A dense jungle full of surprises and new places to explore! Scientists are still trying to document species found here, while travelers flock here for a sense of adventure. Be sure to make lots of preparations though, as it can be quite dangerous! (+3 Precision, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tengel Rainforest

New Beginnings (P)

Postby jobiehanna » 06/07/2013 12:40 PM

It hadn't been easy relocating to the Tengel Jungle, but she had done it. It'd been two and a half years since she'd left her farmlands, and she was finally beginning to feel at home. Viskso was proud of herself - and her plants. She couldn't have left them behind, so she dug them all up and re-potted them into travel size containers to make the trek. It had taken months to reach the Tengel with the large wooden cart, but she had made it. And the soil was so moist and full of nutrients! Her plants loved it as much as she did. It was definitely worth the hard work and travel.

The garden was finally getting back to the point it had been in before the raid in her previous location. The raid on her farmland had been horrible and had destroyed nearly everything. When she moved, a year later, nothing had been at the point it was back then. And it had taken a year or so for her plants to acclimate to the new weather in the Tengel. It's also taken months to clear trees, shrubs and such before she could plant them into the ground. And, of course, there were the precautions she had to take against the wild animals that could harm her precious plant family.

Visk thought back to the days when she was in the flatter, less dense Sekudui farmlands. There had been less vicious predators and she loved the more open spaces. But she had to leave those memories behind. There were too many bad ones there...

{1.1}

And I was runnin' far away
Would I run off the world someday?
Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and
I was dancing in the rain
I felt alive and I can't complain

Sale Breed Thoughts Wishes Records Home
jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4169
Donate

Re: New Beginnings (P)

Postby jobiehanna » 06/07/2013 11:33 PM

Five years ago...

It'd been an overcast day, but the rain hadn't started to fall yet. Viskso could sense the incoming thunderstorm just as she could sense that her plants needed the water it would provide. The summer had been a hot, dry one and irrigating the large garden had been very tough for her. But this storm was bringing rain she needed.

The young taosig had been weeding through the vegetable patch when the clouds began pouring down rain. She cleaned up her mess as quickly as possible and ran inside her house. The home was very simple and made from wood with a tin roof. She could hear the rain pounding on the roof, but it held and nothing got inside.

As Visk entered her small house she whispered the words that would change her form. In a matter of seconds she was a young human female with light brown hair that was tinted green. She looked to be about fifteen years of age, but her young appearance only disguised her wisdom and experience. She used this form to plant seeds, irrigate the fields, and cook and clean about the house. For all other activities she remained in her creature form. It was just easier to do things that way.

Viskso was washing her dinner dishes when she noticed something odd outside the window above the sink. Outside, there was a group of people and animals heading her way. She squinted, but couldn't tell who it was until they were among her garden. She was outraged, and went out to scold them in the cool rain.

But these were soldiers of the Imperial forces. What could she say to them? She swallowed her rage and allowed them to reside on her land for a week or so, but her plants were destroyed.

{1.2}

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 06/07/2013 11:39 PM

It had been at that point that Viskso sided with the Purine forces. The war was almost over when the event happened, so Viskso didn't get involved. It hadn't really affected her when she was out in the middle of nowhere with her plants anyway. Besides, she had been too young.

The taosig grunted as she pulled a particularly long rooted plant from the soil with her tusks. This time around, she was going to be involved if it ever came to that. But at the moment, she had other worries. One such being the many weeds sprouting in her garden. In Sekudui the weeds hadn't taken root so quickly. However, it was another story in this lush jungle.

As she worked, she thought about another event that happened shortly after her gardens were ruined.

{1.3}

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 06/08/2013 11:32 PM

Four years and eight months ago...

It'd been stormy for the past week, and her plants weren't liking it much. They had finally started to grow in nicely, and now the rain was
over watering them. Viskso tried as hard as she could to keep the rain away, but it was useless. She couldn't remember a time when it'd been this bad!

She retired early for the evening and dried herself off in the crackling fire she started in the fireplace. It didn't take long before the small home was warm and Visk was comfortable. She stretched out on the couch with a book about common fungi that could develop in times of too much rain and began to read.

Within an hour she felt herself nodding off. It was stormy, and she was
so tired. But then there was a knock on the door and she jumped up, the book falling to the floor with a loud bang. She mumbled under her breath as she picked it up and went to the door. She wanted nothing more than to send the knocker packing, but once she opened the door her mind was changed.

{1.4}

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 06/09/2013 12:08 AM

There was a man on her doorstep soaked through to the skin. His hair was so dark with rain and dirt that she couldn't decipher the color. He was thin and haunted looking, but what worried her the most was the blood coming from a gash on his leg. His eyes were a light grass green color and pained. "Help," he murmured before sinking to his hands and knees.

Frightened, she pulled him into the room and took a quick look outside. It was dark and there was no one in sight. Viskso shut the door and locked it with a click anyway. She dragged him over to the sofa and pushed the hair on his forhead back to feel the skin there. "You're burning up," she murmured as she looked at him. He was more relaxed now, and his eyes were closed.

Immediately she went to work cleaning him up. It took hours to get his leg wound cleaned up, and all the while he was barely conscious. She hoped he didn't notice her glances as she removed his clothing to better clean him. His chest and limbs were covered with small scars, but there were also bigger ones here and there. She noticed a deep scar beneath his right eye that wasn't quite healed all the way. He was lucky to not have lost that eye!

But Visk didn't offer any comments as she worked. She kept them to herself, not even questioning his motives and state. That could be done later, when he was more awake.

{2.5}

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 06/09/2013 2:17 PM

The man's name had been Caois. He was a deserter of the Imperialist army and had been on the run for a month. The scar under his eye was his punishment, he was supposed to lose the eye, but the commander had been a close friend and allowed him to get away with just the scar. It was a rather confusing story, something about leaving and getting caught by his best friend's troop. That's how he had lucked out.

Visk recalled the story quickly from her memory. It was a little fuzzy because of all the time that passed, but was still there. She'd never forget Caois and his kind manner. After he regained his strength he stayed on the farm with her and learned how to tend the plants. He seemed repentant for his fellow soldiers actions and genuinely interested in helping her fix the mess.

She looked sadly at the ground as memories of Caois flooded her vision. She found herself blinking back tears, unable to work through the happy memories that made her sad, but also the regular sad memories.

{2.6}

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 06/09/2013 2:28 PM

"Viskso, don't cry," a small voice said from the taosig's left side. Visk turned to see the small ash palmie that was her companion beside her. The mammal sniffed, looking back toward the earth. "Why are you sad?" The palmie already knew the answer, but she always asked anyway. It was always the same, whenever Viskso was sad and crying.

"Oh, Olivia, you know," she answered sadly. "I'm remembering Caois again. When will I forget him?"

The palmie offered a sympathetic look. "I don't know Visk," she admitted honestly. "One day, I'm sure. But do you want to forget everything?"

Visk found herself shaking her head slowly. She didn't want to forget everything, just the pain.

{2.7} {1.1}

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 06/09/2013 3:02 PM

Four years ago...

It'd been eight months since Caois first appeared on her doorstep. He was all healed up now and helping her out in ways she couldn't have imagined. He could lift things she couldn't, and (in his Leebra form) he could help her pull the wooden cart into town for market days over the summer. He was also amazing with the plants (not as good as she was, of course).

It'd been really cool to learn about Caois' leebra form, and seeing it was even more amazing. Visk loved learning new things about Caois, but also loved sharing things about herself. It was really nice to have someone to talk to after being alone so long. And she found herself drowning in the emotions she felt for him. But it was foreign to her, so she was very quiet about it.

It was a warm day in market when she thought maybe he felt something for her like she did for him. Visk was staying with their cart while Caois scouted for the best prices on items they didn't have. He came back with a list and a little blue velvet covered box. He seemed very excited as he presented her with the gift and told her to open it.

Inside was a seed about the size of a small walnut. It was shiny and black, and she knew what it was at once. It was an ash palmie seed, a very rare find. She could feel tears of joy in her eyes as she thanked Caois and gave him a big hug.

{2.8}

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 06/09/2013 3:18 PM

It'd taken a two weeks for the palmie to sprout, and another three months for the stalk to solidify. Two more weeks and the leaves began to form. Two addition months were required before the palmie could talk and move around. By the time it was a year old, the ash palmie was talking fluently and was named Olivia, because she preferred to be a called female rather than male or it.

Over the year it took Olivia to grow, Visk felt very much like a mother caring for a child. Caois was there to help as well, sort of like a father. But the bond Visk and Liv shared was much stronger than anything between Caois and Liv. When Caois left, Liv had chosen to remain with Visk. Like she'd want to leave the taosig anyway, right?

Olivia was three years old now and very wise for her years. At the moment she leaned against Visk to show her support. "It will be okay," she told her confidently. "It always had been."

Visk nodded, taking comfort  from the small plant. "I know," she agreed solemnly.

{2.9} {1.2}

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 06/09/2013 3:33 PM

Two years and six months ago..

It'd been a terrible fight. There was screaming and throwing objects across the room. Olivia cowered in the corner. Caios and Viskso stood in across the room from each other, each on opposite sides of the argument. Caois thought they should be an industrial farm so they could make more profit, but Visko thought otherwise.

"You don't understand," she shouted. "It's against everything I've worked for, everything I am! Simple, organic farming is what I want to do. To just grow enough to have food until next harvest. Supply fruits and vegetables to the local market. Industrialization will get us nowhere," she was yelling at him. How could he forget? Did he not know her at all? They'd been together for three years, two of which they had been a real couple. She knew everything about him, and he, her.

"But Vi," he was saying gently. "There will be more money, we could build a real house," he was trying to reason with her. "Maybe get a car, an internet connection, think about it."

Viskso bristled at the endearment 'Vi'. She'd always loved how he shortened her name, but now it bothered her. "When did you become to worried about money and luxuries of the world?" She tossed a glass his way and it shattered against the wall behind him. This wasn't the first argument. What was she doing wrong? Or was it him? Had he really changed so much over the years?

He was speechless now, his eyes searching for something reasonable in hers. Finally, he spoke. "I think, I think I should leave," he said evenly. "This isn't working. I'm obviously not who you thought I was. I'm done arguing. I'll pack my things and be gone as soon as possible," he said flatly.

Viskso didn't know what to say. Was he really giving up on them? On her? On the farm? She glared at him as she fought back the tears. "Fine," she said angrily. "Leave, I don't need you anyway."

He stormed off into the bedroom and she could hear him packing. She wanted to cry, but not while he was still here. She gritted her teeth and flung herself onto a kitchen chair to wait for him to leave.

{3.10}

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 06/09/2013 3:55 PM

Viskso woke up the next day - alone - in the bed they shared. She had trails of dried tears on her cheeks, and a band-aid over a cut she'd gotten cleaning up the broken glass. The fight was a blur of anger, and the aftermath was a blur of despair. She pulled her legs against her chest and wept again. He was gone, he wasn't coming back. Ever.

Three days later Viskso knew she had to get back to tending her plants. No one could care for them for her, and Olivia was exhausted from trying to keep up on it. She was such a tiny creature, and the garden was so big. So Visk got back into her routine, but found she didn't love it as much as she used to. She couldn't stay here with Caois' memory everywhere. It'd been a two months, but it was too much pain.

It was then that she decided to leave Sekudui. She spent the next week uprooting some plants, and gathering seeds from others. She also said farewell to her most faithful customers, leaving them with a few seeds so they could grow their favorite plants. She packed up everything she had and left the farm for the community  to deal with. They would find someone to take care of it.

It took four months to get to the Tengel rainforest.

{3.11}

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 06/09/2013 4:25 PM

That's where she was now. It'd taken a few months to get set up, and over the two years her small farm was thriving once more. She had a special ability at growing plants, thanks to her grandmother who taught her how to use the small amounts of magic in her blood. It'd been a blessing to learn of her magic, because it allowed her to change forms and grow plants more efficiently.

Visk glanced at the palmie by her side once more. She was forever thankful for the creature's loyalty. "Thank you," she murmured. Olivia nodded, her palm leaves bouncing wildly. "Let's call it a day," she went on to say. She knelt so that Liv could shimmy onto her back for quicker transport.

The sun had started to set by this point, and Visk didn't feel like gardening anymore. She walked slowly into the hut and then allowed Liv to get off her back before she turned into her human form. As a human, and was 5' 4" tall with a thin but muscular from. Her skin was tanned from her work in the sun in this form, and her hair was light brown with dark and light green streaks throughout it.

She pulled the long, thick hair back into a ponytail before she placed Olivia onto the counter and began preparing supper.

{3.12} {1.3}

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 06/09/2013 9:19 PM

It wasn't long before she had a sandwich ready for herself, and a glass of water with fertilizer in it for Olivia. The mix helped Olivia stay healthy, and she mixed it herself with the stuff she could find in the forest. She sat down at the table and began to eat as she stared at the clock above the door. She wished time would pass more quickly.

It was then that she heard a knock on the door. She started and locked eyes with Olivia. No one ever came out here, ever. She was surprised anyone could find the little home she'd built. There were only wild animal paths that she followed, none that she had made herself. She rose slowly and walked over to peek out the window. It was a tall cloaked figure that was knocking, but Viskso couldn't see the face. She felt her heart beat increase with panic. What if they were a murderer?

The figure raised a hand and knocked again. It wasn't an urgent knock, and they weren't trying to break the door down. Who could it be? She closed her eyes and walked over to the door and cracked it open. "May I help you?" She asked the stranger. But as the light from inside struck the face under the hood she felt her breath catch. What was he doing here?

{3.13} {1.4}

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 06/09/2013 9:31 PM

Those light grass green eyes were recognizable anywhere. At first surprise and loved overwhelmed her, but then anger replaced those emotions and her eyes flashed angrily. "What are you doing here?" Viskso hissed through clenched teeth.

Caios wasn't sure what he had expected. But her angry hiss wasn't it. He tried to look sincere and apologetic as he spoke. "I can explain," he said thickly. He thought back to the night he'd left her. Everyday had been hard, and he'd regretted his decision. It'd taken a few months to regain a cap to his anger, and when he'd gone back to the farm she was gone. "Please," he begged.

Vi glared at him, and Olivia's voice spoke from inside. "Let him in Visk, I'm sure he means no harm." Oh Liv, the voice of reason. And Viskso was going by that awful nickname, Visk, again. He like Vi so much better.

After a few more minutes hesitation Viskso opened the door. It was a relief to see her so alive and well. Her light green eyes (even lighter than his) were as  pretty as he remembered, even with the anger that burned inside them. "Thank you," Caios said as he stepped into the little house.

{3.14} {2.5} {1.1}

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 06/09/2013 9:43 PM

Viskso offered Caois a seat at the little wooden table, so he sat. She took the seat across from him and watched him expectantly. "Well?" She asked in an annoyed, angry tone. Liv watched from the counter, her bright, dark green eyes watching him.

Caois cleared his throat and watched Vi back. "It's a long story," he offered.

"That's fine, I have time," Viskso answered quickly.

"I'll start at the beginning then." Vi nodded her head slowly. "Well, after I left I went to the city. I was so angry I couldn't concentrate on anything, and holding a job was hard. I held onto my anger at you for a long time. A very long time. I was mad because you couldn't see what I could, that sustenance farming was a way of the past." He looked nervously over at Visk and could still see the angry fire burning there. "But then I realized that's why I loved you. You were a simple farm girl. And I loved that," he said passionately.

Viskso was touched by Caois' addmition, but she didn't let it show on her face. She kept her expression angry, her lips tight and brow furrowed. "Then what?" A little voice piped up from the counter. Visk wanted Liv to not act so interested, but she also knew that Liv knew she was interested in the story, but didn't want to show it. So Visk watched Caois stonily as she waited for his response.

{4.15} {2.6} {1.2}

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items