Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

[Quest] [Self] Homecoming

Postby Indigo » 05/31/2017 7:47 PM

Jillian hadn't expected to be so emotional about coming home. After all, it had only been a few months, longer than this had even been home for her in the first place, and it was far less exciting to be at work here than out in the field chasing down Gyrophants to study. And yet when she pulled into the driveway and the blurred shape of the bakery solidified in her vision she found herself suppressing tears. It would be a relief, at least, to get inside and slip into her eyeless Paragon shape and not have to worry about that.

The bakery, she noted as she started up the back stairs, was closed today. Which was puzzling. Willemina had mentioned hiring help during Jillian's absence, which she'd have thought would mean not having to close on grocery day, and it was only about one in the afternoon. She'd have to ask when Willa got back from wherever she was.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Re: [Quest] [Self] Homecoming

Postby Indigo » 05/31/2017 8:02 PM

Jillian unlocked the front door and slung her suitcase into the living room, where it skidded across the floor and bounced off the couch, closed the door behind her and relaxed into Paragon shape. Her confusion over the closure had wiped the other emotions from her mind for the time being, but the shift was a relief anyway. She usually didn't have a strong preference for one shape over the other—each was useful for different things—but she'd spent most of the semester human and by the end it had begun to wear on her, enough that she'd changed a couple times during her study even though it risked scaring off her subjects. No doubt there was already an irritable email in her inbox about it.

She stretched out along the couch, wings spread so they brushed the living room's walls—this place wasn't really designed for someone her size, but there hadn't been much choice in the matter—and nudged the suitcase with her nose. Really she ought to unpack as soon as possible or she'd never do it, but there was something that felt wrong about that. Something about how it felt like assuming to go and put her things in the bedroom like she belonged here, because even if she'd moved in at the end of last semester she'd barely lived here any time at all and Willa wasn't exactly used to her presence. In fact something in her almost believed she'd forgotten—

The door opened. She could still see a little in this form, light and shadow mostly, a little color; but there was only one person it might be so she didn't bother to look. She said, "Hi. Some kind of incident at work? I noticed you had the closed sign up."

"No," Willemina said. Well, her tone said Of course not, but then she always managed to sound like she was saying something you should have already known, whether she meant to or not. "But since you were going to be home today I didn't want to be distracted by anything, and even if I put Scott in charge something always comes up and I have to give disenchanting directions over the phone at the hardware store. It was easier to close."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: [Quest] [Self] Homecoming

Postby Indigo » 05/31/2017 8:37 PM

"Oh," Jillian said, and hoped she didn't sound too surprised. Because then Willa would know exactly what she'd been thinking, she always did, and then everything she did afterward would have shades of guilt to it and neither of them would enjoy any of it. "Well, thank you. ...Scott?"

"I'm sure you'll meet him eventually." The door closed and Willa briefly moved through her field of vision before continuing past. "He's always running up here for something or other. And he's fairly charming when he's not destroying my shop, so I think I'll be keeping him on."

A drawer opened with a jangly metal sound, probably silverware. Jillian was too distracted by Willa's words to even try making sense of it. "I thought one of the reasons I was here—"

"Oh, of course," Willa said, "I can't believe I didn't think of that. No, I know you were going to do some work here, that's still part of the plan, but I thought you might want some time off after everything you've been doing. Relax, settle in a little, since you didn't have time to do that before you left. I suppose you could start work now if you really want to, but I hadn't planned for it."

"Then why am I here?" She hadn't really meant to say that, but there was no taking it back.

There was a pause, a clatter, and then Willa passed in front of her again and nudged her snout with what was probably her own. "Because I want you here." For once it didn't sound like an admonition for not knowing.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate