Once home to the Crystal Cities of the Hunter clans, Craiss Caverns is now a hollow empty shell of its former glory due to a strange misfortune in the past. Man-made tunnels now lead to this place, but tales tell of some never returning. (+3 Defense, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Craiss Caverns

Re: I can't believe this. {private: Me & Moyra}

Postby Moyra » 03/03/2009 1:09 AM

He'd been in the cave most of the morning, music blaring in his headphones, the vibrations making the skin on his neck a bit numb. Veritas wasn't even sure how he'd gotten here, but it was beautiful and he was fine getting lost in the dark. Long as he had his music. A few weeks ago he had ventured away from the Sanctuary, feeling the need to wander the lands. He'd seen some fascinating sights, but hadn't seen many other beasts. He had actually wondered if he smelled at one point. Staying out here in the wilderness hasn't helped much I suppose.

Hearing a light rustle near the mouth of the caves, his curiosity got the better of him, and slowly and carefully he made his way toward the sound. Rounding a corner where a faint light was coming from, he spotted the soaked Hollowheart and approached cautiously. Surely the animal had heard him. Should he say hello? Unsure of how this creature might behave, he waited for it to make it's move. Standing stock still for the moment, Veritas just stared.
Moyra
You ARE persistent, aren't you?
Pets | Items
Keystones: 7
Donate

Postby Moyra » 03/03/2009 1:32 AM

He tended to have the worst luck when it came to interacting with people and beast alike. Looked like this encounter was turning out to be very much the same. It usually didn't bother him though, he was likely the most laid back and easy going animal in the lands. Watching as the creature came forward and shifted into a human form, Veritas was still speechless. It was one shock after another really, he just didn't know what to say at first.

As the heat was a tad unbearable, he took a few steps back, but not far. He had no intention of leaving. "Sorry for staring and being utterly silent. I tend to let others say their piece first so I can gauge their personality, if only a little. Good to know I need to be a tad wary of you." He smiled slightly, not really worried. He rarely worried in fact, his usual mood was an unshakable calm. Long as he had his music.

"I would be Veritas, and bothering you merely out of curiosity. To be honest I hadn't thought that I might be interrupting. Truly sorry for that." He sat down gently, the music getting quieter, though no movement was made.
Moyra
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Moyra » 03/03/2009 1:49 AM

Noticing the heat had diminished slightly, Veritas stood and moved closer, but only by a few steps. He moved more toward the opening of the caves than anything. It had been quite a few hours since he'd seen actual daylight. A first for him. They were still to deep to have actual light, but he was drawn toward the idea of it. "Indeed I am not looking for anything. Merely exploring. Ever feel the need to just get out and see things? It's lead me here. Where ever here is. Once I'm away from civilization, I tend to get a little lost."

Looking at the puddles of water left behind when he changed forms, Veritas assumed the Hollowhearts reasoning for being in the cave. "How about you? The rains must make it difficult to fly."
Moyra
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Moyra » 03/03/2009 2:09 AM

Watching the Hollowheart quietly, listening, Veritas thought on his words as well. He hadn't seen any other animals while in the cave, though admittedly he'd only been in it for a few hours. It would be wondrous to come across some new creatures. The danger of it didn't occur to him, it usually never did. He had never had to worry about it before, he'd always managed to find his way clear of any situation he found himself in. "I'll accompany you, I'm always up for some new sights. I think I may need to know your name before we venture too far. Can't always call you Hollowheart in my head now can i?"  

Standing, Veritas took a few light steps toward the dark abyss of the depths of the cave. As he turned his head back to look at the Hollowheart, his music rose in volume once more, his voice coming clear and humorous, "You leading the way or am I? I warn you, I get lost easy."
Moyra
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Moyra » 03/03/2009 2:33 AM

Falling into step behind Rotew, Veritas listened intently, though one might wonder how it was possible with the music streaming through him. Being born with a keen ear was often useful. He could not last long without his music, and thus had learnt to hear the words of people and beasts over it. The music always flowed, even if only in vibration form, tingling Vertias' neck. "You know what lurks down here? Since this creature seems so...dangerous, I assume you think you are stronger than it?" Thinking for a moment, Veritas decided to lower the volume of the music once more. If there truly is something that will see me as prey, I don't want it knowing about me before I know about it.
Moyra
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Moyra » 03/03/2009 11:29 AM

Laughing as Rotew spoke, Veritas started trying to explain the device on his neck, "Palowockee and Neowockee live in constant connection with music. What you call racket is what I would call my lifeblood. It's always on, and it keeps me as sane as it can. The few times in my life I've had to go without it were not pretty. Not having it changes me for the worse. These things are called headphones," he lifted a paw to indicate the fat end of the band around his neck. "They pour out the music in a constant flow. Don't ask me how, because I do not know. I've always had them."

Veritas followed in silence for a moment, his paws falling gently on the stone beneath his feet. As calm as ever, he said in an even tone, as if he had been thinking about it for a few moments, "I'll keep it as quiet as possible. It's never my intention to annoy. Also, we wouldn't want the Akail to sneak up on us would we? I certainly would rather not fight this unknown creature."
Moyra
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Moyra » 03/04/2009 1:40 AM

Veritas hummed gently to the music pouring through him, thinking on the question. He wasn't overly sure what happened to him. It wasn't a physical change, so demon didn't sound right. "No, I think it's more of a mental change that happens. I go a little batty so to speak. Music is a balm for my mind and soul, without it I am chaos."  

Watching Rotew snack on his rations was making wonder if there was anything he could eat down here, as his belly was grumbling slightly. Not being very picky as far as his food went, he often just made do with what he could find. Fruit, the odd vegetable he found, and small animals served him well and were often in high supply. The music lowered in volume and stood still for a moment, listening to the water flow beside him. He assumed it was a creek, and he wondered if there was fish. Leaning down to the water, he slipped a paw in, ignoring the bitter chill of it. "Did you want some fish? Or...whatever this is that's swimming past my claws?"
As he said it, he lifted his paw, a small water snake type of creature came flying off his claws to land near his feet. It was injured from the sharp claws, making it's struggle to get back to the water slow and difficult. "Well, never had snake before. First time for everything I suppose."
Moyra
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Moyra » 03/05/2009 1:42 AM

Veritas smiled as the snake slid down his throat since Rotew's reaction wasn't hidden very well. He must not realize I can hear better than most. I wouldn't really call myself a barbarian though. Opportunist yes, but never a barbarian. Oh well, if he wishes to think that of me, then he can do so. His grin widened and even a slight laugh broke out. "Suit yourself. He was a pretty tasty little bugger though."

Feeling the rough kick in the behind, Veritas' instinct was to kick back at him. Rather than do that, he bucked gently, much like a horse, and kicked Rotew in the thigh with the same force he had shown him. "I'm being more useful than you think, I offered you food, did I not?" And with this he grinned once more. "If I had any sense of him, I would let you know. Alas my nose is not that great, but my hearing is very keen." He laughed gently, trying to think of himself as bait. He feared he would not be very appetizing.

He was starting to wonder, much like Rotew was, when they might come across the Akail. He knew very little of these creatures. "You know, I'm starting to wonder. How might one find these creatures? Do you know much about them?"
Moyra
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Moyra » 03/06/2009 12:27 AM

Veritas grinned slightly, turning his head back slightly to watch Rotew rub his thigh. It was dangerous to underestimate something or someone you didn't know about. Veritas had learnt that lesson years ago, receiving a painful beating for being cocky to a creature smaller than him. How many years ago, he wasn't sure. He didn't even know how old he was anymore. He just knew that he had been very young at the time.

"Well, one should be around shortly if all it takes is getting lost. I'm usually good with caves, but I have no idea where the entrance is anymore." He did happen to catch the stumble, but knowing that it would be rude, made no outward appearance of it. Pride could be a dangerous thing when wounded. "Why stay in human form if the legs bother you so much?"
Moyra
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Moyra » 03/08/2009 12:51 AM

Upon hearing the Hollowhearts story, Veritas was suddenly glad he was in human form. He wasn't so good with heat let alone towering pillars of flame. In the back of his mind, he knew he should be more wary of this creature, but his mellow nature didn't allow for a change in behaviour. He tended to be quick enough that he could get out of an odd situation if needed.

When they got to the crossroads, Veritas stood stock still and listened once Rotew finished speaking. The heat in the left tunnel caused him to shy away. He didn't care if the Akail was in there, he wasn't going that way. Moving closer to the other two tunnels, his ears were not picking up anything yet. If it was down there, it was way down there. As to which tunnel it might be in, was anyones guess. The smell was a strange one indeed, and the crystals were what they were looking for. Either was a good chance. Doing a quick eeny meeny, miny moe in his head, he picked the tunnel in the middle. "Into the crystal cavern we go!"
Moyra
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Moyra » 03/09/2009 5:42 PM

Hearing the cracking of the crystals as they broke and started to fall, Veritas jumped backwards quickly and one of the crystals grazed his front leg. A tiny patch of red broke free from the scratch, though it really didn't hurt. He licked it quickly to clean it and looked up to examine the situation. The one crystal fell off to the side, where as the other fell right in the way, nearly blocking the path. "Still with you?" Veritas said in an odd voice, "I would say sort of." Looking at the gap left beside the crystal, he was sure if he was careful and squished himself he could fit. He peeked his head through and stared at Rotew. "Could you uh... Maybe prop that up as much as you can while I try and worm through?"
Moyra
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Moyra » 03/11/2009 4:17 PM

Testing his leg out as he was finishing speaking, he found it didn't hurt, thankfully. Just the skin was grazed. He stepped back a bit when Rotew said "watch this" because in his experience, when people said that...it didn't always turn out so well. Better to make sure you're a safe distance away rather than a foot from the person. He watched the light from the crystals change with a bit of awe on his face, not knowing what was going on. Something clicked as the crystal started to pool and shrink. Smiling, he stepped through the hole with ease now, saying quietly and with amazement tinging his voice, "Nicely done. Handy skill that must be."

Stepping forward, he looked up to the ceiling of the cave as he moved, keeping an eye out for more of the potentially fatal shards. "Guess we're going to have to keep an eye out for the Akail and for crystals. And here I thought it was just the Akail that might...kill me." He hadn't really ever worried about it before, to be honest. Never felt the need. He'd always been quick enough to escape. But that slash on his leg was proof that maybe he was slowing down?
Moyra
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Moyra » 03/14/2009 2:28 PM

Oddly enough, Veritas was far too laid back to give much thought to anything of the same sort as Rotew was. He analyzed things quickly, and took things at face value. He'd already figured out that this being could be a good friend to him, as long as he was cautious. He was obviously dangerous after all. He seemed to be putting up with Veritas' company rather than enjoying it or needing, and that was fine with him. He was the sort of creature who was happy most of the time and disliked drama. There was so much of that going on at the Sanctuary, that he felt the need to get away once and a while. Which is what led him to this situation. "Well, thank you for getting me out of that one Rotew," Veritas said quietly as he followed the man down deeper into the caverns. He hoped they would find what they were looking for, if only so that Rotew could say he did it. Veritas was just along for the ride, so to speak.
Moyra
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Moyra » 03/19/2009 1:59 PM

Keeping his usual light step, Veritas felt the cracking but couldn't do much about it. They were on their path, and the only option to get away from the danger was to turn back. With Rotew that did not seem like an option at all, so with Veritas not wanting to be alone for now, and not really concerned with the chance of falling into some deep abyss, he ignored the cracking and kept moving in silence. Nearly bumping into Rotew when he stopped suddenly, he looked around him at what was so special and his eyes widened slightly. "Umm, nope. Can't say that I have. Looks like we might be in the right place though? If this creature is fairly big he would need a home that had enough room for him."

Stepping around the Hollowheart, Veritas stepped lightly once more and found what looked a trail beside them, leading down into the cavern. He wanted to check it out, and without thinking much, he started down into the cavern. "Coming?"
Moyra
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Moyra » 03/23/2009 8:04 PM

Stopping a short way down the path, Veritas looked back at the Hollowheart. "Ya know I never thought of that. Maybe it would be better if you lead us into the great depths of the cavern. I'm not sneaky enough I think. I didn't even realize that they looked made rather than formed." He eyed the cavern around him, noticing the smooth lines on the path and the walls. Would the Akail have done this? Was it intelligent enough to make a decent home for itself? Or were there smarter creatures down here that they would have to keep an eye out for, lest they become someone's mid day snack. "Yeah, I'll just follow you Rotew, you seem better experienced with these types of things." He stepped aside, and made room for him to pass and go in front of him.
Moyra
Pets | Items
Donate

Next