If you're looking for beautiful seaside scenery, this is the place for you. Home to the world's largest collection of fishermen and fishing pets, this city is well known, as it provides much of Barakka's fish exports. You should try the famous Broiled Sea Scalla, it's delicious! (+2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Jawan, the Sea City

{ -- just wandering [OPEN]

Postby Adelie » 12/11/2009 3:41 PM

((If my posts get really cruddy the blame goes all to Seasonal Specialities. :)  So yeah.  Apart from that, this is open to anyone and is sort of a test run for this character.  I write my characters in human form, so bear that in mind.))

Running her fingers through her fluffy black hair and trying to flatten it out, she took the time to curse the everlasting rain.  "It's raining, it's raining, and it's still raining," she said, stating the obvious.  "Oh, bothersome sky, can't you just stop crying on my face already?"  The sky, being inanimate and rather too far away to hear a complaining college student, did nothing to respond.  At best, it just rained harder.

In between classes and homework and concept BLUE she barely ever had time to head outside and enjoy the scenery any more, and yet just when she finally had everything finished off and a few hours to do as she pleased, it was raining.  What luck.  What horrible, goshdarn luck.  Rain always put her in a bad mood.

As if in response to the mental storm clouds of anger billowing out of Tabby Lin's attitude, a streak of lightning flew across the sky and lit up the afternoon like a Christmas tree.  It was soon followed by thunder and then a hefty burst of pounding rain started tapping a staccato on her unprotected head.  "Oh joy,"she said, with more than a hint of sarcasm, and ducked into the nearest shop she could find.
and if you ask how i regret that parting:
it is like the flowers falling at spring's end
confused, whirled in a tangle.

what is the use of talking, and there is no end of talking,
there is no end of things in the heart.

ezra pound, exile's letter
zoo pen | journal | wishlist
Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2255
Donate

Re: { -- just wandering [OPEN]

Postby Thunder » 12/11/2009 10:54 PM

Hyacinth hadn't gone out much, fearing that someone from her kingdom that was searching for her would recognize her. But today, it was raining here in Jawan, so she thought that there wouldn't be too many people out and about. So she put on a brown robe to shield herself from the rain and traveled to this city. The robe was in no way royal-looking; she wanted to blend in with the crowd.

Hyacinth had been hoping to find a certain seafood restaurant that she had heard about while listening to the chatter of the common folk, but now she was rather lost. She found her way to a series of shops, and she entered one, hoping it was the restaurant she was looking for. But it didn't seem to be so, and while she was opening the door she accidentally bumped into a black-haired girl...

"Oh, goodness gracious!" Hyacinth gasped. "Sorry for that! I didn't mean to run into you."

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate

Postby Adelie » 12/11/2009 11:26 PM

"Hey!" she said--no--interjected, an almost automatic response as she was pushed into the wall of the shop, an elbow in her stomach area and someone's body pressing against her in a decidedly painful way.  "Guroff of me, dangit!"  Slipping out of where she was pinned into the wall of the shop, she scrambled to a more comfortable standing position and stared at the new girl.  Some lady in a brown robe, looking a bit out of place in the atmosphere of the city and a bit confused.  Tabby took pity on the woman, deciding that she would force herself in a good mood to compensate for the rain outside.

"So, who are you and what do you want?"

((Erk, sorry, cruddy post.  My muse doesn't like Tabby a lot right now.))

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 12/13/2009 7:01 PM

The girl seemed rather irritated, and Hyacinth felt bad that she had run into her. But when the girl asked for her name, she tensed up a bit. It wasn't likely that this person would know her identity, but Hyacinth was still wary. She quickly thought of another name she could use, one that was more obscure than her own.

"Oh, um, I'm Martha," she quickly replied. Martha was the name of one of the cooks back at the castle. "And...I was just wondering where the Sea Spice Restaurant is...?" What an awkward situation! Hyacinth felt rather nervous, hoping that the girl really believed her name was Martha. Hopefully she wouldn't accidentally reveal who she was.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 12/13/2009 8:21 PM

((Yay for incognito characters. :D))

Oh good--it didn't look like the girl knew who she was, although that was quite likely considering that half the people she knew didn't even know what on earth concept BLUE was.  (Which she liked.  The whole thing where people she didn't know followed her around half-furtively and then pounced on her going, "You're a part of concept BLUE?  Really?  Oh my Zu'hai, I just love your work, and will you sign this for me, please please please" was a bit weird.  And a good way for her to die far ahead of her time--there was no telling how many near heart attacks she'd gotten from that.)

"Well, hello to you, Martha."  Niceties were always nice, weren't they?  "And the Sea Spice restaurant is--"  Oh.  Oh dear.  It was probably not a good idea to go about answering questions when you didn't know what the answer was beforehand.  Hastily, she backtracked.  "Well, to be honest I don't really know where it is, but--I mean, I guess it's probably right around the university area."  She lived in the university area, had been studying for a year and a half there, and she didn't even know the area.  Huh.  What a lousy person she was.  But the name did seem a bit familiar, and she distantly recalled seeing something there by that Sea Spice name.

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 12/13/2009 10:36 PM

Well, it seemed like this girl didn't know where exactly the restaurant was. Hyacinth sighed with slight disappointment. "Ah, all right," she said. "But thank you anyways." Then she paused. She still felt a bit bad for crashing into the girl (whose name she still didn't know). What is she invited her to go eat with her? That might make up for it. "Have you eaten yet, by any chance? We could go look for the Sea Spice Restaurant together and have lunch. And by the way, what might your name be?"

She hoped all the questions weren't making the other girl uncomfortable. Hyacinth was only trying to be courteous.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 12/13/2009 11:36 PM

"Well no, I haven't."  That reminded her.  She'd been out for a walk for a reason, after all, and that reason happened to be to find something to eat.  Then the rain had interrupted her, scattered her thoughts and brought this girl into her life.  "I guess we could go together.  Do you know where the university district is?"  She didn't want to sound like she thought the other girl was an imbecile, but it came off slightly in that manner and she gave a mental curse.  But she didn't think the girl knew where places in Jawan were.

"Oh, by the way, my name's Tabby.  It's short for Tabitha, but really, I don't think anyone, especially not me, wants to be called that.  So yes, please call me Tabby."

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 12/14/2009 6:28 PM

Hyacinth  smiled. "Tabby. That's a nice name." The university district, huh? Well, she couldn't say that she knew where that was. She had only been to Jawan two times; today, and one short trip in the past. "Um...I don't know where it is. Could you take me there? We'll look for the restaurant together. Sorry for the trouble; I'll pay for both our meals, if that's fine."

Hyacinth stuck her hand in one of her pockets to make sure that the money she brought hadn't been pick-pocketed somewhere along the way. It was still there, but that's when she suddenly realized that she chose a rather expensive place to go to. What if Tabby began to question where she got all her money from? A surge of anxiety welled up in her, but she forced herself to push it down.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 12/14/2009 8:13 PM

"Mmm?"  Well, she was right: the girl was probably some sort of visitor here, new to this area and unfamiliar with it all.  And Tabby was not the kind of person who'd turn down a free meal, although she did object occasionally if she thought that someone was just being too nice to her, so she added, "Sure, I'll take you there, and that's fine with me."  Looking out the windows of the shop they were in, she noticed that the rain had begun to peter out a bit, and there was just a slight, steady drizzle--oh, it wasn't even that, just really a thin mist.  And considering that Jawan was, after all, a seaside city, that was probably the best that could be expected.

"Do you want to go now?  I mean, it's not really raining that much anymore."  She had her hands on the door handle and was pulling it slightly open without waiting for an answer.

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 12/14/2009 9:51 PM

Hyacinth, too, had taken note that the rain had mostly subsided. "Yes, now would be a good time." She still had her hood up so her hair would be protected from the rain. But now that it wasn't really raining, she had no more need for it. Besides, some people would be unnerved by the sight of a strange hooded figure running around, and they could take her for some kind of villain. So she put it down, revealing long, flowing blonde hair and bright, golden eyes.

The color of her eyes were special. Long ago, when the god of light blessed the first king of her kingdom, her ancestor, the god marked their family with golden eyes. Closer to her home, it would probably be a dead giveaway that she was a princess. But here in this world, where beings seemed to have all sorts of strange eye colors, it wouldn't be as obvious. She just hoped no one she knew had gone looking for her in Jawan...

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 12/14/2009 10:49 PM

((I'm going to have Tabby do some mild poking around with Hyacinth/Martha's history right now.  If you don't want that to happen yelling is always accepted. :) ))

"Okay," she said, heading outwards.  She looked back to see if the other girl was following, and got her first real look at the other girl--long blond hair with matching golden eyes.  Though she was quite used to seeing odd eye colors these days (there was a kid at the university with red-gold-grey eyes.  She still wasn't sure how that was possible.) she still did a little double take at her eye color before resuming her walk towards the outside, where she headed north towards the college.

"Say, what's the deal with your eye color?  It's...very unusual."

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 12/19/2009 1:18 PM

(Totally fine with me x3)

Hyacinth followed closely behind Tabby, keeping an eye on the other girl so she didn't accidentally lose her. But she froze in her tracks when Tabby questioned her about her unusual eye color.

"O-oh, my eyes?" she stammered. Oh dear, this wasn't good. Hyacinth was pretty sure that Tabby wasn't someone who knew her, but she had to be wary. "Well, it's something that's been passed down through my family...we all have golden eyes." It wasn't the whole truth, but it wasn't a lie either. She regained her composure and began walking again.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 12/19/2009 10:10 PM

Family genetics?  Well, that sounded pretty normal, though it wasn't exactly the most logical answer that she'd ever heard.  From the year of biology she'd taken she was pretty sure that genetics didn't usually work that way--you didn't get a whole pile of family members with golden eyes the same way you didn't get a whole pile of family members all with hemophilia.  For one, they'd probably be too dead to pass on genetics.

"Golden eyes, eh?" she said, lacking another topic to go on about and feeling rather uncomfortable in the silence.  "Is it just something that happens or is there some reason for it?  Like, a family curse or something?"  The last question was said in a half-joking way, completely unserious.

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 12/23/2009 6:02 PM

The words "family curse" made Hyacinth even more nervous. It wasn't a curse...it was more of a blessing, but the two were similar in nature. "Uhm...not really?" she replied. "It's...hard to explain..." Hyacinth felt as if she was in a bit of a tricky spot. Tabby most likely had no idea who she was...but Hyacinth really didn't want to return to her country anytime soon. She loved this feeling of being free to do whatever she liked, and back at home, her people kept on pressuring her.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 01/21/2010 3:45 PM

((Stupid Tazz is stupid. ._.  Over vacation most of my role-plays died because I rely on the new posts feature to keep track of my threads and it sort of whacked out when I accessed Evelon from someplace in Arizona.  I think.  In any case I blame technology because the only other option is to blame myself and I don't like that idea. x3))

The Sea Spice restaurant seemed to be getting no closer and the rain-mist was starting to get into Tabby's hair and make it frizzle into a more messy than usual condition.  A completely unrelated observation, yes, but when she was starting to get bored such observations occurred to her in massive numbers and she didn't like it when her subconscious started to point out little bits and pieces of her that weren't acceptable to her high standards.  Multitasking, she ran her fingers through her lank dark hair in an attempt to straighten it out a bit and then continued to distract herself by inquiring more into the conversation.

"It's not like there's anything else to talk about on the way there, and I like a good story.  Tell me about it."

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items