A dense jungle full of surprises and new places to explore! Scientists are still trying to document species found here, while travelers flock here for a sense of adventure. Be sure to make lots of preparations though, as it can be quite dangerous! (+3 Precision, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tengel Rainforest

Re: Friends in Strange Places [self]

Postby crow » 06/25/2015 5:27 PM

“An animal, huh?” Hiroshi mused, rubbing at his chin. “Mmm. Can't say we've had any trouble of that kind lately either, though it's a good deal more likely than bandits. I wager---”

“Pah. I'll tell you what's been nipping at your packs.” Li nearly jumped out of his skin at the sound of that voice. He hurried to cover his ears, while Hiroshi smiled and made room at the table.

“Mrs Nakamura! Have a seat here,” he said, but the old woman waved him off.

“Save your breath, Hiroshi. I just came by to bring you some peaches.” She lifted the bag, heavy with fruit, so the two of them could see its contents. “I'd say it's a good thing I got here when I did though. Bandits my ass. You haven't paid your respects to the guardian, have you?” She pointed an accusing finger at Li, who was currently trying to position himself so he could put the table between him and Mrs Nakamura.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby crow » 06/25/2015 5:28 PM

“Aw, don't scare him, Mrs Nakamura,” said Hiroshi good-humoredly. “That's an old farmer's tale. The shrine's been abandoned since I was a little boy!”

Mrs Nakamura snorted. “That just shows how much you know. Why d'you think we never get bandits, huh? Or why our livestock never takes sick, and all the goats birth right, and ain't no bear ever come down an' make off with one of the children?” Her tone left no room for argument, though Li was still inclined to be sceptical, considering the events of his arrival. She looked Li up and down and spat on the ground again. “I knew this one was bad news the minute I laid eyes on him,” she muttered. “If the guardian's taken a disliking to him, you'd best kick him out now, Hiroshi. Don't want to invite no bad luck on your own house.” With that, she bustled off, much to Li's visible relief.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 06/25/2015 5:34 PM

However, Hiroshi looked more troubled now than he had before, which wasn't a good sign as far as Li was concerned. “Er, you don't think she's right, do you?” he asked hesitantly, searching the man's face. Hiroshi's frown deepened, though he didn't say anything right away. Li waited uneasily, alternating between watching Hiroshi and looking out at where Mercury was tied outside. He couldn't see anything other than her ears over the wall around the yard, but it was some comfort to know that she was still there.

Finally, Hiroshi spoke: “Well, I don't think much of the old myths, no. We live a good, clean life here, that's all there is to it. But the elders, they're a superstitious lot, you know, and we've got too many of them to ignore them all if they've made up their mind about something.”
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 09/16/2018 10:02 PM

There was a distinctly uncomfortable pause as Hiroshi stroked his neatly trimmed beard. Li could only sit and wait for his verdict. e couldn't bring himself to plead his case; he was only here on account of the man's hospitality, and one could hardly demand that sort of thing... Or, well, one could, but it was bad form, and not very likely to be successful in the long run.

Eventually, Hiroshi smiled at him. "If you're worried I'll drive you out of town, you can rest easy. We're reasonable folk, elders aside, and if you're just passing through, I'm sure Mrs Nakamura will calm down eventually."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 09/16/2018 10:05 PM

"Oh, yes, absolutely! We're not planning on putting down roots here," said Li hurriedly. He wasn't saying it to appease the man either; they really were travelers, and hadn't intended to stay on for more than three days--- and quite possibly much less, especially considering the fact that at least one local had already taken umbrage to their presence here. "We just wanted to take a rest stop, see if we could sleep under a roof tonight. Say, there isn't a guesthouse in town, is there?"

"Not a guesthouse exactly, no," said Hiroshi. "But I know a few families who wouldn't be opposed to putting someone up for a night or two in exchange for some coin. I've got a couple of empty rooms myself."

[Wild Pet Found]
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous