Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Postby Kyrit » 01/20/2008 3:10 AM

Reive did sit down as told, but he wasn't exactly 'resting' per say. He lightly gripped  Oni's hand, looking down at the young boy. At least he was now sitting down and staying down. "Yeah... I know..." he spoke with a small sigh.

He himself was still extremely cold, the snow that had been on him having melted by now and causing his clothes and hair to be slightly damp. "If it meant life for him I'd gladly give mine..." He knew that it probably wouldn't work though, seeing as how it was rather hard to find a compatible heart.
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1625
Donate

Luke [25] lvl

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 01/20/2008 3:22 AM

Luke shook his head, looking at the pager, which had just gone off. He sighed as he read the message.

"Wouldn't work, Reive. You're AB pos - He's O neg. Which explains some of the symptoms if you were giving him any other type of blood. But I don't see that you were. According to the blood tests, he's negative for bacterial AND viral infections, so we're down to genetic and parasitic. So far as I know, the kid's not been doing well for a few days now."

He looked at the chart Reive had left in here before taking him out.

"Presenting with chest pain and arrythmia. Understandable. His heart's a mess. His lungs are mincemeat. What on earth would start eating a child's organs from the inside that isn't a virus, and isn't a bacteria?"

Tapping his lips with a finger, he thought. Then frowned.

"I don't suppose this kid has a parent or guardian? I'm starting to suspect abuse. It would explain all the bruises on his legs and abdomen... On the other hand, so could a lot of other conditions... "
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 424
Donate

Postby Kyrit » 01/20/2008 3:59 AM

"Yeah... Being AB+ really sucks..." Reive spoke, closing his eyes for a few moments. "I can take blood from any blood type... But I can only donate to my own kind of blood type.... As for his blood type, he can give to anyone and yet only receive o-...."

The memorial kuhna sighed and shook his head. It just wasn't fair that they were so different extremes in the case of their blood types. "As for parent or guardian, I have no clue... Darian and Rukaj were the two that brought him in actually, so I have no clue to a lot of things..."
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Donate

Luke [26]

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 01/20/2008 12:19 PM

"That doesn't help a whole hell of a lot..." sighed Luke, watching the child again. "He doesn't look like he's going to make it, Reive. There's more working on the OUTSIDE of him, than inside, to borrow a common doctor saying. He's a complete mess. We're talking a whole BUNCH of transplants, transfusions galore, and a ton of therapy. You ready to do that sort of thing?"

He was marking things down on the clipboard, and watching the respirator, and the kid's mouth. His whole body, really.

"Not much we can do unless we get some fresh organs. But no one's got any. I did a check on availability a few hours ago, just to see if there WAS anything. All they've got is a kidney. And that's not near enough. Not to mention it was A pos, and the kid's not that type. Rejection isn't something we want to deal with here."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kyrit » 01/21/2008 11:15 PM

Reive gave a small smile. "I'd willingly search this whole world if I could find the right organs that he needs... I'll fight by his side... and we won't lose." He seemed to be getting increasingly tired, his face a slight pink compared to his usual pale skin. "Since I haven't gotten to do a check-up on him myself since the lot of you seem so intent on me resting... would you mind telling me how long you think we can get him to hold on while we search?"

His eyes slid shut for a moment, no more words flowing through his mouth. He was hoping that Luke would hurry with his words, feeling as though his body wasn't going to allow him to stay conscious for too much longer....
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Donate

Luke [27]

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 01/22/2008 1:58 PM

Luke sighed, and studied the chart in his hands, and Oni, biting his lip as he thought. Brecht returned with a hot mug of cocoa, and another few blankets, which he started situating around Reive. The elder of the other two responded to the question he'd been asked.

"I'd say anywhere from a few hours to a few months. It all depends on what sort of damage there actually is. We don't know enough about his condition to make that sort of estimate, Reive."

He sounded disappointed and frustrated. Perhaps he was having a bad day. Or perhaps this little case was what was driving him up a wall. Sick children, he did not do well with. And for all his maturity in the matter, Oni WAS a child.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kyrit » 01/24/2008 9:18 PM

A few hours to a few months.... Not much a a window in his mind, what with the 'a few hours' in there. He took a few sips from the cocoa and let out a small sigh. "I shouldn't be sitting around like this... I need to get out and about and start searching..."

The Memorial kuhna set his hug down on a small side table and began slowly standing up, bracing himself on the bed's railing. "Will you two keep a bit of an eye on him while I'm searching? I'm not going to give up until I get some leads..."
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 01/24/2008 11:05 PM

"Reive, you NEED to rest." Luke demanded, walking over to the door to shut it, and stand in front of it. "Let Brecht and I do the legwork. Trust us. We're good doctors - or so you said when you hired us. Let US do the work this time. You need sleep. If you're not going to go lie down in one of the cots, at least curl up on the extra bed in here. You can keep an eye on him from there."

He wasn't moving away from the door, and he was adamant about this. Also, being a Serraptor, he was a heck of a lot faster than Reive was. This was a bonus AND - for Reive at the moment - a minus. He wouldn't get past Luke to the door unless he tricked him. And tricking Luke was like trying to catch the tail of an angry tiger. It just didn't work.

"Bed. Now."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kyrit » 01/25/2008 12:46 AM

His body wished for him to do as told and rest, but his mind told him to keep going. Still, he knew that standing around and fighting with Luke over who was going to do the search wouldn't get anything at all done. Reive slowly slid back into the chair and spoke, "Alright... I trust you you.... I know the staff here is some of the best around... so please don't prove me wrong."

His voice gave way at just how tired he was. He didn't want to stop... He felt as though Oni was his responsibility, and wanted to be able to fully take care of him. "I'll stay at his side at least a little longer before I go to bed... I'll rest though." His left hand rested ontop of Oni's, watching the young kuhna.
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 01/26/2008 3:22 AM

Luke and Brecht slid in and out of the room, tending to Oni and to Reive both. Brecht did the legwork for the research, and Luke had the job of monitoring both doctor and patient. It was hard work, but they were more than willing to do it, after all Reive had done for them.
Looking at the Kuhna child, both Brecht and Luke stood outside the room, watching through the window. Luke sighed.

"There's really not much we can do. My best guess is that the kid's got something we can't trace. He's failing fast, and will probably be dead before morning, if not sooner."

Brecht glanced toward Reive.

"If he dies, it will break Reive's heart you know. You want to have TWO deaths on our hands? I say just leave him on life-support even if he DOES stop responding. We can take him off when Reive's good and ready to accept his death."

"That would be cruel. And inhumane to the kid. You know, though... there is a doctor in a hospital in another town that's supposedly a brilliant diagnostician. Better that Reive even. If ANYONE can find out what's wrong with this kid, it's going to be him."

"Then go call him. We don't have all night to wait, and the kid is slipping away before our eyes. I can't keep him too drugged up, or he's going to keep losing organ functions. As it is, I can't see his kidneys making it. Or his heart and lungs for that matter."

"So we'll transplant. That's not a big deal. What IS a big deal is that - if it's something we don't know - whatever it is might attack the NEW organs once we get them in. That's why I'm saying to call this guy."

"Okay. So do it. I'll keep watching the two in there. I don't think Reive's asleep, but if he doesn't know we're out here, he might slip off. He doesn't seem the guy to fall asleep with people in the room."

"You're right on that one..." Luke replied, before walking off to call the doctor he'd spoke about. "Let's just hope he DOES get to sleep. Before he winds up in a coma like Oni."

"Hey, you didn't call him 'the kid' for once, Luke..." Brecht said to Luke's retreating back.

The other doctor just shrugged, and went to phone. Brecht looked back inside the ICU, watching Reive and Oni. There seemed to be a connection between those two. One that shouldn't be severed. He had no doubts that Reive would loose his brilliant mind if Oni were to die.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kyrit » 01/26/2008 2:44 PM

There had been many times in which while there was at least one of them in there that Reive would almost fall asleep, head bobbing down and then jerking back up, refusing to fall asleep. He had to watch over Oni... He wanted the others to be able to take care of the outside things, such as searching for the right organs.

Now that they were gone he couldn't help it though. His body slowly slid forward, head landed next to Oni's tiny little hand on the bed. His eyes had slid shut, now in a very deep sleep. He'd probably wake up in a few house, but until then it was probably pretty impossible to wake him up. While sleeping, his hand continued to hold onto the other kuhna's.
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 01/26/2008 7:39 PM

When Reive finally woke up, he wasn't hunched over, and he wasn't in the ICU. He was in a regular hospital bed with monitors attached. Oni was nowhere in sight. It was night-time, and the moon shone into the room, throwing silver light across Reive's bed. And across the shoulders of the doctor that was currently in the room, sleeping in a cot against the wall. Aside from having possibly the worst headache he'd ever had [which was subsiding even now], Reive seemed to be just fine. There was just one problem... where was Oni?
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kyrit » 01/26/2008 7:55 PM

The Memorial kuhna slowly sat up, pushing himself up the best he could. What... had happened? His hand rested on his head, which was still pounding lightly. Was it the same night as when he had fallen asleep..? No.. it couldn't be. He had been able to hear doctors fussing sometimes, as if something were happening to him. Oni! Where was he?!

He slowly moved his legs off of the bed, sliding off to stand. Monitors, an IV... something had certainly happened. Had he driven his body to such exhaustion that he had been out for some time now? The doctor began the delicate procedure of taking the monitors off of himself, or at least the ones that made it to where he couldn't get up. Anything else he'd take with him as he managed to slip out of the room, beginning his search for the cake kuhna.
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 01/26/2008 8:22 PM

He didn't have to search far. The curtains were drawn back from the glass in one of the rooms across the way, and there was Oni, although through the hospital window, Reive couldn't see much more of him than just his form in a bed. He was on the second floor. From the view, Rieve appeared to be on the fifth.
When he finally DID reach Oni's room, and pushed open the door, Oni was lying there on the bed, peacefully. There appeared, at first glance, to be no change in his condition. But no... Looking closer, there was a large, stitched wound cutting straight down the sternum of the boy's chest. The doctor could see it, as the boy's chest was exposed for leads and such. He was also breathing on his own, and seemed to be only ASLEEP, not in a coma, according to the readings from the monitors.
Someone came up behind Reive, and put his hand on his shoulder. It was Luke, and the smile that accompanied his words was all that was needed.

"Amazing, isn't it? In just two months... Which, by the way, you were out for. We'd almost thought you would never wake up - but then this morning you started dreaming, so we knew you'd wake up today. And this was the first place we knew you'd go."

He chuckled, and squeezed the older doctor's shoulder a bit.

"He's making a fine recovery. Lung transplant was a complete success. He's really got a strong will to live. Heart transplant was completed about two weeks ago, so he's not QUITE ready to be using that new heart extensively, but he hasn't rejected it - which is good. And there's one more thing... One of the surgeons that was working on him noticed a severe depression in the back of his spine. Turns out the reason he couldn't walk was because a bone-spur on the spinal column was compressing the nerves and cutting off the signal. We removed the spur, and have used magic to restore his leg muscles. Thank the gods the new doctor arrived when he did... He doesn't work here, though. Called himself Luminare. Man's got the most delicate touch I've yet to see. And skilled."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kyrit » 01/26/2008 8:45 PM

He was completely silent as he listened to Luke. Two months... He had been out of it for two months, nothing more then a burden for the other doctors in the building. A few tears slowly slid down his cheeks, closing his eyes. "Two months... I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even remember me now after going into a coma and those surgeries... to think that so much has happened without me.."

Reive's tears weren't out of sadness, but instead happiness for the young kuhna. He looked back at Luke and gave a small smile. "You have no idea how greatful I am to you Luke... You guys are truly the best staff around... And I'm greatful to Luminare... to think that Oni's going to be able to walk now.."

Reive leaned back against the room's wall, smiling even though there were still a few tears left within his eyes.
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext