A dense jungle full of surprises and new places to explore! Scientists are still trying to document species found here, while travelers flock here for a sense of adventure. Be sure to make lots of preparations though, as it can be quite dangerous! (+3 Precision, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tengel Rainforest

Re: Fellowship of the Travelling Shards [Self; L]

Postby crow » 01/13/2015 1:57 AM

Charlie stayed a moment to make sure her mother was good and distracted before wandering up to the closet she'd shoved Faber into just moments ago. With any luck, she'd be too absorbed watching TV to notice anything else. That was how things usually went.

Only, when Charlie opened the closet, he wasn't there. She had a brief moment of panic before she remembered who and what he was. It wasn't as if she could blame him for not wanting to stay crammed into a closet, but she had no idea where he might have gone, and she wasn't about to go on a wild goose chase this late in the day.

Well, she'd been trying to get him to leave, hadn't she? Maybe she ought to have thought of this earlier.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby crow » 01/14/2015 1:48 AM

She didn't know whether to be relieved or disappointed about it. There shouldn't have been anything to be disappointed about since she didn't want to see him to begin with, but this was too much of an anticlimax. She had gotten all worked up, and for what? Nothing.

He might still be in the house though, so it was with some caution that she crept up the stairs to Elliot's room. She eased the door open slowly, bracing herself for a shock. All she saw, however, was Elliot sitting on the bed with a book. “Are you done talking?” he asked.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Charlie sighed, rubbing at her forehead with one hand.“You know, I'm not sure. Faber didn't... come through here, did he?” Elliot shook his head solemnly. “Ugh. Well, you stay here, and don't say anything if you see him, alright? Mom's home.” Not bothering to wait for his reply, she exited the room, pacing down the hall to the bathroom. Faber had never been in her house before, so she didn't know if he could turn up here. At least, she hoped he had never been in her house before. She was going to have some choice words for him if she ever found any evidence to the contrary.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

He wasn't in the bathroom either, or any of the other upstairs rooms. Charlie searched them all twice just to be sure, but she didn't see him anywhere. She almost went back down to see if he had escaped there, but the thought of facing her mother again kept her where she was. If he was dumb enough to materialize there, that wasn't her problem, and he could just deal with Charlie's parents himself.

She trudged back to Elliot's room feeling like she'd just worked a twelve-hour shift during the holidays. Her stint at work had been relatively easy-going today, but all that crap with Faber had sapped her dry.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/14/2015 1:49 AM

“Yeah, he's gone,” she said to her brother as she walked in, not even bothering to look up. She collapsed unceremoniously on the floor, her limbs sprawled out. She felt ready to fall asleep right then and there.

“Actually, Charlie...”

“Leave me alone for a bit, alright? I'm tired,” she said. Normally she would have been more patient; part of her felt bad for being short with him. Unfortunately, exhaustion trumped all else for the moment. She closed her eyes, enjoying the pleasant buzz of nothingness in her mind.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/14/2015 1:49 AM

“Um, Charlie, I really think you should---”

“I don't want to hear it, squirt,” Charlie said, more forcefully this time. She mentally kicked herself for being an ass, but she'd apologize to him in the morning. And to be fair, she had warned him the first time. He'd understand, right...?

“But I wasn't done telling my story.”

“For fuck's sake, Elliot,” Charlie snapped, sitting up, only to find herself face to face with---

--- oh.

Faber was sitting leaned against the wall opposite the bed. Charlie blinked, rubbed at her eyes and looked again. No, there he was; so much for the hope that she was hallucinating.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/14/2015 1:51 AM

“Where the hell were you?” she asked, too tired to put any real heat into her words. Faber pointed up: the roof. Oh. Okay, that made sense. It was actually a pretty smart move, though not one she would have thought of. Of course not. People usually didn't have doors on their rooftops, and Charlie's power limited her options rather more than his did.

Still, she pointed out, “Someone could have heard you moving around up there.”

“They didn't,” Faber replied. “Anyway, I told you what happened, just like you asked. What now?”
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/14/2015 1:52 AM

He looked at her expectantly, and she wanted so badly to tell him to just come bother her tomorrow. She wasn't in the mood for anything that required a lot of thinking anymore. Besides, Elliot was here, and she didn't want him to hear about this. He still didn't know about her abilities, and that would just be one more thing to explain.

She needed a moment. Reaching for the place from which her ability sprang, she willed everything to go still. One breath, two; she opened her eyes and everything was frozen.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/14/2015 1:52 AM

She waved a hand half-heartedly in front of Faber's face, wondering if his fragment somehow exempted him from her ability, but he didn't stir at all. Good.

She wished she could buy a few hours this way. A nap would have been nice at a time like this. The reality was she only had a few minutes' worth, but she would take what she could get. She didn't go anywhere, simply laid herself back down and lay still for the remainder of the time she had, pushing her ability to the limit to give herself even a few more seconds' reprieve. By the time everything snapped back into motion, she was dizzy from the exertion.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/14/2015 1:53 AM

It hadn't been a smart move. She didn't have any more ideas than when she started, and she didn't feel any more recharged. Faber was still waiting, and she had nothing for him. “Look, I can barely put two words together in my head right now, alright? It's not like we're going to leave tonight,” she said.

“You're leaving?” Elliot said, alarmed. Charlie winced. Shit. She really needed that nap.

“No, squirt. Maybe,” she amended, when Faber opened his mouth to interject. “I don't know yet. Don't worry, alright? It won't be for long and... I won't leave you here alone, I promise.” He still looked uncertain, but he nodded reluctantly.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/14/2015 1:53 AM

To Faber, she said, “If you have somewhere to go, go. I'm not going to be any use to you til I've slept some.” His face fell, which told her as much as she needed to know. “If you don't have anywhere to go, you can...” Were there any youth shelters nearby? Probably, but she couldn't recall any addresses. “Just stay here for the night, I guess. If my folks find you though, I'm pretending I don't know you, alright?” It was a stupid thing to do, letting him stay, but what was he going to do? Plus he saved her ass once, so she owed him something, and shelter was the kind of favor she was willing to offer. A cross-country trip to the back end of nowhere was a different matter entirely, however.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/23/2015 9:32 PM

Faber looked grateful for it, which almost made her regret the offer all over again. Still, she said, “My room's the one opposite the bathroom. Just a little further down that way.” She indicated the direction with a wave of her hand. At the mention of her room, he looked askance at her, and Charlie rolled her eyes. “What, like I'm going to spend the night with you? I'll be sleeping here with Elliot.” That was the usual arrangement anyway. Her own room might as well have been a spare bedroom outside of summer.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/23/2015 9:33 PM

She figured he'd be cold in there, but it was probably still better than being out on the streets, right? Well, she didn't know for a fact that he was homeless, but he sure did look it.

“Oh,” Faber said, smiling his sheepish relief. He shuffled off, though not without a few more backward glances at them, as if she was going to run off or call him back or say something sharp. She watched him go, then crawled onto the bed. Elliot shuffled aside to make room for her, putting down the book that he had been reading.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

The look on his face said he wanted to say something, or maybe that he wanted her to say something to him. If he had questions, however, he didn't ask, and she was content to lie there in silence.

Just as she was starting to drift off, Elliot said, “Charlie, there's something going on that you can't talk to me about, isn't there?” There was a pause, and perhaps he was waiting for a response, but she gave none. “I don't mind,” he said, though Charlie doubted that was the truth. “But whatever you have to do, stay safe, okay?” He kissed her on the forehead goodnight, just as she did for him when he had been younger. Then he hopped off the bed to turn out the lights before scrambling under the covers with her.

Her last waking thoughts were of her brother. Charlie slept deeply and dreamt of nothing.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

She woke: her watch said it was Sunday, five minutes past nine in the morning. Sunlight poured in from the window, looking deceptively warm. In the winter, any and all sunlight was a lie; as soon as she stepped outside, she knew she'd find it to be sharp and frigid. The overcast days, ironically enough, were the warmer. Still, inside the confines of the house, the sun offered a bit of extra warmth if she sat in it long enough. That was just what she did, rolling out of bed to collapse in the puddle of light on the carpet.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext