If you're looking for beautiful seaside scenery, this is the place for you. Home to the world's largest collection of fishermen and fishing pets, this city is well known, as it provides much of Barakka's fish exports. You should try the famous Broiled Sea Scalla, it's delicious! (+2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Jawan, the Sea City

[* Really? A Truce? [Event] [P]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/20/2019 10:17 PM

This colorless world was truly a mystery that boggled the mind.

As he sat on the bench that overlooked part of the city's ports, he tried to imagine what they would have looked like were they colored like normal. He saw tiny shapes flopping about by the boats, and he assumed they were fish. Could the fishermen figure out what kind of fish they were without their colors?

He watched as people either frantically ran about the city, confused and afraid; or went along with their daily routine, seemingly oblivious to the state of the world.

It tickled his curiosity to find out who had done this.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Re: [* Really? A Truce? [Event] [P]

Postby Jaykobell » 10/20/2019 10:52 PM

He was waiting here to meet someone. That alone was nothing strange for him, but the person he was meeting was a surprise. Even more so by the fact she was the one who had initiated contact with him. Perhaps the state of things could truly justify their meeting peacefully.

He was swiping on his phone mindlessly when he heard a familiar voice speak near him.

"Blaine."
He turned and looked over his shoulder to see a familiar police officer looking at him. She stood up straight, dressed in her pristine uniform, an unreadable expression on her face as she stared back at him.

He would've expected nothing less. "Sienna."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 10/20/2019 10:57 PM

It was only silence that was exchanged between the two of them as they remained in their respective positions.

Finally, after a moment, the police officer looked away. "Thank you for coming," she said quickly, her eyes trailing to the docks ahead, where he had been looking moments before.

He blinked slowly, and then he turned back to his phone for a moment, to finish and close what he'd started. "Any chance I get to see my big sister," he said for a reply, turning his phone off and leaning against the bench. He turned to look at Sienna, a calm, small, but distinct grin on his face.

She glanced, and then turned to look back at him, but she said nothing.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 10/20/2019 11:33 PM

Seeing as Sienna didn't share the sentiment, he turned his attention back to the docks. "So," he spoke again, "are you here to slip on the handcuffs while nobody's paying attention?"

Her face failed to change at first, but her eyes narrowed but the slightest bit after a moment of thought. "No," she answered dryly. "That's not why I called you," she assured him, and finally, she took a seat next to him on the bench. For a moment, they both stared in silence.

"Why did you, then?" Blaine inquired, tapping a foot. It wasn't every day that a thief and a cop got to meet in peace.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 10/20/2019 11:52 PM

Sienna stared quietly for a moment longer. "This," she announced. "This whole situation." She glanced in his direction, angling her head just enough to see him a little bit better.

"You wouldn't happen to have had a hand in this, would you?" she asked after a moment of hesitation.

He blinked at the question, turning his attention away from the docks to stare back at her with a look of genuine surprise. "You do wanna try to slip those handcuffs on," he pointed out. "But tough luck: I don't have a hand in any of this." He crossed one leg over the other, arms hanging over the edge of the bench back loosely. "Nor anyone I know or work with, for that matter."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 10/20/2019 11:56 PM

The handcuffs joke ruffled her feathers, and she huffed irritably. "I wouldn't have to try and jail my own brother if you stopped doing what you do, Blaine," she snapped, in this stoic, serious tone of voice that she had, that barely shifted even under the pressure of emotions.

His only reply to her reprimand was a small shrug. "Different strokes for different folks," he pointed out. "And you wouldn't have to try and throw my ass in jail if you stopped being a cop."

It worked both ways, this situation. If he weren't a thief, she wouldn't need to try and chase him. If she weren't a cop, he wouldn't need to try and avoid her.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 10/21/2019 12:00 AM

"This is pointless," she announced with an irate tone of voice. "I already told you this isn't why I called you," she reminded him. He really did prefer to listen to his own voice than to the words of others, sometimes, didn't he?

"So why, then?" he countered. "To get some insider info? 'Cause if so, I have nothing to tell you." He brought his arms back from the bench and intertwined his fingers together, resting his hands against his stomach as he closed his eyes. He relaxed, taking in the breeze, knowing nobody had the time to try and catch him while this whole colorless ordeal was going on.

"Everyone I know has nothing to do with this," he repeated.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 10/21/2019 12:04 AM

How clear the contrast was in that moment between the two of them. The daring, firecracker brother who hid under a calm mask; and the cold, serious sister who couldn't tolerate nonsense. Despite their different "careers", their personalities had been doomed to struggle towards one another from the very beginning.

She watched the agitated fishermen by the docks. So many fish, and yet, their business had never struggled so much before. "And you haven't heard anything?" she asked, trying to pry some information out of her brother — something, anything. "Rumors, confessions?"

Blaine tapped his foot as he listened, the breeze brushing his hair. "Nope," he answered without a moment of hesitation.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 10/21/2019 12:10 AM

"The criminal underbelly isn't nearly as exciting as you make it out to be," Blaine said with an amused smile. "We keep to ourselves. It's not a busy subway station where we share exploits and tips. It's every thief for himself out there."

"Lest I need to remind you of this too," Sienna interrupted with a disinterested tone, "but I don't frequent this criminal underbelly you speak of." Even as a cop, her duties kept strictly to the open, and to the public. They had tried in the past to get her involved in double agent-style missions, judging her stoic, unreadable character to be perfect for that kind of high-pressure job.

And every time, she had refused. Not only did she dislike that sort of danger, but those missions were never worth the effort.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 10/21/2019 12:16 AM

"Right, right," Blaine agreed, letting out a small, quiet laugh. "That's it, then?" he added, opening his eyes and turning to look at his sister. "I don't have anything useful for you."

"That's not it," she corrected him.

"Oh?" Blaine stared, waiting patiently for a followup. He wondered, highly curious, what else Sienna could possibly want from her criminally-inclined brother that she couldn't possibly do or get herself. "Well?" he urged.

The hesitation showed all over her face, even though she was trying to hard to hide it. She avoided eye contact with him as she considered her options, and as she hesitated to answer him.

Finally, she got the guts to explain. "We have no leads on this case," she admitted. "I thought..." She stopped for a heartbeat, and then closed her eyes. "I thought I might be able to use your help on this."

[Color Harvested]
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate