Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Re: If It's the Last Thing That I Do [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 4:35 AM

Grimmer felt Tenma tense in his arms, could hear the protest even before it came. "You were married," Tenma choked out softly, a hand coming up to press against his mouth, as if it would filter what came out and bar himself from listening to Grimmer's request. "You don't--you don't like men."

"That's not the point," Grimmer said suddenly in retort, his hands steady on Tenma's back. His thumb shifted, running once over the bump of Tenma's spine. "That's not the point, doctor. I don't... I don't like anyone, I don't think. But I like you." Grimmer swallowed around the words, his face calmer than he thought it would be.

"You had a child with her, Mr. Grimmer, don't do this to me out of pity," Tenma snapped, slow and unsure, his eyes rimming with moisture as he placed his hands on Grimmer's chest and pushed in some half-formed attempt to escape the man's hold. Grimmer let go, almost immediately, but Tenma stayed, his hands gripping at the other man's shirt. When Tenma lifted his eyes to meet the other's gaze, Grimmer's expression was hollow, lidded, a frown on his features.

"Yes. I did," Grimmer whispered, his hands moving to cover the doctor's smaller ones. "And he's gone. And so is Greta. And now I'm here, and I couldn't possibly have an ounce of pity for you, doctor. You're incredible." Grimmer's voice was calm, the pain in his chest for his son ignited once more by the other man's words, but something else overshadowed it. Something deeper, a deeper ache that was sweeter than anything he'd felt before. "I need you to believe me."

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Re: If It's the Last Thing That I Do [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 4:45 AM

Tenma had fallen silent, his eyes looking somewhere beyond Grimmer, blinking as tears slipped past his eyelids. Grimmer's heart ached, somewhere deep in his chest. He brought his hands from his sides up to touch Tenma's shoulders, then to cup his face on either side. "Tenma," he called, soft, his hands lifting. "Come here."

Tenma didn't let go of Grimmer's shirt when their lips connected. He heard Grimmer's back brush the wall, felt wide, long fingers cradle the back of his head, long strands of black hair slipping through the splayed gaps. He gasped, inhaling breath as tears ran down his face, dripped on Grimmer's ruined shirt. Grimmer's other arm wrapped around his waist in a grounding presence, even when they broke apart, their noses brushing as both men sucked in oxygen, too little of it between them to share. Tenma's mouth moved, as if to speak, before he finally just shook his head a fraction of an angle and leaned in once more.

Soon some old clocktower outside chimed the hour, and that was enough to give them both pause. Grimmer's body was on fire with a feeling he couldn't place, had never experienced and yet it felt so unbelievably right, and strange, and perfect that he wanted desperately to know a name for it. Tenma's breathing was labored as he leaned back, lips swollen and soft from Grimmer's mouth. Grimmer's hand trailed down the doctor's hair, his tongue running over his lips, and finally, a breathy chuckle escaped Grimmer. "We are both... just a bit drunk, doctor. And I think I'm very glad for that."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Re: If It's the Last Thing That I Do [Self; L/S/B]

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 6:22 PM

Tenma felt a laugh escape him, his shoulders shaking slightly with the movement of it against Grimmer's arms. He brought the back of his hand up to his own mouth, as if hiding it in modesty, then cleared his throat and smoothed out Grimmer's shirt. "You should get out of this," he murmured, patting it, then looked up and blinked in surprise when Grimmer drew in a sharp breath. "Oh--" he began, staring at Grimmer's red face, then flushed himself. "No! Oh, goodness, I meant the wine, Mr. Grimmer. You should change clothes."

Grimmer's expression lit up with embarrassed happiness at Tenma's sheepishness, and on a whim he brought his hands up to Tenma's face to cup it once more. "You should be careful with your words, then, doctor," he murmured, his chest warming then Tenma leaned his head to the side, his cheek resting on Grimmer's palm. Grimmer exhaled, soft, realizing there were a few tear-streaks on the other man's face, damp against his thumb when he brushed it over Tenma's cheek. "After I change, do you think... we could have that talk you mentioned, on the stairs?"

Tenma blinked, his smile fading into something more serious, but not quite as serious as he could be. Grimmer wished, somewhat, that they were both a little more sober, but it couldn't be helped. "Of course," Tenma murmured, stepping backwards as Grimmer released his face, watching the other man grab some clothes from the duffle bag and disappear into bathroom.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 6:29 PM

Tenma finally loosened his tie altogether and rolled it up, taking a moment to change out in the main room (once he'd drawn the curtains on the window, that is). Already having changed into some more comfortable sweatpants, he was in the process of unbuttoning his dress shirt when Grimmer walked back in. The lanky man looked a bit more at ease in a beige sweater and jeans--a bit more like himself. Regardless of the fact, Tenma's heart kicked up speed in his chest.

Grimmer paused when he noticed Tenma, and he took a step back towards the bathroom. "If you need privacy, I could--"

"No, it's... it's fine. I'll be quick," Tenma murmured, thankful for his swath of hair to hide most of the flush on his face as he bent his head to focus on the buttons. Finally he shrugged it off, nothing but a thin undershirt beneath it, and pulled on a baggy hoodie that he'd grown to like quite a lot for sleeping purposes. He stole a glance back over to Grimmer, but the man had turned his attention to the clock, a sure-fire sign that he was embarrassed to look. Tenma tried to fight off the twinge of disappointment in his chest. Honestly, after what had just happened, he didn't want to expect anything from the other man; Grimmer had already allowed Tenma to do what the doctor had originally thought impossible.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 6:35 PM

Finally dressed in something far less fancy and uptight, Tenma shuffled over to his side of the bed (his side, as opposed to Grimmer's side--what a notion), pressing his back against the cool wall and patting the other side of the bed. Grimmer picked his way over as if the floor were full of tacks, delicate and careful, as if he was somehow unwelcome. Tenma was beginning to feel the effects of the alcohol fading, his head clearing up and replacing with a soft headache. It wasn't all unpleasant, in some ways.

Grimmer, who had drank less than the doctor, was looking a bit more lucid. More than that, he was looking a bit embarrassed, like he was running over the past half hour's events over and over in his brain, searching for a place he might've messed up. If Tenma allowed himself to assume so, that is. The bed shifted with Grimmer's weight as the man sat down, then finally swung his legs up to lie back on his back. Tenma hummed in sympathy when Grimmer's spine popped, and the other man put on a grin in response. "After knocking that glass over, I think I got too tense," he chuckled.

"Mm. Tense for other reasons, too, perhaps," Tenma said offhandedly with a smile, then winced at himself for saying such things. Already, Grimmer's grin was gone, replaced with a tinge of red, bright against grey-blue eyes. "Um... the stairs," Tenma began slowly, then decided it might be best to lie on his back as well. Grimmer didn't seem to do very well at talking when Tenma's eyes were right on him. In hindsight Tenma wondered if it was just Grimmer's nature, or if it was Tenma's fault.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 7:31 PM

Grimmer hummed in response, closing his eyes for a moment to recall the conversation. "Right," he began, licking his lips in thought (they still tingled from before, but he tried not to think too hard about it right then). His expression tightened as his eyes flickered, searching the ceiling for a way to start.

Tenma was quiet for a few moments, then slowly moved his hand to touch Grimmer's arm. "Take your time," he said, softly. Grimmer nodded, and after a moment of hesitation he shifted his hand to find Tenma's, grasping it firmer when Tenma responded with a grip. He felt as though he could lie there in silence for quite some time, grounded by the other man's touch.

"I guess... first, I want to explain why I was so... concerned, I suppose, you said it was?" Grimmer began, and continued when Tenma squeezed his hand with an affirmative hum. "Other than the obvious... you know, that you were sick and all... I suppose I was thinking about my son."

Grimmer paused, waiting for a squeeze on his hand, but none came. He looked over at Tenma, who was staring up at the ceiling, his expression looking like he was making a few assumptions, a few connections.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/29/2018 7:38 PM

Grimmer decided to continue, on his own. "I told you what happened--how he just... died, suddenly, when I was left alone with him. He was on his stomach. I didn't learn until later that such a thing could cause death in an infant. It was... too late, by then."

Now, Tenma shifted, onto his side, both hands coming to grasp Grimmer's hand. "Mr. Grimmer, you shouldn't blame yourself for--"

"That's not the point, doctor," Grimmer murmured for the second (third?) time that night, his brows furrowing as he scanned the ceiling. "I... don't think I was ever taught how to take care of someone who's sick, or in trouble. I'm... I'm afraid of not being able to take care of someone due to my own ignorance." He was silent for a moment, then took a deeper breath. "Back then, I couldn't bring myself to cry, even when my son died. Greta called me inhuman. I don't know why I couldn't find the right face. But now..."

Tenma's heart ached for the man beside him, ached even more than the first time he'd heard the story, albeit a more truncated version than this. After months of traveling with Grimmer, despite the man's quirks about not quite knowing the right expression or feeling to use, Tenma had started to grow used to explaining certain situations if needed--and had also grown used to Grimmer's warmth, his kindness. Was it truly all a learned act...? "But now?" he echoed Grimmer, once the other man had fallen silent.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/01/2018 4:03 AM

Finally, Grimmer's frown lines seemed to soften, his eyes lidding as his fingers shifted on Tenma's. "But now, I'm not so sure what I'm feeling. I... I think I truly was very, very worried about you, doctor," he murmured. Tenma's own heart surprised him--instead of the clench of defiance he felt whenever someone expressed concern over his wellbeing, it shuddered with warmth. His fingers squeezed Grimmer's hand, tighter, reassuring.

"I'm glad you were there to help me," Tenma murmured. "It... it would've been much, much harder, on my own. I wouldn't have picked anyone else to have been here with me, right then." Grimmer blinked at that, looking over at Tenma with raised brows.

"Not even another doctor?" Grimmer asked, shifting to turn onto his side and face the other man head-on. Tenma's eyes lit up slightly at the humorous smile on Grimmer's face.

"Oh, certainly not. Doctors can be so insufferable, you know," Tenma joked, grinning, and Grimmer sighed, shaking his head with a good-natured smile on his face.

"Doctor..."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/01/2018 4:07 AM

Tenma's laughter faded after a moment, his expression softening into something more serious. "Mm. Another thing, Mr. Grimmer," he murmured softly. His eyes flicked down to their hands, joined steadily, a grounding feeling, and took a breath to steady the rest of him. "I'd... prefer... if you not call me 'doctor,' anymore."

Grimmer's expression shifted, and he opened his mouth to protest, but Tenma stopped him with words. "I--I told you, before. I killed someone."

"In self defense, you said," Grimmer began, and Tenma nodded, but his expression remained fixed.

"Regardless... I can't have that title in good conscience, anymore. Please... respect my wishes, Mr. Grimmer."

Grimmer stared at the other man, at the hard crease between his brows. Slowly, allowing his hand to move on its own, Grimmer brought his free hand up to lightly press his thumb to the crease and smooth over one of Tenma's brows. Tenma's expression slackened, startled by the touch, but not at all displeased with it. "Alright," Grimmer finally said, offering the other man a smile. "In that case, please call me Wolfgang."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/01/2018 4:11 AM

Tenma's brows raised in surprise, an incredulous look on his face. "If... you're certain?" he murmured, and Grimmer smiled, nodding his head.

"You can't say it's too informal. Not after what we did a few minutes ago," Grimmer mused, and Tenma's face flushed red all over again. He'd just started to feel less embarrassed about the whole thing, too.

"Mr. Gri--ahh... W-Wolfgang, I... I know that was... incredibly sudden. And forward of me," Tenma began, bringing his free hand up to gently grasp the one at his temple and move it away, to join their tangle of hands between them. "And I'm completely in agreement if you'd rather we forget all about it and never speak of it again."

At Grimmer's silence, Tenma continued, hesitant. "On... the off-chance that you'd prefer we... talk over it, well... I'd like that very much."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/08/2018 4:35 AM

Grimmer's mouth thinned in thought over the doctor's options, heat creeping up his neck as he recalled the encounter. "Well... I feel like I'm gonna have a hard time forgetting about it," he answered truthfully, face too warm to bring himself to look over at the other man. "So we might have to go with that second choice, doc--mm... T-tenma," he finished, a sheepish smirk tugging his mouth.

Tenma's expression softened, and after a long period of thought, he licked his lips and met Grimmer's eyes. "Kenzo," he offered, soft, the name almost sticking in his throat as he whispered it. He cleared it, and spoke a bit louder. "It's... it's new, I know, but... you can call me Kenzo, if you like."

Grimmer's eyes widened a fraction of a bit--the cultural significance behind calling Tenma by a first-name-basis was not lost on him. "I'm... I'm a bit dense, when it comes to these things. Actually, that's being generous," Grimmer murmured, and after a moment he pushed himself into a sitting position with a grunt, his legs criss-crossing in front of him as he stared at the door to the outside hall. "What is it that you... feel about me, Kenzo?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/24/2018 3:58 AM

Tenma's eyes widened a fraction of an inch, drawing in a deep breath and pushing himself up to prop on his elbow. He stared at Grimmer's profile, tracing it with his eyes, his heart constricting anxiously in his chest. "My feelings for you... shouldn't worry you. They're..."

"But you do have them, then. Feelings... for me?" Grimmer's voice was soft, like something timid, something hidden. He dared a look in Tenma's direction, meeting the man's dark eyes with his own light ones. "Kenzo...?"

Tenma's lips gaped slightly, staring at the other man with red in his cheeks. "Yes," he breathed out, finally, nodding and sinking down ever so slightly, as if to avoid the other man's gaze. "And should they bother you, I can forget them entirely, I assure you."

Grimmer stared for a long moment, words caught in his throat. For a moment, he wasn't sure how to react, wasn't sure what to do, because his heart was beating in his chest, far too quickly, far too hard. He brought a hand to it, holding it there with a look of grim alarm on his face. Finally, he found his voice. "You're... aware that I don't love... like others do," he began. The soft, barely-there ache in his voice made Tenma look up. He stared at Grimmer's face, taught with some emotion begging to get out.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/24/2018 4:03 AM

Tenma, for a brief blessed moment, considered the facts. He had his own beliefs about it--but if what Grimmer had told him, had shown him, was true, then Tenma's heart was attempting to love a man who could not love back. Not in the truest sense of the word--he'd seen perfectly well that Grimmer cared for him, cared for others with a fierceness that set an awe in Tenma's eyes. He'd seen kind smiles, and warm hands, a strong arm around Tenma's shoulders when the night terrors woke him.

He knew Grimmer had them, too. Tenma wanted to prove Grimmer wrong, to show him that it wasn't possible to destroy a human being's emotions. That they were just buried, somewhere. Tenma winced at his own naivety.

"And yet," Grimmer's rough voice broke through his thoughts, making him twitch ever so slightly back to attention. Tenma looked up, eyes widening at the urgency on Grimmer's face, clutching at his shirt tight in long fingers. After a moment of hesitation, he reached out, took Tenma's hand and bent lower to press Tenma's palm to the soft sweater fabric of Grimmer's chest. It hammered, fluttered like a bird in a cage against Tenma's fingers. "It's... not stopping."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/24/2018 4:10 AM

Tenma's expression flickered, dared himself look up into Grimmer's eyes as his fingers curled against the other man's chest. "It's not," Tenma whispered, as if it needed confirming. He felt an emotion come over him that he could not place, nor explain, though it coated his voice in something fragile. "M-Mr. Grimmer, you don't need to--"

"Tenma," Grimmer murmured firmly, a softness filling his eyes as he used the more familiar name. Tenma allowed himself to let go of the indulgence of hearing his first name on the other man's tongue--this was more solid. This name was more real to him, somehow. "If what you say about your feelings are true, I... I believe that I might feel the same way. And whether or not that's true... I want to try."

Tenma blinked, eyes bleary with emotion. "Whether or not it's... 'true'?" he whispered, needing clarification, even as Grimmer's large hand covered his own and threaded fingers into the spaces between his.

"I've never felt it before," Grimmer answered factually. Unconsciously, he'd lowered closer, closer, until he finally sank down on his elbow, more level with Tenma's reclined figure, their hands a tangle between them. Tenma looked like his worldview had been altered, his expression blank with Grimmer's admission. Somehow, Grimmer felt a twinge of satisfaction that he'd successfully baffled the doctor--but he also knew he should crave a response, an indication that he'd done right, that he'd done alright even. But somehow, he didn't feel as though he needed it. "I want to try," he repeated himself. And brought their hands to his lips.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/24/2018 4:23 AM

Tenma's mind, blown wide, re-centered on the now. He took in a shuddering breath, startled, when he felt warmth and Grimmer's lips, startlingly chapped (perhaps everything felt smoother when drunk), against the backs of his fingers. Rapidly blinking away a sudden dampness in his eyes, Tenma released the breath of air and brought a hand to his face, shielding his eyes for a moment as he got his bearings.

Grimmer watched him, quiet, observant from over the bumps of their knuckles. After a long moment of silence, Grimmer was the one to speak first. "Do you want to... try, Tenma? To... to ah... well, 'see each other'?"

The only sound that came out of Tenma was a little hiccuping laugh, like something Grimmer had never heard come out of the man. "D-did I misinterpret what you were saying?" Grimmer asked suddenly, a tiny edge of anxiety in his voice. Tenma shook his head hurriedly, removing the hand from his teary eyes to beam at Grimmer.

"No--no, not at all. Y-you're perfect," he laughed, breathless, voice cracking. "I... just found it... r-rather funny. And sweet. We, ah... we already 'see each other,' every day in fact. I understand what you meant, but... yes. Yes," he finally whispered, using their combined hands to gently pull himself closer, detangling their fingers to open an arm in a hug--it wasn't out of the question. Something familiar. "Yes, I want to try, I want to very much, Mr. Grimmer."

Grimmer stared for a split second before gathering the doctor into his arms, engulfing the smaller man in a tight, all-encompassing hug. Grimmer felt a strange, bubbling energy in the pit of his chest, something that urged him to hold tighter, to breathe deeper against Tenma's mess of black hair. He welcomed it. He welcomed the unknowable feeling stronger than anything he'd ever felt before.

Eventually, they would untangle themselves from each other, and brush their teeth in the mirror standing side by side. Night blanketed the small town in a pale moonlight, and Tenma's feet were cold against Grimmer's ankles beneath the covers. He welcomed that, too, perhaps even more so.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext