A dense jungle full of surprises and new places to explore! Scientists are still trying to document species found here, while travelers flock here for a sense of adventure. Be sure to make lots of preparations though, as it can be quite dangerous! (+3 Precision, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tengel Rainforest

.:Battlegrounds:. [Self~PG-13]

Postby Kat-Wolf » 12/01/2010 6:19 PM

The rainforest was but a mist covering the soldiers' vision; a tree here and there, vines strewn about, leaves fluttering down, but, all in all, their eyesight could pierce the rough foliage that blotted their perception.

Sonar surveyed the scene, her fur bristling as she eyed the enemies with pure and utter hatred, her lips twisted into a savage snarl. Sehotan-- the idiot! Rage seemed to swarm her mind as she spotted the Saffron Yonyuu at the front of the opposition's line, his head raised, his expression a heartless smirk.

He had tried to steal away the Tengel Ranforest, the territory that had been theirs, and no one else's, for generations upon generations. Well, they weren't going down without a fight-- the Dreamsnare would make sure of that. If all others were murdered, her quadrant would remain untouched, and whoop the life out of Sehotan's army. As an Officer, defeat was completely out of the question. Victory or death.

The female waited calmly, patiently, for the first move to be made. A green, battle-ready soldier who had probably never fought in his life decided that he wanted to rip some throats out. Now. Sehotan snarled as his young Yonyuu started the battle. All others leaped forward, and growls erupted into the atmosphere as the invitation to war was accepted by the party guests.

"Go!" Sonar yelled to her quadrant, all of whom rocketed forward, suddenly lost among the flying bits of fur and blood. Colors blurred together in a horrific display of carnage as lives were lost almost immediately after the call was sounded. The canine pushed her way through, her teeth glinting in the sun as red fluid splattered onto her coat.

A Jewel Yonyuu glared at the officer with a fiercely defiant gaze before springing forward, landing atop Sonar, attempting to push her to the ground. She found herself thrashing wildly and biting without aim, just hoping that maybe one would land home. She pressed her paws against her attacker's neck, praying to cut off air flow and keep those snapping jaws away from her jugular.

Her maw connected with flesh, and Sonar almost grinned with joy. Her opponent yelped and flew off of her,landing against a thick jungle tree with a sickening thud. Struggling to stand, she was not much of a thread anymore. The Dreamsnare let out a wild bark and forced her against the wood once more. She remained a motionless heap.

[Sonar: 1.2]
Kuhna Class E
Kat-Wolf
Novice Explorer
Novice Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 235
Donate

Re: .:Battlegrounds:. [Self~PG-13]

Postby Kat-Wolf » 12/01/2010 7:22 PM

They were losing numbers-- and fast. Sonar blinked as blood filled her gaze, courtesy of a gash positioned conveniently over her eyes. The Void Yonyuu let a feral snarl rip through his throat, and he flung himself at the Dreamsnare. The pet braced for the impact, positioning her body in such a away to let the enemy bounce off sideways, glancing on her shoulder. The brute slammed into her at an angle, foiling his 'head-on strike' plan. With a rough growl, he picked himself up, and glared at Sonar savagely.

The female felt a thread of fear weave its way into her heart, and she fought back viciously, trying to push the ounce of anxiety back to whatever Zu'hai-forsaken place it came from. The Void was massive, larger than any other of her kind she had previously seen. Muscles shone beneath his sleek, albeit bloodstained, ebony and indigo pelt, and his eyes were piercing violet-- his pupils two tiny slits as a throaty growl came forth, the feral creature launching himself towards the Dreamsnare a second time.

This time, the hulking beast hit home. Sonar felt the wind swiftly knocked out of her as his shoulder rammed into her ribcage, forcing her to the ground. The pet pushed all of his weight onto the shaken canine, a paw placed over her throat as he cut off her air flow. The female coughed and spluttered, her legs thrashing this way and that as she tried to snag flesh. She gagged, her oxygen now restricted to a minuscule amount. The brute grinned maliciously, before his smile turned into a roar of rage. His deathgrip removed, the creature, with a ferocious snarl, went for her throat.

[Sonar: 1.4]
Kuhna Class E
Kat-Wolf
Novice Explorer
Novice Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kat-Wolf » 12/01/2010 8:19 PM

Sonar's white-green eyes snapped shut, and she winced. It was all happening so fast... yet, at the same time, so slowly. She could feel the beast's breath on her neck, his hot, panting breath, as his jaws came closer to her jugular, his pearly white fangs ready to clamp and tear. A silent shudder passed through the female.

An odd feeling suddenly possessed her, and she dared to open her eyes. Time seemed to shift slowly, and colors blurred, a haze covering her vision like a film. Her attacker's form was now soft and fuzzy, and it seemed like seconds ticked by as he ever-so-slowly came inching to her neck. Everything was becoming more and more indefinite as edges melded to one another, and, soon, the entire world was giant mash of various hues and tints.

And, then, it was all gone.

For a few precious moments, her paws were airborne, with nothing to support her. However, she wasn't falling-- quite the opposite. She was suspended in a flash of white. Her eyes shut again, afraid of the unknown, and terribly, terribly, confused.

Ground found its way beneath her once more, and, only then, when she was firmly standing, did she peek.

The female gasped. The scene laid before her was not at all like the one she had arrived from-- not even close.She staggered backwards, unsure of what to do, and, of course, utterly shocked.

The entire atmosphere seemed to be tinted with a light shade of russet-ginger, like someone had inject a shot of caramel into the air. The Dreamsnare appeared to be in some sort of swamp-like area, but without the bugs, the heat, or the disgusting humidity, all of which she was quite familiar with in the Tengel. Trees with vines and Spanish Moss hung before her, and it seemed as if she was on a small island of many in a sea of very shallow water. Mists swirled in her gaze.

A voice spoke, and Sonar jumped. "Welcome," it said, a form emerging from the fog, "to the Spirit Plane."

[1.6]
Kuhna Class E
Kat-Wolf
Novice Explorer
Novice Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kat-Wolf » 12/01/2010 11:20 PM

"W-w-who are you?" Sonar stuttered, flipping around to face the being. ""Where am I? What's going on? She thought she might have seen a shadow in the fog, but the voice suddenly changed origins, and came from behind her. The startled canine spun, fear prevalent on her features.

"I already told you," repeated the mysterious speaker, sounding rather exasperated. "You're in the Spirit Plane. You might not have known it, but you've been able to travel to different planes of existence your entire life. On the very precipice of death, the trait became active and randomly transported you to the Spirit Plane."

"You mean I'm... in... heaven? Sonar asked shakily, glancing around. The voice let out another sigh, which, if you had a good enough imagination, could be accompanied with an eyeroll.

"Spirit Plane, heaven, yeah, yeah, yeah... A form finally emerged from the flickered mist. His dark, soot gray pelt was accompanied kindly by a patch of faded red on his chest and wing feathers, along with various splotches of white splattered on his paws and tail tip. Silver wings adorned his back, and the fluttered slightly as the rather annoyed creature stepped forth.

He was identifiable as a Cursed Yonyuu, that was obvious. However, the most striking feature of the canine was the fact that he was transparent. Or, at least semi-transparent, for that matter. She could see a vine as it hung limp behind him, although tinted by the hues of his coat. "As for who I am..." A sly grin came over his face. "The name's Incubus. I'm a spirit here on the Spirit Plane, an angel, ghost, whatever you want to call it. And, don't look so surprised-- you're nearly invisible, also."

Sonar gasped, holding a paw up to her face. It was true-- the trees and other scenery were visible through the should-be flesh of her body. "What dark magic is this?" she shrieked. A few spirit-birds fluttered away, and the Yonyuu rolled his red eyes.

"It's called Planar Travel, spaz. It's a trait that becomes prevalent with age. Relax. You're disturbing the other spirits. The Dreamsnare began to slightly hyperventilate.

"Are you and Illusionist? Is this all a dream? What are you doing to me?! The female's voice broke into a wail as she struggled to comprehend just what was going on.

"For the love of Zu'hai, just CALM DOWN!" Incubus yelled, his corporeal body bristling. Sonar stopped her inconsolable moans for but a moment, a few tears collecting in her eyes as she stared at the spirit, silently and with fear.

[1.8] [1.2]
Kuhna Class E
Kat-Wolf
Novice Explorer
Novice Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kat-Wolf » 12/02/2010 9:54 PM

Incubus felt a pang of guilt as pity inched it's way into his heart as he viewed the fearful Yonyuu, who stared at him, wide-eyed and panting. It wasn't her fault she was so freaked out. After all, it wasn't like she had been taking daily visits to the Spirit Plane. Sighing for what had to have been the third time so far, he looked to the Dreamsnare, and took a deep breath.

"Okay, okay, just... settle down." The Chaos pet shifted his weight uneasily; he wasn't exactly the best at comforting people. "I'm sorry I snapped. I guess... I guess I overestimated how prepared you were."

Sonar blinked, freeing her eyes from excess fluid, and let a soft smile play upon her lips. "S'okay," she replied, standing up. "I kinda... overreacted." A light laugh came from her parted maw, and her gaze held a few shards of humor. "It's just... this place is rather new to me... How do you know about this? What's going on?"

Incubus sent her a happy grin, all awkwardness now worn off. "Well... I'm a ghost," he answered, smiling slyly. "I died in the War, way back when. Got in a tussle with a Battleheart." The Yonyuu turned, revealing previously unseen claw marks that stretched from his cheek to his haunch. They weren't exactly dripping blood, but it was plain to see that the gashes were far from healed. Seeing Sonar's horrified expression, he laughed, explaining. "Don't worry, they don't hurt or anything. When you die, the wounds you died with remain unhealed in the Spirit Plane. There's absolutely no pain, though."

As if to experiment, the Dreamsnare lightly bit her paw, and was surprised when red dots appeared, but no pain followed. "Ah, I wouldn't do that if I were you," came Incu's warning voice as he strode forward. "You see, it doesn't matter for me, but where you return to the land of the living, those wounds will still be there, and so will the pain. If I returned, I'd be in utter agony."

"...Oh. Oops." The female wiped some of the blood off, unseen in her ebony pelt.

[2.0] [1.4]
Kuhna Class E
Kat-Wolf
Novice Explorer
Novice Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kat-Wolf » 12/02/2010 11:25 PM

"Battles are... hard... although... I don't think I've been through as much as you... The Yonyuu trailed off, deep in thought, when realization suddenly dawned upon her. "Oh my Zu'hai! Sehotan! I have to get back! My quadrant... I need to help them! I've abandoned my soldiers... I can't do that! I'm an Officer!" Sonar began to panic, her pupils dilated a hair standing on end. "How do I get back?" she asked frantically, desperate.

"Don't worry," responded the Chaos. He nonchalantly scratched his ear, sitting down.

"Incubus!" Sonar shrieked, enraged. "Soldiers are dying out there! You'll make some new friends in the Spirit Plane soon! I have to get back to my men!"

"Okay, okay, fine..." Somehow, the canine appeared to be disappointed. "Just... focus. Imagine yourself back in Evelon. Your trait's active now, so it shouldn't be too hard."

The female closed her eyes, breathing deeply, trying to concentrate. She felt her claws knead the soft, waterlogged ground as she envisioned the Mortal Plane, far, far away from the swamp. A shuddering breath passed through her as she willed away all distractions.

She began to feel light, almost airy, like she was floating along. Her eyes opened a sliver. The world was tumbling around her, white was flooding the edges of her gaze, and tunnel vision plagued her mind. In a cyclone of colors and sounds, Incubus was the only thing in focus as she tumbled out of the realm. "I'll visit..." she whispered weakly, in a voice that sounded almost entirely not her own. It was foreign, slurred, echoing at the end.

The last thing she saw before the Mortal Plane came to light was a Cursed Yonyuu, drooping and broken.

[2.2] [1.6]
Kuhna Class E
Kat-Wolf
Novice Explorer
Novice Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kat-Wolf » 12/02/2010 11:37 PM

Stupid...

A feeble thought permeated Incu's jumble of emotions that swirled in his mind, yet he could not finish it. He was weak, exhausted from the sentimental turmoil she had brought with her, the confusion, the pain, the wondering... He sighed, slumping to the ground, unwilling to fight through the slog of thoughts with rationalism or logic.

He didn't know why, but he just knew that the feeling was there. He felt stupid, he felt silly, but he felt sad. Sad that she was gone. There was just something about the way she talked, the way she held herself, the way...

Zu'hai, he was just too tired to make any sense of it all at that point. He let the unfinished mental phrase trail off, his ruby red eyes drawing to a close, letting darkness overtake his gaze. Taking a deep breath, his ribcage rose dramatically, and then fell in a still-dramatic fashion, as he sighed, yet again, too feeble to do anything at the moment.

Idiot. She's alive. The Yonyuu began to sort the unorganized mess in his brain, one single thought remaining clear: she was alive, and he was dead. He could wait a while... a long while... and, maybe...

The male's body shook as he trembled slightly, wanting it all to go away. He had never felt such a longing until he saw her, when she entered the Spirit Plane, when the fact that he was deceased meant absolutely nothing anymore. When she spoke, it got better... He winced. Nothing could compare to the burning, painful desire to be bathed in her scent.

Stop fooling yourself... Doubts clouded his mind, and he tried to reprimand himself. But he couldn't. The feelings were there; there was no getting around them.

[1.8]
Kuhna Class E
Kat-Wolf
Novice Explorer
Novice Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kat-Wolf » 12/03/2010 12:22 AM

Maybe she'll die in battle...

The thought came into his mind before he had the chance to expel it, and it horrified him. Part of him wanted her dead, wanted her to feel pain, for her family and loved ones to experience emotional turmoil, for her to be gone from the Mortal Plane... all so she could be with him for eternity. An awful, selfish thought. He was ashamed.

Wading through the knee-deep waters, he stopped, and looked at his reflection. He could see the thick gashes as they carved their way outwards from his cheek, twisting and rounding along his neck and chest. The reason he was here, and not there, with her. Letting his ears and tail droop, he continued to move forward, his paws dispelling the mirror image in the still swamp.

Despite the fact that he knew it was true, he didn't want to say it. It was too cliche, such a childish idea, a fickle thing... But... Stepping out of the water, he leaned against a gnarled tree, brushing off any cognitive activity. He needed to sleep.

The beast slumped downward, his scarlet eyes closing, the Spirit Plane fading to ebony beside him. He couldn't deal with it right now. He'd come back to it later. Actual thinking could be delayed, procrastinated.

Zu'hai... if there's any way... The prayer trailed away as he fell into a slumber, emotionally exhausted.

[2.0]
Kuhna Class E
Kat-Wolf
Novice Explorer
Novice Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kat-Wolf » 12/03/2010 12:42 AM

He dreamed of her.

It was like she was hardwired into his brain; he could not shake her image free, even when he closed his eyes. She stood out among all the other swirling colors that danced on his eyelids, her glowing Dreamsnare markings like a beacon in the blackness. Soon, the remaining hues faded, and she was all that was left.

The dream began. The Yonyuu turned her head, and opened her mouth to bark, although it was soundless. Despite this, Incubus eagerly followed, in the velvety, blank obliviousness, unaware of his non-lucidity. The scene seemed to spring up at her paws; purple grass followed her pawsteps, bright, cyan rocks dotted the path, and her wings painted an ebony night sky, illuminated by tiny, white, pulsing flecks. Nothing was unusual, in his mind.

The grass and rocks glowed against the darkened backdrop, their luminescence mixing to create an odd, yet beautiful, diffusion of purple and blue. The world stretched around the two now, and Sonar sat. Incubus found himself next to her, in his fully-fleshed form, no wounds of scars dotting his previously broken body.

She smiled at him, and he smiled back. Still no sound came from the pair, and they sat in silence. The Dreamsnare's mouth began to move, but, yet again, no words spilled out like wind chimes like they had in the waking world. The Cursed pet began to grow more and more uneasy as the scene played forward. Something was wrong.

Her gaze suddenly went blank, and then was filled with pain and terror. She went limp to the ground, blood spurting from a newly opened wound, the awful ruby fluid pouring from her mouth and nose. A massive slash went from her cheek to her haunch.

His death.

The law of silence was broken as Sonar let out a deafening scream of sheer agony.

[2.2]
Kuhna Class E
Kat-Wolf
Novice Explorer
Novice Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kat-Wolf » 12/04/2010 12:51 AM

She was alone in the clearing when she touched down, the Void Yonyuu long since deserting her. Sonar could hear the sounds of the fight a ways off, now weaker, and she rushed forward. I've abandoned my quadrant! I have to get back! Narrowly dodging a waving tree branch, the female rushed towards the snarls and yelps, heart pounding.

A few bodies littered the ground, a sign of the awful carnage that had taken place. Sonar shuddered as sightless eyes stared up at her, almost imploringly. The tattered corpse of a Cursed pet lay in her path, bloodied and broken. I'll say hi to him in the Spirit Plane, she thought grimly, skirting around the body as delicately as she could.

She could see it now, the battle, not too far off. A sharp growl was hear, and she rushed forward, preparing to fight.

There-- her heartbeat accelerated as the gory scene came into view, and she bristled. A thick-bodied Temple was gnashing away at a smaller, much less able Common, who was already quite ragtag-looking. He squealed as his opponent sank his fangs into his leg, sending shots of blood from the arteries. Sonar snarled, her tail raised, as she leaped forward, taking hold on the canine's scruff.

The enemy roared, raising a paw to knock off his attacker, but found no hold as she struggled to remain her grip on his neck. Her paws now firmly placed on his shoulders, she began to bite deeper, attempting to maintain her position. The Common pet had now since skittered into the foliage, terrified.

This is going on for too long, the female thought, and decided to end the skirmish. She released his spine for but a moment, before catapulting herself down, and then up again, straight at his exposed jugular. Letting her teeth slide through muscle, she barely heard his yells as they grew fainter and fainter, eventually sliding into oblivion.

[2.4]
Kuhna Class E
Kat-Wolf
Novice Explorer
Novice Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kat-Wolf » 12/04/2010 11:47 PM

The Cursed Yonyuu awoke with a start, his entire body trembling wildly. A shudder passed through him as he remembered the horrific nightmare, all the time growing yet more and more ashamed of his previous, stray desire for Sonar to die. He wanted to slap himself, disgusted with the way his thoughts tainted his dreams.

The entire Spirit Plane seemed creepier now, more eerie, it's spookiness much more potent than before the beast napped. He began to wish he was anywhere but here.

No-- not anywhere. He wished he was down on the Mortal Plane, fighting off evil with the Dreamsnare, in a fully-fleshed body, alive, breathing, his heart beating...

The cool waters rushed over his pelt, and he found solace in them. They soothed his longings, numbed them, made his heart anesthetized to the fierce desire to be with her, and only her, to be alive once more.

It's impossible, he tried to tell himself, for the millionth time.

And yet, she was still all he thought about. He could not shake her. She was a tick, and would cling to his ear for the rest of eternity.

Eternity was a long time.

[2.4]
Kuhna Class E
Kat-Wolf
Novice Explorer
Novice Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kat-Wolf » 12/05/2010 5:08 PM

"Th-thank you, of-of-officer..." replied the Common, stepping delicately out of the brush. Blood dripped down from the corners of his mouth, and it appeared that his stomach had been practically ripped to shreds. The poor creature shook with the very effort it took to breath, his small frame quivering as pain racked his system, a tidal wave of agony flooding his nerves. Eyes fluttering, it appeared he had trouble even staying conscious. The canine was a juvenile at the oldest, far too young to experience such horrors.

"No thanks needed," replied Sonar, trotting to the Yonyuu with a sense of slight urgency, fearing that he could practically die of blood loss any moment. She offered her shoulder, which the creature graciously took, happy to have support. He let his eyelids close, trying to find a comfort for his smarting wounds. "We need to get you to a healer," remarked the Dreamsnare, but her voice was but a blur in his mind. His paws numbly fumbling along across the Tengel floor, he blindly followed the female, unsure of what was really going on.

The medic, a Verdure, overlooked the straggler, administering to him as quickly as she could. Sonar sighed, and, after he was squared away, turned back to fight.

They wouldn't win.

It was apparent; all their remaining soldiers were weak with exhaustion, and the opponents far outnumbered their meager troops. The Dreamsnare looked around for her quadrant.

"Retreat!"

[2.6]
Kuhna Class E
Kat-Wolf
Novice Explorer
Novice Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate