A dense jungle full of surprises and new places to explore! Scientists are still trying to document species found here, while travelers flock here for a sense of adventure. Be sure to make lots of preparations though, as it can be quite dangerous! (+3 Precision, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tengel Rainforest

The Rainforest Dragons (P)

Postby Thunder » 01/14/2013 8:27 PM

Finding a new home was a tough job.

Scorch was not accustomed to to humid weather like this. All the water in the atmosphere made his feathers damp and heavy, so flying was difficult. The heat didn't really bother him- as a fire breathing dragon, he was able to withstand hot temperatures- but the stickiness was uncomfortable. Still, he had to bear it. He had to find a place for his fellow dragons to live.

A long time ago, they inhabited a land named Goldenrock. But when an Ice Age came down on them and killed many dragons, they fled to an island in the middle of the sea, Dracoria. Now, after a series of earthquakes that sunk the island, Dracoria was in danger of being totally flooded. The leaders of the dragons had decided to send Scorch to investigate potential territories to move into, and the Tengel Rainforest was just one stop on his long, lonely quest.

Presently, Scorch was getting tired. He had been flying for half an hour, and the weather was making him woozy. He decided to descend and dropped down to the forest floor in a slow spiral. He landed in a patch of soft moss and glanced around. There were lots of tropical plants, of course, and he could see some fruits growing on the trees, but as a carnivore, he couldn't eat those. And no prey seemed to be in sight. With a drawn out sigh, Scorch began trekking through the jungle, looking for a comfortable spot to rest, something to eat, and some body of water to drink from.

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate

Re: The Rainforest Dragons (P)

Postby SpringsSong » 01/14/2013 8:45 PM

"No, no!  You need to always be looking around, Anadella.  How hard can that be for you?  You have eight eyes!"

ImageImage

"Oh, come on, Inditlina; cut me a little slack!" a younger Paragon, a Pipe, said to her companion.  "It's also only my first day as a scout; surely Aerarnis wouldn't be this strict with me..."

"You're right," the Butterfly-winged Ambia said.  "She would be far stricter.  You have twice the eyes that she has; you should be able to notice twice as much and keep an eye on twice as much as her.  Just like, for me, you should be able to notice four times as much and keep an eye on four times as much as me.  Now, what do you see?"

The Pipe sighed as she looked around.  It was only her first day of training, and already, the Paragon she was apprenticing with was being impossibly hard on her!  It wasn't like she could see EVERYTHING in the forest, although she could see everything around her.  And so, the Pipe looked around, while the Ambia (whom she could see, of course) looked at her with scrutiny.  After a few minutes, Anadella's tendrils twitched.

"There's a Paragon down there... he's getting close to the borders of the Clan's territory," she said, and Inditlina smiled.

"Excellent.  Let's apprehend him before he gets any closer," she said, folding her wings in closer before diving.  When she could see the other Paragon, she let out a sharp call.

"You there!  Do not take another step!" she said, while Anadella followed behind her, all but two of her eight eyes closed as she shook her head.
Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind
Thinking I can see through this to see what's behind
Got no way to prove it, so maybe I'm lying
Take a look in the mirror, what do you see
Can you see it clearer, or are you deceived in what you believe?
Don't ask my opinion, don't ask me to lie
Then beg for forgiveness for making you cry
'cause I'm no prophet or Messiah
You should go looking somewhere higher

I'm only human, I make mistakes
I'm only human, I do what I can
I'm only human, that's all it takes to put the blame on me

Don't put the blame on me

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5883
Donate

Postby Thunder » 01/14/2013 9:48 PM

For a while, nothing exciting happened. Even though Scorch thought that this jungle would be rich with essentials for all sorts of animals, he really couldn't find any that suited him, and he began to wonder if it was pointless to consider the rainforest as a possible home. A few moments later, though, a shout came from above him, and he jumped in alarm.

"W-who's that?" he stammered. He directed his gaze upward, and his eyes widened when he saw...what was that? A giant butterfly? Since when did butterflies have four legs and a tail? And what was behind it? It was a big red creature with blade-like wings and a mess of curls on its head that resembled curved ferns. It was hard to discern their exact features since they were flying at him at high speeds, but as they neared, Scorch realized what they were.

They were dragons, like him. His heart soared for a second at this revelation.

But then he felt terrified because the butterfly-winged dragon was yelling at him like she was going to arrest him.

He ducked his head under his shiny wings and braced himself for the worst. Oh, he was so awkward with situations like this. He hadn't meant to trespass on anyone else's territory. He really hadn't. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he repeated while trembling.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 01/14/2013 10:03 PM

"Inditlina!  For the love of--" Anadella called after the Ambia.  She sighed as she dove, angling a little steeper than the Ambia so that she would land first.  She then ran to the other Paragon.  "Do not worry; she's just... in an ill mood," she said.

"An ill mood?  This Paragon almost crossed into our territory unknowingly!" Inditlina said.  "And, as scouts of the Clan, we demand to know your purpose here," she said sternly, looking at the male Paragon sternly.

"What my friend means to say," Anadella said calmly, "is that, as this is our territory, intrusions--whether purposeful or accidental--are frowned upon.  However, they are generally not met with as much force as she puts in them."

"No, they're met with pure fear," Inditlina said.  "Well?  I am still waiting for you to state your purpose here."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 01/14/2013 10:40 PM

While hiding his face, Scorch couldn't see them land, but he did hear them. He expected the butterfly-winged dragon to stomp up to him right away, but to his surprise, a gentler voice spoke first. He lifted his wings slightly and peered out to see the red dragon speaking to him. He was intrigued by the number of eyes she had; he certainly never saw that on a dragon before. Maybe there was a lot more genetic variety here than back at his home.

Clan? he thought to himself. So it wasn't just these two. There was a whole group of dragons somewhere here. Still shivering slightly, he retracted his wings and looked at the two strangers. "I'm sorry," he said. "I didn't mean to step into anyone's territory... I just landed in the rainforest after a long flight, and I didn't know anyone lived here. It's my first time here. I only wanted to find some food, drink, or shelter. If you really want me to leave, I can..." The red dragon's words had soothed him a bit, but he was still embarrassed that he accidentally trespassed. To show that he was genuinely apologetic, he bowed his head to the two of them.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 01/14/2013 10:54 PM

"See, Inditlina?  He's just a lost traveler," Anadella said, looking at the Ambia while keeping her eyes focused on the male.  "All he wants is shelter... would you really turn him away?" she asked, and the Ambia winced slightly.

"It will not be my decision.  He will have to speak with Katalmach and Kalach-cha about it, that much is certain," she said, turning to face the male.  "We will not make you leave, but it will be up to the discretion of our leader and his mate.  They have not steered this clan wrong since they began forming it, so I will trust their judgment."

"Don't worry; they're not all as bad as Inditlina," Anadella said quietly.  "She's just... cranky, sometimes.  And she takes her job of patrolling our borders very seriously."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 01/22/2013 2:27 PM

When Inditlina said they wouldn't make him leave, Scorch mentally breathed a sigh of relief. "I understand," he said to her. "T-thank you... I wouldn't mind talking to your leaders." Subtly, he glanced sideways at Anadella and gave her a small smile of appreciation. Maybe he would have gotten kicked out if she wasn't present.

As he waited to be led to the clan leaders, Scorch realized that this was actually an excellent opportunity for him. If a dragon tribe was settled here, he could learn about their lifestyle and report back to his own kin. It would still be hard to adjust to living in a rainforest; Dracoria had a very different climate, but dragons were tough creatures, and he was sure they could find a way. The only concern he had, though, was whether Anadella and Inditlina's tribe would let other dragons move in...

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 01/25/2013 11:43 AM

Anadella noticed Scorch's small smile of appreciation, and she offered a subtle dip of her head as Inditlina cleared her throat, catching the attention of the younger sentinel.

"Let us be on our way, then," she said.  "The afternoon rains will begin soon, and you know that Aerarnis and Raloi will want to hear our report and gage how well you are progressing in your apprenticeship."

"You're not still jealous that Raloi is Aerarnis' second, are you?" Anadella asked.  "And, as I recall, Aerarnis is currently confined to her nest because--"

A sharp cry from the Ambia Paragon that sounded like a bird's call was all it took to silence the Pipe.  Clearly, Inditlina was disgruntled about some things, and she did not want them discussed.  Without another word, she began walking towards a large tree, but a flick of her tail indicated to Anadella to follow with Scorch.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 01/25/2013 12:14 PM

Scorch really had no idea what the two were talking about. Anadella was an apprentice...for what? Who were Raloi and Aerarnis? And just how large was this tribe, exactly? There were so many questions swimming around in his head, and he desperately wanted to find the answers to them all. So, as he walked after Inditlina, he moved in next to Anadella to ask her. He didn't really want to direct them at Inditlina- that Ambia would probably think he was trying to figure out their tribe's secrets...or something. "So, uh, you're some kind of apprentice? What do you do?"

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 01/25/2013 12:30 PM

Anadella smiled.  "You see, in Clan standards, I'm still fairly young.  Only the leaders' children are younger than I am.  We spend time apprenticing in different areas to see where our skills are best suited.  Mine were in patrolling and maintaining the border of the Clan's territory, so I was made a sentinel.  Soon, hopefully, Aerarnis and Raloi--the lead sentinels--will allow me to be a full sentinel as opposed to an apprentice.  I still have some things to learn, but... Aerarnis actually let me go on a patrol by myself once, when we first found Raloi," she said.

"That's Aerarnis, not me," Inditlina said, her tone clipped, as if she did not want Anadella to continue the story.  She paused for a moment, and then, she swiped a claw over a patch of vines.  The vines moved slightly, uncovering an entrance portal near the base of a large tree.  "Come.  Follow closely," she said, and Anadella nodded, waiting for the other dragon to follow after Inditlina.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 01/26/2013 2:30 PM

Scorch was intrigued by the concept. Back in Dracoria, his fellow dragons weren't organized like that. Everyone did his or her own thing and protected his or her own territory, but in times of great crises like their current situation, they came together and made plans. Would it be difficult to live in this rainforest if they didn't adopt a more unified system? He wondered what he would be if he had been part of this tribe and imagined that he might get a role that involved his magic abilities. He wasn't particularly excellent at controlling his magic yet, however. He still needed lots of practice.

Scorch was confused when they stopped in front of a tree, but then his eyes widened when the secret entrance was revealed. Amazed, he stepped into the portal and gazed around in wonder, keeping close to his two guides.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 01/26/2013 2:54 PM

The two female sentinels walked down the path of the nest.  Before Anadella walked much farther, she swiped her tail just below the entrance, and the vines replaced themselves.  Then, she continued walking along behind Inditlina and Scorch.

"Our leaders are at the bottom of the nest," Inditlina said, her voice clipped.  "We will pass several other dens on our way down.  If you have questions, then Anadella will answer them.  Now, follow us..."

Anadella moved so that she was walking beside Scorch instead of behind.  "I apologize for Inditlina's behavoir.  She's... what is the best way to put this?  A bit moody, at best," she said.  "But I'm willing to offer any explanations that I can."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 02/08/2013 6:01 PM

Scorch glanced around the path in quiet awe. It was much cooler in here than outside, which was a great relief to him, though it was rather damp and he could feel his claws sinking into mud. The slope was seemingly getting lower and lower, going deep into the ground. How far did it go, and how on earth did the clan dig all these dens? He had never heard of digging dragons before. There were so many strange and new things about this place.

"Did you carve these out all by yourselves?" he asked Anadella. "It must have been a lot of work. I'm impressed."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 02/08/2013 6:07 PM

"Well, some of them were here from when the Clan existed about a thousand years ago," Anadella said, thinking.  "At least, that's what I've been told.  But, I suppose just about anything is possible when you have an Ambia Paragon that can use the element of earth within the Clan," she said after another few minutes, laughing as she said this.

"Yes, the first few dens were carved out by some of this Clan's predecessors," Inditlina said.  "One thousand years with no one living in the nest led to some severe decay.  Many of the dens were caved in when Katalmach and Kalach-cha found this place with Caitria's guidance."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 02/08/2013 6:38 PM

"A thousand years?" Scorch repeated, dumbfounded. "That's a long time..." In contrast, his fellow dragons had only been living on Dracoria for about five hundred years. He wasn't sure how long they had been in Goldenrock, but based on what he heard others say, the dragons had inhabited Goldenrock for a much longer time.

He was intrigued when Anadella mentioned that there was an Ambia in the clan who could use magic. Scorch also had some inherent magic abilities, and his abilities were unique in that he could manipulate any natural element that he wished. Unfortunately, he wasn't too practiced, so his magic was often weaker than he liked. He could imagine that a dragon with powerful Earth magic could build all these dens with relative ease, though. "Does anyone else have elemental powers?" he asked. He hoped he wasn't being too nosy at this point.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Next