Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

The Lakuhndra Physician (Closed)

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/15/2008 11:52 PM

[center]Image

A young woman Kneeled down on the cobblestone street, smiling gently at a young girl who was sniffling pathetically. The girl held up her knee, and the woman inspected it closely, her keen eyes taking in the details of the wound with pinpoint accuracy. "It's just a little scratch," she confirmed, her eyes curling and closing when she smiled. The little girl sniffled once more, holding a fist up to her face, and trying valiantly not to cry. "Don't worry,"the woman soothed, her voice a gentle caress, like a mother speaking to her daughter. She reached into an old brown messenger bag that hung from her shoulder, digging through it until she produced a small white roll of bandage material. "I'll have that fixed up in no time."

Carefully, she unwound a bit of the bandage, and placed it on her own bent knee. Then she took a small bottle of ointment from the bag, and opened it carefully. It smelled sweet, but there was a distinct medical tinge to it. She dipped her finger in, and smoothed a bit of the white cream on the child's injury. Closing the lid, she then proceeded to wrap the bandage around her knee, careful not to jar or bump her and inflame the large scratch mark. "There,"she murmured, tying a knot to secure the bandage. "All better, see?"She smiled kindly, and the child's face brightened. An older woman bustled over, having seen the whole thing, and gently took the young girl by the arm. The doctor stood up, a small smile on her face.

The older woman dipped her head. "Thank you, doctor,"she chattered gratefully. "You're always just what we need when one of us gets hurt."She dug into her pocket, looking for money, but the first woman stopped her. "No need, ma'am," she crooned. "I don't accept payment for my services. I am always happy to help."She put her hands on her knees, bending down so she was at eye level with the girl. She ruffled her hair fondly. "Now, you play nice, little one. And make sure you tell that Tommy to keep away from you, or he'll have Bast on his tail, got it?"She gave her a mock fierce look, pretending to growl, before dissolving into a short bout of laughter along with the child. The mother chuckled gently, and the two wandered away, presumably back home for some rest.

Bast wiped her brow with the back of her hand. It'd been a long day. It seemed like the residents were always getting hurt around here. First, there was that carpenter who nailed his finger to a door. Then the grocery store clerk who threw out his back lifting a heavy box. Then there was an elderly woman, who was complaining of her arthritis. She placed a finger against her chin. Oh, and then there was that little boy down the way who had stayed out during a spell of rain and caught a cold. Then there was that boy who had fallen out of a tree and broken his arm, and now the little girl who had been pushed and fallen and scraped her knee. Bastet sighed. It had been a long day. The young Lakuhndra woman began down the street, waving at passerby as she went. She was well known here, and well liked.

Her twin tails waved lazily behind her, one tipped with pink, the other with a soft, muted teal. Her fur on her tails and ears was a light, almost orange brown. Her two ears swiveled on top of her head, picking up the 'hellos' and 'goodbyes' from each of the townsfolk. She smiled, and her muted teal eyes drifted along the path in front of her. Her purple wings fluttered on her back, the bat-like looks an unusual contrast to the color combination she adorned. Her trusty messenger bag hung at her side, filled to the brim with ointments, salves, pills, remedies, bandages and all kinds of surgical instruments to deal with her day to day physician activity. She had on a black undershirt, with sleeves that extended just barely over the tips of her shoulders. Her vest was the same orange brown as her fur, with three buckles at the bottom to secure it, and pink and teal trimmed fur lining the top.

Her pants were black, with buckles on the side of them, and her shoes, looking more like slip on vans with teal and pink stripes than tennis shoes, covered her feet well. Her hair was cropped very short in the back and long in the front, bangs swept to the side, and the two burnt orange strips hung down in front of her face; one tipped in pink, the other in the same muted teal. All in all, she was a very pretty young woman. Glancing down at her wrist, she noticed that her watch had stopped working. Shaking her hand, she sighed. "Darn thing. I can fix people, but I can't fix machines," she muttered, tapping the glass on the watch gently. Throwing up her hands in agitation, she continued down the street, wondering what would happen next.[/center]

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby robopup24 » 02/16/2008 6:50 PM

ImageImage
(OOC: *Randomly throws in people in serious pain at Bastet* X3)

A huge explosion sounded through the town, yet no trace of an explosion was shown on the ground. The only sign of one was scentless white smoke, drifting into the sky.

In front of the Lakundra was a strange girl, her clothes and toy free of any form of grim and dirt. Her strange scarlet eyes imploringly looked at the Lakundra, begging for help. Leaning on her shoulder was a boy, his breathing ragged and shallow. She had tempoarily kept the pain away, but it had caught up to him at last.

The boy obviously needed help. Would the Lakundra help them?

Something was wrong with the boy's heart. It was slowing down, each hearbeat sending spams of pain through him...

Can I die? Can I die?
I'm just waiting 'til I die
Never dreamed a single dream so kind in my entire life
No one knew, even cared for this fleeting fairy tail
Then it slipped into seething sun and soon it sailed away...

robopup24
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 446
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/16/2008 7:08 PM

The Lakuhndra woman nearly lost her balance as the explosion shook her to the very core. She steadied herself, hands wobbling out in front of her. What on earth was that? Her eyes widened at the plume of ivory smoke wafting into the sky, and before she could blink, there were two figures in front of her. One was a very odd girl, her clothes, skin and hair completely white, devoid of any color at all. The only thing that stood out about her was her eyes, a rich, deep, vibrant red. Those scarlet eyes looked at her imploringly, and Bastet had no idea why. She looked confused, before her gaze traveled to the boy, and she gasped in shock, her tails standing straight up, ears back, and wings fluttering in panic.

Rushing forward, she immediately took the boy from the girl's grasp. This wasn't just a routine medical procedure; there was something truly, and life-threateningly wrong. Carefully, she laid the boy flat against the ground, not caring that she was still in the middle of the street. Her practiced hands went to work, and she picked up his wrist, feeling for a pulse. His breathing was shallow, and she placed a hand just above his mouth to see how fast his breathing was. She glanced at the girl. The boy's pulse was slow, unsteady, and failing. It was very clear that... "There's something wrong with his heart,"she said slowly, making sure the girl could understand.  

The boy was clearly in pain, and each heartbeat only made it worse. Carefully, she pulled out a sterile syringe, removing the casing it was in, and a small, clear bottle of some sort of liquid with a white top. "Painkiller,"she explained simply, before sticking the needle into the bottle and withdrawing some of the liquid. Carefully, she injected the painkiller, and then felt for a heartbeat. The drug should slow his heart down a bit, and it would also relieve the pain he was feeling, making it possible for her to discern what was wrong. She lifted up one of his eyes, taking out a small flashlight and shining the light into them. "Hm..."She murmured, before her gaze traveled to the girl.

"Have you any idea what may have caused this? Has he been stung by anything, eaten anything strange? Do you know if he has any allergies, or medications that he is taking? Has he experienced a great shock, or a jolt from any type of electric appliance or outlet? Perhaps a great deal of stress? Or does he have a weak heart? It almost seems like he's having some sort of heart failure, possibly a stroke, or an arrhythmia of the heart. But until I know what caused it, I can't help him,"she said, looking imploringly at the girl. It was a good thing she was there, otherwise, Bastet wouldn't know what to do for the poor boy.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby robopup24 » 02/16/2008 7:29 PM

The girl looked startled that the Lakundra was asking her. Without another second to waste, the girl quickly flashed hand signs. Something gripped his heart and squeezed it, almost killing Joseph. I think it did something to the inside of his heart. The girl looked at the ground. The words kept coming though. Can you help him?

The painkiller worked...for now. Joseph's breathing returned to almost the average level, but his heartbeat was steadily slowing down. His mind seemed to have lost control of his body as his form shifted to that of a Fellox's. Wait, what was going on here? Was he a Fellox or a human? Or was he both? This was confusing...

Inside the heart, some strange creature rested in there, its bulk blocking the stream of blood every now and then...

Can I die? Can I die?

robopup24
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/16/2008 7:57 PM

Gripped his heart...Squeezed it...The Lakuhndra looked down at the boy, watching as he shifted back to a Fellox. She was a bit surprised, but she had seen enough strange things in her line of work to know that it was probably commonplace. Gripped his heart...Squeezed it. "It's possible that it did,"she murmured. A foreign body could be damaging the heart. If something squeezed it, then...She place two fingers against his broad neck, reaching under the fur to the soft skin. His heartbeat was slowing down, dangerously slow now.

"If there's something inside of his heart, or it has been damaged, then I will have to operate. I'm not sure if this is the best place to do it."Without a second thought, she shifted into her large, Feline form, and picked up the Fellox, steadying him on her back. He was heavy, bigger than her, and his back legs dragged on the ground. She grunted under the weight, but started steadily forward, hurrying to a small house down the street. As she reached it, she pushed open one of the doors. Inside, it was remarkably similar to a doctor's waiting room. "My Clinic,"she supplied to the girl, still heaving under the weight.

There were a few people in the waiting room, who gasped softly when they saw the Fellox. A man rushed forward to help the Lakuhndra, and the two slipped through the two large double doors at the back of the hospital. They were in a hall, the floors white, the walls a creamy color with green trim. The first door on the right was pushed open, and the two hurried in, settling the Fellox on a large table, made especially for larger patients. The man took a look at the Fellox, then turned, and, bowing to the Lakuhndra, hurried out. This was no place for a common farmer. The Lakuhndra nodded and shifted back to her human form, pulling her messenger back off her shoulder.

She immediately whizzed around the room, not noticing if the girl was there or not. Her feet hardly seemed to touch the ground, and indeed, her wings were flapping lightly, lifting her up and speeding her about the room. She placed a clear mask on the Fellox's snout, turning on the gas that would put him to sleep. She paused, turning towards the door, towards the girl. "Are you okay with this? If I do not operate, he'll die. You know that, don't you?"

((Hehe, sorry for speeding along. Wanted to get him to the hospital...))

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby robopup24 » 02/16/2008 8:20 PM

(OOC: No, it's fine ^ ^)
Mist hurried after the Lakundra, equally worried. Everything seemed like a blur as she ran. Nothing was real anymore. It was all hazy, surreal...

They burst into the Clinic, ignoring the stares of the others. Mist watched Joseph worridly, clutching that strange doll to her chest. "Are you okay with this? If I do not operate, he'll die. You know that, don't you?" Die? Crap. Lita would be depressed at that, and Mist couldn't bear to see her friend like that. She didn't want Joseph to die either...

Try to save him, please. Mist signaled. Don't let him die...

The creature, as if sensing its doom was near, growled and shifted, clogging up the heart further...

Can I die? Can I die?

robopup24
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/16/2008 8:52 PM

The Lakuhndra nodded slowly. "Don't worry,"she crooned. "I won't let him die. I promise."Gently, she steered the girl towards the door. "You'll need to wait outside. This room should remain sterile." She wheeled around, and went straight to work. It seemed the Fellox was already knocked out by the noxious gases flowing through the mask. She hurried over to the sink, washing her hands thoroughly with antibacterial sterilizing soap, and then put on her gloves.

She slipped a mask on over her nose and mouth before hurrying to put on a thin, paper-like shirt that seemed to be on backwards, the ties in the back.  Picking up an electric shaver, she shaved off the fur on the Fellox's chest where she planned to make the cut. Putting it down, she grabbed her scalpel and placed it gently on the bare skin, before making an large incision that would allow her to reach the heart.

The Lakuhndra carefully pulled the tiny creature out of the ventricle of the heart. She made a face beneath her mask. What was this thing? It squirmed like a strange kind of worm, and it looked like nothing she had ever seen before. Carefully, she placed it in a jar, and secured the lid. She'd have to study it further to see what it was exactly, and ask that girl if she had any clue as to what it could be. She turned back to her work, and, taking a needle and the wire thread, began to close up what she had opened.

Bastet sighed as she stitched up the last stitch on the Fellox's open chest. There would probably be a scar, and it'd take some time for the fur to grow back, but once it did, the scar would hardly be visible. She padded over to the sink, and took off her bloodied gloves, washing her hands thoroughly after taking off the rest of her medical garments. She sighed heavily, before heading back over to the Fellox.

She checked his pulse. It was almost normal now. Placing a mask that would pump oxygen into his system, she hooked him up to a heart monitoring system, carefuly placing the needle beneath the skin on his shaved paw for an IV drip (She had shaved it just before she finished, anticipating just such a thing). It dripped steadily down from the bag of fluids to the thin tube connecting it to the Fellox. The heart monitor beeped slowly, but was picking up it's pace as time progressed.

He'd be back to normal in no time. Turning, she grabbed the jar with the strange thing inside, and headed towards the door. Pushing it open, she quickly found the strange girl with her teal orbs, and ambled over to her, looking tired. "All done,"she said gently. "And I took this out of him. I have a feeling you might know what it is. Care to enlighten me?"she asked, holding up the jar and raising an eyebrow.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby robopup24 » 02/17/2008 3:12 PM

Mist stared at the strange worm thing, her face void of emotion. Slowly, she shook her head. It looks like a worm to me. Mist signaled. I do not know how it got there. She peered closer at the worm. It gave an angry hiss at her and slammed itself at the glass. I thought you would know. Mist looked a bit depressed. Is Joseph all right now?

The Fellox slightly stirred in his sleep, dreaming strange dreams (or were they memories?). He muttered a few words and rolled over. Strange, Joseph didn't seem to have any shackles on him...

Can I die? Can I die?

robopup24
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/17/2008 6:20 PM

The Lakuhndra woman shook her head. "No, I really have no idea what it could be. It's some kind of weird...Organism. I've never seen anything like this at all." She glanced over her shoulder through the small window in the door at the Fellox, noticing him stir quietly. As long as he didn't rip that IV out, he'd be fine. "Well, he seems to be fine at the moment. You can go in if you want." She turned a bit, holding open the door while examining the strange worm-like creature in the jar.

It was struggling to free itself, but she knew that wouldn't happen anytime soon. It kept slamming against the sides of the jar. "Oi,"she muttered. "Chill, little worm. You'll kill yourself at the rate your going at. And I'd really like to dissect you alive."She grinned evilly, and the worm shriveled under her stare. Of course, she was lying. As a doctor, she would never do that. Not to anyone or anything. But the worm didn't know that.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby robopup24 » 02/17/2008 6:35 PM

Mist managed to grin at that. Thank you. She politely signaled. The worm angrily glanced at her but was still cowed by the Lakundra's stare. It flinched away, curling up into a little ball.

Mist walked into the room, watching Joseph cautiously. He was peacefully sleeping, his face almost childlike and innocent. She sat next to him, waiting for him to wake up.

Can I die? Can I die?

robopup24
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/17/2008 6:42 PM

The Lakuhndra followed the girl inside, and, glaring a the worm, set him in the sink, where he had no hope of pushing the jar off a shelf to break it. There was no way he'd get out. She smiled darkly, before padding over to Joseph to check his vitals. His heartbeat was stable, and beating at the correct pace. His vitals were all normal, but he still needed those fluids. She glanced down, using the same flashlight she had used before to open one of his eyes and check his pupils.

"He's fine," she assured the girl. "Probably just sleeping. I don't think it'd hurt to wake him up, just so he knows your here and what happened to him." She glanced at him once more. Wait...There was something different about him. Didn't all Fellox have shackles on their feet? Where were his? Tilting her head, she wondered  why he was so different.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby robopup24 » 02/17/2008 7:02 PM

Mist noticed the Lakundra's look at Joseph's paws. Yes, she found it a bit odd too when she first met him, but understood when Lita explained the whole story. Are you wondering-? Her hands dropped when Joseph suddenly shifted back to his human form, his conscience returning.

"What...happened?" Joseph's voice was unusually faint as he struggled to sit up.

She saved you. Mist signaled. She gestured at the Lakundra.

Can I die? Can I die?

robopup24
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/17/2008 7:15 PM

The Lakuhndra woman was about to ask what the girl was going to say, but the Fellox shifted and turned back into a boy. She turned her gaze to him, smiling gently. The only people who ever got to see her soft side were her patients. "Feeling all right there?"she asked, glancing at the IV. "Try not to move around too much. You've had a tough time."

She  placed a hand on his shoulder. "But you'll be fine now."Glancing at both the girl and the boy, she tilted her head, wings giving a little flutter. "By the way, I don't think I got your names. My name is Bastet, but the townsfolk call me Bast. What might I call you two?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby robopup24 » 02/17/2008 7:44 PM

"Joseph." He tried to hide his pain now as he forced himself to sit up straight. "And...that's Mist. That's what we call her, at least. She can't talk." Or won't. That was left unsaid. "Thank you, Bastet." Joseph muttered. Most of the pain had died away, but some part of it lurked, ready to strike at random intervals.

We are very thankful. Mist signaled.

Can I die? Can I die?

robopup24
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/17/2008 8:08 PM

Bastet smiled. "Nice to meet you Joseph, Mist. It's a good thing I ran into you when I did, otherwise, we wouldn't be talking right now...You would not have survived in your condition." She smiled, and pulled up a stool, one she often sat on while performing back breaking surgeries. "Well," she quipped, her eyes hardening a bit as she fell into 'doctor mode.'

"Would you mind giving me a little insight into what that was exactly? That thing I pulled out of your heart?" She gestured at Mist, eyes softening at the girl. "She told me something had taken hold of your heart and squeezed." She turned back to the boy. "Anything I should know? Is this a disease? Because if it is, it's very important that I know. I need to warn people about it."

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next