If you're looking for beautiful seaside scenery, this is the place for you. Home to the world's largest collection of fishermen and fishing pets, this city is well known, as it provides much of Barakka's fish exports. You should try the famous Broiled Sea Scalla, it's delicious! (+2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Jawan, the Sea City

.x. Pirates! [self]

Postby Rebel_the_Proud » 09/02/2012 10:18 PM

Vaan
[ Human Form ]

Hey! Get back here! Thief! Thief! Stop him! Hurry!
Shrieking down the streets of Jawan, a young man, seventeen years in age, nimbly zipped in and out of the crowded marketplace. In his hands was a sack of gold, picked off of an unsuspecting rich man. The man was falling behind quickly, desperately trying to get others to stop the young thief, but to no avail. The young man was turning out of sight around an old building before anyone could catch a good look at him. The thief, and the rich man's money, were gone.

Without taking any chances, Vaan continued to run, taking turns through alley ways and cut throughs, doing all that he could to detour anyone from following him. It wasn't until he was nearly to the outskirts of the city that Vaan even dared to slow down. Looking behind him, he could clearly see that no one had followed him. Vaan smiled, clutching his prize in his hand. With a confident smile, Vaan strolled onward, taking the time to catch his breath. Vaan didn't make much of a habit of stealing, but when he saw the rich who took so much advantage of the poor, it made him furious. He just couldn't stand it. There were others out there who needed even just a fraction of the what the rich had. Vaan was just getting to others what the rich wouldn't give on their own.

Approaching the old streets that were familiar to him, a few young orphans came running out to Vaan. They looked up to him as a big brother. Vaan smiled as they ran up to him excitedly. “Hey, guys,” he greeted with a smile as the kids jumped all around him, asking questions. “Vaan! Vaan!” A particularly small boy came running up ahead, bouncing in clothes that were far too big for him. Vaan smiled as the boy wrapped his small hands around his own, the boy tugging on him excitedly. “Where've you been?! We all wanted to play!” “Sorry, Shilah, but I had some important business to attend to,” Vaan said as he tightened his grip around the sack of gold. “Just what kind of business?” The unmistakable, mothering voice of Kaya came from ahead, and Vaan looked up to see her with her arms folded over her chest, and her foot tapping impatiently. Kaya may have been younger than Vaan, but she still had a look that made him feel nervous. he laughed nervously, finally able to break loose of Shilah's grip and placing his free hand behind his head. “I didn't see you there, Kaya,” he said a bit sheepishly, pushing a loose pebble away with his foot.

Shilah & Kaya

Code: Select all
“[b][color=#3868C7]Vaan[/color][/b]”
“[b][color=#BF0080]Kaya[/color][/b]”
“[b][color=#40BF00]Shilah[/color][/b]”

Look into my eyes you'll see
A graveyard filled with dirt and defeat

Look into my eyes you'll see
The weight on my soul

Where the fallen angels sleep
The crooked hearts and the crossroads meet

Where the haters say my name
And carve it in stone

I'm gonna make a comeback
I'm gonna dig six feet up tonight

I'm gonna get it all back
I'm gonna make a comeback this time
Rebel_the_Proud
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 796
Donate

Postby Rebel_the_Proud » 09/03/2012 9:10 PM

Kaya shook her head with silent frustration, as if she were trying to shake off her feelings of worry. She couldn't help but worry. “Vaan, when are you going to learn the danger of what you're doing?” Vaan smirked, shrugging his shoulders in response. Kaya walked a little closer, placing a hand on Shilah's shoulder. “You'll get caught one day, you know,” she said in a matter-of-fact way. Vaan shook his head, replying, “They haven't caught me yet.” “And they ne'er will!” Shilah piped up excitedly, causing Vaan's face to light up with both happiness and pride. “You got that right, Shilah,” Vaan egged on, excitement in his voice. Kaya was clearly not amused. “Oh, enough, you two.” There was clearly irritation in Kaya's voice. Brushing off her irritation, Vaan handed her the sack of gold. “I got it for you and Shilah. You two need it.” Kaya fell silent as she looked at the sack of gold. It wasn't the first time that Vaan had come in to help them at just the right time. In fact, Vaan was well known for taking from the rich and giving to the poor, but he most often helped Kaya and Shilah out. At first, Kaya never accepted, but she would always find Shilah with the gold later that day, and Vaan would be no where in sight for her to return it. She finally just gave up. She sighed, looking up to Vaan with grateful eyes. “What am I going to do with you, Vaan?” Her voice was incredibly motherly for such a young girl. Vaan nearly forgot her real age; only fifteen. But, she was mature far beyond her years, and selfless for her young foster-brother. Vaan grinned sheepishly as he made her take the sack, wrapping her hands around it to ensure it stayed there, but said nothing in response. It was a common occurrence when Vaan was embarrassed.
Kaya quickly tied the sack at her hip, making sure her scarf covered it. It would certainly buy them another meal, and she couldn't risk anyone else stealing it. Vaan began to stroll down the familiar, old alley ways of the sea city, keeping his pace leisurely. Shilah quickly followed, grasping a hold of Vaan's hand. “Wheres ya goin, Vaan?” Vaan shrugged his shoulders. “Not sure yet. My good deed's done for the day, so I guess I have the day off.” “How noble of you,” Kaya said sarcastically as she came up beside Shilah, grasping his other hand gently. Shilah giggled at her airy comment. Vaan's sheepish smile returned as they walked along the beaten path, together, Shilah begging for the two of them to swing him up as he leaped over holes and breaks in the pebbled walkway.
Rebel_the_Proud
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rebel_the_Proud » 09/04/2012 9:42 AM

Vaan and Kaya couldn't help but give in to Shilah's begging, swinging him upward as he jumped, giving him a little extra height that made him feel like he was flying. He giggled with delight as they bounced him up and down down the stoney road. Then, with his child-like attention, he caught sight of a rexxel walking down the alley ahead of them. “Kitty!” Shilah broke free from Vaan's and Kaya's grip, and ran ahead after the rexxel, squealing with delight. The rexxel, however, stood stunned for a moment, before dashing towards the nearest windowsill, just out of the boy's reach. “Please, be careful, Shilah,” Kaya said, her voice filled with concern.
He'll be fine,” Vaan assured her, knowing how much Kaya worried over Shilah. She sighed, watching Shilah's every move carefully. “I just can't help but worry. He's all I have,” Kaya said quietly. Vaan looked over to her. Sometimes, she thought on a level that Vaan wasn't even near to thinking. He didn't always understand her feelings, partly because he didn't understand her situation, but also because of his immaturity. Kaya sometimes forgot who young she actually was. She had made the choice to grow up quickly, all for Shilah's sake. When Vaan didn't reply, she knew that she had said something that was over his head. It happened from time to time, and she didn't hold anything against him. She couldn't. If it wasn't for him, Shilah would be in far worse shape. Even if he didn't understand, he was still a good friend.

The two walked along quietly, following Shilah down the road as he searched for another rexxel. Vaan remained silent, looking down at the path just ahead of them, kicking any loose pebbles that would come by within easy reach. “You won't get caught, will you, Vaan?” Kaya's question appeared to come right out of the blue, confusing Vaan. He smirked. “What're you talking about?” Kaya sighed, pausing a moment before answering. “I mean, this stealing that you're doing. I know you only steal from the rich, but... they do have enough money to come after you, y'know?” Vaan's sheepish grin returned at her concern. He knew the dangers, but he risked them anyway. In his eyes, the rich has far more than they needed and didn't give enough to those who were in need. He was just doing their job for them. “I'll be fine, Kaya. Besides, I only take a little at the time, and I try not to be seen when doing it,” he said without any concern. Kaya didn't like how relaxed he was taking it. “Vaan, I-” Kaya's voice cut off as she looked ahead and realized that Shilah was no where in sight. “Where's Shilah?” Panic was already struck through her voice. Vaan looked up quickly, searching for the young boy. “I thought he was just ahead of us.” Before Vaan could really finish his sentence, Kaya was already running down the road. “Shilah! Shilah! Where are you?!” “Shilah!” Vaan quickly followed Kaya, calling out for Shilah, as well. His eyes searched down all the sub-alleys and roads, hoping to catch a glimpse of him. “Shilah!” Sheer panic was in Kaya's voice as she ran as quickly as she could down the alley, Vaan following quickly behind. “Shilah!
Rebel_the_Proud
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rebel_the_Proud » 09/04/2012 3:13 PM

Shilah!” Vaan wasn't usually one to get too concerned unless something involved him, but with Shilah missing, he could feel part of Kaya's panic. The panic Kaya felt was becoming even more frantic as they neared the end of the alley, which opened up to a crude road in the 'bad part' of the city. “Shilah!” Kaya was now to the point of screaming as loud as she could for her foster brother, eyes searching frantically around, even in the most impossible of places. As the two came running out of the alley and onto the road, they both looked both ways, searching for the little boy. That's when Vaan spotted him not to far away, his back turned to them, and it appeared he was looking up to the sky. “Kaya! Over there!” He pointed towards the boy as he started running for him, though Kaya quickly overtook his pace and ran up behind Shilah, relief flowing through her. “Shilah! What do you th-” Before she could grab him, Shilah spun around to face her, excitement on his face as he pointed towards the sky above. “Kaya! Look!” “Huh? What?” Bewildered, she looked up, and her eyes widened. Vaan came up beside them, slowing to a stop, confusion in his eyes. “What is it?” Following their gaze, he looked up to the sky, and let out a gasp in awe. “Whoa...

Above them, flying at a low, steady speed, was an airship. It was a rare sight to see one flying over the city, much less the slums of the city. It had taken all three of them by complete surprise, but Vaan appeared to be the one most taken by it. “Is... is that an airship?” Her stunned question was directed to Vaan, but his response took so long due to his awestruck state that Shilah quickly jumped in. “It is! It is! And, I think they're going to land near here!” This statement quickly brought Vaan out of his stunned state. “No, they wouldn't land here. Only the rich have those. Not to mention, there isn't any real place for them to land.” Almost as soon as Vaan finished his sentence, a loud clattering came from the airship, and a small hatch appeared to be opening. A arrow-like anchor suddenly shot out from the hatch, hurtling straight for the three. “Look out!
Rebel_the_Proud
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rebel_the_Proud » 09/05/2012 2:30 AM

Instinctively, Vaan grabbed Kaya and Shilah, pushing them off to the side, and flinging his body over them. The anchor smashed into the pebbled road of the the city, retractable claws suddenly releasing and gripping the newly exposed earth beneath the pebble-stone road. As the dust gathered around them, the three friends coughed, squinting through the flying debris to try and make out what just happened. “Everyone okay?” Vaan asked as he stood up, coughing from the dust. “Ah, yeah, I think so,” Kaya replied, quickly looking for Shilah. Relief flooded through her as she heard him coughing, and she helped him sit up. “You okay, Shilah?” After another moment of coughing, Shilah managed to nod his head 'yes'. “C'mon, guys,” Vaan urged as he helped them up. His gaze constantly drew to the airship above them, know anchored to the ground below. “What're they doing?” Quickly, he led Kaya and Shilah to the cover of an old awning nearby to the anchor, but far enough away that they felt they were in safe distance. “What's hap'ning, sissy?” Kaya watched the airship in silence, trying to find an answer for Shilah, but she had nothing. She didn't know what was happening or why this airship had suddenly appeared. “I don't know, Shilah. I just don't know,” was the only response she could say.

As the three watched, all fell silent, aside from the quiet hum of the engines of the airship. Vaan kept his eyes locked on the airship, wondering just what was going on within it's walls. Then, there was movement beneath the ship. A large hatch started to open from the bottom of the ship. It moved slowly, but steadily, and with slight sound. Vaan was amazed about the silence of the machine. It was a marvel, no doubt. He watched in awe as the hatch suddenly halted, leaving a gaping whole exposed in the ship. Then, a bunch of ropes suddenly flung themselves down from the hull, landing on the stoney road. Shilah seemed to withdraw into Kaya's side, afraid of what he might see. Kaya wrapped her arms around him assuringly, whispering to him that everything was alright, though she wasn't sure of it herself. Vaan continued to watch the ship, unable to remove his eyes from it. He felt on edge about the entire situation, but it brought about an excitement that brought about a new feeling within him.
Rebel_the_Proud
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate