Possibly the rainiest place on Evelon, Baian stretches for miles along the southern coasts. Thanks to the moist soil rich in minerals, wildlife here have developed unique adaptations. To travel through this thick, muddy area, most either take specially designed boats. (+2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Baian Swamp

The Rain on the Plains [self]

Postby crow » 03/11/2016 6:03 AM

A small ragged shape stumbled into a shack. It pulled the door closed behind it, slumping against the wall heavily for a moment before settling to the ground with a soft sigh. It was human-shaped, more or less, though hard to make out for the darkness and the wrappings. It was absolutely covered in cloaks and old scraps of cloth, to the point that no skin showed, and its eyes--- if, indeed, it had eyes--- were hidden beneath the shadows of its cowl.

It was weary. It should not have been possible for it to be weary, but it was.

This was why it had run away. It was not supposed to feel at all.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Re: The Rain on the Plains [self]

Postby crow » 03/11/2016 6:07 AM

It had no name, at present. It had, of course, an identifying serial number, but no one had ever called it that. It was merely... inventory. When it was sold, perhaps it would be given one, but then again, perhaps not. All of this was irrelevant as far as the factory was concerned. It was merely a product, and their job was merely to ship it, and to make sure it had no defects.

It could not remember where it was produced. Not there. Those people had nothing to do with its construction.

Carefully, the figure unwrapped its hands. It flexed them to be sure they could still move, curling and uncurling each individual finger. First the right hand, then the left. Everything checked out so far.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 03/11/2016 6:13 AM

It unwrapped more of itself, checking each part as it went to make sure it was in working order. The thing beneath the rags looked surprisingly human. There was that same sensation--- yes, this was right, except it was also wrong, and it didn't know why. The humanness, that was fine. The problem was in the details. The skin was too pale, and the hair the wrong color.

Nevertheless, the body worked. They had done such tests before, too, at the facility. The body was, fundamentally, not the problem. Water shouldn't have been a problem either, but its internal parts were still machinery, and the false skin was not proof from rupturing. It could not get repairs anymore, not out here. It would have to be careful.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 03/11/2016 10:39 PM

What it hadn't expected was to be interrupted by someone else.

Another cloaked figure walked through the door, pulling it shut behind them before freezing. The thing in the rags froze as well, though a part of it was puzzled by this. Did the stranger detect it only after the door had closed? It was pitch black in the room now, and only its heat sensors allowed it to make anything out. Humans shouldn't have been able to see in here at all.

It had been noticed, however, and there was nowhere to flee. A chill crept through its exposed limbs, and it trembled slightly.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 03/26/2016 1:29 AM

It wished to say something, but it could not. It had not spoken since the escape, and words did not come easily to it. It resisted the urge to touch its own throat; it did not know, truly, whether it could speak anymore. There had been no time to assess the damage.

But the other cloaked figure did not scream or flinch or advance in threat. It merely lowered its hands slowly, as if facing a skittish animal. "You..." The thing in rags went still again as it spoke, but its voice was soft, almost soothing. "You don't mean me any harm, do you?"
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 03/26/2016 1:35 AM

Slowly, the thing in rags shook its head. The cloaked figure's eyes brightened, creasing around the edges as if in a smile. His hands went up again, but only to tug down the hood of his cloak and the scarf around his mouth. White hair spilled down his shoulders, pale against the dark shade of his skin. He was smiling, a gentle dreamer's smile. His face was slender, angular, and two long ears curved up from his head, tapering to fine points.

The creature in rags had never seen his like.

"Ah, good," said the man--- or perhaps it was not a man after all. The creature hardly knew what it was.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 03/29/2016 10:07 PM

What puzzled it further, however, was his tone of relief. It was as if he had been expecting--- what? The creature hardly knew. "I thought you would be afraid," said the man. "You can see me, yes?" He waited expectantly, and after a pause, the creature nodded once, hesitantly. "Do you know what I am?" he asked. This time, the creature shook its head.

"Ah," said the man. There was something in that sound that the creature couldn't read. "Well, perhaps that is for the best." He looked as if he wished to say more, but thought better of it, and fell silent.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 03/29/2016 10:11 PM

The creature thought that would be the end of that. It hardly knew what to do with itself. It was still raining, and its own wrappings wouldn't have held up for much longer, haphazard as they were. It dared not brave the outdoors again, not until the rain had abated. But could it have stayed? The man did not seem alarmed, yet the creature still felt uneasy.

This was not in the least helped when the man addressed him again. "Is this your home?" he asked. The creature shook his head. "Ah, so you are seeking shelter here, as I am... The weather does not agree with you?" This time the creature nodded.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 03/29/2016 10:20 PM

The man smiled and said, "I must introduce myself--- you may call me Mooneyes. I confess it is not much of a name, but the alternative was rather less appealing." He chuckled slightly at this, and at last the creature began to really feel that he meant it no threat. Its grip on its rags loosened incrementally.

The man turned his gaze upon it, and the creature saw how he had earned himself such a name. His eyes, upon closer inspection, were a pale silver, so light as to seem almost glowing in the darkness. "What is your name?" he asked, but the creature could only shake its head again. It raised one hand, trembling slightly, to the ruins of its throat.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 03/29/2016 10:29 PM

"Ah," said the man. "I'm sorry." The creature hardly knew how to respond to that, so it shook its head, but the motion was small and slow.

Hesitantly, the man--- Mooneyes--- said, "Is there... anything I could do to help?" The creature began to shake its head no, but paused, considering him again. No one had ever asked it such a thing before. Can I help? It was not a thing to be helped. It was merely...

Did he mean it? The creature had no way to ask. Now its lack of voice pained it more than ever. If he really meant to help, they could have...
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate