Once home to the Crystal Cities of the Hunter clans, Craiss Caverns is now a hollow empty shell of its former glory due to a strange misfortune in the past. Man-made tunnels now lead to this place, but tales tell of some never returning. (+3 Defense, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Craiss Caverns

Navigating the Abyss [Hunt/Training] (Solo) [E]

Postby Pyris » 12/23/2015 12:42 AM

((Rated for Everything because it's safer.))

Hexle, the Concept Draculi
Only the moral have guilt.

Darkness enveloped Hexle as he entered the dank smelling caverns.  Too many different things grew inside the musty abyss that assaulted his nose, so he crinkled it in disgust.  His paws pressed against the cold stone as he waited for his eyes to adjust slowly.  Soon, vague shapes began to emerge into his line of sight.

With a deep breath, he let his night vision kick in before breathing in the acrid air.  He could see water running down one side of the cave he stood in.  Judging by the smell as he drew near, he would say it had a good amount of the green sludge typically found in consistently wet areas.  The tips of his toes touched icy wet water before he jumped back in disdain, glowering at the liquid as though it attacked him.

The Criass Caverns had always been a comfortable place for him to take a break from the world and think.  When had it become a place of treachery instead?

PC:57

"If I died today, would you remember me forever?"

"Even if I die...Forever."

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 280
Donate

Re: Navigating the Abyss [Hunt/Training] (Solo)

Postby Pyris » 12/23/2015 12:50 AM

The consciousness of spirits brushed against Hexle's senses as he pressed deeper into the Caverns.  How many times had he wandered these depths?  The surrounding souls that wandered the winding tunnels had always brought him a sense of ease that was hard for others to understand.  He'd always preferred the company of those long-since passed, anyway.  

Soon, small wispy noises tickled the edges of his hearing.  It was the faint giggle of a small girl; soft and barely over a hush.  Curious, he looked for the spirit it belonged to.

PC:58

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Navigating the Abyss [Hunt/Training] (Solo) [E]

Postby Pyris » 12/23/2015 9:10 PM

Serra Liune, the Biolune Serraptor
Forget not, the deeds you have done.

The smell of the Caverns often made Serra feel like she was walking through a tomb.  The somber air seemed to sink deep into her scales and fester a chill down into her bones.  Creatures never seemed to notice her when she was walking about in broad daylight, and these dank caves were no different.  Residents of the tunnels didn't pause at the sound of her claws scraping against the stone.  Not even the Rattegan scampering about the edges of the walls hesitated as she passed them by.

Serra had long-since forgotten how long she wandered in this unknown state.  She could interact with the world and at times it seemed like other creatures noticed her, even.  Sometimes, just to prove to herself that she was real, she would even pick up a stone and throw it.

Such a time was now, her claws making a slow, scratching noise as they brushed against the ground as she picked up the pebble.  She flung it at the nearest wall, satisfied with the loud noise it made as it crashed into the stone.

PC: 1

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pyris » 12/26/2015 8:14 AM

Hexle saw he thought must be the glowing runes the caverns were known for a little farther in the distance.  He walked towards them, pausing when he felt the brush of a vaguely familiar presence.  He was accustomed to this existence in some way.  He knew it was a spirit of some kind, but he wasn't sure how to describe the feeling that it's aura gave off.

Eyes widening, he realized where he knew the feeling from: his home in Pirrico.  He knew of a Serraptor that was sometimes overlooked by the other creatures in their vast expanse of a home.  He knew of only two other Serraptors of the tribe the had ever acknowledged her.  She wasn't part of the tribe itself, but was acquainted with one of the leaders who often watched her.  He believed that the other leader of the tribe could see her, but had decided not to acknowledge her until his counterpart had decided how to approach her.

What was her name again?  Pyris was always trying to figure her out...  Serra Liune!  Settling down on his stomach in his typical bored position, he allowed his eyes to focus on the unseen.  He sometimes, though never would he admit it, would sit under his shaded rock in Pirrico and watch the spirit do as they pleased.

Spirits wandered the caverns in many forms.  There were dream sprites, Werecain, Hallows and a couple unfortunate Kuhna, but no Serraptor.  His eyebrows rose when he saw her slip out from the shadows not in am ethereal form but a physical one.  Still, scampering creatures indigenous to the caves seemed not to notice her, as though she had some kind of magic shielding her from those less perceptive.

PC 59

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pyris » 12/26/2015 11:47 PM

The clattering of the stone was left unheard by Serra, whom had spotted a certain uninvolved Draculi.  His eyes always seemed to meet hers and she was beginning to feel that it wasn't just the feline creature glancing her way on instinct.  In fact, she would guarantee that he could actually see her.

His eyes rose to meet hers as she rounded the corner, looking up to her face rather than blankly staring forward.  They looked at her with mild surprise, but his level of interest in her seemed somewhat limited.  She supposed he was curious about her, but didn't want to put forth the effort of investigating.  

She guessed he had other reasons for coming to the caverns, if his expression was read correctly and he was indeed, surprised to see her.  She could see the soft glow of runes coming from the end of the cave she had been headed for as she idly noted Hexle's gaze had been similarly placed before spotting her.

[2]

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pyris » 12/27/2015 12:06 AM

He realized they were having a staring contest, so he stood, glancing back in the direction of the runes he had come to find and starting to walk towards them.  She would follow, he knew, but briefly looked over his shoulder to be sure.  He had come to see these runes, specifically.  He had heard that they were new.  Someone had placed them here recently, and he wanted to know why.

He wanted to see if they matched the runes before.  Were they the same style?  Written with the same kind of pasty glowing gunk?  If they matched all his previous studies, then chances were, the ruins along the walls of the Criass Caverns weren't as ancient as it was said they were.

[60]

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pyris » 01/05/2016 5:32 PM

Serra Liune understood the gesture, taking a few longer strides to sidle beside Hexle.  Glancing down at him from the corner of her eyes, she realized with a start that they held one somewhat obvious thing in common: they walked the same plane of existence.  He was most definitely alive, but they both moved in a world that was not quite in one or the other.  He was like an unfinished thought, or possibly an halfway completed expression.  It was likely that type of thinking that made him such an off-putting character.  She herself was not quite dead, but yet not exactly alive, either.  She was like a ghost or a spirit that sometimes could be seen, but often could not.

It was rare to find such a comrade; one who understood.

[3]

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pyris » 01/05/2016 5:39 PM

There were times when Hexle felt the presence of someone's thoughts, floating in the air between them.  The impression of an emotion not his own, or the whisper of a comment not uttered.  He could feel the hum of contentment wandering between them now.  She was comfortable with him; liked him, even.  She was relieved to have him by her side, which was a stark contrast to how others usually felt around him.

It was....nice.

She had come here with a purpose, if the connection between them was accurate.  She was looking for something, much like himself.  It wouldn't be horrible if she walked beside him until she found it.  He may even stay beside her after he found what he'd come looking for himself.  He wasn't yet certain.

[61]

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pyris » 01/08/2016 12:40 PM

The ruins were close now, she could almost make out the shapes of the glowing characters written neatly across the stone.  A barely there, almost metallic smell began to waft through the air; possibly one of the ingredients in the paint.  Hexle hadn't uttered a word, but seemed to have relaxed a bit.  She felt as though he were a companion who needed no words.  He seemed to find the true essence of a person without any effort.

It would seem that he had deemed her worthy of spending time with him.  For that, she was incredibly grateful.  Though few were those who could actually see her, fewer still were those that would actually acknowledge her existence. Her talons made soft scraping noises, filling the air with light sound.  Hexle's paws were silent, much like the draculi himself.

[4]

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pyris » 01/21/2016 7:12 PM

The metallic stench of the runes penetrated Hexle's senses in a way he knew the Serraptor would not understand.  His sensitive nose was nearly overwhelmed by the acrid smell.  The glow of the symbols scrawled on the wall was starting to make his night vision act up, so he paused to allow it to adjust.  A slower scrap against the stone signaled that Serra Liune had also taken a moment to gather herself.  Releasing a slow breath, he stepped up to the wall, ready to examine the runes.

Scrawled in a mixture of colors that were strikingly similar to the markings of his companion, the runes seemed to call at him, like the others he'd found before.  It would seem that whomever or however they appeared, these ruins were placed here the same way.

Yet, they were also different.  An almost inaudible sound came from them, like a soft song lost in the wind.  He strained his ears to hear it better, but only caught the whispers of a light, feathery voice.

[62]

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pyris » 01/21/2016 7:16 PM

The draculi seemed entranced by the runes on the wall.  He examined them so closely that she thought he might fall through the stone wall.  Hexle's ears twitched and his head tilted, eyes narrowing as though he were trying to catch something he heard off in the distance.  

It was then that she heard it.  The melody was soft, whimsical and soothing.  Sometimes her voice became so quiet that it was difficult to hear, but then it would rise again.  Serra Liune could hear it clearly; it was coming from the runes.  Hexle seemed to be struggling to hear it, but he'd caught on to it, too.  Whatever it was, it was connected to both of them, though more strongly to her.

[5]

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pyris » 01/21/2016 7:20 PM

The song got a bit louder as he focused on it, but he still had trouble hearing the soft tones of the girl's voice.  Serra Liune had seemed to hear it, too, though it would appear more clearly  than he had.  The only reason Hexle could think of for this was that the owner of the voice resided in the spirit world.  Which meant that the author of the runes was most likely long-since passed.

His mind raced to understand what this could mean.  Could he hear it because of his Spirit Sense?  Or was he connected to this strange voice in some way as well?  He wasn't sure he wanted to find out.

Steeling himself, Hexle took a deep breath, nose wrinkling at the potent metallic smell of the painted wall.  He needed to find the truth, even if it wiped away what little existence he had.

[63]

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pyris » 01/31/2016 4:35 PM

Serra felt as though the song was pulling at her, as though trying to make her melt through the wall.  Her claws reached up to brush the glowing lines across the stone, but instead seemed to press through them.  Eyes widening, she glanced at Hexle to see if he had noticed.  He sat with his nose wrinkled, eyes narrowed.  He seemed to be contemplating the song and it's meaning.  She stood there for a moment, fingers floating in a space that shouldn't be possible for them to be and waited for empty eyes to turn towards her.

[6]

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pyris » 03/10/2016 4:07 PM

With a start, Hexle saw Serra begin to press into the wall.  He lunged as she began to be pulled into it, a light surrounding the pair and blinding him.  His paw brushed up against something, but it was strange... warm.. It was wood.  His paw was pressed up against something made of wood.

Moisture filled his nose, and he looked about, despite still being fairly blinded by the light. The ground was damp, but much to warm to be stone.  The entire area smelled of greenery.  His only conclusion was that he couldn't possibly be in the Caverns anymore.  So where was he?

As the white spots clouding his vision began to fade, he took in his surroundings.  A thick fog clung to the ground like a misty blanket.  Sunlight filtered through the canopy of thick trees and it felt as though he could almost hear someone whispering in his ears.

He was in the Whispering Forest.  How?

[Hexle has left the Criass Caverns]
[64]

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pyris » 03/10/2016 4:10 PM

Serra glanced around, the white fading from her eyes as she tried to see where she was.  She couldn't see Hexle anymore, couldn't feel him around her. Where could he have gone?

Turning around, she could feel rather than see the place she came from.  It was like a ripple in space rather than a wall.  The dank, musty smell of stone and moisture told her that she was still in the Caverns.  Something told her that Hexle was not.

Pyris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate