If you're looking for beautiful seaside scenery, this is the place for you. Home to the world's largest collection of fishermen and fishing pets, this city is well known, as it provides much of Barakka's fish exports. You should try the famous Broiled Sea Scalla, it's delicious! (+2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Jawan, the Sea City

Failure to Communicate [Event]

Postby Indigo » 10/30/2019 5:52 PM

ImageImage

The Glass Library abruptly settled into place.

Neither of them usually felt its movements as such, even Alphonse, who had something like a direct line into its consciousness; one moment it would be in one place, and the next, another. But whatever magic was happening in the world outside had upset it badly and sent it sprinting across space, then out of it again, in a way that made Roderick dizzy. For what he was pretty sure had been at least a week there'd been a distant sense of movement, impossible to parse through the vine-obscured windows, what Roderick imagined it would feel like to stay belowdecks on a ship in a storm. Now that movement...stopped.

Alphonse looked up from the circulation desk and said, "Jawan. At least it's seen fit to give us a real door this time."

"Why, Alphonse!" Their friendship was strong enough, but no force in the world or out of it could make Alphonse tolerate Roderick calling him Al to his face. "Is that optimism I hear?"

"Don't encourage me. If I didn't have such a bad attitude there would be no one to balance you out." Alphonse unfolded himself from behind the desk and went over to the door, rearing back on his hind legs to peer out the lemon slice of a window near its upper edge, as if he'd forgotten none of the Library's windows ever showed anything real.
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Re: Failure to Communicate [Event]

Postby Indigo » 11/02/2019 8:32 PM

"We should go out," Alphonse announced. "See what's happening out there, if the plague of colorlessness has abated at all. That would explain why we've landed, anyway."

"Landed?" Roderick was only half listening; his phone had suddenly erupted with notifications. Several texts from friends, a missed call from his parents. Seven missed calls from Jules, which was probably bad, since she didn't panic easily. No time to listen to all the messages now unless he wanted the world's dirtiest look from Al. There were also two missed calls from a number he didn't—oh, yes, he'd had a date last Friday. He...probably wasn't going to hear back about that one.

"It seems like an appropriate description from what you described of our plains detour. I mean, we don't actually have a theory about the Library's exact mode of entry—"

"Is this the time for theory?"

"Isn't it always, with you?"
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 11/02/2019 8:54 PM

Roderick squinted at him. It wasn't that it was totally unheard of for Al to engage him in matters of magical theory—most of his progress in that area had come from spirited debate and experimentation he couldn't have managed alone, as a matter of fact—but the timing was unusual, since there was sort of an emergency going on. Or a possible emergency. That a week had gone by without their being able to do anything about it and nothing bad seemed to have happened probably meant it wasn't, really, but for Alphonse there were no degrees of urgency, only crisis and irrelevance.

Of course, Alphonse was watching him check his phone, and was familiar with his schedule. Maybe he'd made a disappointed face or something? Al's own face revealed nothing, and Roderick was pretty sure he would deny that he was trying to be nice if asked.

"I need to make a call," Roderick said, "but then we can go."

"It can't wait?"

"It probably could, it's waited a week already, but this is a lot of missed calls. I'm kind of worried."
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 11/02/2019 9:27 PM

Jules answered halfway through the first ring. "Roderick?"

"That's me!" He was not a little relieved. An event on this scale—if the scale was as large as he assumed, which was honestly a pretty big assumption, almost as big as the imaginary scale in fact—probably wasn't targeted at a specific person, and while Jules's friends were notable enough for the Library to know about them that didn't mean a whole lot for their level of notability overall. Obviously they had enemies, but those enemies probably weren't interested in screwing with the whole world just to get at one to two people. But some secret anxious part of his brain had emerged to raise the possibility that weird bad things would be weirder and badder in Bristlecone just because. He was glad to be wrong. "Everything okay down there? I haven't actually had a chance to listen to your messages, we only just got back into range, but I thought it might be important since, you know."

"Oh, we're fine," Jules said. "Basically. We had some minor personal drama, but I'm pretty sure that would have happened anyway. I was worried about you. When the Library disappeared it left its weird fake building behind."

"It did? That shouldn't happen." He squinted up at the ceiling and cocked an ear accusingly, and received no response to either. That meant the Library was up to something, which could be nothing or it could be disastrous; though either way it was best resolved internally. "We'll have to see what we can find out. We've been sort of in transit this whole time, pretty much? I'm not sure how to describe it."
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 11/02/2019 9:44 PM

"Oh!" She sounded excited. "I had an idea about that—" and she launched into it, about the Library moving as defense mechanism, trying to stay one step ahead from some powerful reality-altering thing that they had to theorize existed out there somewhere. It was very cogent, moreso than what Roderick had managed to piece together this past week while trying to bounce ideas off an uninterested, irritable Al.

"Something extraplanar," he mused. "Something powerful, too. That seems pretty likely. Bad! But likely." His eyes fell on a shelf that he was almost certain had been in a different place earlier today. The Library was trying to help. Maybe as compensation for whatever other thing it was doing, or maybe just because. It was...hard to read, haha. "I'm guessing it's not something you've seen in your research."

"Not yet, but I've been trying to get in contact with the people running this color-gathering effort—you've heard about that?"

"No," he said, and listened to the explanation. "Oh, I think I might know some of those people, actually! Let me see if I can pull a few strings to get you in touch with them directly." At this point he noted that Alphonse was lashing his tail impatiently against the door; he hadn't actually said anything, but he could wield a silence like nobody else. "I have to get going, but if I learn anything else I'll let you know."

"Likewise."
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 11/12/2019 7:43 PM

Alphonse hardly waited for Roderick to put his phone away before flinging open the door and storming out, leaving Roderick to follow with only a slight eyeroll; the anger wasn't directed at him, but at the world in general for failing to conform to expectations, and wouldn't last. Or at least, it would be subsumed into the rest of Al's habitual grumpiness.

Outside, things were not promising. The world retained its unpleasant grey cast, accompanied by a strange sense of darkness though it was clearly the middle of the day. There were a number of people walking around—they'd landed, as Alphonse had termed it, in a small commercial district between two restaurants, a normal spot this time—having apparently resumed their daily lives in the continued pall of colorlessness, but everyone seemed a little wary. Roderick couldn't blame them.
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 11/15/2019 11:34 PM

They had only walked a short distance when Alphonse stopped abruptly, as if he'd reached the end of a leash that was shorter than he remembered. It was so sudden that Roderick went several steps past him on pure momentum before he noticed and doubled back.

"Ah," Alphonse said. "Interesting. The Library doesn't want me going too far from it. It's nervous, I think. I'm not sure if it's on my behalf or its own, but either way..." He shifted position, struggling against that invisible leash, and while it didn't seem to cause him any actual discomfort, nor could he escape from it. "Yes. I don't think I'll be going anywhere today."
Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 11/15/2019 11:37 PM

"It's not doing anything like that to me," Roderick said, trying not to sound hurt. It would be incredibly silly to be jealous of Al for being magically restrained when he was free to go.

"It can't," Alphonse said, frowning. "Wrong kind of link. It doesn't want you going anywhere either, it's being very insistent about that, but it can't actually stop you. It's relying on me to do that. If only I were more persuasive."

"Don't be so dismal! You don't have to persuade me to stay with you when you're stuck inside the Library. We're friends. I'll keep you company."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 11/15/2019 11:39 PM

Alphonse looked skeptical. "I don't really want to keep you imprisoned in there, you know. Not that it's exactly a prison, but—you wanted to see how things were out here, didn't you? I won't keep you from doing that."

"It was more you," Roderick said, although Al wasn't actually wrong. But he wasn't the only person who could learn something about this situation, and at this moment he was the only person other than Al with access to the Library, if its current wariness was any indication. He and Jules could compare notes later, come to some sort of conclusion.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 11/15/2019 11:42 PM

Alphonse still looked like he was going to argue, but it wouldn't be a very good use of their time; Roderick, even through his less intimate magical link, could sense the Library's urgency now, and he didn't want it to get too agitated. It could have unpredictable effects, and anyway it was just mean. He walked decisively past Alphonse and back to the Library door, leaving Al no further avenue of protest. Maybe in a few hours the Library would have calmed down enough to let them back out. In the meantime they'd hunker down and follow the news from a distance.

[Color Harvested]

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate