Once home to the Crystal Cities of the Hunter clans, Craiss Caverns is now a hollow empty shell of its former glory due to a strange misfortune in the past. Man-made tunnels now lead to this place, but tales tell of some never returning. (+3 Defense, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Craiss Caverns

A Scientific Escapade (Private~)

Postby Wyndhail » 11/02/2009 9:32 PM

Sera
and
Ares

A red glow moved along the cave walls, sinking smoothly into the lightly carved runes and causing them to appear suddenly from the near-darkness of the cave. It was as if by magic, though at least one of the Cavern's current visitors would've dismissed the notion of magic in general as something rather amusing. Ares, the source of the almost sinister red glow, surveyed the near-darkness as it disappeared in front of him with each lanky step. It was almost as if- and Ares enjoyed entertaining this thought- that it was crawling away from him. Of course, that was not true. The point was that strolling through a huge labyrinth of runes and tunnels and more tunnels was not the most delightful thing he could be using to occupy his time. However, it was not as if he wasn't excited about what he might find in here. In fact, he was absolutely delighted about the prospect of finding some sort of Akail. Ares had, in all actuality, been reciting what exactly he would say to the critter in his mind. He had already decided that if it was a Common Akail, saying 'hm, a rather bland variant, but still appealing' would not go over well with the reptile in question.
He had done a bit of research preceding his and Sera's little venture to Craiss and had learned a bit about the intricacies of both the location and the species in particular that he was looking for. Ares knew what both of the current known variants looked like, though not much about their inner anatomy. He wasn't too intent on dissecting one, though, because they were very interesting specimens what with their fluorescent lighting and multiple eyes. Ares would enjoy finding out more about what he hoped would be his new reptillian... 'friend.' And he would promise to it that he wouldn't do any messing with its genetics.
Ares had also been keeping track of their route in his mind, because he simply would not tolerate admitting to anyone that he was lost. That would be a problem, and he had no room for problems. Knowledge was the best defense, after all.
Sera was not anticipating this Akail Hunt's finish as much as her brother was. He hadn't talked to her much, which she didn't care about, but the darkness and the silence were equal parts unnerving. She had never liked the dark, and the crimson aura that illuminated the dank air was not much of a comfort to her. While Ares's mind was on the spoils of their 'hunt', Sera was mostly inquiring to herself whether there were any other creatures down here or what the Akail would do to them once it found them. She knew that her sibling had already assessed the results of some such conflict and that he was gifted enough with getting people to trust him (at least momentarily), but what if she got separated from him? Would he care? She knew she'd be terrified. And then what if an Akail came out? She instinctually moved just a little closer to Ares, and his blank white stare flicked over to her inquiringly before a smirk spread over his slender muzzle. A few sharp white teeth appeared from his mostly ink-colored face.
"Are you afraid of something, Sera? Nothing's going to come out and devour either of us, I can assure you. I would think you'd be a little big for one of them to tackle alone. Besides, I intend for this to be a rather peaceful confrontation."
He paused, turning his gaze back to the winding corridor that trailed before him.
"I would think you would stop being afraid of the dark by now."
Ares put a little bit of emphasis on 'dark', but his voice was not mocking. It was, rather, simply stated factually and perhaps a little wistfully at the last sentence. It didn't seem to matter to him what Sera had fear of, anyway. Sera thought of something to say for a brief moment. Ares clearly thought this meeting would go all his way, or at least he thought the probability was that he would meet an average Akail that he could smoothtalk into coming with him. That was what it seemed like, anyway. She wanted to tell him that she was not afraid of the dark. She was just afraid of what could be in it.
However, she did not say anything.
Neither of them said anything.
They simply kept walking, and no speech was exchanged between the two for a short while. Even then, it wasn't really directed at his sister. The Cursed Yonyuu had halted abruptly to peer at the runes on the walls. He had stopped so abruptly that Sera kept walking for only a few steps before she realized that the vermilion light that her brother set off was dwindling the farther onward she moved. The Chaos Yonyuu turned around to face him.
"Intriguing display, here." Ares's voice was quiet, and he was mostly talking to himself. He scrutinized the runes closely and attempted to decipher them. Ares knew a bit of the ancient language that had been written here and was fluent enough to decode the message- it was necessary for any ventures in here, he figured- but it might take him a few minutes. It was, after all, quite a bit of text.
"Yes," Sera said simply, agreeing quietly. Only for a moment did she look at the runes, and then her crimson eyes flicked over to the suffocating darkness that surrounded them. Couldn't he have picked a pet to observe that had less of an affinity for dark, unpleasant places? But no, her brother was often the adventurous one, and the notion of going out to catch a bunch of Mr. Wilson was not something he would stoop down to. In terms of 'adventurous', it simply meant that Ares was not interested in species that he had already learned his fill about.
Besides, those things like Lucain and Slynx and Kuhna were so boring compared to what could be found if you simply looked hard enough.
get a little closer, let fold
cut open my sternum, and pull
my little ribs around you
the lungs of me be crowns over you
the rungs of me be under, under you

ill cut the soft pockets, let bleed
over the rocky cliffs that you leave
to peer over and not forget what feet are
splitting threads of lightning over me

"Fineshrine" by Purity Ring

zoo pen sales
Wyndhail
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 222
Donate

Re: A Scientific Escapade (Open Akail Hunt)

Postby Azura Rayume » 11/14/2009 7:42 PM

This was supposed to be a wonderful day doing something Ula would enjoy. Laen had planned it that way. He knew the woman's habits and likes, so he figured a trek though some abandoned caverns would strike her fancy. He had been right, for the most part. That is, until they had taken a wrong turn somewhere.

He brandished his flashlight at the darkness, trying his best to illuminate the path ahead. Everything down here looked frighteningly similar to him. He swallowed hard, then glanced over his shoulder to Ula. Oh, she was glaring at him again! Why did she always do that? It simply wasn't fair. He was only trying to give her an enjoyable day and screwing it up. Did that really warrent such a fierce look?

"Admit it," she said at last, arms crossed over her chest in a very disapproving way. "We're lost." This boy... He always tried to help, even when she clearly didn't need it. She had to commend him though; he had actually worked up the nerve to as her to go on this infernal trip with him. Not that it had taken much to convince her. Craiss Caverns had so much interesting history and had always grabbed her attention. Now she had a reason to visit.

Laen sighed. "Yes, fine," he said at last. "We're lost. This is what I get for not bringing a map..."

"No one has made a map of all of the Caverns, idiot," Ula snapped back, then grinned as he flinched slightly. He should have known that already. Most people would have felt bad about making such a remark, but he had been grating on her nerves for a while and her irritation was showing though.

Boys and girls of every age
Wouldn't you like to see
Something Strange?

HomeRambleLoveDreamRecord
Azura Rayume
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1007
Donate

Re: A Scientific Escapade (Open Akail Hunt)

Postby Wyndhail » 11/15/2009 8:51 PM

Among the silence and the small noise of her brother reading his rune translations idly aloud, Sera heard some sort of noise echoing a little ways away off of the entangled mess of stone passages.
Her curved ears twitched slightly, pricking up and focusing on the sound. It was easy to distinguish that this was not just one voice but two, one male and the other female. There wasn't too much else she could tell from listening alone. Sera pondered her options briefly, but finally slipped over to Ares's side. He took little notice to her at first.

"The... Hunters are..." The Cursed Yonyuu was reading each of the crimson-illuminated engravings in a rather dull, monotone voice that made him sound far more bored than he actually was. Ares's white eyes glanced briefly at Sera as she approached him, but she couldn't tell and he didn't see any point in distracting himself from his observational work. He had not heard the people talking in the distance and perhaps this was because of his being focused on 'more important things'. So he would say. Though, Sera contemplated, what if he had heard them? He would probably berate her for reminding him of something so useless and wondering aloud why she was questioning his hearing. Something like that. Not too bad, she supposed.

"Er... excuse me..."

After the word 'were', Ares turned his head to peer at his sibling with an expectant expression. It seemed that way, anyway. Sera always thought that he would look better in glasses. Glaring down at someone seems more effective when you have glasses on.

"Yes?"
"I believe there are, um, other people nearby." She could still hear them speaking to eachother, faint snippets of mumbling conversation.
"Oh?" He turned his head toward the sound.
Well, that was a small relief. So Ares had not heard them. Before Sera could say anything else, her brother had spun around briskly and begun casually strolling off in that direction. She followed him silently, but made some bitter observations in her head. He seemed much warmer than he had been before, just by the way he was walking. That was how he always ended up acting when he met someone 'new', and even though he could pull off such a convincing facade of sincerity there was always something minorly unnerving about him.
Maybe it was the eyes.

zoo pen sales
Wyndhail
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: A Scientific Escapade (Private~)

Postby Azura Rayume » 11/17/2009 8:00 PM

Laen made to say something close to a retort about the map comment, but stopped as he realized that Ula was no longer paying attention to him. He normally would have been upset about this, but she seemed to be listening to something. Being his overly inquisitive self, he simply had to ask. "What is it?"

Ula batted at the male with one hand, turning left then right in an attempt to locate the source of the sound. Her hand struck Laen face, and he moved away from her again, nearly falling over a rock behind him. He cried out and flailed about in the dark, the beam of his flashlight dancing.

She scowled and grabbed hold of one of his arms, pulling him back to standing. "can you please be quiet for once in your life?" she hissed, clearly angry again. Laen blushed furiously in the darkness and was glad she could no see him well in the dark.

"You could always answer me, " he whispered back.

Ula glared at him. He was such a child in her eyes and annoyed her to no end. "If you really must know, I thought I heard footsteps. Now shut up so I can listen!" Must he be so bothersome all the time? Coming here had been his idea, so she had hoped he knew a bit about taking care of himself. Her assumptions were, as usual, proven wrong yet again by his antics. What a pain...

Wouldn't you like to see
Something Strange?

Azura Rayume
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Wyndhail » 11/17/2009 8:47 PM

Ares just barely suppressed a small chuckle as, while he got closer, the two he was approaching seemed to get flustered just by hearing his footsteps (or, well, pawsteps) against the cold cave ground. It did not take him that long to catch up to the two as they were being loud enough to be detected, though he figured he was also kind of obvious what with his glow and such. Once he turned a corner there was a light from a flashlight as well as, apparently, two people standing there and talking to one another in what would appear to be some kind of playful distaste. Or, well, real distaste on one part. Sera, seeing that her brother had stopped walking, quickly skittered up beside him in order to catch a glimpse of the two people standing there. As the Chaos Yonyuu expected, Ares smiled brightly beside her. It looked sincere and she hated to admit how convincing he could be sometimes. Of course, she knew that he really wasn't. That was, maybe, the most bothersome part about it. But she didn't ever want to have to be separated from the one person she really knew, no matter how unbearable he really was. Sometimes, though, she agreed with him, and that confused her. Sera was sure it confused her brother down somewhere too.
She didn't seem to have much time to think about that, though, before her brother decided to greet the others quite politely. How nice.

"Why, hello. Pretty dark place to be wandering around in." Sera was in the kind of mood where even Ares's voice was completely grating on her nerves. She didn't show it.
"And what would bring you two here?" His tail twitched, lifeless white eyes glowing faintly. There was a small pause as he waited for an answer. It was quite brief, brief enough for him to add onto what he had said. "Oh, excuse my manners. My name is Ares. This is Sera."
The Chaos Yonyuu nodded briefly as she was acknowledged.

zoo pen sales
Wyndhail
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Azura Rayume » 12/01/2009 5:45 PM

Ula's lip pulled back in a snarl as she found the source of the footsteps. She absolutely despised being snuck up on by anyone, most of all strangers. One hand toyed with the handle of the knife she kept strapped to her belt as she asked, "What do you want?" in a growl. She made to step forward, but Laen cut in front of her.

"You should be nicer to people you don't know," he hissed at her before  turning back to the new pair. "Ares and Sera. Very clever. I'm Laen, and this grumpy person is Ula. Nice to meet you."

Ula gripped his shoulder and spun him halfway around. "What the hell are you doing?" she snapped, her voice barely rising about a whisper. "Did no one ever tell you not to talk to strangers, idiot?"

Laen pretended to consider the thought for a moment, then replied, "No, not really." The female shook him violently by the shoulder, clearly not amused. "Alright, alright! I'm just trying to be friendly, like you're not. Besides, Mom told me not to get in strangers' vans or follow them home; she didn't say anything about talking to them." He grinned sheepishly and received a harsh glare from Ula instead of another verbal reprimand.

Wouldn't you like to see
Something Strange?

Azura Rayume
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Wyndhail » 12/05/2009 2:12 AM

Ares just blinked and flicked one ear at the way the two seemed to be arguing amongst themselves. Clearly it was a debate on whether they should talk to him or not, but obviously there wouldn't be much avoiding that since it would be kind of awkward to just let him kind of stand there and such. A glowing white glance was flicked toward the knife Ula was holding, but even though it was hard to tell where he was looking, the Yonyuu directed his gaze back up at Ula's face. Clearly she wanted to know what the two of them 'wanted', though Ares hadn't really put much thought into this besides a plan of research. Might as well answer anyway. The Yonyuu sauntered over just a few steps, but Sera stayed behind and watched him. The winged canine did keep his distance, though- she could be dangerous if provoked at all, judging by that weapon there and that attitude. Ares waited for the two to stop talking before he said anything, at which point the Yonyuu had allowed a predatory smirk to curl over his gaunt face.

"We don't have to want anything to approach you, do we?" Ares was using we, of course, as a reference to both himself and his sister, though with him it was typically 'I'. Wouldn't want to leave his sister out, would he? Of course not. "Unless, of course, you suddenly own this whole thing."
Ares nodded toward the walls as a reference to the entirety of Craiss Caverns. And, of course, the two of them did not own the place. Or, well, as far as he knew. The Yonyuu flicked his large tail dismissively, smirk dying down to an apparently somewhat genuine smile.

"Either way, if you don't talk to anyone I suppose you don't meet anyone. Though with that attitude I suppose nobody would really want to chat with you.~" There was a brief pause that consisted of Ares standing there smiling and Sera shifting her weight around on either pair of legs. Something about this bothered her, probably with 'something' being that person's knife. Ares looked toward Laen. "Either way, nice to meet you also. And what would the two of you be doing around here?"

zoo pen sales
Wyndhail
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Azura Rayume » 12/10/2009 7:39 PM

Really? He had the nerve to be sarcastic with her? Ula pushed past Laen, who barely managed to keep his balance from the force of her shove against his chest, and stormed to stand in front of Ares, anger shining in her violet eyes.

"You've got a smart mouth," she said with a sneer, running an idle finger over the back of the blade. "I hate that in a guy." She flicked a lock of hair from her eyes and grinned, looking very much like someone just escaped from an asylum. In truth she was simply attempting to scare off this newcomer or intimidate him at the very least. People barging in one her- even if it was just with stupid Laen over there- always managed to hit a nerve. Plus she had a bad feeling about this guy. Things would probably turn out for the best if she could make him go away.

Laen, on the other hand, didn't approve of her methods of greeting people. She was always angry about something, which normally turned out to be nothing at all. Her constant irritability made it hard for him to actually meet people, something he enjoyed. He wished she would just calm down and try to be social for once.

He peeked over her shoulder at the pair. The male seemed confident and undaunted, but his gaze was drawn to the female Yonyuu. She was frightened, though of what he could only assume. Probably Ula.

Laen trotted around both his companion and the male Yonyuu, stopping the sit in front of the female. "Hey," he said, a friendly smile on his face. "Is something bothering you?"

Wouldn't you like to see
Something Strange?

Azura Rayume
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Wyndhail » 12/10/2009 9:21 PM

Sera nearly jumped as Laen decided to approach her, but he seemed friendly enough and as such she wasn't really frightened by him. He did, in fact, seem concerned about exactly why she was seeming to be a bit scared by whatever it was that was that bothered her. Of course, her brother would be quite irritated if she said anything about him. As such the Yonyuu shook her head instead, flipping the mane on the back of her neck slightly as she did so. It gleamed with the slight red glow that her nearby brother gave off. She glanced over at Ares and Ula, just to make sure that anything she suspected could occur was not, in fact, happening. Sera looked back at Laen.

"... Um, no, I'm fine..."

She really wasn't, but as long as Ares didn't do anything stupid then it'd be fine. Well, actually, he wasn't that good at doing incredibly stupid things. He tended to just berate her for having something to do with them instead. By stupid she clearly meant 'something that would get the both of them in more trouble than they wanted to be in. Of course, he wasn't one to be overly submissive just because his chosen object of conversation had a weapon. The Cursed Yonyuu flicked one of his tails dismissively, peering at the knife only briefly before looking up at the woman's face. She had to be fun to have in elementary school. Ares didn't really fancy the way she chose to greet him, much to the agreement of Laen though the two hadn't really spoken that much just yet.

Ares wasn't that bothered by the crazy expression she was taking up, though it certainly wasn't flattering.

"You aren't going to use that, you know," stated Ares casually, nodding toward the knife that she had recently touched in a somewhat intimidating way. He didn't think she would. After all they had just met, and while she didn't seem to care about Laen's opinion too much, he would certainly not approve of this. Besides, he had Sera to run over and tackle her if things went a bit too far. She had better, at least.

zoo pen sales
Wyndhail
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Azura Rayume » 12/15/2009 8:52 PM

Laen cocked his head to one side, much as he did in his canine form, a lock of brown hair falling awkwardly over one eye. She said one thing, but her body language told her something completely different. He'd gotten good at reading things like posture and tone from being around so many people for so long, finding that the talent was helpful for doing what he was best at: trying to help. First things first, though. He had to figure out what her problem was before he could help her with it and since she didn't seem to be in the most talkative mood when it came to strangers, well, it seemed that "helping" her would take more effort than the usual "My-Kuhna's-stuck-in-a-tree" help he usually gave.

"Are you sure?" he inquired, trying his best not to sound prodding while still getting to know her a bit more. "If there really isn't we could just, you know, talk." Wow, real smooth. He'd really covered up the fact that he was inquisitive about her issues with that one.

Ula virtually snorted at the comment that she wouldn't use the weapon she held, which she took to mean he didn't think she could use such a blade. She could have gutted him like a fish by now, but that didn't seem to be the best plan of action at the moment. More diplomatic options were often considered the best, even if she was horrible at the traditional meaning of the word. By "diplomatic" she normally meant exchanging insults until one or both parties left.

Of course, there had been on real insult to retaliate to, just the one she had assumed he meant. So she stood there, growling while her blade caught the eerie light emanating from his dark frame.

Wouldn't you like to see
Something Strange?

Azura Rayume
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Wyndhail » 12/17/2009 9:15 PM

Of course, Ares had meant no such thing as 'you can't use it', merely that she wouldn't with Laen around to protest. It wouldn't be very nice, now would it? Ula did seem intent on standing there and looking annoyed, so anything he tried to do to communicate with her most likely was not going to work. Instead, the Yonyuu did a mock-yawn and peered casually at the person standing a few feet in front of him.

"So, what's so offputting about me? Or do you act like this to everyone? I just come along to say hello and you pull that thing out on me."

At that, the lanky canine simply nodded toward the knife she was holding. It glinted with red light, the color itself being one of the few things to assist in visibility that could be found in the caves. Ares was pretty happy that he didn't need to carry a lantern or something along with him. It would be too much of a hassle, and chances were that the light would just eventually go out and give way to choking darkness as they walked. It wouldn't have been pleasant.

As for Sera, she was quite happy at Laen's kindneess, but obviously she couldn't tell him much, could she? She had to come up with some kind of excuse as to why she was as frightened as she seemed. The Chaos Yonyuu shrugged, or as best as a quadrupedal animal could.

"Well, I guess it's partially that... I don't like knives? They make me nervous," Sera explained. It wasn't all that true, though. The problem was her brother, and while she found knives somewhat offputting they weren't the whole thing. She didn't want to tell. If she did she could get hurt, and her brother could too. Part of her hated him, but he was her brother. He was really the only person she'd ever gotten to know, no matter whether she wanted to know him or not.

zoo pen sales
Wyndhail
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Azura Rayume » 01/07/2010 5:28 PM

"Last time I checked I wasn't required to tell people why I don't like them," Ula snarled, lowering the knife. It wasn't like she was letting her guard down- something she would probably never do around this guy- and the blade seemed to be making the female Yonyuu more uncomfortable that she had already been at her arrival. "I have my reasons and am under no obligation to explain them to you."

Laen chuckled slightly, the sound meant to lighten the mood more than anything. He could tell there was something more to the female's worries than just the knife, but he thought it best not to pry. People tended to get defensive when you pried, and he wouldn't get anywhere if she clammed up on him.

"Don't worry," he chimed, glancing back to watch Ula's actions. She wasn't the best person to put in a tense situation like this one simply because she normally resorted to violence more readily than anything else. "She's always like that. She isn't the kind of person who likes to sit back and relax, and meeting people isn't exactly her strong suit." He smiled cheerily as if he had just made some joke. What an afternoon...

Wouldn't you like to see
Something Strange?

Azura Rayume
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate