Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Re: .:Millie's Winter Event:. [LAST 5 Slots]

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/30/2017 4:07 AM

“This reminds of home,” she hummed, letting the fire’s warmth wash over her. It wasn’t a surprising comparison - the heat of the canyonlands could probably outdo even the largest bonfire on most summer days, after all. He’d heard other visitors complain about it, sitting on the windy edges of cliffs to seek some relief in the form of the breeze. Those were the ones that never stayed long, he’d noticed.

“Yeah,” he hummed, leaning in as he agreed with her. She’d insisted on visiting here during the winter, for the festivities, which was a good idea. In theory. The cold was biting, and while her natural resistance as a white dragon might mean it didn’t bother her much, Damien was another story. Bred and raised in a desert, living in a heat-dried canyon… yeah, this place was a little much for him. “Why don’t we stick around here for a bit, then?”

[2 - Bonfire]

He sleeps alone,
He needs no army where he's headed cause he knows
That they're just ghosts
And they can't hurt him if he can't see them
And I don't know
If in the morning I will be here and if so,
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Imp Docs ☽☾ Zoo ☽☾ Wishlist
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 90
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/30/2017 4:11 AM

Curios seemed to pout a bit at that.

“But, but there’s sooo much to see!” she whined, not unlike a kid being told they had to go home from the playground. “It’s getting late already - what if we miss something??” Ah, that face of hers again. She’d pulled Damien’s hand up under her chin, peering at him with wide blue eyes. She was far too good at that for a grown adult.

“We won’t miss anything,” he reassured, though he felt his heart give a tiny pang of guilt as she pouted again. “The walk over here was exhausting, though. Why don’t we sit down? Just for a minute.” She peered at him, chewing on her bottom lip as she considered it before ducking her head in acceptance.

[3 - Bonfire]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/30/2017 4:17 AM

Damien lead them over to one of the large logs, sitting down on it with a heavy exhale of misty breath. Curios plopped rather dramatically down beside him, and for a moment he wondered if she would continue to pout until they got moving again. She quickly abandoned this notion, however, snuggling right up into Damien’s arm as they sat. The firelight and chatter around them washed over the pair, and for a little while they just sat there, soaking it all in.

He remembered things like this from his youth. Bonfires, built up with sparse, desert wood, burning in the starry night sky and filling the entire camp with the scent of smoke. There was always another tinge to it, some herb or spice that someone had added to the fire, making the smoke twist and twirl upwards in a different way. Curios shifted against him again, humming contentedly to herself. Damien considered that though he was surrounded by snow instead of sand, he definitely preferred this memory to any other that he had made.

[4 - Bonfire]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/30/2017 4:21 AM

After a few more minutes, he considered the fact that maybe they were getting a bit too comfy. He had begun to get a little dozy, he’d admit, and Curios was practically melting against him. He crossed his hands together and gave a stretch, hand coming back to scratch at the back of his neck. Oof, yep. Definitely time to move on, as wonderful as this spot was. He gave Curios a nudge, and she muffled grunt in response.

“Okay, you win. Time to go.” She gave a stretch of her own, unable to help a yawn before getting to her feet. She tugged him up, and with a smile, began to lead him through the crowd once more. She was a little calmer now, he noted, and the thought made him smile. Stopping really had been a good idea, after all.

[5 - Bonfire]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/30/2017 4:33 AM

She tugged again when they got to where the tree was. Damien had heard her gasp, bouncing on her heels and urging him to come on. Chuckling, he had obliged, and after scurrying through an even thicker crowd, they found themselves standing beneath it. The thing was huge, and covered in decorations, and lights. It even had real candles on it, just like they had for year before. It was a true sight to behold.

“Vot éto da!” Curios breathed, eyes wide at the sheer size of it. It was almost adorable, really, that a dragon of all creatures would find the size of a tree wondrous. No, scratch that. It was definitely adorable. Still chuckling, Damien let his arm wrap around her, giving a gentle squeeze.

[6 - Christmas Tree]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/30/2017 4:37 AM

“It’s something, isn’t it?” he asked, pulling her in and giving her forehead a tiny kiss. She nodded in response, just a tiny movement as the majority of her focus was taken up in staring at the tree. His own focus, however, was quickly distracted by the sounds of laughter to his right. He glanced over as a small group of children galloped past, each holding their own holiday treat as the scampered towards the tree. The first one nearly bowled him over, the second stopping to apologize profusely as the third just tried to keep up. He couldn’t help a little smile as he watched.

“You want one, don’t you?” Curios’ voice surprised him, and he looked back at her. Her eyes had moved from the tree to him, soft and knowing as she smiled. Ah, she didn’t mean one of their treats, did she?

[7 - Christmas Tree]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/30/2017 4:43 AM

“Yeah,” he said, voice quiet in the winter air. He watched them for a little while, smiling at the one that caused the trouble while the others chided after them. The pair of them were definitely siblings. Maybe all three, even. He couldn’t imagine juggling that many at once. “One day.” Curios smiled wider, snuggling into his side as she looked back to the tree, this time her gaze a little lower as the kids laughed and played around the base.

“One day,” she repeated. Somehow, despite having left the bonfire far behind them, Damien felt warm.

[8 - Christmas Tree]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/30/2017 4:52 AM

They stood there for a bit, staring at the kids and at the tree, and just soaking in the holiday spirit. At least, that was what Damien thought they were doing, until Curios opened her mouth again.

“I wanna climb it.” He had to do a double-take, really, though it should have been no surprise. Having been with her for this long, he should know to expect the truly bizarre from her. Still, it wasn’t… quite what he expected to hear her say, about a giant christmas tree, in the middle of a festival.

“Curios,” he said gently, giving her shoulder a little squeeze. “Honey.” She looked up at him. “You can’t climb it.” She let out a snort, bumping her head against his shoulder.

“I know!” she said, rolling her eyes at him. “ ...but I want to.”

[9 - Christmas Tree]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/30/2017 4:56 AM

“You’re hungry, aren’t you?” he asked, eyebrows raising in a suspicious arch. Curios huffed again, folding her arms as if to deny it. “Don’t you get sour now, dear. You know always get antsy when you’re hungry.” She held out for another minute, teetering back and forth before exhaling, leaning back into him.

“Yeaaahh okay, you’re right,” she admitted, that same wide smile breaking across her face. He laughed in return, giving her another kiss on the forehead.

“Let’s go see if we can scrounge up something to eat then, yes?” he suggested, and she nodded in agreement. One arm still around her, Damien led them off from the tree, sparing one last glance at the kids as the disappeared from view.

One day.

[10 - Christmas Tree]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/30/2017 4:59 AM

“Over here!” Curios said at least, finally sneaking out from Damien’s grip to take the lead once more. He’d been guiding them along, in search of something to fill their bellies, when she’d caught a scent. Nose like a bloodhound, she had, and he was never quite sure he’d get used to it. She dragged him along until they reached what looked like a bakery, warm and inviting. She looked back at him with a quizzical headtilt, questioning the decision.

“Looks perfect,” he said, and with a grin Curios tugged them both inside. The rush of warm air was especially welcome, immediately making his face feel colder than he’d realized it was. The gentle chatter of folks inside made it seem warm and homey, and Damien found himself rather glad that they had found their way there.

[11 - Bakery]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/30/2017 5:03 AM

“Wait here,” he said, motioning to one of the small little tables against the east window. “I’ll get us something.” Curios chewed her lip again, looking as if she were deciding something, but nodded, hopping onto one of the bar-stool style seats.

“Okay, but pick a good one!” she said. She gave him an accusatory point, but was unable to keep the smile off her face. Damien chuckled at that, glancing at the wide selection of baked goods and warm drinks offered at the counter. That wouldn’t be hard from the look of it.

“Do I ever not?” he asked, but the way her smile shifted into a grin made him think he shouldn’t have asked that question. “Nevermind. Be right back, sweetheart.”

[12 - Bakery]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/30/2017 5:08 AM

After some deliberation, luckily done in the safety of the waiting line, Damien decided on a chai for himself, a black coffee for her, and a wonderful looking kolache to split between them. Well, split being a relative term, really. He would probably get a bite in before Curios devoured it, knowing her. The woman knew good food when she saw it, and rarely did she let it go uneaten. Mainly, by herself.

“Here we are,” he said, carefully setting down her drink and presenting the pastry. She practically lit up at the sight of it, and he felt a little guilty for not suggesting they do food in the first place. He should have known she’d be starving, per usual. “Did I do good?”

[13 - Bakery]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/30/2017 5:12 AM

“Wonderful,” she practically sang, before immediately diving into the kolache. Ah, yep, he’d been right. Still, as long as he got a bite, Damien would be satisfied. He’d always carried a lighter stomach than she had, anyway. “Oh my gods, I love you.” The words came out muffled through a mouthful of crumbs and fruit, and Damien snorted. Some things never did change.

“Are you talking to me or the pastry?” he teased, leaning his chin onto his palm with a smile as he watched her, one hand wrapped around the warmth of his drink. She chewed her way through another bite before responding.

“Both.”

[14 - Bakery]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,