Often called the 'Lover's Triangle' for the trio of waterfalls feeding in to a triangular gorge, the Idalani area is a picture-perfect place to spend time with that special someone, with a beautiful exotic backdrop and countless rainbows dancing across the sky. (+2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Idalani Waterfalls

Re: Slot 4: Toxic and Millie (Idalani Falls)

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/14/2013 4:04 AM

“Fine,” Kurohi muttered. “We won’t worry about any of that today. I guess if you want to have…fun, it won’t be all that bad. We can forget about training for the day. And if you still want to hunt for eggs after you learn to swim, I suppose we can do that as well.” he sounded resigned to his fate, as if he had a lot of experience with getting roped into things his family found ‘fun.’ He remembered one night when Himea and Hayate had corralled their older sisters into having a pillow fight. Kurohi had promptly fled to the forest to avoid it (because he was aware that hiding in the closet was rather undignified and they probably would’ve found him anyways). Their pillow fights became a common occurrence, and he was forced to find new hiding places in order to escape their version of ‘fun.’ He didn’t really see the need for it; after all, training was sufficient enough to pass the time, and it was practical and useful in the long run. But he didn’t begrudge them their fun, even if he didn’t like it himself. ‘Fun sucker’ was a very apt term to describe him, as he settled down on the bank of the pool, orange basket beside him, and folded one leg up to rest his arm on. He turned in time to see Lolita scoop Hayate up, and bit back a remark about ‘coddling’ being bad for the children, but decided against it; he knew his son was slightly insecure and unsure of himself, if only because he was the only male member of an almost entirely female family (Kurohi didn’t quite count, because he was a demon, and he wasn’t a sibling, but a parent). His expression softened slightly into what could’ve been perceived as a smile, even as he canted his head and watched his small family. He spared Mei a glance, surprised that she was taking off her mask, but didn’t comment on it as he returned his gaze to the water, glad that his family was at least at peace here, if only for the moment.

Hayate allowed his mother to pick him up and squish him (because he loved his mother’s hugs, though he’d never let on) and hung his arms around her neck, looking slightly unsure. “Are you sure? It’ll be easier for me because I don’t have wings.” When his mother set him down, he unlocked his arms from around her, and held out his feet for his father, who turned to gaze at him with a quirked eyebrow before remembering that Hayate had always had a bit of difficulty with the ‘shoe thing’ as he called it. Kurohi carefully unlaced the bows and pulled his son’s shoes and socks off his feet, depositing them neatly beside him. “It’ll be fine, Hayate,” he remarked, his face and gaze steady as his son nodded quietly, before standing up and squishing his toes in the soft, fine clay-like sand near the water’s edge. He reached up and took his mother’s hand again, nodding towards the water. “Can we just jump in? It doesn’t look too deep…”

((Oh Hayate. Y U SO FUN TO WRITE FOR? He's a lot more kid-like than I imagined he'd be. XD))

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 04/14/2013 4:37 AM

Once everyone was ready to go, Lolita only bothering to take off her shoes to be a good example for her children as Kurohi helped Hayate and Mei helped Himea, she cleared her throat. "The water here is deep enough to go over your heads, Hayate, Himea, so you'll need to be careful. If you feel like you'll go under, grab onto me or older sister. The water gets only gets deeper and deeper, the further away you get from the shore. When you go under, remember to hold your breath and do not breathe in through your nose, whatever you do. Start kicking your feet back and forth, each going a different way, and use your arms to paddle. You'll get out of the water that way, even if it's sloppy at first. When you come to the surface, blow out all the water in your nose before taking a breath. If you don't, you'll inhale water and it tends to burn. Himea, don't flap your wings in the water until I tell you its okay, and keep them close when you're about to hit the water. Mei, will you demonstrate?" They way she spoke, it was obvious that Lolita had gone through many training instructions with her children prior, including swim lessons.

"Of course," Mei agreed. Turning so that her back was facing Himea specifically and pressing her wings as tightly as possible as she could to her body. "This is to prevent any possible tearing or damages which, without our magic, would be permanent. But, even with magic, it's a very painful experience." She, too, was even able to give some instructions, these lessons well ingrained. The youngest fairy nodded, seeming reasonably confident, though it was really her excitement masking any insecurities she might have had. "Okay, keep wings tucked in and hold my breath. Got it."

"Don't forget to paddle," Mei also reminded them once more.

With her speech of safety and instructions done, and waiting long enough for questions or concerns, she asked the inevitable question of, "Are you ready?" In which case, she guided Hayate to stand beside her facing the water, and Mei and Himea did the same. "On the count of three, we're jumping in together. When we hit the water, we'll have to let go of each other's hands so we can swim easily. I trust you all to be fine, but we'll pull you up if you have trouble."

"One...Two... Three!"

With the count, they went for the plunge.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2824
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/14/2013 4:49 AM

Hayate listened to his mothers instructions very carefully; he was a prodigy, just like his sister, so something as simple as swimming would be easy for him. But still, he was a child, and the idea of being sucked into the water, where he couldn’t breathe or control his environment was frightening, and he momentarily balked at the idea of going in. What if he couldn’t swim? What if he couldn’t figure it out? What if he panicked? Taking a deep breath, Hayate squeezed his mother’s hand for reassurance, and felt the jerk on his arm as they all jumped in at once. He immediately let go of Lolita, but as the water closed in over his head, his eyes snapped open, and his body seized up, fear of the unknown taking hold. He’d had this problem when he’d first learned to control fire; the parallelizing fear and doubt made it impossible for him to control it until his father explained that he had to be calm and that the fire was a part of him and would obey his commands if he relaxed his mind. But here, there was no obeying from the water, and no amount of relaxation could save him from it’s cold embrace. He was more fire than he was anything else, and the water made him feel constricted, claustrophobic and frightened, something that could certainly be attributed to his inner flame. Hayate watched the bubbles above his head float to the surface and disappear, even as he sank like a stone and landed at the bottom of the pond, kicking up silt and dirt and his body frozen and unable to move. In his panic, he opened his mouth to call for his mother, but inhaled only the cold water, even as he sat at the bottom of the pond, watching with a vague sense of detachment as his mother and sisters floated just feet away from him.

Kurohi, on the bank, had been unpleasantly splashed by the waves from them entering the water, and he was in the process of wiping the liquid from his face and eyes when he turned back to gaze into the water. No doubt the children were enjoying themselves beneath the surface, as Lolita had been earlier. He was unaware of anything being amiss with his son, and simply leaned back slightly on his hands, watching quietly and waiting patiently for them to resurface so the training (Or ‘fun’ as they called it) could commence.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 04/14/2013 5:22 AM

After hitting the water, Mei was the first to surface, shortly followed by an awkwardly dog paddling Himea that was likely using more effort to restrain her wings than to focus on swimming nicely. She managed to reach the surface, but didn't seem to get all of the water out of her nose before breathing in, which left her in a coughing fit. Coughing up the water she inhaled, she forget to keep paddling, and began to sink. Just as she went under, her older sister securely wrapped her arm around her, pulling her back up and keeping her afloat. "It's okay Himea, it's okay." She cooed, patting her sister's back gentle until she managed to heave all of the water back out. Her mother was right, it did burn.

Once under the water, Lolita had almost immediately opened her eyes to watch over her children, and thank goodness for that. When she looked around and didn't see Hayate safely rising to the surface with Mei and Himea, her over drive mother mode set in. He wasn't anywhere around struggling near her, which only meant one dreadful thing. Maneuvering rapidly under the water, she dove for the bottom of the natural pool, and there was her precious son, frozen in fear, not even fighting for his life. Before she could reach him, she saw the bubbles rise up from his form, and she knew he made an even worse mistake than forgetting to paddle. Her wings propelled her faster than her hands and feet alone could, and she reached out of him, desperate to get him to the surface quickly. She pulled him securely into her arms and pushed off from the bottom of the pool in one swift movement, propelling them toward the surface faster than she did reaching him. Without thinking twice, she used her wings to carry them out of the water, into the air, and him to the safety of the shore. She cradled him in her lap as she landed, holding him in such a manner so that he leaned forward and patted his back gently and then harder, trying to force the water out the natural way. This very last thing Lolita wanted to do was use her powers to have to resurrect one of her own children. "You're okay, Hayate," she cooed, trying to be the voice of reason among the fear he must have felt, though desperate for him to quickly come back to his senses. "Spit out the water Hayate, spit it out, and breathe." Her words continued, as if on repeat.

Himea, just able to catch her breathe and find some delight in swimming, gasped when her mother shot out of the water like a cannon, and the same went for Mei. Instantaneously, the older sibling realized what had happened and pulled Himea from the water, too, just as it clicked with the younger sister.

"Hayate! Momma, is he going to be okay?" The little girl was on the verge of panicking, though Mei was just as worried, she assured her sister, pulling her back against her chest in a hug. "He'll be all right, but he must have swallowed water."

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/14/2013 5:40 AM

Hayate couldn’t breathe, and the crushing weight on his lungs was suffocating and stifling and he felt blackness dance around the edges of his vision. Despite this, he did not move, paralyzed by the intense fear he felt and wondering just how long it would take before he’d get back to the surface. His eyes were wide and blue and shimmering in the depths of the water as he watched his mother shoot towards him and felt her gather him up in her arms. He remained immobile, allowing her to cradle him up and out of the water, because mother made everything all right and in the back of his mind, the part that wasn’t stifled by fear, told him that she would fix this and make it better. The air was cold and stung his skin as he exited the water, and he finally managed to get his shaking arms up and wrapped around his mother’s neck, trembling from head to toe as he coughed and hacked and choked out the water that had been clogging his throat and lungs.

Then he was sitting in the open, where there wasn’t any dark, crushing weight of the water around him, and his mother was patting his back, the  thumping his back to get the rest of the water out and he spit it up, shivering as he wrapped his arms back around Lolita’s neck. He could vaguely hear his father’s worried voice (which was weird, because his father was never worried) demanding to know what happened. Kurohi was leaning beside Lolita, looking anxious for the first time in his entire life, and torn between tearing Hayate away from her and holding the boy close, and letting him be as he reached out to gently pat his head in a soothing manner. It was weird, even for Kurohi, to be so…out of character. But the moment he’d seen Lolita shoot form the water with Hayate cradled in her arms, he knew something had gone wrong, and his blood had turned to ice in his veins even as he forced himself not to drag the two of them onto the shore and keep them from ever leaving his side again.

Once Hayate could breathe properly again, Kurohi let out a small sigh of relief, taking in the boy’s trembling, slightly blue appearance and instantly warming his hands with his inner fire to press against Hayate’s back. “What happened?” he demanded, more of Lolita than his son, who was still shivering and clinging to his mother. “I thought it was safer without wings.” He turned to fix his daughters with a gaze, focusing more on Himea than Mei, who he knew understood the situation. “It’ll be fine, Himea,” he assured in a voice that was uncharacteristically gentle and reassuring. “He’ll be fine once he’s rested a bit. You should continue with your lessons, and we’ll look after Hayate. All right?” He turned back to Lolita and Hayate, his brow furrowing when he heard the boy mutter something that sounded like ‘Dark,’ and ‘couldn’t breathe,’ and ‘don’t make me go back in!’ His eyes lifted slightly to Lolita, uncharacteristic concern shining in his eyes. “What happened?” he asked again, quieter and more gently this time, but no less demanding.

((Lolita has ruined him. He's officially become a 'loving, worried father.' So much for the 'tough demon' image. Damn it. XD))

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 04/14/2013 2:45 PM

As the last of the water was spewed from Hayate's mouth, Lolita knowing that it was all out of his lungs with her senses as far as the functionality of a body went, a sigh of relief, too, escaped from her mouth. However, she kept the shivering form of her son cradled against her own body, sharing body heat this way and letting him know that he was secure with her. It took her a long moment to answer Kurohi, her gaze shifting to him only for a moment, and without turning her gaze to her daughters. She had heard both Mei and Kurohi reassuring Himea, so she was certain that she would be okay. "As soon as we hit the water, it seems like he froze. He didn't fight to stay alive, he just sank. He opened his mouth, and inhaled water." By all means, it should have been easier for one without wings to swim, so all she could assume was that, for some reason, he didn't paddle, he didn't fight to get back out of the water. It looked like he had resigned to sinking, not even flailing when he hit the bottom. Though, she also assumed that Hayate had opened his mouth to call for help. "He must have called out. I retrieved him from the bottom. But he's all right now, his body will recover from the shock." Though, even as she said these words, she had no idea rather or not he would emotionally recover. His body would, but with how afraid of the water he now seemed, only time would tell.

Himea stood, cradled in Mei's arms as they watched Hayate, both as equally relieved as their parents when he seemed to return to a better state. For Himea, her mother's words were shocking to hear. Her brother didn't even try to swim? It was strange and heavy in the water, but she had managed to awkwardly get herself out of the water long enough for Mei to grab her and hold her up after the fight. That's almost what it was, when compared to training, a fight for survival. Whatever happened to her brother, though, made her worry. It wasn't like him not to fight. "I... don't want to swim anymore..." Himea uttered. If Hayate wasn't going to swim, couldn't, or whatever, than she didn't want to do it. It wasn't fair. "Not right now."

In a comforting gesture, Mei soothed Himea's hair with one hand. "You heard Mother, he'll be all right. If you want to go swimming later, I'll take you, and maybe we'll get Haruka or Hikari to go." As usual, Karrin was off on one of her adventures, but that didn't mean that the remaining sisters couldn't finish Himea's lessons some other time without their mother, assuming Lolita gave them the go ahead. They all had learned to swim, and Hikari was just as protective of her siblings as Lolita was, if not even more.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/14/2013 7:44 PM

At Lolita’s explanation, Kurohi mentally smacked himself. He should’ve seen that coming; he was born of the flame, and his son was practically a carbon copy of the ill-tempered fire demon. It made sense that the water frightened him. Kurohi remembered having the exact same trouble when he was very small. Water had never been something he particularly enjoyed or liked, and the first time he’d inadvertently been thrown headfirst into a river by a demon he’d been battling, he’d been unable to breach the surface or swim, or…well, do anything. It was like a cold, vice-like grip had settled around his body, clamping down on him and refusing to let go. Only through sheer, fear induced panic had he been able to thrash his way back to the shore, but by then, the damage had been done, and he steered clear of all bodies of water from then on.

“This is my fault,” he muttered, his eyes narrowing. “I should’ve realized what would happen. I guess since he wasn’t a full demon, I didn’t think it would affect him the way it does me. I have the same problem with water, for the most part. It’s because of the fire inside of us.” His warm hands settling on his son’s head and back seemed to do the trick, and Hayate ceased his shivering, still clinging to his mother and looking weary, blue eyes half-lidded as he gazed, unseeing, at the rippling surface of the pool. Kurohi turned to regard Himea quietly, and shook his head. “It would be better if you learned to swim, Himea. Then we can avoid future instances such as these. And if your brother ever gets into trouble again, wouldn’t you want to be able to help him out?”

He didn’t want what happened to Hayate to happen to Himea, and he knew the subtle goading, coupled with the idea of helping her brother, might be enough to get Himea to learn to swim properly. Hayate turned his head slightly in his mother’s arms, and looked across at his sisters. “S’fine, Himea,” he agreed, his voice slightly thick. “You should go swimming…” Sighing quietly, he twined his hands into the ends of his mother’s long hair, brows furrowing. “Do I have to go swimming again, mom? I don’t wanna go back in the water…ever…”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 04/16/2013 2:13 PM

Even as a mother worried for her son, Lolita shook her head when Kurohi took the blame for the accident. "Neither of us could have known for sure what would happen." It happened, and there was nothing that they could do about it in the aftermath, but there was no point in placing the blame on anyone. "Although, its a good thing that we know now. I would say it was better now than for him to find out later when we were not around." If Hayate didn't try to swim, didn't try to fight against the darkness of the water, would he have if someone hadn't been there to pull him out? She couldn't say, but even the thought of losing her own son was beyond what even she could take.

Kurohi's words seemed to strike a chord with his daughter. Of course, if she was able to swim, then she would be able to help her brother in emergencies. "I plan to learn properly," she finally said, after thinking about her choice of words. "Only, right now, I'd rather do something that we all can do. Mei already promised to take me swimming again, since we can convince Hikari and Haruka to go with us, even if Momma and Daddy can't go at the time." Himea felt that it was a long shot to expect her father to let her go swimming without him or her mother around as watchful eyes, but she had every bit of confidence in her sisters to take care of her, too.

Mei nodded her head. "If she really doesn't want to swim now, we can teach her properly some other time. We're all pretty good swimmers, especially Haruka." Being that Haruka was the most "human," out of respawn fairies, she had more difficulty with her powers, but seemed to excel in more human-like activities, such as cooking and, evidently, swimming.

"Hayate, I wont make you get back in the water today... But if what your father said is true, I think it's even more important that you learn how to swim." Lolita hated having to tell her child that he should do something that he really didn't want to do, that he was afraid to do, but it would be too dangerous if he didn't learn and something happened to him again. "If we ever go in the water again, though, I'll hold onto you without going under, so you wont sink, and maybe you could get used to it that way." If she just floated around at the water's surface, hanging on to him, it might be an easier adjustment. His body would be in the water, but he would be free to breathe the air.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous