A dense jungle full of surprises and new places to explore! Scientists are still trying to document species found here, while travelers flock here for a sense of adventure. Be sure to make lots of preparations though, as it can be quite dangerous! (+3 Precision, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tengel Rainforest

Re: Fellowship of the Travelling Shards [Self; L]

Postby crow » 01/23/2015 9:51 PM

Elliot was already awake, and she could hear the sounds of him washing up from the bathroom next door. He walked in shortly after, giggling at the sight of her sprawled out on the floor. “You look like one of those fat old cats,” he said nudging her with a foot. She made a half-hearted hiss and pawed in his general direction with one hand.

But he ruined the moment by mentioning, “That guy from before isn't there anymore. I looked, and I can't find him anywhere.”
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby crow » 01/23/2015 9:51 PM

That got her attention, and Charlie sat up with a groan. It wasn't even worth questioning Elliot about it. This sounded like exactly the kind of thing Faber would do, for all that her acquaintance with him had been a short one.

“If he's on the roof, I'm going to throw him out,” she muttered. She edged closer to the window to see if she could spot him, but of course she couldn't. The roof extended past the walls, and it wasn't as if she had the power to see through overhangs. “Faber, if you're playing a joke, it's not very funny,” she called.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/23/2015 9:52 PM

There was no response. Charlie listened for the sound of movement on the roof, but she couldn't hear anything. Wait, did that mean he was really gone? She hadn't just--- no, she hadn't dreamt it; Elliot remembered him too. “Oh, for---” She wasn't going to look for him again, see if he came back and tried to talk her into going anywhere with him this time.

But Elliot had joined her at the window, and now he pointed at something in the yard. “Charlie, look. That's him, isn't it?” She followed his gaze to the tree in the yard, and lo and behold, there he was.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/23/2015 9:52 PM

She expected to find him standing there, maybe doing something weird, but instead he was sitting curled up at the base of the trunk. Upon closer inspection, she realized that he looked a lot like he was... sleeping there. She frowned, brows furrowed in confusion. “The hell is he doing over there?”

“I dunno,” Elliot said. “I don't think he was trying to leave. His guitar's still in your room.” Come to think of it, that was right; Faber didn't have his guitar on him. This was the first time she had seen him without it. It made him look smaller, barer, a little more devoid of color.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/23/2015 9:54 PM

She debated just leaving him there, but curiosity nagged at her. Before she knew it, she found herself donning another few layers and descending the stairs. She paused, looking around warily, but her parents were either still asleep or at least still in their rooms. Stepping outside, she shivered in the cold. It was even sharper than she had anticipated. A thin layer of frost covered everything, giving the already yellowed lawn a paler cast. The ground was still free of snow, but it wasn't far off now, and already some of the neighbors had their Christmas decorations out. Why anyone would choose to sleep out on a night like this was beyond her.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/23/2015 10:15 PM

“Hey, you.” She kicked him, not hard enough to really hurt but harder than she had to. Her mood had already been soured by his little stunt this morning, and here was her chance to take it out on someone. He jolted awake, wild-eyed despite the fact that he had been asleep. His hair was a mess and the dark circles under his eyes hadn't improved one bit. Slowly, he took in her presence and his surroundings, then sagged back as the tension drained from him. “Were you expecting someone else?” she asked. Her tone was sarcastic but she genuinely wondered what had him so wound up.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

He blinked at her, as if the fog of sleep was only now coming to claim him. “Oh,” he said, “I was... I must've had a nightmare.” He didn't shiver at all, for all that he was dressed worse than she was for the cold. She supposed he could have just been used to it, but she could see that his fingers and toes were turning blue. He was still human, wasn't he? At this point, she wouldn't have been altogether surprised to find that he wasn't, but so far there wasn't much evidence besides the fact that he was weird.

“You're going to have to do a little more explaining than that,” she said, crossing her arms. He laughed weakly, rising to his feet and wincing at the stiffness in his legs.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“I have... sometimes I have bad dreams, and I go places without meaning to. Just outside, mostly; they happen because it's too warm.” Too warm, that was what he'd said. She'd never heard of anyone complaining about it being too warm in her room this time of year before. Maybe there was more evidence for him being an alien than she'd thought. Faber took in her sceptical expression and shrugged. “It's not something I can control. I've tried before.”

She sighed. “You're making the prospect of traveling with you sound more and more appealing,” she said. “Anyway, you'd better get your ass inside before someone sees you here. People sleeping under trees isn't exactly a common sight in these parts.”
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 01/23/2015 10:21 PM

He didn't argue, and sat quietly all through breakfast, picking at his food. Elliot tried several times to ask him if something had happened, but he only offered a strained, slightly vacant smile in reply. Eventually Elliot gave up and concentrated on his food, though he still snuck glances at Faber from time to time. For her part, Charlie resolutely ignored him. If he wanted to be mysterious and taciturn, that was his business, not hers.

Faber offered to do the dishes, and Charlie let him, though she looked at him incredulously when he asked. Now she watched him at it, hunched over the sink. He hadn't mentioned Akala yet, or the fragments, or any of what they'd spoken about yesterday. Was that part of his strategy? If so, it was working; she could feel the dread and anticipation gnawing at her gut.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/17/2015 5:53 PM

Quietly, he said, “You don't have to worry about leaving. I could bring you back every night. Would that... Would that help?” His voice was pitched low, and Charlie snuck a glance at Elliot, who was reading on the living room couch. He didn't show any signs of having heard what Faber said. She sighed a little; well, at least he'd broached the subject.

And the thing was, it would help. As far as solutions went, it wasn't even half bad. She could have come back by herself, maybe, depending on where it is they were going, but Faber had already demonstrated that his teleportation was more versatile.

She mulled over his offer and said, “Do you have an upper distance limit?”
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/17/2015 5:54 PM

“I can just make two jumps,” Faber replied. “Three, maybe. However many we need. I'm used to it.” He said it so casually that it made Charlie wonder at his confidence. Just how much did he use his powers? Although, now that she thought about it, he didn't make any effort to hide them from her. Maybe he just didn't care--- and why would he? If things ever got real hairy for him, he could up and disappear whenever she wanted.

There was something enviable about that. Not that Charlie would give up the attachments she had, but sometimes she wished she could do as she liked, or even just get away for a little while. She didn't, since there would be hell to pay if she did, but on the other hand at least she had people that would worry for her if she vanished out of the blue.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

She sighed. “I still have my job. And school,” she said, though she knew as soon as she mentioned the latter that she was just looking for excuses. How long ago was it that she was looking for any excuse not to go to school? Life sure was funny like that. When she glanced up at him, Faber had turned to stare at her, though he was still scrubbing at a plate with his hands. He didn't look like he bought it either. Damn.

“Well, fine. I'll go. But I can't be doing this for too long--- I mean it. I need the money from work, and people are going to start wondering about where I am during the day,” she said. There were people he could warn--- his brother, maybe Dave and Cammie--- but she wouldn't be able to explain anything like the truth to anyone else, and she couldn't think up a convincing lie for why she was going to be gone every day for the next foreseeable future.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Even the prospect of explaining part of this to anyone she knew made her feel uneasy. It had been her secret for so long, and it was so implausible... She could feel a wave of panic start in her gut at the mere thought of it.

Faber, that asshole, was smiling. “Is something about this funny to you?” she grumbled. He gave a soft huff of laughter, but even she knew it wasn't that. His smile looked more relieved than anything, and the tension in his shoulders had ebbed a little.

“I was just... afraid I'd have to do it alone,” he said.

What? She hadn't even been aware that that was an option. “Oh no, feel free to, by all means,” she said. “Don't feel bad about leaving me out, really.” If only that were possible. She'd already said yes and he knew it.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/18/2015 2:16 AM

“So, any advice on what to pack?” Charlie said. The two of them were in her room now, and there was a beat-up-looking old backpack lying open on the floor. Faber sat perched on the window ledge, already looking distractedly out. He seemed anxious to be on their way, but Charlie had insisted on packing. Maybe he was fine going on random trips with nothing but his clothes and his dumb guitar, but Charlie wasn't about to head in blind and unarmed.

Faber shrugged, not even bothering to look at what she was doing. Alright, to be fair it was kind of a stupid idea to ask him anyway. She started to pack her toothbrush, since that was one of the first things she packed for a trip of any kind, before realizing that she was going to be back home in the evenings. There would be no point taking it.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/18/2015 2:16 AM

She did stuff a roll of toilet paper into the pack just in case. If they got caught out in the wilderness and had to take a dump, or... Well, toilet paper had other uses too. After a bit of deliberation, she took a flashlight, a can of bear spray, a length of rope and a change of clothes. She had a lighter on her, and a few knives hidden on her person. It was hard to tell exactly what they would need without knowing where they were going to go, and she supposed if things got really bad they could just come back... She was overthinking this, probably, but better safe than sorry.

The only other thing she really wanted to take was food. She frowned. There wasn't much in the fridge that lent itself to being stuffed in a backpack--- not if she expected it to come out intact and not leak on everything, anyway. Besides, her folks wouldn't be happy to find that she'd cleared out half the leftovers.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext