A dense jungle full of surprises and new places to explore! Scientists are still trying to document species found here, while travelers flock here for a sense of adventure. Be sure to make lots of preparations though, as it can be quite dangerous! (+3 Precision, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tengel Rainforest

The indecisive Hunter (Open!, please join :))

Postby ShadowStitches » 06/05/2013 6:24 PM

Image (human form)
(this is sort of a try out of my character niner, or rather a try out if he would be one of my
'soldier' or barrack pets, since I myself am not so sure right now. so I'd LOVE someone to join this rp, and have their character to either try to convince him to join, or try to lead him away from the idea. He will (maybe) join the ranks of the Purines. since this is pre-war, a imperial character might also be interesting ;))

Niner looked up from the track he was currently following, and started to rise from his hunched position.
Slowly, fluidly. But something was bothering the strange man with the gas mask and the old hunting rifle.
And whenever he needed to seriously think about something, he usually went for a 'small game hunt'
or rather just for a walk with a bit of track reading excersise and possible hunting practice.

A few days ago, Mezmer approached him, asking him to maybe join the Purines in defending their land.
He knew that Mezmer would not just do this for serving his country, not in this life.He must follow other goals, or have some other reason, which made the whole matter all the more suspicious. And he himself was...well...
undecidet on the matter. for one, he was worried that something could happen, and he could have helped.
at least a little bit. and he did have quite a lot of combat experience, and was a very good marksman.
but on the other hand, he was strictly against war or 'organized violence' in a big scheme of things, given his not so white vested backgrond. yes, he was a hunter, and yes, he did team up with others occasionally, but that was something different. at least in his opinion.
He was quite happy that Sierra, his fowlbine, decidet to stay home today, leaving him alone with his thoughts,
while following the tracks of his potential prey.
Cannot say, I'm breaking the rules
If I can glue em back together.

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 672
Donate

Re: The indecisive Hunter (Open!, please join :))

Postby kabuto_rocks » 06/06/2013 6:52 AM

It was good to be back in her jungle. Though she had only been away a few days at most, as usual it felt like forever. She belonged here among the dense plants and the unknown creatures. Breathing in the earthy scent she let out a rare sigh of happiness. It was better to be here among the trees than out in the cities, especially around this time. She had heard war was brewing.

Kainda didn't think much of war, if indeed she thought about it at all. She supposed in a way it was just like a big hunt. Then again, she hunted for sport, for wealth, for knowledge or food. Did people war over these things or were they just petty arguments that had gotten out of hand? She had never considered it much. It was safer in her rainforest, doing what she did best-hunting.

She was not too far from home when a strange scent caught her nostrils. There was someone here. Frowning, her hand automatically went to the knife at her hip although she didn't draw it yet. With her skinny frame and pale complexion, Kaindra didn't look like she'd be much in a battle. Her eyes told a different story. They were as dark as her hair and stared unflinchingly at the world around her, as if daring it to question her. Her plain khaki clothes were designed to blend in and her large black boots screamed practicality. She might have seemed frail but inside she was as strong as steel.

Was this stranger friend or foe? She wasn't sure yet. But she was determined to find out

{1/5, 11}

{Hope you don't mind me joining in!}
kabuto_rocks
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 217
Donate

Postby ShadowStitches » 06/06/2013 8:19 AM

(no, not at all! :D)
Niner went on with his tracking, trying to focus on the task at hand, and let the gloomy thoughts slip to the side for just a tiny bit of time. Moving almost soundlessly, something suddently disturbed his concentration.
A movement? he focused his gaze towards where he thought he saw something, staying perfectly still.

He wore earth tones, and all tho he stood almost about 6.2 feet tall and was wirerly built, He was able to blend in easily into a lot of environments. The only  giveaway where he was currently standing the lenses of his mask, which refelected specks of light from time to time. After a short while of standing still, he decidet to investigate.

Soon, He saw clearly what had caused the iteruption. A woman. //so much for no company// he thought and sighed inwardly. His first thought was to just silently go an other way, but she was staring directly at him, and he was pretty sure she at least had an idea that he was there. He was...surprised. usually, others did not see him  coming that easily. Now pretty sure he would not get around to at least say hi to the woman, who looked like she had her hand on her knife, he decidet to make a few careful, hesitant steps toward her, raising one hand in a greeting manner.  "uhm...hello there" he said somewhat awkwardly, hoping that she would understand correctly from his open aproach that he did not intend to attack her.

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby kabuto_rocks » 06/07/2013 8:11 PM

A few seconds after the sound had grabbed her attention, the figure of the man moved into view. He blended in well to his surroundings and Kainda's eyesight wasn't great, but she could make out his silhouette and the flash of reflected light off something near his head. When he stepped closer she could make him out better. He looked quite curious indeed, a tall man wearing a strange gasmask and camouflaged clothes. She studied him carefully before speaking herself, trying to judge how much of a potential threat he might be.

"Hello," she said finally, lowering her knife when she saw he didn't seem to be a threat. She didn't go so far as to smile but her tone wasn't hostile and her eyes held more than a touch of curiousity, "What are you doing out here? I don't normally see others so deep in this rainforest." It was strange to see someone but she could not say she was particularly bothered by him. She knew this forest as well as anyone and if he was foolish enough to try and attack her, she was certain she could get away easily enough. Besides, he didn't seem like that was his intent. Most likely he was just another hunter like herself

{2/5, 12}
kabuto_rocks
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShadowStitches » 06/08/2013 2:15 AM

He was relieved that she lowered her knife. The last thing he now need was some sort of fight to
get into.He could understand her caution tho, since they where alone in the deep jungle. It was
better to be overly prepared then sorry. Before she greeted back, he tried to analyze her a bit.
She did, on the first glance, not look like your typical jungle dweller or hunter, given her frail
frame. Her clothes and whole posture however told a different story, and he learned well enough
to not judge someone by their looks.

"Hunting" he answered, pointing to the rifle strapped to his back "or well, rather just tracking actually.
must have gotten carried away tho, I only very seldom go this deep into this part of the Forest"
he tilted his head slightly "But you seem to be more often out here?" he asked, basically indicating the same question she gave him in that sentence.

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby kabuto_rocks » 06/09/2013 7:02 AM

Admittedly his mask unnerved her, particularly since she couldn't see his face very well. She always liked to try and size people up given that she wasn't too trusting of people on the whole. However, the fact he was a hunter and the fact that he clearly cared enough about it to get carried away made her feel more at ease. She hardly talked to anyone but hunters were different. They usually understood her.

"Yes, my home is around here," she smiled a little, then cursed herself for revealing that information so easily. Then again, he really didn't seem dangerous. The rifle could be problematic but she doubted he would just shoot her for no good reason. She decided to trust him for now, "It's very rare for me to meet someone out here, even other hunters. Either you were tracking something huge or you had something on your mind perhaps?" Personally she hoped for the former (it had been a while since she'd had a good hunt) but it would be just as interesting if it was the latter she supposed. At any rate, a conversation would probably be good for her. She might avoid people on the whole but she didn't want to become a total hermit

{3/5, 13}
kabuto_rocks
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShadowStitches » 06/09/2013 9:55 AM

Niner knew that his mask was...a bit hard getting used to to a lot of people. especially wary ones.
But as long as she would not explicitly and with enough 'force' ask him to take it of, he would leave it where it was. one could  interpret it as impolite, but really, it was a bit of self protection measure to him. Experience told him that both other people and himself could deal with the mask much easier then with...well...what lay beneath.

He watched her, before answering "ah, no, sadly no big game hunting today I'm afraid" he said with an almost
apologetic chuckle. "Its more the latter" he sighed slightly. actually, talking to someone other then Mezmer about the whole issue might not be a that bad idea. and she seemed interested enough.
"Its the whole war issue that has been up the last few days. I guess it is just...getting to me"

(so sorry for the short post, kind of busy today :/)

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby kabuto_rocks » 06/12/2013 6:52 AM

Her spirits fell slightly when she heard he wasn't hunting anything big, but she was intrigued again at the mention of the war. It seemed there was no escape from it, even in a place as secluded as here. Of course, she should have expected that. A war would affect the whole of Evelon after all.

"Ah. Funnily enough, I was just thinking about it myself. I made one of my rare trips into the city today and people were talking about the possibility." She studied him carefully, wondering what his take on the whole thing would be. She could tell from his attitude that he was probably conflicted but she wasn't sure yet what exactly could be causing the confliction. Was it whether or not to fight? Or perhaps he wasn't sure which side to join?

"I'm not really sure what to think about it to be honest. I've never thought much about war before but I suppose I'll have to now. Are you planning to fight?" Her question probably seemed abrupt but for once Kainda was interested and that didn't happen very often with people. She was keen to find out what she could

{4/5, 14}

{That's okay, it's exam season for me so I'm kind of busy too :)}
kabuto_rocks
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShadowStitches » 06/12/2013 9:25 AM

He nodded at her mentioning the city. "yes, its pretty crazy. All tho it makes one wonder how much of the talk of it is actually true, and how much just pushed up hysteria and propaganda" he said. Really, people tended to overreact, but he could not shake the feeling that in this case, the threat was all too real, and it was better to take the signs seriously then to be surprised by the events in the end.

She had a very similar mindset like him on the whole issue, which made him more comfortable, and showed him that talking about it indeed maybe was a good idea. "well, thats the question" he answered her last question with a somewhat unhappy chuckle. "Normally I would keep out of all this, at least as far as it would be possible.
I'm not a big friend of...well, the concepts of armies and the organisations behind it.
But on the other hand, this is my home, and I-" he seemed hesistant for a second, before deciding to complete his sentence. "-I sadly know how it feels to be driven out of a place by hostile takeover." he looked at her,
seemingly thoughtfull "so I think one could say I am a bit...torn on that descision. how about you?" he added carefully.

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby kabuto_rocks » 06/17/2013 12:31 PM

"Tell me about it!" She smiled, shaking her head a little at the thought of how ridiculous people could be. That was partially the reason she kept to herself so much. People irritated her in a way nothing else could. She was probably guilty of overgeneralizing far too much but she was stubborn. Once she got an idea, it was very hard for anything to change her mind.

She listened to him carefully, tilting her head slightly in thought as she analysed what he'd said. It was reassuring to meet someone who was undecided. She had been a little afraid that he would be a propoganda nut and that this was all some ruse to get her to sign up.

"I know how you feel. I have no interest in war but I think it's naive to think I can stay out of it completely. The whole of Evelon will be affected after all. I'm not sure I want to fight but...well, if the war is going to jeopardise this forest then a part of me feels I have a duty to protect it. I don't know if I will actually fight though. It's not quite the same as hunting, is it?"

{5/5, 15}

{I am so sorry for the long delay. My exams are finally over now so I can reply a lot faster ^_^}
kabuto_rocks
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShadowStitches » 06/17/2013 7:06 PM

(its okay, don't worry.
and just a very short one for me today, sorry :()

His eyes grew dark and worried at her last question, and he was thankfull that the lenses of the mask hid at least a bit of it. After a short he answered "well. yes it is different. some of the techniques and skills asked for are largely similar, but the whole..." he paused "Mindset is a completely different one. I think the main point is that the opposite side, the people we eventually would have to fight, hate. or are told to hate us, and the same vice versa will our side try to get us to despise our enemies." he seemed a bit...biter talking about it
"well...maybe, or most likely they wont need just pure fighters, but also medics, strategists and the like..."
he added thoughtfully-

(again, so so sorry for that short and useless post :/)

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby kabuto_rocks » 06/18/2013 7:56 AM

"Exactly," she nodded, pleased to find someone else who shared her views, "When I hunt animals there's no hate involved. Killing involves the same skills as you say but I've never killed out of hate. I don't suppose if I did agree to fight in the war that I'd be fighting with hate either though. The only reason I'd fight is to protect something." She looked as certain as ever but there was a slight hesitation in her voice. It was only natural really. How well did you know yourself anyway until you were pushed to the limits?

"That would be better perhaps. Although, my medical skills aren't great. I could plan a strategy perhaps but I'm more used to working on my own." The idea of doing something else in the war hadn't really occured to her before. She considered it carefully, gazing upwards at the canopy of trees as she did so. It would be preferrable not to fight of course but she wasn't sure she'd be much use elsewhere. The only thing she was really certain of was her ability to hunt

{1/5, 16}

{Aww, it's not useless!}
kabuto_rocks
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShadowStitches » 06/18/2013 10:29 AM

He simply nodded at her words, and hoped that she would be able to hang on to them. Hate sadly
was all to easy to give in to, once one was pushed far enough. but she seemed to him like a very headstrong person, from what he could tell from the short time they talked together.

He shrugged slightly. "well, they always find a niche where you can help them...scouting would be something that I might would like to do, but...these propaganda people like to 'forget' to mention that there are ways to help the land, other then joining the army. which is one of the things that really bugs me about that whole...organisation so to speak" his gaze trailed thoughtfully over the scenery. "that is all assuming that there even really will be a war. so far, as far as I can tell, its more of less speculation. A dangerous situation, yes. but maybe we get lucky" he truly soundet hopeful, but there was also something in his voice that hinted that he knew how...well foolish these kind of thoughts could be.
"do you know anyone who will definitely join the fight?"  he asked. She did not seem to be the type of person
associating with war 'enthusiasts', but neither did he.

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby kabuto_rocks » 06/21/2013 7:23 AM

Scouting...now that would be ideal. After all, she knew she was good at avoiding being spotted. She had to be for her job. Then again, she wasn't sure she could stand by and do that whilst others fought directly. It wasn't in her nature to, not when other people were involved at any rate.

"Yes, they're far too keen for us to all risk our lives," she smiled a little bitterly. Propaganda was not something she agreed with. Surely if people were going to fight, then they would do it anyway no matter what they were told? And those who wouldn't probably shouldn't be fighting in the first place. She supposed it was necessary really but that didn't mean she had to like it, "We can always hope I suppose. If the armies are actively recruiting though, that can't be a good sign. It must mean at least one of them fears the possibility."

His next question was an interesting one. Kainda tended to keep away from other people and as a result she didn't really 'know' many people. There was one person however with whom she had become recently acquainted.

"Not for definite, no. I suspect my...friend," she hesitated at the word. It wasn't quite right but it would do, "He might sign up. He'd probably go Purine. I hope he doesn't though. He's not that smart and he's too nice for his own good. War wouldn't suit him." She had tried to sound indifferent but she couldn't hide the worry in her voice. Bane was perhaps the one person she had actually grown fond of. To think of him in such an ugly environment as war bothered her, as much as she hated to admit it.

"What about you? Do you know anyone signing up?"

{2/5, 17}
kabuto_rocks
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShadowStitches » 06/21/2013 6:10 PM

She had a point there. As quickly as people tended to over react, a such...'drastic' reaction would not come
from nothing. If he liked or not, the war would most likely come. the question was just when.
"I'm afraid you are right. Well, at least it won't hit us unprepared"

Listening to her, he could hear the slight worry in her voice. And he really hoped that she would, if she indeed joined the army, not do it to help out her friend. As noble as it was, it usually helped no one, really. At least he thought so. But he did not really know her, and, it was a personal matter, who was he to lecture her? she knew that herself, most likely. "well. maybe he will change his mind soon enough..." he said carefully "but if he indeed wants to join, It would be most likely as hard to keep him from it as push someone to join who does not want to go..."  

to her question, he answered "Two actually, they also want to join the Purines. One I only know very briefly, but he seems to be...quite fond of fighting, so at least in that he should have no big problem, as long as he keeps his temper in check. and the other one is..." he also seemed to be not entirely sure just what Mezmer was to him."I guess you can say a former 'associate partner'  of mine, whom I know pretty good. Why he of all people wants to join the ranks is beyond me tho" he paused, before adding "I actually met with him shortly before I came here, and tried to talk me into signing up. which is also very unlike him..." He also seemed a bit worried at that thought...

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate