Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Re: If It's the Last Thing That I Do [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 5:58 PM

More fun... Tenma thought about that for a moment, a bemused, but pleased smile tugging the corners of his mouth. He supposed Grimmer had a point.

In the end they'd ordered a bowl of stew each and some cheese-toasted bread with wurst on the side (the woman at the counter had insisted they take some--Tenma wondered, half self-consciously, if his hoodie was doing a good job of hiding his thin frame), and found a booth near a window in the corner of the cafe. Grimmer faced the door, as had become customary, his eye always out for any sign of trouble. Better to get Tenma out before they saw his face, after all.

Grimmer was pulled out of his thoughts by a pleasurable hum from Tenma's direction, blinking as he watched the man tear off a piece of bread and dip it in the soup to eat. "Is it good?" he asked on a whim, like it needed to be asked, and Tenma smiled as he chewed.

"Best thing I've eaten in days," Tenma swallowed, and laughed, covering his mouth with his fingers to shield his smile. "Try it, Mr. Grimmer!"

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/29/2017 4:43 PM

Grimmer smiled back at Tenma in spite of himself, originally a little slack in the face with awe at how happy Tenma could look. It was rare. Grimmer could've sworn he'd only seen a face like that one other time on the man, since they'd started traveling together. Not that he'd been counting.

He tore off some bread himself and crumpled the bits into his stew, bending his head to eat. When he looked back up, Tenma was looking at him expectantly. "It's very good," Grimmer chuckled, feeling a little trapped by the doctor's intense, but smiling stare. "Very good. It's hard to mess up stew, to be fair."

A soft laugh rumbled out of Tenma, and he bit into a wurst, sighing through his nose as he chewed and averting his eyes to the patterns on the wallpaper. "Very true. Very true..."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/29/2017 5:43 PM

It seemed food and warmth had softened Grimmer's slight standoffish embarrassment over how warm the doctor's presence made his face feel, all so suddenly. Perhaps it had been the instinct to protect, given how exhausted and harrowed Tenma had been lately--Grimmer got the feeling occasionally when his line of work lead him to rescuing children from particularly dangerous situations, in case their abusers thought to hide them before the proper authorities could come to help. This was... decidedly different, but that's how Grimmer chose to rationalize it.

Regardless, the two stood a few inches closer together than before when they decided getting and sharing a piece of cake didn't sound like a bad idea at all, and after a few attempts on both of their behalfs to go and order it so that the other didn't have to get up, the finally decided to just go together.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/29/2017 6:02 PM

"Too cold for ice cream," Tenma mused aloud, his arms folded over his chest as he surveyed the menu.

"Shame," Grimmer sighed, and Tenma eyed him with an amused smile.

"We can still get it if you're that disappointed," the doctor teased slightly, and Grimmer nudged him in the arm gently with a laugh and a shake of his head. "Alright... I'm on a warm kick. How does that apple strudel sound?" he suggested, and Grimmer's eyes lit up slightly.

"It comes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side, for an extra eighty pfennigs..." he mumbled, and Tenma's expression softened, his hand instinctively coming to pat Grimmer lightly on the upper back with a laugh.

"Alright, you're set on that ice cream. It's perfect, then. Excuse me, we'll take one of those apple strudel orders with the ice cream. Yes, thank you..."

Grimmer watched Tenma shell out the money, and he felt a warmth glow in his chest, stronger than before. As they sat back down to eat the rare, appreciated treat, Grimmer decided maybe it was alright for the glow to stay there. It wasn't doing anyone any harm, anyway.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/29/2017 6:55 PM

They moved back towards their table ("their" table--how interesting that it now had that label in Tenma's head, in this town barely on the map, that they'd never visited before) and sat down, strudel between them. One spoon. Oops.

"I'll go back and get another," Grimmer said, upon realization, pushing himself up to do so, but Tenma held up a hand.

"No, no--it's fine, really. There's a line, and it's crowded up there. I don't mind if you just take the dessert," the doctor said, clearly not wanting Grimmer to waste effort on his behalf. Surely that was it, Grimmer thought, slowly sitting back down.

"Well, as soon as the line thins, I'm going," Grimmer stated matter-of-factly, but as it stood, the line had been fairly steady since they'd gotten there, even if the whole cafe was quite a bit less scarily crowded than the rest of the square's shops and restaurants. Tenma smiled at that, watching the man break off the corner of the strudel and scoop a little of the melting ice cream, content just to observe for a few moments, and then glance out the window.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/29/2017 7:26 PM

"Oh, my god," Grimmer exclaimed, his eyes widening, drawing Tenma's attention back over to him. "This is delicious. This is so delicious... Dr. Tenma, you really have to..." Grimmer trailed off, glancing at the crowd, then finally looked back at Tenma and offered the spoon, a sheepish smile to his face. "I'm not sick or anything," he chuckled, and Tenma took the spoon with a smile, nodding his head.

After sharing blankets, combs, and even a toothbrush on one occasion, this was hardly much of a difference. Tenma guided a bite (sans ice cream, he wasn't terribly fond of the stuff and his head still felt chilly from the damp hair) into his mouth. He sank back in his chair, tipping his head back with a heavy, internal sigh. "Okay," he laughed, nodding his head. "Okay, thank you, I needed that."

Grimmer's stomach twisted in happiness, not sure how to express it on his face. "Eat as much as you want," he hurriedly said, holding his hands up when Tenma tried to pass the spoon back. Tenma blinked, then eyed Grimmer curiously, seeming to decide something in his head as he nodded and chipped off another bite.

This time, it had ice cream on it.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/29/2017 7:41 PM

Grimmer didn't have the thought to question it until Tenma was raising up the bite of dessert to the space between them, spoon's bowl-end pointed towards Grimmer wordlessly. Grimmer's brows raised, eyes traveling from the little hill of sweet to Tenma's face, his heart thumping in his chest.

Well... alright, then. He supposed it wasn't a problem.

Grimmer's hand moved up to almost take the spoon from Tenma, instead deciding almost on its own to rest halfway on the metal utensil, halfway against Tenma's fingers. He bent his head forward to take the bite from the spoon, and retreated with a little noise of urgency. He cut his eyes to the side, blinking at the woman watching them with a question written on her face.

He swallowed thickly, looking back over at Tenma with about as sheepish a look as was possible on a human being. Tenma simply smiled, wincing internally at his own cruelty (was it really cruelty to tease someone so gently? Probably, especially someone like Grimmer) and set the spoon down between them so that Grimmer could take it again if he wished. "Sorry," Tenma murmured, dipping his head, and was met with a chorus of softly whispered 'No, no, no's from Grimmer's direction, and an 'It's fine.'

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/29/2017 7:57 PM

After that initial interaction, the rest of the meal was eaten in a first tense, then increasingly comfortable silence, the spoon passing between them until there was nothing but melted ice cream left, and Grimmer urged Tenma to at least try some of it, and he did, and confirmed that yes, indeed, he was not fond of it. Grimmer sighed and conceded, smiling at Tenma like he was the biggest mystery in the world for not liking vanilla ice cream. Tenma supposed that wasn't a bad way for Grimmer to look at him.

What?

Tenma shook his head to clear it slightly as they made their way out of the cafe, running hands through his stiffening, still-damp hair to try to comb away the foggy intrusive (albeit not awful, just unthinkable) thoughts. Of course they were all harmless, but completely inappropriate for someone who was his travel companion, and who had many problems of his own... Tenma let out a huff of air, frustrated with himself. It was the town's fault. It was the relaxation, or the threat of it. Since Eva, since their separation, and since all of this had happened, he hadn't even thought about the idea of... well, love. Of romance.

"Woah!" Tenma's eyes shot open at Grimmer's noise, and a microsecond later a pair of teens had slammed squarely into Tenma's left shoulder from behind. Grimmer's arms flung out to catch him before he could stumble over the curb, the two assailants shouting a hurried 'sorry!' before running and disappearing into the crowd. Tenma instinctively clung to Grimmer's arms, eyes wide and startled, bent backwards with his hair hanging down. The chilly air on his nape made him shiver. "Easy, easy now," Grimmer mumbled, his expression fixed in a deep frown as he righted Tenma, staring off into the crowd, his hands not leaving the other man's arms.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/29/2017 8:04 PM

Finally, Grimmer looked back over at Tenma, whose expression seemed a bit unnerved. Grimmer blinked, expression unchanging before he realized something and brought a hand up to the space between his own brows. Ah-- "Sorry, eh... what kind of expression am I making? A scary one?"

"Not... not at all, no, you're fine, Mr. Grimmer," Tenma let out a breath, offering him an automatic smile and shaking his head. He trailed off, realizing honesty was important. "Well, you look quite angry, I'd say."

Grimmer smoothed his fingertips over his own frown lines, which seemed to soften them back into a neutral expression. "Ah, I see... I see. I think... I did feel that. People really should watch where they're going, you know? I think that's a perfectly reasonable thing to want. Well... at least they apologized," he finished, the nearly undetectable edge in his voice fading back to normal.

Tenma couldn't help but smile a real smile at that, nodding his head. "Thank you," he added, stepping away slightly from the other man, just to give him space, and letting go of Grimmer's arms. The other man let go automatically. "For, ah, catching me, I mean. A fall would've been nasty." Grimmer hummed in agreement.

"Don't mention it. That's what I'm here for," he chuckled, giving Tenma's arm a friendly pat before peering out over the crowd. It had gotten dark, with the time they'd spent inside, and the lights were much more beautiful now, glowing away up in the trees and telephone poles. "Where to next?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/02/2018 2:38 AM

Tenma opened his mouth to suggest something, then suddenly was interrupted by a sneeze. Grimmer looked down at him, startled, then patted Tenma's arm again, softer, for good measure. "Maybe we could make our way to the center square. I'd love to see that place where all the lights were most concentrated. I bet it's beautiful..." He trailed off as Grimmer rubbernecked over the crowd, and he smiled. "You're lucky you can already see it, Mr. Grimmer."

"Hm?" Grimmer blinked down at the doctor and smiled sheepishly. "Well, being tall has its perks. I bet I could pick you up on my back." Grimmer kept speaking, quickly, before the hypothetical suggestion could hang in the air too long. "I think they have a few campfires going. Let's go get warm, yeah?"

"Yeah," Tenma murmured, automatically moving to put a hand on Grimmer's shoulder, as they'd done before to get through the crowd. Grimmer hesitated, his face warming slightly, before giving Tenma a reassuring smile and doing the same.

A step off the curb, and they were enveloped by the crowd once more.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/02/2018 3:05 AM

Grimmer had been right; around the temporarily defunct fountain in the center of the square, several small fires had been lit inside a collection of metal basins, and a few folks were still dragging simple benches up to them for people to sit at. Most people seemed to just remain standing, in favor of letting the elderly sit at the benches (and whatever small children didn't have the thought to allow others to sit). Grimmer practically pulled Tenma towards one of the fires, the hand on his shoulder moving to Tenma's back to guide him forward.

"Mr. Grimmer, I-I swear I'm not... that chilly," Tenma laughed, a little breathlessly at Grimmer's herding. A part of him, even so, rather liked it. Grimmer was kind. He took a moment to lean forward and let his hands hover over the fire.

"Well, now you definitely won't be," Grimmer retorted with a gentle smile, giving Tenma a pat on the back before letting his hands slip into his pockets. Time-out. That had been far too much contact for what was probably considered just friendly. Grimmer sighed and angled his head up, staring at the black sky. Too much light down here to see the stars. He supposed it was just as well, given the town was making stars of their own, with those little lights. "Ah, look, doctor!" he exclaimed, nose pointed skyward. Above them, the strings of lights that all converged over the fountain's summit began winking in and out in patterns, creating a little dancing lightshow in the air.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/02/2018 3:13 AM

Tenma tilted his head back to look up at Grimmer, then let his eyes travel upward. They widened slightly at the sight of the lights, his heart fluttering with a brief moment of childlike wonder. "Wow, look at them!" he breathed, watching the cloud of steam from his lips wind up into the sky and disappear. Somewhere, someone started playing accordion.

Grimmer glanced over at a place where a few people had cleared out a space for dancers. He watched people pair up, old and young couples alike, and even two little girls who must have been twins started twirling and spinning around each other, clearly alive with some rhythm far faster than the lazy, romantic tones of the song. "I never did learn to dance," Grimmer heard Tenma's voice, his attention pulled back to the doctor. The shorter man was looking off at the dancers as well. "Not proper, at least."

Grimmer hummed in response, quiet for a few moments, then kept his voice low. "I did," he began, "since it was encouraged... spies need to know such things." The man watched for a few moments longer, then gazed at the embers floating up from the firepit. "To learn it and do it for fun... I wonder what that's like."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/02/2018 3:18 AM

A silence fell over the two, not quite comfortable. Grimmer felt himself slip into old memories, for a moment. He'd danced with many women, when the need arose. He'd never been particularly good at it, and he was certain all of them had noticed. Embarrassment wasn't something he was strongly familiar with--not something he'd been taught to feel. It wasn't helpful. Still... he felt his cheeks warm, sometimes, under the doctor's quiet laughter. So foreign, that feeling.

So why did he have such trouble, such trepidation to get the words out, "I could teach you, sometime," though only halfway--before he could get much of the words out, Tenma suddenly swooned, alarm flashing through Grimmer like lightning. "D-doct--"

"I'm... I just need to sit down, I..." Tenma woozily shifted to sit down on the ground, the freezing cobblestone seeping into his legs and hands where he braced himself.

"Doctor Tenma, are you... sure you're fine?" Grimmer asked, his brows knitted once more, expression intense with worry. Tenma nodded, slowly, but Grimmer wasn't quite convinced.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/02/2018 3:23 AM

Grimmer noticed a slight sheen of sweat on Tenma's brow, and he glanced at the fire. They weren't standing that close... Grimmer crouched down next to Tenma and held up a hand in warning, then placed the backs of his fingers to Tenma's forehead. "Oh," Grimmer whispered, an audible noise of surprise. "You're burning hot."

Tenma's head leaned into Grimmer's touch, slightly, and Grimmer made a quick decision. "We need to get you back to the inn," he murmured, an arm going around Tenma's back, his other hand bracing the doctor's shoulder. "Can you stand?"

"Y...yeah, of course I..." Tenma slowly started to push himself up, when all at once his body was wracked with a shudder, a hand flying to cover his mouth as nausea overtook him. A curse slipped out, and Grimmer's eyes went wide with alarm.

Moving slowly, but with purpose, Grimmer carefully looped one of Tenma's arms around his shoulders, and used this small edge of adrenaline to pull the both of them to their feet. "We're gonna walk, okay?" he whispered, his face close to the side of Tenma's head. Even from a few inches away, Grimmer could feel the heat coming off of the other man. Shoot. Shoot this wasn't good.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/02/2018 3:34 AM

It was slow work, but eventually Grimmer half guided, half dragged Tenma back to the inn--thankfully, the crowd had parted well enough upon seeing the pallor of the man that was now basically draped against Grimmer's back. Whether out of compassion, or not wanting to get sick themselves, Grimmer wasn't sure of.

The air inside was warmer, yes, but Grimmer felt as though it wasn't warm enough. "Come on, just a little more, just a little..." he continued to whisper soft nothings, assurances and encouragement, as he carefully pulled Tenma up the stairs. This... wasn't how he'd expected the evening to go at all. Something like fear creeped up the back of his neck. Grimmer... really had no idea how to care for a sick person. Not at all.

It felt as though an eternity had passed by the time he reached their room. Grimmer winced as he tried to lower Tenma to the bed, but nearly dropped him there instead. "It's good," Tenma mumbled in response to Grimmer's apologies, and managed to pull himself a bit better onto the bed before sinking down against the pillows, forehead slick with sweat and hair damp at the roots. "I'd--if you could... water..."

After a brief moment of comprehension, Grimmer was on it in a flash. He practically ran back over with a cup of water from the sink, cold from the freezing pipes, and watched helpelessly as Tenma spilled most of it but managed to at least get some of it into his mouth. "Y-your hands are shaking," Grimmer spoke dumbly, observing what he could. "W-why...? Are they?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext