A dense jungle full of surprises and new places to explore! Scientists are still trying to document species found here, while travelers flock here for a sense of adventure. Be sure to make lots of preparations though, as it can be quite dangerous! (+3 Precision, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tengel Rainforest

A Change of Plans [P, Spring & I]

Postby FieldsofIris » 05/12/2017 6:10 PM

ImageImage

Andromeda pulled the knot tighter around the tree branch, then dropped her hands with a nod of satisfaction at her handiwork. Turning around, she patted the side of her panting Moss Dog as she walked towards the fallen tree blocking their path. Sighing heavily, the tall woman slid a hand up through the sweaty bangs plastered to her forehead. She squeezed her eyes shut, letting the coolness of her fingers rest against her warm face. She didn't have time to hang around, it was already after noon!

Lifting her leg, she nudged at the tree with her foot lightly, then kicked it. She grimaced, dissatisfied with her findings. Though she had been prepared for nearly any scenario, Andromeda certainly hadn't packed a saw in her small bag. Her dagger wouldn't do the trick either...

With a frustrated grunt, she kicked the tree again. Before she could further lose her hold on her emotions, she turned and made her way back towards the Moss Dog. Her companion seemed to sense the irritation and shifted uncomfortably as she approached. Andromeda, seeing her companion's discomfort, snapped out of it, and her annoyance shifted into defeat.

She grabbed her knapsack off the saddle and plopped down at the base of the tree. Looking for another path seems to be the best option... She thought as she slid the map out of her backpack. For now, anyway. She needed to save her strength for later, not spend it on moving trees. After a final glance up at the tree, Andromeda shook her head and began scanning the map.

And is there a God up there? 'So,
where does he hide?
'Cause the devil is raging inside my
mind
And is there a moment where it all
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 170
Donate

Re: A Change of Plans [P, Spring & I]

Postby SpringsSong » 05/12/2017 9:04 PM

Vadara.  Light Elf form.

It had been some time since Vadara had found herself in this strange world, and it was evident that she wasn't getting back to Amalur.  She decided that the best idea would be to take it all in stride and work with what she had--which was a lot, if the Fateweaver's indication when he tried to read her fate had been any indication.  She decided that she would treat this place in a similar manner to how she treated Amalur--explore everywhere that she could.

By some stroke of luck, she'd managed to retain her weapons when she ended up in this world.  And so, with her faeblades on her back and her chakrams holstered at her side, she trudged her way through this rain forest, her hair pulled back from her pale blue skin as she looked around carefully.

It was at about this time that Vadara heard... well, she wasn't sure what it was she heard.  At the very least, it sounded like someone making their way through the foliage, which to Vadara indicated that there was someone--or something--else in this rain forest, on the path that she was on right now.  She continued on the path that she was on, hoping that whoever or whatever was out there would either be friendly, or ignore her completely.
Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind
Thinking I can see through this to see what's behind
Got no way to prove it, so maybe I'm lying
Take a look in the mirror, what do you see
Can you see it clearer, or are you deceived in what you believe?
Don't ask my opinion, don't ask me to lie
Then beg for forgiveness for making you cry
'cause I'm no prophet or Messiah
You should go looking somewhere higher

I'm only human, I make mistakes
I'm only human, I do what I can
I'm only human, that's all it takes to put the blame on me

Don't put the blame on me

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5883
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 05/12/2017 10:21 PM

After 15 minutes of trying to figure out where she was in the forest, Andromeda threw down the map in a huff, startling the dozing Moss Dog at her side. At this rate, she wasn't even going to get to the end of the forest by nightfall, let alone her destination! She pushed herself into a standing position and dusted off her pants, her mouth twisting into a snarl. Her irritation was quickly morphing into anger, causing her to change into a half-shift.

Stomping over to the fallen tree, she gave it a strong glare before sliding her clawed hands beneath it. With an angry roar, she dug her claws into the rotten bark and heaved, sending the tree flying towards the side of the path. Behind her, she could hear her Moss Dog spooking in the underbrush, which joined the cacophony of animals escaping the area in fear.

She panted heavily, waiting for her half-shift to fade before turning around. After another minute or so, the sounds of panic faded from the jungle around her, and she finally began to come back into herself. Andromeda felt the familiar sense of calmness wash back over her, and she inhaled deeply as she felt the rest of her shift fade.

With one more deep breath, Andromeda turned around, her face stoic once more. But her eyes quickly widened as she spotted a figure back down the path a bit. She froze, feeling her blood turn to ice. Had they seen her just now?!

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 05/12/2017 11:00 PM

Vadara continued walking for some time, stopping when she heard a cacophony of frightened sounds.  Her first instinct was to draw her weapons, but she ignored that in favor of her second instinct--take cover behind a tree.  Once she was behind a tree, she peered out from behind it to see what was happening.  From her position, she could see a person--at least, she was fairly certain it was a person--panting heavily as they looked at a fallen tree.  Once Vadara was certain that she was in no immediate danger, she made her way back to the path.

Before long, she realized that the person was looking at her--yes, they were looking at her, and they had frozen.  Vadara slowed her own approach at this point in time.  Her first thought, naturally, had been that this stranger was staring at her because of her appearance--she was carrying blades that were as long as her body, and then circular blades at her waist, on top of wearing leather armor.  That the person was wondering if Vadara had seen them never crossed her mind.  Vadara approached slowly, coming to a stop about five yards away from the person (who was, now that she was closer and could see, a woman).

"Who... are you?" she asked, the language sounding foreign coming from her mouth.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 05/12/2017 11:26 PM

Andromeda's eyes flitted over the expression of the elf-like woman in front of her. If she wasn't sick with nerves about the situation, she would have realized the woman reminded her of the books she used to read when she was still in school. But, the good memories would have to wait, as Andromeda's heart pounded loudly in her ears.

Yes, the stranger seemed wary - after all, who wouldn't be in their situation? - but there didn't seem to be any fear... or worse, horror, in her eyes. As the woman stopped a ways down the path, Andromeda relaxed a bit, straightening into a more confident posture. Her expression, however, remained stoic, save her still-flickering eyes.

As the woman spoke, Andromeda froze once more. This person didn't seem like they were from around here, but the curious tone with which they spoke was oddly comforting. Despite the innocent nature of the encounter, Andromeda still felt apprehensive, especially with the equipment the new arrival was sporting. After a moment of deliberation, she threw caution to the wind.

"My name is Andromeda," she said in a smooth alto, her voice quiet after the dissonance from before. "Who are you?" Her head tilted slightly with curiosity, nerves fading with each passing moment without conflict.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 05/12/2017 11:41 PM

"...Vadara.  That is what I am called," the Ljosalfar replied after a couple of moments, noticing that the woman was apprehensive of her.  She was, of course, not wrong to be--her faeblades intimidated many people, and that was often before they had a chance to see her use them.  However, she felt that, for now, she could put the weapons aside, so she took the leather pack off of her back and slowly put her weapons in it--keeping them low and with the blades down, indicating that she did not mean to attack.

"There are not... many people here," she said, looking around.  She had to pause as she thought of what to say--thinking of what words to use to try and convey what she was saying.  "It is... beautiful, but I am guessing that with that... comes danger," she said, indicating her pack, which housed her weapons.  "Forgive.  I did not mean to... startle?  Yes, I think that is the word," she said.  "I know of many such places that are like this, and being... caught, without means to defend oneself, was not wise."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 05/13/2017 12:09 AM

Something in Andromeda's chest twinged as she watched the woman - Vadara, she had said - lower her weapons to the ground. This was an act of trust for her, intimate in a way that she wasn't used to anymore, and the thought made her heart swell with warmth, yet rise to her throat with fear. Andromeda also understood that the stranger wasn't aware of what she was, or what she could do. The realization of that crashed over her like a cold wave, and she quickly moved away from thoughts of how Varadar's skin was almost the same blue as Andromeda's hair.

Instead, she continued to listen to the woman speak. It seemed as if Vardara was not entirely familiar with the language, so Andromeda waited patiently for her to articulate her thoughts. Though, Andromeda couldn't help but to laugh a bit at the last sentence, mouth splitting into an amused grin. She quickly gained control of herself though, explaining quickly as to not offend the woman.

"Ah! I'm sorry, please forgive me," she blurted in a rush, hand still covering her mouth partially. "I am trained in hand-to-hand combat," she articulated slowly, moving her hands in a way to help emphasize her meaning. "I promise, I came prepared." She smiled sheepishly at Vardara, pulling the dagger and sheath from her belt before gently tossing it onto the ground, as well.

"And I forgive you!" Andromeda added on quickly, as almost an after-thought. "I should have been more aware." Her smile shrank a bit. "But, from where have you come?" She scanned the path behind the woman, seeing no steed or further equipment. "It seems you have only equipment for fighting, and not travel..." Her brow furrowed in confusion.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 05/13/2017 5:33 PM

Vadara looked back at her pack, and then, back up at Andromeda.  After several moments, she said, "Where I come from... one expects to fight when they travel.  My world was... not at peace when I was--how best to say... brought here."

That was, indeed, about the best way she could think to put it simply.  But then, she realized that this would open up more questions--like the one that had already been asked.  With the reception she had received before, she was suddenly uncertain how to say it plainly.

"...If you mean where I was most recently, I believe it is called the Sa'fir Coast," she said.  "If, however, you mean where I... originated from, then... not this world," she said simply.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 05/13/2017 6:34 PM

Andromeda's confusion only grew as Vadara began her explanation. Her world? Did the woman mean her background and home life? Or... could it really be?

It seemed so, as Vadara finished her explanation stating just that. A different world! She really was from a different... planet? Universe? Andromeda was bursting with questions at this point, but pushed them into the back of her mind for later. She instead focused on the matter at hand, and decided to ask the important questions.

"Then... what brought you here? To Evelon?" Andromeda asked timidly. It wasn't that she was afraid of the stranger, but it never hurt to be wary. "And what brings you through the rainforest?"

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 05/13/2017 6:52 PM

"I am not sure why I ended up here, in... this place," she said, gesturing around her--likely indicating that she meant Evelon as a whole, and not just the rainforest.  "I found myself on the wrong end of the staff of a Tuatha Deohn who thought that--"

Here, she cut herself off.  It was very likely that what she had started saying--aside from still trying to grasp the language--would make no sense to the other woman.  She shook her head after a moment and said, "No.  I will have to tell more of my story for that to make sense.  The... simple, I believe?--version of it is, this fae wanted something I have, but is not mine to give.  For that, she thought I deserved death--or to be torn from Amalur... my home."

Turning her attention to an easier question--why she was in the rainforest--she said, "It seemed like the only route to... Jawan?  ...another city, one that I was told was larger than the one I awoke in."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 05/13/2017 7:55 PM

During Vardara's recollection, Andromeda remained contemplative as she attempted to piece together what she could about the stranger. When it came to the part about being torn from home unwillingly, she couldn't help but physically wince in painful sympathy. Andromeda turned away from those dark memories quickly, and instead addressed Vardara once more.

"I am sorry for your misfortune," she said, the genuine sadness in her voice surprising her. "I, too, know the feeling of being forced from my home." After giving a smile that failed to reach her eyes, she quickly moved onto the next topic.

"But, why Jawan?" Though she wasn't entirely familiar with the area, herself, Andromeda knew that the city wasn't always the best place to seek help from strangers. She held her tongue, though, deciding to wait and see why Vardara decided to travel there.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 05/13/2017 8:07 PM

"When I asked where I should go, I was told that it was a port city," Vadara said.  "Many ships pass through there--the person I spoke to... she made it seem like more ships go there.  She thought that, perhaps, I might hear news of others who have come to be in this world who came from others--that I might learn of how they came to be here, and if any others from my own world ended up here."

She knew the likelihood of this was slim-to-none.  While magic was not unique to her, or her kind, she was no longer a part of the tapestry of fate in Amalur.  Perhaps that was why the spell that was meant to end her sent her elsewhere--because, perhaps, she was not meant to be in Amalur anymore.

Being in a strange world where almost nothing made sense and being alive was better than dying in the world she knew--again.

"I, too, am sorry that you were forced from your home," Vadara said after a few moments of silence.  While she was certain that this woman's experience was far different from her own, few things hurt more than being torn from the home you'd known your whole life.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 05/13/2017 8:27 PM

Andromeda nodded along, though she knew that the theory was simply grasping at straws. But, she also knew that sometimes, hope and an unlikely lead were all one had. Jawan seemed a good of place as any to start.

As all of the information Vardara told her began to sink in, she found herself floundering about what to do next. The whole situation was quite awkward, honestly, what with the two of them in a stand off of sorts. Though they were getting to know one another quickly, and rather intimately according to Andromeda, they still stood opposite of one another as if enemies. For the first time in years, Andromeda found herself looking to get closer to a stranger. At least this person had some sort of idea of what she went through.

Suddenly, an idea came to her. "Do you know how to get to Jawan?" She asked.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 05/18/2017 10:14 PM

"I only have a vague idea," Vadara said.  "But, I've found my way to other places with less to go on and no one to look to for help before, and made out just fine.  In my homeworld... well, it was all quite complicated," she said sheepishly.  "We were in the middle of a war, and lots of people were dying, and our enemy was pretty much immortal.  There wasn't really any way that we could win, it was more a matter of how long we could survive against them."

She frowned, though, as she recalled the sensation of dying.  She had taken a blade to the gut, and she had bled out--slowly.  As her last breath escaped her, she remembered... something falling out of her hands, and then, waking up mixed in a pile of corpses.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FieldsofIris » 05/19/2017 8:38 PM

Andromeda winced in sympathy. "I'm sorry," she said. What else was there to say? It's not like she could offer words of advice. Normally, she would let the conversation die here and leave, but something hidden deep inside her felt the need to help. It had been so long since she had wanted to help... After seeing the other woman a bit lost in her own thoughts, she cleared her throat.

"Well, according to my map - " She had to pause a moment, twirling around as her hands felt around her pockets in search for said item. After an awkward length of time, she spotted her map a few feet behind her, and moved to retrieve it. Quickly turning back, she kept her face turned down towards the soggy paper to hide her embarrassment. " - It seems like..." She paused once more as she turned the map around to the correct position. "A five days travel by foot to Jawan."

"We could share my Moss Dog, which would cut travel time to only a day." Andromeda looked up from the map, then realized that she had walked forward, covering nearly half the distance between her and Vadara. She halted immediately, not knowing how the other woman would feel about suddenly approaching a stranger.

where does he hide?
mind
makes sense?

~Amen by Amber Run~

FieldsofIris
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items