If you're looking for beautiful seaside scenery, this is the place for you. Home to the world's largest collection of fishermen and fishing pets, this city is well known, as it provides much of Barakka's fish exports. You should try the famous Broiled Sea Scalla, it's delicious! (+2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Jawan, the Sea City

Those Who Walk [self]

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/25/2017 11:41 PM

[OUT OF UNIVERSE - Riotverse]

There were very few times of year that the streets of Adrianis weren’t bustling with people - and by that, Sleipnir meant that they never, ever weren’t. This was especially true, she noted, during the festival that brought in the new calendar year. The already packed avenues flooded with even more traders and patrons, everyone shuffling around each other on the narrow canals and even narrower stone pathways. Lanterns were strong criss-crossed above it all, glowing brightly with both magic and flame, and the constant chatter of people was like a wave crashing on the shore.

“Are we there yet?” An exaggeratedly exhausted voice piped up from behind her. Sleipnir let out a gentle huff, far too quiet for human ears even in quieter circumstances, but she had no doubt that the young trickster could hear it loud and clear.

“Do we look like we’re there yet, Roland?” she grumbled, sweeping her bangs back out of her face for what felt like the thousandth time that day. She knew she should have pinned it back today.

He sleeps alone,
He needs no army where he's headed cause he knows
That they're just ghosts
And they can't hurt him if he can't see them
And I don't know
If in the morning I will be here and if so,
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Imp Docs ☽☾ Zoo ☽☾ Wishlist
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 90
Donate

Re: Those Who Walk [self]

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/25/2017 11:42 PM

“Beats me,” they said with a shrug, arms crossed behind their head. “He’s never quite in the same spot now, is he?” Their gait was as lazy as their drawl, but it didn’t fool Sleipnir completely - she could see those shifty green eyes flitting about, seeking out more than just their target. See, this was why she didn’t let them go alone. It would only spell trouble for probably everyone in the immediate vicinity of them.

“No, he is not,” she sighed, stirring her hair again with the exasperated puff of her breath. Yep, this definitely should have been a ‘hair up’ sort of day. This back and forth continued for awhile longer, the stall-filled roads of Adrianis filled with the echoes of the two demigods as they sought their third. The sun was hitting the high-point of the day, and just as Sleipnir thought she was going to call it quits and try again after at least a week-long nap, Roland’s hand came slapping down on her shoulder.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/25/2017 11:42 PM

“There there there!” They said, practically bouncing on their feet. They pointed to a stall in the thick of a market square, the midday light gleaming off of the wide display of metalwork. Though many eyes were caught by the impressive smithwork, it seemed that few stopped to actually peruse the wares. Truthfully, it had been a long time since such items were sold for more than simple decoration, but Sleipnir still told herself that they did not understand what they were missing.

“How do you always find him first?” she said, turning to raise an eyebrow at her cousin. They grinned, tossing their head back in a show.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/25/2017 11:43 PM

Luck, my dear,” they practically purred, strutting past her towards their destination. Sleipnir merely rolled her eyes at them, far, far too used to this sort of thing. It was no wonder she always got stuck with them. It took a special kind of patience. “Deryck, darling! Looking radiant as ever!” The stall keeper, previously busy with shining one of his works, looked up with surprise at his name. It shifted quickly into a knowing grin as they approached him.

“Same to you, Ro,” Deryck said, setting the dagger gently back into its case. He nodded to both of them, damp cloth in hand as he tried to work the oil off his fingers. “Brought Niri with you as usual, I see.” Sleipnir snorted, shaking her head.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/25/2017 11:44 PM

“What, you think I’d let this one out of the courts without tagging along? Talk about trouble.” That earned a good chuckle from Deryck, while Roland scowled and crossed their arms. She skillfully ignored them. “How’s business this time around?” she asked, tilting her head at the impressive array of blades in front of them. Deryck gave a little shrug, wringing the cloth through his hands one more time before setting it down.

“Oh, about as slow as ever, these years,” he said, gaze moving to wistfully drift across the display. “People just don’t appreciate a good sword as much as they used to, but,” He reached out, tapping an empty velvet slot in the front of the booth. “It just makes the right fit all the better, I think.” He smiled a bit at that. Sleipnir nodded, understanding what he meant. He put far too much craftsmanship into the blades to let them go to just anybody, after all. It was why his method of sales was so.. unusual.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/25/2017 11:45 PM

“You’ve sure got a lot of griffons there,” Roland commented, one hand on their chin as they leaned in close to one of the side racks. It held a gorgeous silver blade, simple in blade, with a sculpted griffon perched on the pommel with its tail wrapping down around the grip. Sleipnir took a moment to examine the dagger Deryck had just placed back in its hold. The small crossguard was a pair of wings, elegant but not without function, and the jeweled pommel was gripped by an iron talon. Yes, indeed, griffins did seem to be the theme, but it only made sense, really, considering-

“Well it is the Year of the Griffon,” Deryck said, bemused grin still on his face.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

“Is it really?” Roland exclaimed, spinning back around with a surprised look. “Why, it seemed as if just last summer was the Drake, and now we’re already back around to the Griffon?” They clasped their hands together in a motion that was far more dramatic than needed - which really, described every movement Roland ever made. “Tsk, things move so fast these days!”

“You say that like you’re an old fart,” Sleipnir said, shaking her head. “Need I remind you that I’m far older than both of you put together?” Roland chortled, that same permanent grin still plastered on their face.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

“Yes, but not necessarily wiser,” they snickered, jumping back to dodge her frustrated swipe at them. As a result, they bumped over a small cart, knocking the contents to the ground and leaving them face-to-face with one very aggravated market-goer. While they apologized profusely, quickly helping snatch things back up as they were scolded, Sleipnir turned back to Deryck. He was chuckling again, watching poor Ro scramble, but quieted when she leaned against the counter.

“So… how are you, then?” she asked, voice gentle and just loud enough for him to hear. Roland, in their distraction, would hardly notice a few short words go by without them. “I know it’s.. been a while now, since I’ve asked.” She dipped her head. “I don’t mean to pry. I just, want to make sure.”

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/25/2017 11:46 PM

“I’m fine, Niri,” Deryck said, voice as soft as his eyes. Sleipnir nodded again, as if to apologize for prying, but he reached out and set a hand on her shoulder. “Thank you, for asking. Your concern means a lot to me.” She smiled, just a little. It had been many years that the two of them had been in close confidence. Twice the age of Roland, and then some. Before she had found her place, and before Deryck had carved out his own. A lot of things had changed, but their bond had never been one of them.

“I’m glad,” she said, just as Roland was giving their final hurried bow to the disgruntled patron. They turned back around to the pair, exhaling sharply. Deryck just shook his head again, but Sleipnir took the opportunity to wink at them. “Did someone get in trooouuble, luckypants?”

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/25/2017 11:46 PM

No,” they responded, just a little too quickly. They smoothed out their clothes, picking at dust that wasn’t there.

“Uh-huh, I’m sure.” She ruffled their hair, making them squeak and almost jump back again. She laughed, turning back to Deryck with a smile. “Well then - think you can slip away for a little bit? The new year won't celebrate itself, you know.” Deryck gave a low hum, as if considering it, before looking back up with a smile and a nod.

“For you two? Anytime.”

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..