Possibly the rainiest place on Evelon, Baian stretches for miles along the southern coasts. Thanks to the moist soil rich in minerals, wildlife here have developed unique adaptations. To travel through this thick, muddy area, most either take specially designed boats. (+2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Baian Swamp

Re: Searching for Answers [Self][Training]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/01/2016 7:33 PM

"Excellent; I'll begin rigging the net at once," the woman said, turning to inspect the vines. The woman grinned as she spoke, and there was something distinctly off about her grin. Now that Cvetka looked closer, she was sure she had never seen any of the other humans smile like that - but then again, she had never seen them smile at all.

Cvetka watched, fascinated, as the woman began weaving and knotting the vines together into a tight netted platform, and she couldn't quite figure out how she managed to keep all of the knots on one side, leaving the other fairly smooth. For the first time in her existence, she felt discontented with her body and wished for opposable thumbs, so as to be able to do the same.

[11]
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/01/2016 7:39 PM

Rigging the net up properly took no time at all, though they had been quite unable to lift the heavy boughs that lay around the base of the tree trunk. In the end Cvetka had had to dig a hole underneath them in order to pass the rope under them, and she had once again been grateful for her own body, as the woman would not have been able to accomplish such a task. With the ropes secured thusly (and the boughs buried for good measure), the net was pulled taut into a strong platform, raised slightly below the woman's head.

"Excellent, now we just need some large, dry, flat leaves to spread out over the net itself, and we'll be quite comfortable" the woman said, as she gazed at the vine platform with satisfaction. She had woven the vines so closely together with the ropes that it resembled the side of a wicker basket, and did not curve or bend as much as Cvetka had thought it would originally.

[12]
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/01/2016 7:42 PM

I wonder how she plans to get onto that, came the oozing tickle in Cvetka's mind; perhaps she'll finally reveal herself.

Not now; I'm curious about it too, but we need to build a roof thought Cvetka, a frown marring her features. Noticing the woman was looking at her oddly, she hastened to excuse her expression.

"I was wondering how we're going to roof the top of the trunk" Cvetka told her, looking up towards the gaping hole where the sky was clearly visible. "I saw some large, flat leaves that would probably do the trick if we can get them up there, but I'm not sure either of us can make it."

[13]
{6}

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/01/2016 7:47 PM

I can help you came the oozing voice, and Cvetka felt her claws elongate. She grimaced, wincing at the extra pressure, but they were definitely more useful now. "Maybe I can" she mused, looking to see the woman contemplating her with a thoughtful expression.

The woman noticed the meaning behind Cvetka's eyes, and nodded her silent agreement. They would have to have a proper heart-to-heart talk, but right now they had other priorities.

[14]
{7}

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/01/2016 7:50 PM

Cvetka climbed up the outside of the trunk clumsily, trying to adjust to the new feeling of climbing like a cat. She shuddered when she looked down; the ground looked like it was very far down, but she hadn't wanted to risk damaging the inside of the trunk or the vine platform if she fell.

Don't worry, you'll heal very quickly the demon oozed into her mind. That's not a comfort, she thought to it, and she could feel it chuckle again. She gritted her teeth, and climbed another foot up the tree; so far so good, she thought.

{8}

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/02/2016 7:28 AM

She finally made it to the top, and sat on a branch panting, keeping her claws dug into the bark to keep her steady. After what felt like forever, she stood up and had a good look at the hole.

Meanwhile, back on the ground, the woman was busily gathering the large leaves Cvetka had shown her. When her demon-bond assured her she had enough, she sat down and began sewing them together into a canopy. The thick leaves wouldn't tear from the stitches, but as long as she sewed them the way her demon told her, they would keep out the rain - or so she hoped.

[15]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/02/2016 7:34 AM

The canopy itself was made of three levels, which were each offset so that the stitches were in the centre of the previous layer's leaves. A final leaf was stitched onto the centre at the top to hold it all together and add strength to the centre, and the stitches attached to it were rubbed with a bit of wax from one of the candles she had packed.

"How's it looking up there?" she called out, wiping the sweat from her brow. "High" came the reply; Cvetka did not like being up here, but it had to be done. The woman chuckled, and called out again; "Any idea how we're going to fix this up there?"

[16]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/02/2016 7:38 AM

Cvetka made a noncommittal noise as she had a good look at the top of the hollow tree. There were a few thick branches like the one she was sat on sticking out around the broken hole, but it would require her to climb sideways without knocking off the canopy or falling to the ground. She shuddered at that thought, but prepared herself; they didn't have a lot of options, after all.

The length of rope they had saved would come in useful sooner than they had expected, it seemed. Cvetka had tied it to herself and carried it up, with the end dangling down the side of the trunk; now, she dropped the other end so that the rope hung over the branch, forming a pulley.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/02/2016 7:44 AM

The woman had already tied the canopy to the end of the rope that dangled, along with more vines that matched the ones she had woven the sleeping platform from. Now, she grabbed the end of the rope that Cvetka had dropped, and began to pull, causing the canopy to rise into the tree branches.

When it reached her, Cvetka had a hard time deciding how to go about laying it over the hole. Once again, she wished she had the woman's opposable thumbs. Be careful what you wish for slithered into her mind, and she shuddered, before focusing on the task at hand.

[17]
{9}

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/02/2016 7:50 AM

Using her mouth and front paws, she was finally able to spread the canopy out over the hole; it was big enough to cover it with about a foot of leaf dangling down the outside, but now the hard bit began.

Cvetka secured the leaf closest to her to the branch she sat on with one of the vines by threading it through the slit the woman had made in the point of the leaf. The leaves were thick and leather-like, with a waxy finish, so she wasn't worried about them tearing. Next, she hung the remaining vines around her neck, and began to climb carefully around the side of the trunk to the next branch, desperately trying not to look down.

Why all the fuss when you're doing fine? her demon asked, clearly amused by her distress.

{10}

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/02/2016 7:55 AM

Cvetka growled, and did her best to ignore her demon's amused chuckling. As she climbed, she passed leaves that were not going to be joined to branches, and she pulled the vine that was attached to the previous branch through the holes in them. Finally, she reached the second branch, and tied the vine she was holding to it securely before sitting on it to rest for a moment.

When she had had a few minutes to gather herself, she tied the next vine to the branch and ran it through the leaf in front of her as she had done to the last one. The vine was tied back down to the branch, and the end of it was held in her mouth, to be threaded through the leaves between this branch and the next; by doing it this way, all of the leaves on the bottom layer of the canopy were held to the tree securely, and would not allow the canopy to be blown off by the wind, or let any wind or rain in under the canopy itself.

{11}

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/02/2016 7:59 AM

The two upper layers of the canopy were left free, and were held securely by the stitching between them. This would allow rain to drip off the sides, without coming into the hollow trunk.

Cvetka continued working her way around the tree until all of the leaves had been bound, finally tying off the last vine to the branch she had started at. She stopped to check that she hadn't missed anything, before facing the thought she had been deliberately ignoring whilst she worked.

That's right, her demon said in her mind, now you've got to get down, and you will have to look down this time it chuckled, amused at her distress.

{12}

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/02/2016 8:03 AM

Cvetka gritted her teeth; it's the same as going up, she thought to herself and her demon; it's just one paw at a time. Carefully, she made her way down the tree, stopping at every branch she passed to catch her breath.

Meanwhile on the ground, the woman had busied herself with gathering more of those large leather-like leaves to flesh out their sleeping platform, as she could not bear to watch the shielupe climbing. The platform itself was looking quite good, but it would be very firm; they would need to pad it out with something, but what could be found in a swamp?

Hearing Cvetka call out, she turned and made her way out of the trunk to see what was going on.

[18]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/02/2016 8:06 AM

Cvetka was finally on the ground, and had pulled the rope down to follow her - which had landed on her, tangling into a large mess which she was trying to get out of. The woman laughed when she saw the predicament she was in, which only served to further sully Cvetka's mood.

"If you're quite finished, I could use some help" she said sulkily, gesturing to the coils of rope with her snout. The woman grinned at her, but moved towards her to untangle it. "Sorry" she said, "but it was very funny - I was worried something had happened to you."

[19]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/02/2016 8:10 AM

Cvetka didn't bother to reply, feeling too embarrassed that she needed to rely on this woman to free her from a rope when she had just erected a roof at the top of a tree on her own.

Ah yes, but this requires - what is it again, opposable thumbs? her demon mocked, clearly amused at her expense. I told you not to worry about falling it said, and it sounded very smug to the sulking shielupe.

"There" said the woman, removing the last of the rope from Cvetka and coiling it around her arm. "I'll put this inside; why don't you have a look around, and see if you can find anything for us to make the bed softer?"

[20]
{13}

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext