If you're looking for beautiful seaside scenery, this is the place for you. Home to the world's largest collection of fishermen and fishing pets, this city is well known, as it provides much of Barakka's fish exports. You should try the famous Broiled Sea Scalla, it's delicious! (+2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Jawan, the Sea City

Somewhere, Beyond The Sea... (Start)(Self)

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/16/2012 4:37 PM

Bannick Baylight watched the ship sail out of the harbour. The breeze stirred his hair, and he sighed. He had been aboard ships all his life, and now, to leave him behind like this! He had been furious with the captain's decision, but his word aboard ship was final. Bannick was too young to be a sailor, but too old to be a child...
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Re: Somewhere, Beyond The Sea... (Start)(Self)

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/17/2012 7:13 PM

They had no choice, the captain said. They couldn't keep him on as crew, but they could no longer justify looking after him either... It wasn't like they wanted to leave him behind, they simply had to. Something about rations and responsibility and the like. Bannick hadn't argued, but he had been sullen and miserable since he heard about it.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 08/19/2012 7:20 AM

Now, as he sat watching the sails fading out into the distance, he began to think. He had never really questioned his position, or considered his future. The crew had treated him like family for so long, he had assumed that he would simply blend into them as he got older. Clearly, fate had something else in mind for him... He sighed, stretched and stood, with a heavy heart, and wandered off down the docks to see what he could find.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 08/19/2012 12:12 PM

Bannick passed huge trawlers with teams of frenzied people rushing about on them, pulling at nets and crating fish. He knew that Jawan was incredibly popular due to it's never-ending supply of fresh fish, but he had seen how it was out there... How men risked life and limb for those crates of fish, how some of them never came home whilst others fervently wished they had never left the sea... The people who lived that life were as deep and varied in themselves as the sea itself, and Bannick had been loath to leave their company. As he watched the fish being unloaded, he wondered what would become of him now...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 08/19/2012 12:28 PM

He continued his stroll along the docks, as the smell of fish lingered in the air. The sails of the moored ships were blowing in the breeze, as the red sun began to set and illuminate the area. Bannick would never have admitted it, but he was afraid... He had nowhere to go, and though the Captain had given him a generous sum of money, he was unsure of where to go to rent a room... And though he didn't want to linger about the docks (for he knew the kind of men who lurked there after dark), it was the only place he knew well, the only familiar place...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 08/21/2012 10:32 AM

As Bannick stood there, unsure of where to go, he was hailed by a shout from one of the ships moored to the quay.

"Ahoy there!"

He turned to see a captain with dark skin and off-white hair standing on an old-fashioned galleon, leaning over the side to look at him. He blinked, then frowned... his mind must surely be playing tricks on him. nobody used wooden galleons any more... Although sailing ships were fairly common, and wooden-themed boats were popular for recreational use, most modern merchant vessels were steel hulks, powered by steam or magic.

Yet before his eyes was indeed a wooden galleon, with a captain in ancient pirate attire staring at him with a grin on his face!

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 08/21/2012 12:29 PM

"Ahoy there!"

The shout came again, louder this time, and the captain grinned knowing he had Bannick's full attention.

Bannick simply stared at the man, unwilling to accept what he was seeing. To think there would be someone like him in today's modern age? Admittedly, Bannick was wearing old (very old) fashioned clothes too, but... that was due to neccesity, more than anything. He was brought out of his thoughts as a rope ladder was unrolled over the side of the ship, and the captain climbed down to stand beside him on the quayside...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 08/25/2012 12:05 PM

The captain clapped Bannick on the shoulder, and stood facing the open sea. For a moment, neither of them spoke, and Bannick stared hard at the man standing beside him.

Eventually, the captain spoke: "Come on lad, the moon'll be coming up fast, and we aim to set sail before morning". Without waiting to see if Bannick would follow, the captain turned and began to climb back up the rope ladder, pausing halfway to look back at him. "Are ye not coming?" He asked, slight puzzlement on his face...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 08/28/2012 2:32 PM

For a moment, Bannick stood there gaping at the puzzled captain. Was he not coming? Of course he wasn't coming! Who was this strange old man with his wooden vessel, and what did he want with Bannick?

His reverie was cut short as he heard a grunting sound behind him, and he didn't stop to look back at the two growling werecain that he knew stood behind him. They were the ones he had skirted around earlier, not liking the sight of them, and now, having finished their day's work, they had come to have some fun with him...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 08/28/2012 2:41 PM

Ignoring the rope ladder, Bannick ran to the quayside and jumped, climbing the ship as if it were made of handles. He stopped to catch his breath on the deck, as the captain nimbly climbed over the side and came to stand beside him.

"Son, I reckon ye was born for the sea, and ye were born for this ship, fer no one can board her a'fore she accepts them, and no-one has ever climbed her like that. Welcome aboard, me hearty. I am Captain Jeremiah Timbers, and this is the good ship Anihir." A rousing cheer went up from the assembled crew, and Bannick stood in awe at the sight before him...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/31/2015 8:19 PM

There were all sorts of species - people - swinging from ropes and making fast the lines. There were half-shifters to-ing and fro-ing and moving cargo below, whilst the full-shifters swam or flew around the ship, shouting reports to the first mate, who was himself a Kalamarei. Bannick couldn't believe his eyes; on land, even in Jawan, it was considered common to wear your half-skin (as they called it) in public. Human form had become the norm, unless you were a thug or were at work. But aboard, everyone seemed comfortable with it and themselves.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/23/2016 5:22 PM

Posts Recorded before here

"Now lad, come into my cabin an' let's talk ship" said the captain, clapping him on the shoulder. The captain began to walk towards the central hatch as Bannick followed, awestruck at the sight that was the Anihir and its crew.

As the door closed behind him, however, Bannick began to feel a little uneasy. The ship felt familiar to him, and that set him right on edge as he was sure he had never seen it before, much less been on board. It was unnerving how comfortable he felt with the captain, too, considering he had rarely interacted with anyone outside the crew of his old ship.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/23/2016 5:25 PM

"Sit, lad, there be no standin' on ceremony here once the captain sets ye at ease." The captain himself sat in a comfortable chair behind his desk, examining Bannick with interest. Who was this young man to show up just before they set sail, and board the ship - a ship that chose its crew, no less - with such ease? Granted, the ship had alerted the captain to his presence on the quayside, but that didn't make him any less mysterious.

"Thank you, sir." Bannick sat down on the chair facing the captain, remembering his manners as he did so.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/23/2016 5:31 PM

"Well now, I think proper introductions are in order, my lad. You already know my name, but I need to know yers, and what yer was doing on the quay when ye was needed aboard." The captain leaned forward to examine Bannick's startled face, not missing the slight panic that arose in him.

"Sir, I fear there's been some mistake - I've never seen your ship in my life, never even heard of it" said Bannick, worry clouding his tone. He was genuinely worried that he would be kicked off the ship if they found he wasn't who they were looking for, and would have to deal with the werecain on the dockside.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/23/2016 5:33 PM

The captain smiled ruefully at Bannick's obvious panic and concern. This was not the first time he'd had to deal with a new crew member, and he knew what would be going through the young man's mind. "Son, I'm going to tell ye a story that ye will not believe. But first, however, we be havin' dinner - the first mate'll be bringing it along shortly."

Bannick's stomach rumbled at the mention of dinner, and he cringed in embarrassment at the noise.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Next