than top quality. He sat down opposite to join her, and flashed her a grin as he saw she had already raised her fork to begin - he knew all of her favourite foods well!

Clearing up after the first course, Crax offered to pour Candy a glass of red wine to go with their main - the bolognese was cooked to perfection and dusted with Parmesan, and a glass of red wine would offset the taste nicely.

[9]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 6:23 AM

Finally, it was time for dessert; Crax couldn't help smirking as he brought out that night's concoction of fruit and delicate cream. Candy gave him a heated look as she took the first strawberry and delicately placed it in her mouth, before blushing with pleasure at the exquisite taste. As with everything, he had gone for only the finest and freshest produce and it was all sourced locally, improving the freshness beyond what even magic could achieve.

Crax took a gulp of his wine (white this time - the red had been for dinner, now a white was served with dessert) at the look Candy gave him. He knew they had a connection but didn't trust himself not to read too much into their interactions - they were so close, she may just have been communicating pleasure at the food.

[10]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 6:28 AM

Candy saw by his blush that her look had not gone unnoticed, and chuckled to herself. It seemed he wasn't as immune to her as she had thought, though how attracted he actually was to her was yet to be determined. She resolved to continue flirting with him subtly, to see how things would turn out.

Crax took encouragement from her to begin after-dinner conversation, and by the time they went to bed they had discussed all manner of things to do with tomorrow's plans and had played three rounds of chess, with Candy winning two out of three. She was sure he had let her win the last one, but she enjoyed the attention he was lavishing upon her and so wouldn't complain.

[11]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 6:34 AM

The next day they had planned to go for a walk in the lush botanical gardens at the edge of town, and Candy rose bright and early. Crax awoke a short while later to be greeted by tinkling laughter and a large tray full of breakfast - pancakes, freshly squeezed orange juice, blueberry muffins, honey, jam and toast. He laughed as he had planned something very similar for her, and they shared the tray's contents (which had been Candy's intention).

Crax then went to shower and dress, and Candy went to change (having showered earlier and dressed in her cooking dress and apron to prepare and serve breakfast). When they met in the hallway to leave the house, Crax looked fresh in a pale icy blue shirt that looked white against his hair and dark blue trousers, whilst Candy wore a pale pink sundress with a pale to dark pink gradient at the skirt, and a wide-brimmed pale pink sunhat with roses around it.

[12]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 6:40 AM

"You match the day, my dear," Crax said as Candy twirled to let him admire her outfit; "you both look lovely." He picked up a picnic basket and smiled at her answering giggle, before being complimented himself. "You look good too; that blue really brings out your eyes and hair" Candy said, picking up her small handbag and leading the way out of the front door.

The gardens were beautiful, flowing with rich colours - the full autumn spectrum as was the season's due, as well as many flowers that bloomed in late autumn, rich berries and fruits, and evergreens which retained their lush colour all year round. The two of them walked for a while, pointing out different plants and discussing desserts which could be made with the ripe fruits, before finding a lovely gazebo where they sat to eat lunch.

[13]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 6:47 AM

Today Crax had thought ahead and had prepared a selection of delicate sandwiches and cold meat nibbles, as well as fruit tarts and a sparkling sweet white wine to wash it all down with. Candy was impressed; she knew he had good taste but he was really going above and beyond for this year's vacation. Christmas would also be coming up soon, and she wondered idly if he had even more plans for that occasion as she nibbled elegantly on the delicious food and sipped her glass of wine.

Crax was very pleased at how the day was going; Candy seemed to be enjoying herself immensely and he was surprised at how peaceful and easy it was being in her company at this time of year. He realised with a smile that he hadn't thought about his family at all that morning, and was pleased with the thought that she was helping him move forward - even though he acknowledged she had been there for him throughout, it was comforting that she had chosen to remain by his side, and it encouraged his plans to move them to becoming a couple.

[14]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/16/2016 6:55 AM

As they returned to the house in the delicate afternoon sun, Candy paused to pick up a flower in a glass bottle that had been left on their doorstep. A note attached to it read "Welcome to Nabias, we hope you enjoy your stay" and it was signed by the Innkeeper they had been planning to meet the next day, along with his wife.

"Well, isn't that lovely of them" she said with a smile as she turned to face Crax; it seemed she had been smiling non-stop since they arrived - this vacation was definitely doing her good. "Indeed," answered Crax with a soft grin; "we will definitely need to stop in for lunch tomorrow and thank them." He did think it was a lovely gesture, but more than that was how it had made Candy light up with joy - she had looked radiant, and his heart had felt like it would burst.

[15]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Next