Once home to the Crystal Cities of the Hunter clans, Craiss Caverns is now a hollow empty shell of its former glory due to a strange misfortune in the past. Man-made tunnels now lead to this place, but tales tell of some never returning. (+3 Defense, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Craiss Caverns

Overcoming Adversity [P]

Postby SpringsSong » 10/13/2009 5:26 PM

... and overcome adversity.

The words that her mother had uttered telepathically to her the day before, the words that had rang like chorus bells of salvation in the Dusk Kuhna's deaf ears, were now but another painful reminder of the predicament that she was in, the predicament she'd been in since the day she was born.  Even as she walked blindly--literally--into the caverns of crystal, Nochina could hear the shadow of these words, echoing in her mind's ear as she carefully moved her cane from side to side, making sure not to step blindly into a rock.

Her cane bumped into a small shard of crystal as she continued to walk, her tattered black hair tied into a messy ponytail, and the knee-length dress she wore was black and covered in glitter, to look like the night sky.  Her eyes, which were a soft silver, were dull and blank--like they'd been since the day she was born.  She could feel herself bump into someone, but she did not hear their infuriated response.  It was days like this, where she ventured out of the safety of her trainer's home, that she was oddly grateful for being deaf.

She couldn't hear when people were angry with her.

[1.1]
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5888
Donate

Re: Overcoming Adversity [P]

Postby SpringsSong » 10/13/2009 5:32 PM

Luckily for poor Nochina, a human-form Kamo Kuhna happened to see the man that she'd bumped into, and noticed that he was rather angry at her.  He was shouting at her, but she did not turn to look at him, or even wince as the man raised his hand to strike her.  It didn't take long for Tai'uske to realize why the young woman was not reacting to anything that this man was doing; the cane that she held in her left hand and her obvious obliviousness to the man very clearly indicated to the apprentice doctor that this woman was blind and deaf.  He jogged over to where the man was about to strike the woman and intercepted the man's arm easily, glaring at him as he stepped in between him and Nochina.

"Give the girl a little slack, would you?" Tai'uske said.  "Can't you see that she's blind, and can't you tell from her lack of response to your anger that she cannot hear a word you say?"

The man growled and yanked his arm free, pushing Tai'uske aside only to have the lithe male jump on his back and pull his arms behind him, holding him fast as he delivered a swift punch to the man's face.

"Let that be a lesson to you to mess with a young woman like that." He snarled, turning to face the frightened Dusk female.

[1.1]
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 10/14/2009 9:57 AM

Nochina was clinging to her cane for dear life, her dull eyes wide with fear as she shuddered slightly.  She could tell that there was someone close to her; after all, she'd felt someone step in between her and the man she'd bumped into.  She could tell that the man was mad, and the other that had stepped in the way of his wrath.  All she could do was stare blankly in the direction in which she heard the voice, shuddering from time to time.

"Wh... who are y-you?"

Her voice sounded harsh and flat; it was monotone, and most people would have turned and fled at hearing such a harsh voice come from such a beautiful girl.  She held the cane close, wringing her hands around it as she waited for her savior to come closer, hoping he could communicate with her in some way, whether in telepathy, like her mother did, or some other means of communication.

[1.2]
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 10/14/2009 10:04 AM

When Tai'uske heard the female speak, his heart twisted with sorrow.  Her voice sounded like that of a deaf person, harsh and monotone.  However, what baffled him more was that she could actually speak; that she could form the words, even though she could not hear herself say them [except for feeling the vibrations of the words in her throat]. He turned to look at her and noticed the fear within her--both from the trembling and the way her blind eyes looked--and walked towards her, gently taking her hand and signing into it.

I am just a passer-by that happened to see the predicament you were about to be in, he said to her.  I am trained in medicine to some degree, so I could tell why you were not reacting to him without coming closer than I had before I had to intervene.  My name, however, is Tai'uske.

[1.2]
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 10/14/2009 10:12 AM

He knows how to communicate with me... Nochina thought, her hand stiffening as he "spoke" to her.  She gave a slight nod as she listened to him, tilting her head as he mentioned that he was training to be a doctor, as well as his name.  Finally, she spoke again.

"Tai... uske," she said slowly, testing the name on her lips.  "I... am glad that I do not have to try and explain what is... wrong with me to you.  You already know." She said, lowering her head as her blind eyes became slightly damp.  If there was one thing that Nochina hated about being blind and deaf, it was that she was virtually unable to communicate with anyone--her mother was the exception.  Aiessath, however, could speak with telepathy, so that was why she was able to communicate with her.

"My name is... Nochina." She said after another moment, offering a smile as she looked back up at him.  "It is nice to meet you, Tai'uske.  I... owe you for saving me, I suppose."

[1.3]
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 10/22/2009 10:21 AM

No, no.  You owe me nothing, Tai'uske signed into Nochina's hand, shaking his head.  All that matters is that I was where I was when I was, for someone else might not have been as caring as this.  I am glad that I was here and not back in Medicai...

Here, he shook his head slightly.  He hadn't been in Medicai for the longest time; in fact, he'd heard that the school had been shut down.  If he was still interested in pursuing his dream profession, then he'd have to go somewhere else, and likely learn along the way.  After another few moments, Tai'uske turned back to Nochina.

If you're not going to go home, Nochina, may I at least accompany you into the caverns?  This place is not exactly the safest for someone with your impediments to venture into alone...

[1.3]
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 10/22/2009 10:37 AM

Nochina listened to what Tai'uske said carefully, tilting her head as she held her cane close.  She shifted her weight uneasily, reaching out to touch Tai'uske's face.  She examined his face carefully, running her hand over his face and memorizing each feature.

"You can... if you so wish." She said slowly, her face trying to form a smile, but unable to, because she was confused about something.  She shook her head after a few minutes, her lips pursed.

"You say you are training to be a doctor, but you are as far from Medicai as you can get.  Are you on holiday, or are you doing an internship out here?" she asked.

[1.4]
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate