Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Re: .:Millie's Winter Event:. [LAST 5 Slots]

Postby crow » 01/22/2017 12:17 PM

Sendou stared at his hands, at the empty cup. "I wanted him to be happy," he said. It sounded pathetic even to his ears, and he hated himself for the admittance, and for his inability to achieve that end.

"He is a very unhappy individual, I will give you that. But then, you chose him." Elirian was sipping at his own drink now, a concoction more lurid than the pastry Sendou had chosen to purchase. It fit him, in a way that made Sendou think that nothing had changed. Idleness had not curbed his personality in any significant way, as his brother might have hoped. At Sendou's despondent bearing, however, he frowned and said more gently, "Let him choose it, Sendou. Show him the possibility, but don't force his hand."

"And you... believe he will choose it, in the end?" Sendou tried not to sound too hopeful, but Elirian's smile was sad.

"He may. Or he may not. But I can assure you that he will be more unhappy if you continue like this." He stared out at the crowd, milling adults and chattering children. "Humans do so love even the illusion of choice. My brother learned that the hard way, you know. I don't want to see you do the same."

Bakery 39
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby crow » 01/22/2017 12:18 PM

Neither of them spoke after that, each absorbed in their own thoughts. The general din of the crowd filled the silence for them, but they had both to some extent ceased to notice, absorbed as they were with their ruminations. At length, it was Sendou who broke the reverie. "If that is the case, then what do I do now?" he asked, looking not at Elirian but at Cantus.

Elirian, for his part, had to take a moment to recall where he was, and what he was doing. Memories were still a difficult thing in his current state, and it was all too easy to lapse back into the void that had haunted his first few years. It was fortunate, in a way, that Sendou had such a particular way of dress. In the Garden it wouldn't have been strange, but most of the Garden's residents were either permanent fixtures of the Garden itself, or were more flexible about their choice of fashion.

"Take him home, for starters," said Elirian. "Let him wake, and maybe this time give back what you'd taken. Not all at once; a little at a time."

Bakery 40
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/22/2017 1:21 PM

"I would tell you to let it come to him in a dream, to break it all the more gently, but I'm afraid Senna will have my head for that," Elirian said cheerfully.

The mention of the dream-weaver broke Sendou out of his despondence enough to narrow his eyes at Elirian, who noticed the scrutiny and raised a brow again in a silent query. Sendou tried for a moment to decide whether Elirian was merely feigning ignorance, but he hadn't spotted the lie before, when he knew it was there. He wouldn't be able to see it now. "Senna is in no position to do anything about that," said Sendou, slowly. "Perhaps Yue, but---"

"Senna? But--- What's happened to her?" The sudden onset of alarm in Elirian startled Sendou. He was generally cheerful, flippant, carefree; sometimes there was a melancholy to him, or a subdued sense of graveness. It wasn't that he wasn't often surprised; a being that embodied chaos ought to expect to fall victim to his own embodiment once in a while. But generally he laughed it off, as if it was merely a gift he hadn't anticipated.

This time, he looked worried.

Bakery 41
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/22/2017 1:22 PM

Sendou found himself leaning unconsciously back as Elirian leaned forward. Elirian probably didn't even realize he was doing what he was doing. "You... didn't know, then. She is searching for you."

Elirian continued to be incredulous. "Senna? But... But she's..."

"Evidently she trusts her second enough to leave for some time. Just as you do," Sendou couldn't help but point out. After all, it would be hypocrisy for Elirian to speak of his attendants holding the fort and not realize that Senna was doing the same. He waited for the realization to sink in and to pass, and for Elirian to come out of it alright again, but it didn't happen. The young man in front of him continued to look flabbergasted and concerned.

Snapping to attention with a suddenness that nearly made Sendou flinch, he said, "Who else is with her? Where is she? What is she doing?"

Sendou put up his hands in a placating gesture, both against the prospect of more questions and because he had little in the way of answers. "One of your archivists, the former mortal... Beckett. He accompanies her now. I know nothing more. The last time I saw them, they were crossing my borders."

Bakery 42
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

They would be in the mortal realm now, somewhere, but as to where, he couldn't say. The Mirrored River might have answers, but Sendou's own waters had no scrying properties, and he only knew what the other spirits chose to share. They did not speak of the dream-weaver and her companion, so in all likelihood they had blended in well with current mortal fashions, and gone undetected as nothing worthy of note.

Or they may have died somewhere landbound.

That possibility had not escaped Elirian either, and Sendou had the sense that Elirian was having many of the same thoughts that he himself was now having.

"She will have your head for other reasons," said Sendou. It was not reassurance, but it was his best attempt at something like. "As I understand it, she was very upset when it was discovered you were gone."

"She would have assumed that I chose to do it," he said. At first he sounded tired, slumped in his chair, head in his hands. But then a peal of laughter broke from him, and then another. The first was more of a bark, and it was only when the rest came forth that Sendou understood it for what it was.

Bakery 43
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

When at last he stopped, he was shaking his head. "She knows me well. She's wrong this time, but she couldn't have anticipated what happened. And I am choosing not to go back now, I suppose. Very well, she's welcome to lop off my head when she finds me."

"But she won't, until you've had your fun, will she?" said Sendou. It was a little gratifying to be the one doing the admonishing rather than the other way around. As a creature almost Elirian's equal in age, if not necessarily in power, Sendou felt it ought to be his due to be able to do so once in a while.

"No, she won't," said Elirian, who never did hold much with lying. "But I will find her, I think. Yes, that might be best, now." Clearly he didn't trust Beckett, though whether the archivist's shortcomings had to do with protecting the dream-weaver or keeping her in check, he could not tell. Granted, either way, Beckett didn't look as if he would be particularly good at it. What happened to the archivist when the inevitable reunion occurred was anyone's guess, really.

Bakery 44
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/22/2017 1:23 PM

With that, Elirian rose from his seat. "I should get going," he said, polishing off the last of his drink. "It was nice seeing you, Sendou. I'm glad you did find someone. You were looking kind of lonely." Shooting him a cheeky smile, he gave a jaunty little wave, and with that, was on his way.

He was greeted near the door by a pair, who both looked up at his approach.

ImageImage

The girl, young and slight, pushed off from where she had been leaning against the bar-style table built into the wall. "So?" she said. "How did it go? You met with your... friend?" She was craning her neck for a better look at Sendou, who really did stick out like a sore thumb, especially here. She didn't say anything now, but she'd said plenty when she first laid eyes on him, even after being hushed by her companion.

Elirian smiled and spread his hands. "Everything's good," he said. "We had a little talk, and I'm satisfied."

"The job's finished then," said the man. He was young himself, but clearly older than the girl, and taller, though this wasn't an especially great achievement. He was, in fact, of middling height, with a trim build that spoke of fitness. His words were brisk, as if he wished for the deal to be done.

Bakery 45
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/22/2017 1:50 PM

The girl was elbowing him in the side, and he was beginning to glare, but Elirian just laughed it off. He could understand the man's sentiment, and hardly minded something like that. "Yes, it's done!" he said, not bothered in the least. "You're free to go now. Thanks for the ride, and the company." He waved them off. The man needed no excuse, and after a slight backward glance, the girl followed him out.

"Hmm, and they didn't even eat anything," said Elirian, watching them go. "I guess they must not like sweets."

~

Outside the shop, the two were bickering. "I can't believe you picked up a hitchhiker," said Fabio. "I can't believe you used the program to pick up a hitchhiker. What do you think we are, a charity?"

"Hey, he paid," Melanie shot back. "Besides, we were going to the same place anyway, and he was only a little out of our way."

"A little," said Fabio, "a little! I had to take a forty-five minute detour! Gosh, now I'm scared to think of what you might mean when you say 'a lot'. And by the way, who pays entirely in nickels, huh? I bet he would've paid in pennies if the mint hadn't declared that those weren't a thing anymore."

Bakery 46; moving to Petting Zoo
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

"Okay, so he's a little weird. Not like this is the first time we've helped weird people." Melanie gave a shrug. Truth be told there really had been something a little weird about it, though she couldn't put her finger on what. Eccentrics were, as she had just said, not unusual in their line of work. The kind of person who hires someone advertising as a 'modern-day vigilante' had to be at least slightly kooky. But this Liri's case had seemed strangely compelling, almost as if she had been meant to find it.

... Or maybe she just had one too many Monsters. Yeah, that was more likely. And she wasn't about to admit to any funny feelings of her own if Fabio was going to hound her like this, so that was that.

Looking to change the subject, she cast around for a topic. "Oh, right--- Finch says hi," she said. Fabio did a double-take at that.

"Who?" he said. "Finch?"

"Yes, Finch. Fabio, you're not developing a hearing problem, are you?" Melanie narrowed her eyes at him.

Petting Zoo 47
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Fabio rolled his eyes, and shoved the butt of his palm into her forehead, pushing her back. "Yeah, yeah. But how do you know Finch? I barely know Finch."

"I told you before, I know a lot of people," Melanie said.

Fabio frowned. "Isn't that against Flock policy? I thought we were supposed to keep to our own units, to help maintain anonymity." It was... kind of like a league, except usually you got to pick your own code name. And he never remembered his favorite heroes growing up having a heckling voice on the comm, even if Melanie made herself useful once in a while. It wasn't worth the emotional grief. Given the choice, he'd rather have gadgets.

Melanie shrugged. "Yeah, but most people come in when they're not minors anymore. I've been with the Flock since I was a kid, so I knew everyone. Besides, Finch was one of my former partners."

"Wait," said Fabio, "wait wait wait. You had a former partner?"

It was Melanie's turn to roll her eyes now. "I've had three. And I've told you about them before, you just weren't listening. Shows how much you know."

Petting Zoo 48
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/22/2017 1:56 PM

She stuck her tongue out at him for good measure, and he sputtered. "Hey, what gives? How come when I've gone through handlers I'm an incompetent good-for-nothing, but when you've done it it's fine?"

"Handlers and agents are different," she said. "Look, do you want the hello or not? She said she wanted to pass on some good vibes, and don't you have this massive crush on her? I honestly thought you'd be happy about this."

That got him sputtering again. "No," he said, but it was as close to mulish as someone his age could get. "I just... wanted to get to know her a little better."

"Well, now you are, through me," said Melanie. "And isn't that against Flock policy, where we're supposed to be anonymous?"

"Okay, first of all, Finch is just one agent. Second, rules can be bent." In a much smaller voice, he said, "Tell her I said, uh, thanks." He glanced away as he said it, and Melanie had to bite back the urge to laugh.

She settled for teasing him instead. "Yeah, I'll be sure to do it exactly like that. 'Uhhhhh. Thanks.' That's what he said--- Ow!" He had smacked her upside the head, and now she glowered at him. "That's handler abuse, you know! See if I tell her anything now."

Petting Zoo 49
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/22/2017 3:22 PM

The two stood with a somewhat guilty stance while Shikyu stared them down, before Yin breathed in, puffing up a bit to face him. “We wouldn’t have ditched you if you weren’t seriously killing the fun, man,” Yin snapped, but kept his voice as un-hostile as possible. Still, Six winced at the human’s bluntness. “How’s anyone supposed to relax or, hell, even breathe with you constantly hovering? There are no angels here. If there were, there’d be an uproar.”

Shikyu was silent, looking like he was biting the inside of his cheek to hold himself from speaking at first. Then he snarled, expelling a breath angrily. “The low level ones can cloak perfectly fine. Even the middle-level ones can sometimes--”

“And we can take those. You’re underestimating us, Shikyu,” Yin barked, giving the other demon a superior glance. “You probably could too, but I won’t blame ya for running off like a coward.”

“Li,” Six muttered in warning, hating that this was happening here. He just wanted some nuts. Come on. Yin continued to chatter light but still cutting abuse at Shikyu, until Six saw Shikyu’s body shift with purpose. Instinct took over, and Six darted in between the two just in time to get Shikyu’s merciless punch right in the center of his chest. It did little but make him stagger slightly, a frightened silence falling over both parties (and a few onlookers as well). Six coughed as the wind was momentarily knocked out of him, but he stayed on his feet.

“O-oh god okay, I’m sorry, hey--Six, I didn’t mean… I-I wasn’t gonna…” Shikyu trailed off, a terrified smile etched wide into his face as he cradled his hand in his other. Six’s chest was hard, and it hurt.

Yin was stunned into silence, staring at Six’s back, his eyes almost locked on the place where Six’s wings were. And lower, there would be the enormous scar that an archangel had put there months before, still not healed. Maybe never healed. “Why… did you take that for me?” Yin mumbled under his breath, too soft to hear behind the demons’ talking.

“I get that Li was being an asshole, but you... do not... hit him. Is that understood?” Six’s posture had changed from annoyance to a sharp protective hostility, looming easily over Shikyu. Yin knew that Six could do some serious damage. Six wouldn’t kill Shikyu, but he’d rough him up pretty bad… and in a public place, that would be seriously hard to explain.

Yin darted around Six and shoved himself between the two demons, trying to push them apart with his arms. “Can you two stop for a second?” Yin snapped, thankful for Six’s intimidation--without it, Shikyu would probably have thrown him to the ground and… honestly, apologized. Shikyu wasn’t much of a fighter, or a punisher, or a vengeful spirit. A doormat among yakuza. Yin felt a pang of regret for saying such mean things, even though they were all true. “Shikyu,” he began, feeling Six’s trembling anger under his other hand, as he turned away from the wrathful demon. “I’m sorry.” His eyes were hard, but earnest, for the most part. Shikyu stared at him for a few moments, then let out a shaky, nervous breath, calming quickly.

“Yeah. M’sorry I tried to punch you,” Shikyu murmured, nodding his head slowly. Six barely relaxed. “And…” Shikyu dithered, glancing away from the two in thought, then back at them. “I’m sorry that I’ve been so jumpy. I wouldn’t do it if I could help it. You know that.”

“Dunno, I thought you were just being annoying to be annoying,” Yin muttered, but flashed the frog demon a smile. “Truce?”

[The Roasted Chestnut Stand - 16]

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/22/2017 3:34 PM

Six’s posture still suggested otherwise, but Yin wasn’t looking at him. He was asking Shikyu, moreso than the angry demon behind him. Shikyu nodded after a beat of hesitation, stepping away and putting out his hand to shake. Yin eyed it, not knowing where those hands had been (the frog demon’s hygiene was, in general, rather poor), but after a moment of thought, he shook it and let go. “Truce. I’ll… try to keep my comments to myself, yeah?” Shikyu began, digging into his pocket. Yin’s brows perked slightly as the demon pulled something out and held it out to Yin.

It was a plastic-wrapped candy cane from the tree. “That’s… not the one that was in your mouth, was it?” Yin hesitated, hand sliding away from Six’s chest to hover at his side, tempted to take it. He did still want one of those. He kinda liked peppermint. He really liked it.

“What? No--a’course not. You think I’m tryina poison you?” Shikyu bristled slightly, face hurt. Yin snatched it up before Shikyu could go on another pity-spiel, and slowly unwrapped it.

“...thanks,” Yin murmured, putting the end of it in his mouth. Yeah, it tasted fine. He glanced over at Shikyu, then smiled slightly, nodding his head. “Really. Thanks a ton, man.”

Six watched the two, conflicting feelings fluttering in his chest, but… at least harmony was restored for the most part. For now. He was still mad at Shikyu--and, to some extent, still mad at Yin, even though he knew that a punch from Shikyu would be no laughing matter for the human, who was small—and any human would find Shikyu’s punches more than painful.

And perhaps of course it was a kind of internalized guilt, too, from that time when Six had let his anger get the better of him. He hated remembering that, even if it was in the past, taken care of, apologized for, and smoothed over. It still made his chest tight with guilt. “Oh, hey,” he murmured mutely, reaching into his pocket and pulling out the cake bag. It was a tiny bit squished, now, but still fully edible. “Shikyu. We got you this,” he offered, holding the bag out to the frog. Shikyu blinked, then took it cautiously, looking inside. His eyes lit up immediately.

“Dang, you guys!” he exclaimed, pulling out the peppermint cake wrapped in paper. “This is great--alright, heck, all is forgiven. I love this stuff,” he mumbled, already taking a bite and relishing the taste.

Yin and Six exchanged a glance, a grin passing between them. Six decided to push his luck, just a bit, painful memories momentarily pushed back to the back of his mind. “Can I please go get some roasted nuts, now?” he asked plaintively.

[The Roasted Chestnut Stand - 17]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/22/2017 3:50 PM

Yin sighed dramatically, moving his hand to lightly shove Six in the direction of the stand. “Go aheeeead,” Yin drawled, shaking his head. Six grinned and chuckled, tail lightly flicking Yin’s side as he trotted off to the stand. Yin sucked at the peppermint stick, then looked over at Shikyu, who had paused in thought from eating. “Hey, frog,” Yin murmured, keeping his voice low. “Can I… talk to you?”

Shikyu blinked, a little startled, and swallowed the bite he’d been holding in his mouth. “Yeah. Fire away,” he murmured, keeping his voice down as well, figuring it was about Six if such was the case. He guessed right.

“I…” Yin paused, choosing his words carefully. The idea of being open and honest with Shikyu was not a pleasant one. “Just because I’m… not worried about angels, doesn’t mean that I wasn’t affected by what happened.” Shikyu’s brows knitted slightly.

“I never said otherwise--”

“Shut up. Let me finish,” Yin snapped in a whisper, shutting Shikyu up quite quickly. “I just--when… when he jumped in front of me to block your punch, it… it killed me, man. It hurt anyway. Because he’s like that. He’s a damn idiot, like that.”

Shikyu was quiet for a few moments, looking at his half-eaten peppermint cake, and took another small bite before wrapping up the rest and pocketing it for later. “Yeah, I agree with you there,” Shikyu murmured. “He’s reckless when it comes to people he loves. And he loves everyone in the group…” He trailed off, looking up at Yin with a serious expression that Yin was not used to from the frog demon. “And you… Damn if anyone hurts you without him breaking their neck.”

Yin blinked at that, a kind of shiver going down his spine at the demon’s words. “I-it wasn’t my fault that he almost died… was it?” he suddenly asked, his throat feeling tight. Shikyu blinked, then glanced at the sky, thinking back.

“That’s a hard question, Yin,” Shikyu said softly. “I don’t think so. I really don’t think so.” Yin tried not to be angry at the vague answer. But he felt a soft rage bubble up inside of him. He needed an answer. He needed proper reassurance. He gnawed at the candy cane instead, hurting his teeth as he did. “Sorry—I’ll explain. He’s just… softer, than he used to be. I don’t think his senses are any worse, reaction time still seems pretty good, but… he cares more, so he gets hurt more, you know?”

“That’s stupid. I hate that,” Yin growled softly, but it sounded more pained than angry, now.

“It doesn’t mean he doesn’t want you around. We all want you around, man. We do. I know things were weird at first with the other members, but… you’re a part of the family, now.” Yin raised his eyes up to stare at Shikyu, who looked about as earnest as anything Yin had ever seen. Maybe those two really were brothers. They had a similar look in their eyes when they were telling the pure truth. His eyes flicked back over to Six, whose back was to them, ordering roasted chestnuts and smiling as though he hadn’t almost died a few months prior. Hell, the tattering of his wings had even stricken him blind for a month and a half.

“Weird family,” Yin murmured out, his voice a little rough. There was happiness there, chasing the tails of the anger and sadness in his chest.

“Yup,” Shikyu nodded in agreement, folding his arms over his chest and smirking slightly. “Pretty damn weird.”

[The Roasted Chestnut Stand - 18]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/26/2017 2:27 AM

“Come on, silly slowpoke! At your rate, the festivities will be done before we even get there!”

Humming quietly in response, Damien merely let himself be dragged forward, hanging off of Curios’ arm like an old ragdoll. He was quite used to it, really, considering how long they’d been together. He enjoyed whatever made her happy, and most of the time, that was flittering about at places like this. She was far more the social butterfly than he was, and he was content to sit back and observe as she went from metaphorical flower to, well, actual flower, sometimes. If anything, he felt that some of his best works had come from watching her, though perhaps, he was biased in that assumption.

The bonfire was roaring ahead of them, a whole host of people milling around it with happy smiles and warm laughter. Curios tugged him right into the thick of it, right up so he could feel the wild heat of the flames against his face. She held both her hands out now and laughed, bright eyes even brighter as they reflected the fire’s dance within them. He smiled.

Yes, he could bear with the cold and the crowds, if only for her.

[1 - Bonfire]

He sleeps alone,
He needs no army where he's headed cause he knows
That they're just ghosts
And they can't hurt him if he can't see them
And I don't know
If in the morning I will be here and if so,
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..