A dense jungle full of surprises and new places to explore! Scientists are still trying to document species found here, while travelers flock here for a sense of adventure. Be sure to make lots of preparations though, as it can be quite dangerous! (+3 Precision, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tengel Rainforest

The first encounter! (Private Ningai and reido)

Postby Ningai » 12/30/2009 1:42 PM

Image Chaos Magistrey

He was flying over the rainforest, on his way back from a long journey. He loved to explore, but he also loved to enjoy staying around his home and finding new tunnels and caves. He landed by an old tree about 500 years old. It had many branches and a hole in between two. He was about to go in and rest when he thought he heard a noise! "Who's there?" He questioned in a loud demanding voice.
You're not afraid of the dark are you?

"I'm not afraid of dying." "How do you know? You've never tried it before!"

"I'm the best at what I do, but what I do isn't very nice."

"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villan."

"You alone are trying to bring down a monster. As a cop that's impossible. You must become a monster."

Ningai
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items

Re: The first encounter! (Private Ningai and reido)

Postby reido » 12/30/2009 9:13 PM

Image Dreamsnare Beetanke

It was not as though Bakari couldn't fly. No, like any self-respecting Beetanke, he had taken his first leap into the stifling jungle air not a day after he was born.

He just didn't like it.

Maybe it was the fact that his wing coordination was lacking, or perhaps it was related to his chronic fear of heights. Either way, the majority of his days were spent combing the forest floor for food and burrowing under the roots of trees for shelter. To others of his kind, his position was one of shame and disgrace, but he just shook these thoughts off nonchalantly. In his opinion, life on the forest floor was one to be desired. Easy prey and the safety of an underground den: who could ask for more?

On this particular day, Bakari was preparing to face his fear. Towering high above him was an old jungle tree, and sitting on the branch of that tree was a nest. A kinkajou nest. Bakari loved kinkajous. They were by far his favourite food, but it was a rare occurence for one to travel to the jungle floor where he lived. So, today, his grumbling stomach (and keen senses) led him to this particular tree. Not willing to back down from a challenge, he was determined to reach that nest. Without flying. Had he been someone else, Bakari could have just easily launched himself off the ground and swooped down upon the unsuspecting mammal, earning himself a satisfying snack.

But he was still unwilling to fly. And he was not about to test his underused wings in such a situation. So, he began to climb, his razor sharp talons easily pulling him up the side of the tree. Glancing up, he counted the branches until he reached the nest. Six left. Slowing down his ascent, he crept slowly towards his destination until suddenly, he heard the snap of a branch. Looking down, his eyes widened as he saw a crack run along the limb he was perched on. The forest seemed to go silent, and his prey, the young kinkajou, froze, its ears perked up and its body tense. The mammals eyes darted back and forth, searching for its assailant until they locked onto Bakari.

Busted... He thought, sighing as his hard earned meal scampered away.

He slid back on the branch, dejected, and was about to proceed to descend the massive tree until a shape above him caught his eye. He looked up and stepped back in shock as the shadowed being above him moved into view...
reido
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 352
Donate

Postby Ningai » 12/30/2009 9:35 PM

Kast creapt out of the hole in which he lived, but still hidden in the trees shadow. He was kind of hungry from his last journey and he began to think, "If I can get easy food, why not take it!" Kast looked out of the shadow just enough to see the creature on a branch below. He couldn't make out its features and from where he was, it kind of looked like a mouse or something around the same size.
Kast flared out his wings in the shadow, streatching out his muciles as he got hungrier. Sudenly like a flash of thunder he swooped out of the darkness right towards the creature and before they knew, the creature was in Kastiel's grasp! The talons were wrapped around the creature just hard enough to hold it in!

"You alone are trying to bring down a monster. As a cop that's impossible. You must become a monster."

Ningai
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items

Postby reido » 12/30/2009 10:03 PM

Bakari let out a gasp of shock as the figure's talons wrapped firmly around him. Struggling madly, he tried to force his way out of the creature's grasp, but it was in vain. After one final feeble attempt to loosen himself, he ceased his stuggles and instead gazed up at his attacker.

I knew I should never have left the ground.. He scolded himself inwardly. Looking up, he was unable to meet the peircing eyes of the bird above him. Instead, he lowered his gaze and managed to stutter, "I-I'm sorry, I had n-no idea this was your lair."
reido
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Ningai » 12/30/2009 10:13 PM

Surprised, Kast landed on the rearest branch and looked at the creature which he had captured! The creature was still firmly grasped inbetween his talon and the tree.
"What did you say little creature? Hold on what are you anyways?" Commented Kast as he looked strangely at the creture with a slight tilting of the head.
Normally Kastiel's food consisted of rodents, carcases, and on the odd occation, tresspasing birds. But not once had he seen a insect like the one before him climbing a tree!

Ningai
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items

Postby reido » 12/30/2009 10:29 PM

"My n-name is Bakari, I'm a Beetanke," Bakari replied, "like, the insects that fly above the top layer of the forest. B-but not me! I'm not really much of a flier because my stomach gets sick and the wind gets so distracting sometimes and it's just so dangerous.." He trailed off, noticing that he had begun to ramble in his frightened state.
He yet again began to struggle against the iron grasp of his captor, but to no avail. "Can you please just let me go?!" he cried, "I'm sorry, really, and I won't bother you again. Just DON'T EAT ME!" He looked pleadingly at the comparitively massive bird above him, already resigning himself to an unhappy fate.
reido
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Ningai » 12/31/2009 9:07 PM

Kast chuckled under his breath at the creatures remark. "Don't bother running. I'll just catch you again." said Kast as he loosed his grip on the creature. "You know, you kinda remind me of an old friend I had- she would never stop talking!" continued Kast with a smerk. "So what are you doing climbing the tree anyways?" questioned Kastiel.

Ningai
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items

Postby reido » 12/31/2009 9:30 PM

Bakari shook the now-disarrayed plates that covered his body and straightened out as he crawled free of the great bird's grasp. "I was hunting..well, attempting to." he replied, averting his eyes yet again in shame, "But you can see how well that worked out. My uhh, condition, makes that sort of thing very difficult in some situations.." He trailed off and glanced up, nervously shuffling his feet. "Would it be too much for me to ask your name?"
reido
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Ningai » 12/31/2009 9:49 PM

"Hunting, realy? Well to tell you the truth I'm a little hungry-" Suddenly like a burst of wind, Kast stopped talking and dashed into the air head pointed to the ground! Just before he crashed his wings flared out and his sharp tallons sweept up a mouse hidden under the brush. Quickly out of sight, he snapped the mouses neck then flew back up where Bakari was still standing. "Well would you like some dinner?" offered Kaen.

Ningai
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items

Postby reido » 01/01/2010 8:54 PM

"I'll get my own food, thanks." Bakari silently fumed. All traces of his former fear were gone. Why couldn't the damn overgrown pidgeon just be off on his way already? There was no need for him to flaunt his hunting poweress infront of the already dejected Beetanke. Bakari, not wanting to continue talking, turned and scuttled down the trunk to a lower branch. Then, digging his long blade-like forearms into the bark, he began to descend the tree without looking back. If the other wanted to, he could follow him for all Bakari cared. Right now, he just wanted to get back to the forest floor. The altitude was making him light-headed.

Quickening his descent, he gasped in shock when suddenly, instead of tree bark, his hands met thin air! Flailing wildly, the unfortunate insectoid tumbled down towards the ground...
reido
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Ningai » 01/02/2010 2:00 PM

Kast noticed the creature had slipped from the tree he was about to fly down and catch it when he remembered how Bakari refused to take the food even though Kast worked to find one big enough for the both of them. So instead Kast said, "Hey Weakling! Have a nice fall!" Kast wasn't trying to be mean although he acted like it, instead he was trying to encourage Bakari to use his own wings and fly. Kast sat still on the branch above watching the creature plumit towards his death!

Ningai
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items

Postby reido » 01/02/2010 2:32 PM

At the sound of the Magistrey's voice, Bakari was snapped out of his frightened stupor. Looking around wildly, he tried to grasp at something to break his fall. His search was fruitless as he continued to plunge downward. Screwing his eyes shut tightly, he braced himself for impact.

Suddenly, a familiar jerk coming from near his shoulder blades reminded him of his one last lifeline.

Wings...

Without a second thought, he flared out the powerful limbs, struggling to catch enough wind to stop or at least slow his fall. Finally, he felt the thin tendons meet slight resistance from the air. Beating his wings furiously, Bakari's fall was gradually slowed as he came to a crashing stop in a patch of prickly ferns.

"Convenient." He grumbled, wincing as he extracted himself from the mess. Stumbling through the destroyed foliage, he glared upwards to where he guessed the bird was still residing, most likely finding Bakari's position humorous. "If it wasn't for you," he fumed to himself, "I wouldn't be in this stupid mess." The unfortunate insectoid continued to sulk to himself as he prepared to depart begin his own hunting along the forest floor.
reido
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Ningai » 01/03/2010 3:53 PM

Amused Kast stated, "Ah of course it's my fault, I'm definitely the one who made you let go of the tree!" He then swooped down to where Bakari was and continued, "Just think of it this way, at least now you got some use out of those mini wings of your!" Kast then stood there watching the creature look for food.

Ningai
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items

Postby reido » 03/20/2010 11:33 AM

'What makes you think I wanted to use my wings?' he grumbled. 'And they aren't mini..they're just the right size, thank you very much. Sorry that not all of us can have huge lumbering wings like yourself.' He turned sharply and scuttled further along the forest floor, bent on getting as far away as possible from the larger avian.
reido
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Ningai » 03/24/2010 10:41 PM

Still amused by the little creature, Kast followed it. "You know, you can't run away from me. I'll always find you." Kast stated in a smart-alic  voice as he noticed the creature trying to escape his view. "So now where are you heading?" Kast added.

Ningai
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items

Next