A dense jungle full of surprises and new places to explore! Scientists are still trying to document species found here, while travelers flock here for a sense of adventure. Be sure to make lots of preparations though, as it can be quite dangerous! (+3 Precision, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tengel Rainforest

The Orphans Quest {Self} Possibly Mature

Postby Kitsumi » 09/12/2011 12:53 AM

For once, the night wasn't dark and cloudy as La'nalaeoki picked her way through the forest, watching carefully where she stepped to avoid stumbling and injuring herself. All signs of clouds were gone, and Nala was slightly tempted to stop and gaze at the stars, admiring their brightness as she lay beneath the full moon.
But no, she had no time to pause. Her supplies were diminished; she had gone the past three days without food, drinking water to calm the cramping in her stomach. While the water had helped for a while, traveling as she had on an empty stomach was not something that was considered healthy, and it was beginning to take its toll on her. However, there was a village right on the other side of this forest. If only she could reach it before the gatekeeper left for the night, she would have a warm bed to sleep in for the night, and be able to set off freshly supplied early the next morning.
Of course, getting there on time was the problem. It was already late, and while gatekeepers were assigned to let in travelers after dark, they weren't always diligent at doing their job. Nala knew that she could survive one more night in the forest, but she honestly didn't wish to do so. She was tired, sore, and in need of a good bath. Hopefully, the village would be open...

like sunlight shining through the leaves
we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Pen :: Wishlist ::Breeders :: Docs :: Rentals :: Journal
Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 7194
Donate

Re: The Orphans Quest {Self} Possibly Mature

Postby Kitsumi » 09/12/2011 2:38 AM

"Shukomo! Would you please go make sure that the customers at the far table don't need more ale?" Shuko's head swiveled to look up at the large, heavyset man speaking. "Yes, of course, master," Shuko said as he gave a quick, rather clumsy half-bow. "Right away." He waited for his master's nod of excuse before scurrying off to the table in question.
The moment he was at the table, an obviously drunk man burst into loud, raucous laughter, which kept the men at the table from noticing Shuko. "Excuse me, sirs," Shuko said loudly, in order to get their attention. "Is everything well? More ale, perhaps?" The men, however, were obviously too busy to bother with the short boy. They waved him off, glaring at him as he slunk away.
Looking out the large front window of the in, Shuko saw that it was getting quite dark outside. Looking for Alric, his master, Shuko bowed in front of him. "Sir, it's getting late. Might I go up to my room now? Rosie won't be able to sleep until I'm up in the room with her." The older man nodded, and Shuko hastened up to his room, where his little sister was waiting.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 09/12/2011 3:16 PM

As she neared the village, she heard the sounds of loud laughter. Obviously, there was a tavern near the gate, and a few drunken men were finally leaving for the night, returning to their homes and families. Shaking her head at the foolishness of men who found it acceptable to drink like gluttons until losing all control of their minds, Nala pushed on, hoping that soon she would be out of the forests and at the gate's entrance.
It took only another quarter of an hour before the trees and vegetation of the forest were behind her, and she was able to catch a glimpse of the gate. A warm, welcoming light shone from the open slot in the gate, indicating that the gatekeeper was still awake and able to let guests in. Her steps became lighter, her pace quicker as she neared the gate, and the comforts it would provide.
"Excuse me, gatekeeper," she spoke in a quiet voice as she finally reached the gate. "I've been traveling for weeks now, with scarcely any comforts. I'm out of supplies, and my spirit was low, until I saw the light here at your gate. Might I enter, and stay the night at an inn, perhaps?"
The gatekeeper smiled at her and swung the gate wide open. "That you may, lass. There is an in just over yonder," he pointed with one beefy hand. "It is called the Raven's Nest. You may stay the night there for a low fee. And if you need to replenish your supplies, there is a stall right across from the inn that will carry everything from food to clothing to traveling comforts."
Nala gave a low, graceful curtsy as she smiled in thanks at the man. "I thank you, kind gatekeeper." she said. "I wish honor and blessings upon you and your household." Her pretty speech spoken, she hurried in the direction that the gatekeeper had pointed, impatient to find the inn and the comforts it would provide.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 09/12/2011 3:54 PM

Shuko was nearing the stairs that led to the room he and Rosie shared when the door of the main entrance to the inn opened. His curiosity was peaked as he saw that it was a young girl, about his age, perhaps a year younger. It wasn't odd to see someone so young - travelers of every age and shape came to the inn at some time or another. The odd part was the fact that this girl was alone. At her age, surely it wasn't safe for her to wander about without a traveling companion?
Deciding that Rosie could wait a few more minutes, Shuko walked up to the girl and bowed before her. "Welcome, miss, to the Raven's Nest. Are you here for a meal, or a room, perhaps? Are you waiting to meet a companion?"

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 09/13/2011 9:37 AM

A boy of perhaps a year or so older than Nala approached her, and she found her hand going to her hidden dagger without even quite realizing that she was doing so. It became clear that the boy meant her no harm though when he gave a clumsy bow and spoke words of welcome. She realized that he must work there when he inquired about whether she wanted room or meal.
"Oh, please, don't  call me 'miss'. I'm not nearly old enough for that." Nala rolled her eyes. "My name is La'nalaeoki, you may call me that. I've been traveling for quite some time, and would appreciate a room, if there is one available. I'd also like a meal; I haven't had a decent one in ages."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 09/13/2011 9:54 AM

"La'naeo- La'lana-" Shuko sighed in frustration as he tried to say the newcomer's name. "How do you say it again?" He shook his head in disbelief. "Where do you come by a name like that? I've never heard of such a complicated name!" He chuckled softly.
Remembering her request for a room and meal, he nodded. "Oh, and yes, we have a room open. Would you like me to take you up to it? I can carry any luggage you have, if you wish. The room is on the second floor, and it only costs 25 keystones to stay a single night, although you'll have to leave early in the morning. Does that sound alright?"

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 09/13/2011 10:04 AM

Smirking at his failed attempts to say her name, Nala shook her head. "Just call me Nala, it's easier. And I don't believe you returned the favor of your name." Nala put her hands on her hips, cocking her head slightly in a rather arrogent manner. "I don't suppose you'd enjoy it if I just called you 'boy' or 'hey, you there!' Am I right?"
"25 keystones, eh? Hmm, I suppose I could spare that much. Does that price include the dinner, or will I have to pay separately?"
She nodded at his mention of leaving early. "That won't be a problem, I was planning on being out quite early anyways. I have places to be, I'm merely here to enjoy a bit of comfort and replenish my stock of supplies before I set off again."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 09/13/2011 10:18 AM

"Nala, huh?" Shuko murmured the name again to himself, tasting it on his lips. "Nala. It's pretty. I rather like it, actually." He smiled kindly, his eyes widening as Nala inquired about his name. "Oh, I'm Shuko. I'm sorry, mi-err, Nala. It's not that I was trying to be rude, not at all. I'm just not used to people asking the little orphan boy what his name is. But yes, as I said, my name is Shuko."
At her question, Shuko bit his lip thoughtfully. "To be quite honest, I believe they charge way too much for the meals." Leaning forward in a conspiratorial way, Shuko whispered, "But I'm close friends with the cook - she often sneaks me extra rations or goodies that were meant for the guests. I'm sure I'll be able to get you a fair meal, if you like."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 09/13/2011 4:54 PM

She couldn't help but smile as Shuko spoke. "You say that like you're surprised. What, a traveling girl like me can't have a pretty, likable name?" She laughed.
For a moment, Shuko's words didn't register, other than his name. Then, Nala's eyes widened ever so slightly, not enough for anyone to notice, though. "You're an orphan?" she asked quietly. That would make sense - many orphaned kids would work in places like inns, where they could be paid partially in room and meal. Obviously, that was how Shuko had ended up working at the inn so young.
A smile slowly formed on Nala's lips. "You would do that for me? Thanks, I really appreciate it." Then, her smile faded ever so slightly. "But wait...couldn't you get in trouble for that? I'd hate for you to get in trouble on my account."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 09/13/2011 8:23 PM

Shuko shook his head furiously, wondering how he could undo the damage he had already done. "No, no, I didn't mean it like that at all! It's just that...well...it's a very pretty name." He sighed, looking down and feeling quite a bit embarrassed.
Nala's response to his situation was one he was used to. He nodded, replying, "Yeah, I'm an orphan. My mum and dad died in an epidemic in our village. We came here when the kind innkeeper offered me and my sister, Rosy, a place to stay in exchange for light labor. He's actually quite nice, and he doesn't push us too hard. He keeps close track of our rations though, because he doesn't want to go broke feeding two growing kids. Of course, that's where Cookie comes in." He winked.
"It's no trouble, I promise. And I won't get in trouble; I've never been caught." He grinned. "But it would be easier if you came and ate in me and Rosy's room. It's easier to sneak food there, since it's right next to the kitchen. What do you say?"

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 09/13/2011 10:14 PM

For the first time in a long time, Nala found herself giggling. It wasn't exactly a thing she enjoyed doing, as she found it immensely annoying and girlie, but she didn't bother with holding it back; at the moment, she was simply too tired and hungry to care. "Don't worry, I was kidding with you. You don't have to feel bad, ok?"
She sobered quickly at the mention of his parent's death. "Those epidemics are horrible. I've seen the results of them many times - dozens, sometimes even hundreds can die from them. You're lucky to have escaped with your life, as is your sister."
At his words, Nala brightened again, her smile returning. "Hmm, I believe I can arrange that. Do you mind if I take my stuff up to my room first? I don't want to be carrying it around with me everywhere."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 09/13/2011 10:22 PM

Letting out a sigh of relief, Shuko lifted his head and returned Nala's smile. "Oh, that's good to know. I was afraid I had offended you...and trust me, I don't want to offend you. Not just because you're a customer, though that's why I usually avoid offending people. You're the first person whose come in here who has actually carried on a conversation with me. For that, I have to thank you."
Shuko sighed. "You don't have to tell me...I already know. I saw all the bodies piled up, I smelled the stench of them being set on fire to kill the disease and keep it from spreading. I know that Rosy and I were lucky. Trust me, not a day goes by that I don't thank whoever is in charge in heaven that chose to spare us."
"Oh, here," when Nala mentioned her bags, Shuko quickly bent over and grabbed them. She obviously hadn't been lying about needing to refill her stock - her bags weighed hardly anything! "C'mon, I'll lead you to your room."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 09/13/2011 10:48 PM

For some reason, Shuko's words automatically put Nala on the defensive. "Listen here, Shuko," she said in a cold voice. "I'm not here to make friends or anything. I'll be gone by tomorrow, and chances are you'll never see me again. So don't think that any of this means anything more than it does, alright? I'm simply taking you up on your offer. Got it?"
She sighed, knowing how rude she sounded, but not exactly caring. It wasn't her fault if the boy was emotional enough to get upset over a few less than friendly words. She was a bit afraid that he would go back on his offer of food, though. That would be a problem. Nala had a limited amount of coins, and she didn't want to spend half of it for a meager meal that was only worth one tenth of the price.
"Thanks," she said quickly, reaching for her bags. "But I can carry it myself, thank you. Just lead me to my room, and then let me get my dinner and go to bed. Alright?"

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 09/13/2011 11:07 PM

Nala's sudden transformation caused Shuko to flinch, taking a step backwards. "I...I never said...I didn't mean..." he sighed, hanging his head. He should have known better than to think that perhaps he had found a friend. "I understand. After all, what's the use of a one night friendship, right? I promise to respect your space, and not do anything remotely friendly."
He surrendered her bags easily, and started ascending the stairs. He didn't say a word, and didn't look back. The silence was awkward, almost suffocating; the only noise that could be heard was the thumping of their feet on the steps and the creaking of the stairs in protest. Opening the door for Nala, Shuko gestured her inside. "There it is. Once you've settled in and finished freshening up, you may come to my room for supper. It's on the first floor, right between the kitchen and the pantry."
He left without another word.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 09/13/2011 11:40 PM

For the briefest of moments, Nala almost thought about changing her mind, apologizing and telling him that she would enjoy being his friend, even if only for the night. But then her common sense kicked in, and she had to bite her lip to keep from laughing out loud at the idiocy of that idea. She knew better than to trust people she hardly knew, and her number one rule was to never, ever grow attached to someone. Because in the end, everyone failed you, stabbed you in the back, or broke your heart. If Nala wanted to protect herself as well as she had for the past eight years, then she would have to stick to her rules.
Shuko didn't speak once as they neared her room, and Nala didn't encourage him. She liked the silence, it made it easier for her to be alert to any sounds that may come from a potential threat. Once in her room, with Shuko gone, she looked around for a basin of water. She was quite hungry, so her bath would have to come later, but she could at least rinse most of the grime off of her.
Once she was finished, she set off to find the room that Shuko had told her about, making sure that the room was locked. She wasn't about to let anyone get in while she wasn't there.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next