If you're looking for beautiful seaside scenery, this is the place for you. Home to the world's largest collection of fishermen and fishing pets, this city is well known, as it provides much of Barakka's fish exports. You should try the famous Broiled Sea Scalla, it's delicious! (+2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Jawan, the Sea City

[Quest] Blue Bucket of Gold [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/11/2017 1:25 AM

Severus' legs moved without him asking them to, carrying him as far from the servants' quarters as legally possible. And perhaps illegally. He was sure he was no longer on his master's property by now. He allowed himself to slow, the unforgiving sun beating down on his shoulders, making the space between his skin and the course fabric that made up his clothes.

He was parched. Finally stumbling to a stop, Severus braced a hand against a sun-warmed boulder, squinting against the shimmering sun. There had to be water around here somewhere. Then, he could think straight. Then he could think about what the future was going to hold.

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Re: [Quest] Blue Bucket of Gold [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/30/2017 12:34 AM

Severus wandered until he found a roadsign, and blessedly, a small well underneath it. He let out a breath and fell to his knees beside the small watering hole, and hauled up the wooden receptacle to drink from it. He coughed, taking in too much at once, then leaned back against the signpost and stared at the empty pathway that stretched to the east and west for miles. "Okay," he breathed out, licking his lips and taking one more sip before letting the bucket fall back down.

The past hour was a blur. The official coming to their slave quarters, their master in tow, informing them that a few of them would be chosen to battle in the colosseum. Very likely to the death. He searched his mind for what horrible sin he must have committed to receive this punishment.

Nothing really came to mind.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/30/2017 1:07 AM

Some of the other slaves had seemed excited about the idea--if they won, if they came out on top, crowd favorites, they might earn their freedom. Their strong bodies and powerful arms were testaments to their hard work over the years--deserving of freedom, after so many hours of toil. Severus, on the other hand, was young, his body thin and lithe and, at least in comparison, fragile.

He wiped his mouth of excess water, and rubbed the meagre leftover water on his forehead. His dark hair stuck to him with sweat. He had to go back eventually--but self preservation was shackling him to the spot.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/30/2017 1:24 AM

At the very least, he should get used to the idea that his life would not be long for this world. Severus stood, dusting off his clothes, and glanced up at the sign. He'd surely be found and captured if he tried to run away, and then, death might be inevitable regardless.

Walking seemed like the smartest thing to do. Severus stood and left the small haven the well provided, and eyed the copse of trees that lined the road a little ways away. Just a bit of shade and rest. Then, he'd go back and face the others.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/30/2017 6:05 PM

Come to think of it, Severus was not familiar with this neck of the woods. The shade was a haven of cool air in comparison to the burning sun, and he wiped at his neck with the back of his hand, huffing out a breath. The colosseum... he himself had never been to a fight there, spectator or otherwise.

He tried to imagine it. He let his eyes close and for a moment allowed his anxiety to sweep his mind to a place with roaring crowds (for he'd heard them in passing, from the outside) and sunlight and the metallic tang of blood in the air. Chaos from all around, bodies clashing and weapons skidding on armor and catching on flesh. He found his feet moving, slowly at first, then unconsciously quicker as he trotted through the copse of gnarled trees.

And then, his feet fell out from under him.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/30/2017 6:10 PM

His back hit dirt, then his head, and then he was skidding down a steep slope. He cried out as sharp edged rock sliced up his clothes, digging into his skin hard enough to cut. When he hit the bottom with a crunch, he dared to open his sun-exhausted eyes and stared at the pit he'd fallen into. All around him were various shattered pottery, in varying states of destruction. Some were embedded in the dirt--some had become the dirt. Whatever their past, they looked old, incredibly so. "Some kind of dumping ground?" he mumbled to himself, just to hear his own voice after being ripped out of his imagination and plunged into pain.

He was definitely bleeding, but his clothes had saved him from the worst of it. Just a few scrapes. He huffed and shifted his legs to sit up, groaning. He'd be sore, tomorrow, more so than usual.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/30/2017 6:34 PM

Standing with a shaky movement, the sound of blood plip plip-ing on pottery was the only sound. Not even the birds were tweeting, though Severus didn't blame them after such a ruckus. The tiny rivers of red ran down to the dirt, soaking in, as Severus tried to pick his way through the jagged pottery to somewhere with footholds.

He stared at the sharp edges lining the walls like teeth, and looked down at his pitifully thin sandals. This... would be the opposite of fun, if it were possible at all. Gritting his teeth and setting his jaw, Severus grunted and attempted to pull himself up the wall. But the pottery fragile at best, and crumbled beneath him, sending his hand skidding across a bladelike chunk of pottery. He screamed and clutched his hand close to his chest, staggering backwards and gasping as he stared at the red dripping from his hand.

Not good. Panic was starting to set in, creeping up his spine as his eyes darted all around the sides of the pit--all the same, all covered in fragile, ceramic knife-bits. The gods had cursed him. There was no other explanation for such an inescapable trap.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/31/2017 4:12 PM

Through his panicked breathing, Severus' ears picked up on the sound of gurgling liquid. His eyes darted to his feet, and gasped in wonder and fear at what he saw. Water, clear and cold, was bubbling beneath his feet and engulfing his ankles. He leapt away, or tried to, but slipped and landed on his backside.

A steady stream of 'oh gods' spilled from his mouth as he fought to get to his feet, but it was as though the water was sucking him down, and rising just as steadily. Perhaps he'd hit some sort of underground spring--but no spring rose this quickly, nor did it capture humans and hold them down.

He took one final breath as the water rose over his head, but the pressure of it all seemed to squeeze the air out of his lungs. Severus blacked out seconds later, the sound of water in his ears silencing the world around him.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/31/2017 6:42 PM

When he came to, he was on solid ground, and most likely very much alive. He blinked his eyes open, the feeling of a stiff post behind his back, and he twisted around and screwed his eyes up to stare at the signpost. Had he fallen asleep there...? No, he distinctly remembered the trap, the sharp edges, the feeling of water in his lungs...

He looked down at his lap, and blinked at the turquoise-striped pot there, a prominent chip in the rim. "What..." he mumbled, pulling his hands away, and blinking at the red handprint. He was still bleeding... so that had happened. He looked inside the pot, empty, save for what looked like a wet ring around the bottom--quickly drying water. His eyes flicked to the small well nearby, and an idea struck him, guided by nothing but a strange sense of fate.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/31/2017 9:46 PM

He pulled up the bucket, then replaced it with the pot, and lowered it down carefully, biting his lip in concentration. Steady, steady... he felt the pot hit the water, and he let it fill, then began raising it up, the wound on his hand stinging. Finally, he was able to lift it, and lugged it out of the well with no small amount of effort. He held it tight, eyes widening with alarm as he felt a tremor run through the ceramic, almost as if it were shuddering with life.

He dropped it with a startled cry, the pot shattering before it hit the ground--it was as though the water inside had blasted out in all directions with such force that the pot could no longer contain it. He fell backwards and skittered back, his back slamming against the post as he watched the water twist and form like a snake, the pieces of pottery floating through it freely.

"W-what in the gods' names," he breathed, shaking like a leaf as the arc of water reared up in a cobralike figure, the broken pieces of pottery surfacing and slotting together to form a patchwork of solidity. It kept moving and twisting, sliding together until finally, it formed the shape of a humanlike figure with one glowing slit for an eye.

Severus found it in himself to hold his tongue. Surely, this was a message from the gods.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate