If you're looking for beautiful seaside scenery, this is the place for you. Home to the world's largest collection of fishermen and fishing pets, this city is well known, as it provides much of Barakka's fish exports. You should try the famous Broiled Sea Scalla, it's delicious! (+2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Jawan, the Sea City

[Quest] And We're So Far From Home [self]

Postby Skeetzybug » 05/31/2017 1:43 AM

May Quest
[OUT OF UNIVERSE - Riot 'Verse]

The sun’s earliest rays tinted the waves pale gold, the thin layer of morning fog still sticking to buildings. The gentle murmur of the dock rose and fell in the still air, the beginnings of the day’s work echoing across salt and wood. It was soft, by most means. Quieter than the early hustle and bustle of the docks normally rang.

Feet hit the dock, and were still lost.

Wide eyes stared about, and she wasn’t sure she’d ever felt this small. Rough hands nudged at her back, and she flinched away as they urged her forward. They’d gotten her this far, the low voices whispered. Now she had to get on by herself.

She was overwhelmed. Frozen. She had nothing, nothing but the clothes wrapped around her and the tiniest pack of food she could imagine.

[1/10]

He sleeps alone,
He needs no army where he's headed cause he knows
That they're just ghosts
And they can't hurt him if he can't see them
And I don't know
If in the morning I will be here and if so,
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Imp Docs ☽☾ Zoo ☽☾ Wishlist
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 90
Donate

Re: [Quest] And We're So Far From Home [self]

Postby Skeetzybug » 05/31/2017 1:49 AM

They’d told her somewhere to go, hadn’t they? She was sure they had, could hear the words echo in her brain, but they muffled and blurred together, rocking like the ship’s hold in a storm. She couldn’t pick them out, couldn’t even begin to-

A voice cut through the growing sounds. It jolted her, made her clench her hands tighter and steady her footing. It sounded again, and as she looked up, she realized it was meant for her.

He was scrawny, she noted, compared to the sailors that moved behind him. He called to her again, [Adrianic] as shoddy as before. His furrowed expression looked wrong on his face somehow, and she wondered in the back of her racing mind if he was much older than she was.

[2/10]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 05/31/2017 1:54 AM

“You alright?” She nodded, numbly. He squinted a bit at her, tilting his head. She wondered if he could tell she was lying. She knew he could when he waved her over, strong arms pushing himself off the edge of the crate he’d been sat on. Her legs, still wobbly and unsure from the journey, carried her over without thought. He smiled at her, so much more bright and correct than his frown.

“You need directions?” It should have been a simple question. It was a simple question. She just, didn’t have a simple answer. Her body couldn’t decide if her head should nod or shake, though the rest of her had no problem with the latter as she chewed her own lip bloody. “Where are you headed? Maybe I can help.”

She’s not sure what breaks. She’s not sure what doesn’t break, really, as tears she didn’t know she was holding back rolled down and her shoulders trembled like the northern quakes.

It should be a simple question. Why is the answer so complicated?

[3/10]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 05/31/2017 2:19 AM

“Woah there, hey…” His voice is so much gentler, suddenly, than the energy and boom it had been before. Hands set on her shoulders, too big and too warm, and she retreated. She felt them hover there, waiting, but not pushing. It’s unfamiliar. “You’ll be fine, yeah? Don’t even worry about- oh.” His voice catches in his throat like her heart in her chest, and she looks up through damp eyes to find him all too close to her, and staring, staring, staring.

She’ll bolt, she’s decided. She’s already lost, she can just run, run until no one will find her, until no one sees-

“Okay.” His hands retreat. She’s so used to hands grabbing and pulling that it confuses her, if just for a moment. “No wonder.” He smiles again, that warm and bright thing, and nods. “Is it just you then?” His voice is still quiet, still gentle - just for her, she realizes. “Did any others… make the trip?” Her head shakes, a tiny motion, but he understands. There’s a hint of empathy to his smile, now. “Okay.”

[4/10]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 05/31/2017 3:00 PM

He steps back, looking over her. She’s used to eyes doing that, but not like this. His eyes aren’t hungry and sharp like the wolves she’s used to dealing with. He’s soft, concerned. Making sure she’s alright. It’s unfamiliar. It’s not unwelcome.

“My name’s Ethan,” he says, giving her a small wave of his hand. “You haven’t told me yours - if it’s okay to ask.” For a moment her tongue sits heavy in her mouth, deciding what she should say.

“Erika.” The whisper sounds as weak as she feels. Still, he hears her, nodding and repeating it back to her. Another tiny nod confirms it.

“Alright Erika,” he says, that warm smile still beaming from him. “I get that you’re probably pretty lost right now. You don’t need to be scared, I promise.” He motions outwards, pointing back into the vast bay that’s glittering with sunlight now. “The second you hit those waters, you were free for real, okay?” Another tiny nod, disbelieving. Somehow he catches it again. “There are plenty of people here who can help you, if you let them. I can tell you where to go.”

[5/10]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 05/31/2017 3:09 PM

She turns, and takes a moment to look back at the city. She can just see the edges of it from here, stretching out among canals and waterways. The bustle is starting to pick up now, people creeping out from the woodwork to start their days. She watches with nervous eyes, unable to stop the hiccups in her chest, before turning back to him. She’s still unconvinced. He gives a gentle sigh, looking at her again as if he’s deciding something.

“Or,” his voice drops low as leans in a bit, eyes shifting among the passerby. “If you don’t like it here, there’s another place you’ll be safe.” She shouldn’t believe him. She’s used to being lied to, lured into false promises. But… “A place they’ll never find you.” She can’t help her desperate curiosity.

He tells her about Den Raven.

[6/10]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 05/31/2017 3:19 PM

A place that only those who need it can find, he says. The enchantments are old and strong, and no one knows where they came from or what holds them there. All they know is that if you need to disappear, there is nowhere better than there. He tells her of waters that turn back foreign ships, of woods that turn you around when you get too close, and cliffs that rise and protect. It’s small, he warns her, and not very exciting - but it’s safe. He can promise that much.

“It’s where our ship harbors,” he says, glancing back at the worn but proud vessel. “We could take you there.” She follows his eyes, looking over the ship herself. The sound of it all is too good to be true. A hand clutches at her empty pockets, and she’s reminded that it is.

[7/10]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 05/31/2017 3:28 PM

“I… don’t have…” He gives a tiny laugh, shaking his head gently.

“You don’t need money,” he says. “At least, as long as you’re willing to help out. The cap’n is always looking for extra hands.” He pushes off from his place against the barrels, stepping one foot onto the gangplank. “What do you think?” He offers a hand again, reached out gently in front of her. She hesitates.

She takes one last look at the city. The morning sun is hitting the buildings now, catching the light from windows and hanging glass, and the thrum of its people begins to build. It’s beautiful, in its own right - but it’s huge, and overwhelming. She thinks about what he told her, of the small, simple seaside town, where she could have a quiet life. It could be a lie, she reminds herself. Another trick, to lead her right back to where she came from.

She looks at Ethan again, hand still held there in offering.

She decides to believe him.

[8/10]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 05/31/2017 3:30 PM

She takes his hand. He leads her onto the ship, leading but not forcing. He begins telling her all about it, about where it’s been and what he’s done. Shipmates barely glance up as they pass, save to give a grin and an eyeroll, and she wonders if this isn’t the first time he’s been someone’s hero. He shows her the galley, tells her she could help there, if she wanted, but only if she wants to. She’s introduced to the captain, who shakes her head when Erika bows and tells her, none of that here, little miss. She’s one of them now.

She spends the night in one of the ship’s beds, far from a real bed but so, so much more than she’s ever had before. She’s next to Ethan, and he talks in quieter and quieter murmurs until they both fall asleep, the echoes of the day left behind. Their awakening is loud and rude, nearly sending her into a panic, but he’s there before she can, talking gently to her again and getting her back onto her feet. She can’t figure out how he’s so good at it.

[9/10]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 05/31/2017 3:35 PM

It’s the morning they cast off, and her feet are still unsteady on the ocean. She’s not crammed into a stable or bilge this time, clutching the railing of the deck while the ship moves across the waves. He laughs at her, just a bit, but it’s a sweet laugh and she doesn’t find herself minding. He teases her about her sealegs, and she can’t help herself teasing him back about his awful accent. He howls and pretends to be upset, but his eyes are sparkling and she can tell he’s just happy that she’s happy. She tries to remember the last time anyone cared about her like that.

He’s helping her grip the bow railing, and the seaspray is hitting her in the face as they pick up speed, and she’s laughing, true and real and bright, for the first time she can ever truly remember. He laughs with her, and she wonders for the first time if this is what people really mean by free.

[10/10]

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..