If you're looking for a quiet retreat, this is the place. Run by devout monks, you will be welcomed with generous hospitality. You can even take the time here to achieve some spiritual enlightenment of your own, with the sounds of the rainforest as a backdrop. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Nu'san Temple

[* Soothing a Broken Soul [P]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/25/2015 11:11 PM

He took a deep breath; and then he exhaled, slowly. Another deep breath; exhale. He focused on his slow breathing, and the attention was slowly lulling him to a soothing sleep.

He'd wandered Evelon for some time with his mind filled with stress, worries, and questions. He'd been nervous and tormented for a while, but things had been a bit better ever since he'd found Nu'san. The monks there had been incredibly welcoming, despite his unusual looks — even for a Kuhna — and they had invited him to stay a while, to try and sooth his pains and his tormenting thoughts.

So far, it had worked relatively well. He didn't always feel like shutting off; some days, his mind just refused to let some issues go. At times, though, he slowed his breathing to a soothing pace, and he let his mind be lulled to sleep. It was to a point where he would just lay down on the grass a little ways away from the main temple, down under the trees and close to the rainforest and the small surrounding lakes.

He lay there, breathing so softly that he could almost appear dead. Even the flames on his tails glowed with little fire, his whole body relaxing and shutting down; shutting down to try and let his soul heal the torment away.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Re: [* Soothing a Broken Soul [P]

Postby SpringsSong » 06/25/2015 11:47 PM

Lanikai, 07769e

The area around the temple of Nu'san was not an unfamiliar place to the Preluhna, who had been there for quite some time.  She didn't know what, exactly, had drawn her to the area in the first place, but when she'd demonstrated her healing abilities--both with herbs and simply by listening--she'd slowly begun to realize what possibly could have drawn her there.

Lanikai had spent the morning gathering herbs, as she usually did--while she normally didn't have many people to render aid to that required herbs, she preferred to keep fresh herbs on hand.  As she was making her way back, she noticed--although just barely, and she had to look a second (and third) time--a faint, blue glow coming from an area that was a little ways off from the temple.  Curious, she padded over, her steps as soft as she could make them in the foliage (but not entirely silent).

When she saw the sleeping form of a strange Kuhna, she tilted her head in curiosity.  She couldn't remember seeing this Kuhna recently, but that was likely because she spent her time in specific areas of the temple, and only ventured from them when she went to gather herbs.  Concerned, she leaned ever so slightly closer, listening for any sound that the Kuhna was still alive.
Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind
Thinking I can see through this to see what's behind
Got no way to prove it, so maybe I'm lying
Take a look in the mirror, what do you see
Can you see it clearer, or are you deceived in what you believe?
Don't ask my opinion, don't ask me to lie
Then beg for forgiveness for making you cry
'cause I'm no prophet or Messiah
You should go looking somewhere higher

I'm only human, I make mistakes
I'm only human, I do what I can
I'm only human, that's all it takes to put the blame on me

Don't put the blame on me

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5883
Donate

[2]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/25/2015 11:56 PM

It was the sounds of the singing birds, of the dancing leaves, of the small lakes, that lulled him to sleep. An image of serenity, of peace, of a place almost too quiet and serene to be tainted by anything malevolent. In a way, it was the perfect place for him, at this point in his life.

His mind was asleep, but his body subconsciously reacted to the things around him. His ears would twitch just ever so slightly now and again, his tail tips would twitch, the flames would glow on and off, and his paws sometimes stretched as his toes grabbed onto the grass underneath. His nose twitched sometimes from the grass that tickled him; otherwise, he was perfectly still.

In such a peaceful place, any noise that wasn't from the animals or the nature around him were easily heard. Right away, he heard it; something creeping nearby, something coming close. But no need to be alarmed; the monks had promised that there were no big or aggressive animals or humans here. Another broken soul, maybe? Or just a curious onlooker?

He felt them coming closer, and closer, edging quietly. When they stopped, he waited for a few seconds before lifting his head just a little bit; and when he did so, one piercing blue eye stared right back at the Preluhna. The Kuhna didn't look like any known species, and those eyes only added to that.

But despite staring, he did nothing else.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[2]

Postby SpringsSong » 06/26/2015 10:48 AM

The Preluhna startled slightly when one of the other Kuhna's piercing blue eyes met hers.  She couldn't remember seeing any Kuhna with eyes that blue--or that had slight slits for the pupils (although, she had already come to suspect that he was not any known breed of Kuhna; she knew of many different Kuhna breeds, and the ones who had blue flame-tails did not have fire that vibrant).  She instinctively took a step back, slowly settling on her haunches as her tails curled around her feet.

"I... did not mean to disturb you," she said softly, one of her ears flicking twice.  "I was returning to the temple grounds when I saw the glow from your tail flames," she explained, her own tails flicking slightly in response.  Her wings, which had been clasped to her back, relaxed slightly, revealing the white-and-blue feathers that were common among her kind.

After speaking, she fell silent, waiting for the other's response.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[3]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/26/2015 1:06 PM

He picked up on her reaction when he stared, and it spurred a few questions in his mind. Had he scared her because of his overall appearance, or had he startled her simply because she hadn't expected him to move? Maybe both? Or did she react because he reminded her of someone or something? Part of him hoped for the latter.

When she settled down and spoke to him, his ears acknowledged her words by twitching now and again. From the sound of it, she was a female Kuhna who lived, or at the very least, frequented the temple. While he wasn't anti-social to the point of flat out ignoring others, he had a difficult time trusting others. "It's fine."

He hesitated to reply to her further than that, but if she had any association with Nu'san Temple, then maybe he could afford a few words with her. "Do I remind you of someone?" he asked, despite how awkward and unusual of a question it was to ask. "Or of something?"

He shifted in his position, turning around so he could face her more comfortably, but while still laying down on the grass. "I came to Nu'san Temple to find myself," he explained, although he couldn't care less if he'd made the other feel awkward with his questions.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[3]

Postby SpringsSong » 06/26/2015 1:27 PM

The first part of what the strange Kuhna said was not unexpected for Lanikai--it wasn't an uncommon response when someone apologized.  However, when he asked his other questions--about if he reminded her of someone (or something)--Lanikai found herself... confused.  After collecting her thoughts, she replied, "I... do not believe so, no.  I saw the glow from your flames, which reminded me of two other Kuhnas I know, but... their flames are not as vibrant as yours, and their pelts bear different markings than yours," she said.

"...do... I remind you of someone?  Or... something?" she asked, tilting her head slightly.  When he mentioned that he had come to Nu'san to find himself, she offered a slight smile, a gentle purr emanating from her chest.

"I have been at Nu'san for... quite some time, now," she said softly.  "It's... always been a peaceful place for me; one that I... keep returning to," she said slowly.

"You may call me Lanikai, if you'd like," she added.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[4]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/26/2015 2:09 PM

It was disappointing when Lanikai confirmed that he reminded her of nobody. No, he could imagine Ancient Kuhnas being of a close resemblance to him, but he wanted to know if someone, anyone, knew him specifically. If anyone knew anything about a black Kuhna with grey markings that had such piercing blue flames, with piercing blue eyes, and who had a collar and the mark of a blue flame on his right paw.

He frowned when at her response, but it couldn't he helped. "I thought as much." He paused for a moment, and then he lifted his eyes from the ground so he could look back at her.

"No," he replied afterwards, and his flat voice made him sound disinterested, but not menacing, "I don't know you, but I don't know myself, either. I think some others might know me, but I don't know who they are." Some words, some names, rang in his head. Memories of people he knew, and yet, he had no idea who they were, where they were, or how he was even supposed to find them. "So I ask, and I hope someone can tell me who I am, or what I am."

When presented with her name, he hesitated and looked away. He brought a paw to the tiny skull that dangled from his collar, toying with it with his claws before replying, "Thanatos. Thanatos is my name." But that, too, had helped him very little.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[4]

Postby SpringsSong » 06/26/2015 2:43 PM

When Thanatos confirmed that she did not remind him of somebody or something, the Kuhna gave an inward sigh of relief.  She couldn't imagine coming across someone that she had known, and then forgetting them completely while they still remembered her.  She didn't seem to mind the flat, disinterested tone of his answer, but when he said that he didn't know himself either, her ears perked forward with interest.

"You... don't know yourself," she echoed slightly.  "Meaning... you lost your memories?  Or were your memories sealed away?" she asked, her soft, yellow eyes gleaming with a measure of curiosity.  Several years back, she had been in the Nu'san temple when she and another Kuhna she had been exploring with came across a door that had been sealed... and she had broken the seal, however inadvertently.  When he spoke of others who might know him, but he didn't know who they were, and how he asked others in hopes of finding out who--or what--he was, she inclined her head in a thoughtful manner.

"Thanatos," she repeated after a moment.  "It is good to meet you."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[5]

Postby Jaykobell » 06/26/2015 2:55 PM

He let go of his collar when Lanikai asked him more questions, and while he glanced at her, he didn't answer right away. While Thanatos partook in idle conversation, he tried not to go too deeply into things. It avoided him getting attached to strangers, and it avoided him getting his hopes up for nothing. When he asked those questions, the majority of strangers walked away, giving him confused and baffled looks as they did so. The fact Lanikai was still here; and perhaps even the fact that she had a certain fondness of Nu'san, made it worth his time to socialize with her just a bit more.

"I don't know," he finally replied, even if the answer itself wasn't helping much at all. "All I remember is that I used to travel with a human; a trainer. They sealed me away. When I woke up, they were gone." He frowned again, and he shook his head. Despite his relatively flat voice, his voice was telling a whole different story. "I know a few things, but not what's important. I know my name, my species..." He trailed off, struggling to even describe what else he did remember. It was like a fog in his brain that, no matter how far he walked, still refused to clear.

"I thought the peace of Nu'san could help me remember." At the very least, it had allowed him to sleep and to relax; which did help in making sense of his partial amnesia.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[5]

Postby SpringsSong » 06/29/2015 10:09 AM

"I see," Lanikai said softly, after Thanatos had finished speaking.  To have traveled with someone before, and then, to be sealed away by that person... she couldn't imagine anything like it, although she supposed that there were situations where such a thing was, perhaps, necessary.

"Nu'san is one of the most peaceful places I know of in this world," she said, her tails flicking calmly.  "I do hope that you can remember... and that you will find peace, too," she added.

She looked to the other Kuhna with sincere eyes.  While there was nothing she knew of that she could do that would help, that would not stop her from at the very least trying.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[6]

Postby Jaykobell » 07/02/2015 3:04 PM

He wary of trusting those with honest intentions, if only because he'd poured his heart into his relationship with his former trainer and breeder. Those who promised help and who offered assistance; sometimes, they were in it for their own good, and especially after what had happened, he sometimes found it difficult to open up to strangers.

Still, Nu'san was a place of peace and fraternity. Surely, if this Preluhna did not share those values, the monks wouldn't let her roam the land so freely. At least on a platonic level, maybe he could bring himself to communicate with the pets of the temple. "It is the quietest place in Evelon," Thanatos pointed out with a small nod, turning his head to look towards the temple. "I traveled far and wide; I saw a lot of Evelon. I remember that. I am disappointed Nu'san has no records of me or my trainer." There were still many places to travel to, but Nu'san at least helped with his nerves and his tormenting thoughts a little bit.

He hesitated after that, and he pondered what to do next. Lanikai had expressed good wishes for him, and whether or not she meant them - it was still Thanatos's job to be civil and to acknowledge her kind words. "But, ah... Thank you," he said to her, even if somewhat awkwardly. "For your words. I have doubts Nu'san will help, but it has calmed my nerves."

He was pensive for a moment, and he frowned just the slightest bit. "What brings you to Nu'san?" Maybe he would learn something by interacting a bit more; at the same time, he was curious. This Preluhna didn't look troubled; did she just like the scenery of the place, or was it something else?
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate