A dense jungle full of surprises and new places to explore! Scientists are still trying to document species found here, while travelers flock here for a sense of adventure. Be sure to make lots of preparations though, as it can be quite dangerous! (+3 Precision, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tengel Rainforest

Re: The Tengal Journey [Hunt]

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 3:36 AM

I create small gusts of winds to try to clear a path. I'm able to use the strong gusts to dig up small patches of earth as I walk. I'm careful to not disturb too much and make a mental note to fix it on my way back. When I reach the river, I see Maverick quite far down.

"Hey Mav!" I yell to him.

"You're coming out all the way down there?" he shakes his head. "I'm going to have to teach you to track. You couldn't even follow my path."

"I really wish you would," I say agreeing.

"Do you know how to fish?" he asks.

"Did you bring a pole?" I ask.

"No," he says.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1243
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 3:40 AM

Mav sat on the stone weaving grass. I could see he already had one grass basket in the water.

"Mav, do you really expect that to catch anything? Grass won't hold." I say.

I pick up a piece of grass and rip it quickly to prove my point.

"It won't catch anything big, but they are stronger than you may think. One blade of grass is weak, but you would be surprised of the strength of many weaved together." Mav pulls on his half-weaved basket to prove his point.

I sit down next to him and begin to weave. He doesn't give me instruction, so I watch him carefully. After a few minutes, I hold up my handiwork. He grabs it and pulls it apart easily.

"Weave them tighter, little one," he says.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 3:44 AM

Mav finishes his basket and I give it a good pull. I'm oddly disappointed when it holds. He smiles at me triumphantly.

"See?" he says. "I told you. When you put them together and weave them tightly they are surprisingly strong."

He ties the basket off onto a tree and then sets it into the water. He then lays down on the rock and begins to doze off.

"Just wake me up when you finish one," said Mav.

I do and we start this process of me waking him, him ripping my basket, him falling asleep, and me waking him all over again. Each time, he tells me what I'm doing wrong and each time my basket is just a little better.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 3:48 AM

When evening hits, I wake him up triumphantly holding a perfect basket. I hand it to him and he gives it a good pull. The basket holds.

"Very good," he says.

I go to tie it off on the tree but he stops me.

"We need to head back before dark," he explains.

He pulls his weaved grass out of the water. I'm surprised to see that he has managed to catch two fish.

"It's funny," I say. "Whenever I see people fish with nets they catch many fish. Your's only managed one each."

"It's the way they are weaved," he replies. He sticks his hand into the weaved basket and pushes into the bottom. The tension causes the opening of the basket to become narrow.

"It's not impossible for a fish to escape if they have real fight," said Maverick, "but it's unlikely."
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 7:28 AM

I told Maverick about the path I had made and asked him about walking back that way to fix the ground I had disturbed. He told me not to worry about it because the animals would fix it. We walked back on his path and he pointed out his different markings on the trees. He was careful to mark dead or dying trees with scratches as to not harm any living ones. In spots where all trees were thriving he would scuff the ground, leaving a track that was clearly his. I managed to pick on or two of his marking out on the walk back to camp, but for the most part I remained oblivious to them.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 7:32 AM

Back at camp, Maverick fixed my fire pit and started a fire. He then told me that if I wanted to eat I would have to work for it.

"Go a mile out and set a trap," said Maverick.

"I didn't bring any," I complain.

He sighs, "Piper, just go dig a hole. Lay sticks across it, but not strong ones. Then lay leaves on top of those. Don't make the hole so deep that it would hurt a creature, but not so shallow that it can easily escape."

"How will I find my way back?" I ask.

"Mark your path. Make yourself a mark that is all yours," said Maverick. "I'm trying to teach you Piper!"

I cringe at the last remark and head out to set the trap.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 7:36 AM

I was upset to be hunting. I came here to find Laura not to do training under Mav. Sure, I needed to learn to track and mark a trail, but that wasn't what I was here for. Besides, how would we take the creature back with us? We hadn't brought equipment for that.  I make a mental note to argue about all of this with Mav upon my return. I had plenty of time to both get angry and relieve that anger while digging a hole.

After I finished, I easily followed my path back. Mav would be disappointed at how often I marked my path. Anyone could easily track me, but I was worried that if I didn't I would get lost. At least he would have something to talk to me about when we checked the trap in the morning.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 7:39 AM

Back at the camp, I was happy to see the fish was already done. Mav had plated us each a fish, but hadn't started eating.

"You waited for me?" I asked, surprised.

"It just got done," he said gruffly.

One bite of the fish told me that was a lie. He had waited for me.

"Thank you Mav," I say.

"You always say that one thing," he said.

"Family?" I ask.

"Yeah that," said Maverick. "Let's not dwell on it."

He turns his attention back to his fish.

"I got plenty of rest while I fished and you didn't," he says. "I think you should get rest tonight. I'll keep watch."
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 7:42 AM

We're careful to dispose of any food scraps far from the camp. We carry torches to light our way and dump the bones in the trap I made.

"Not bad little one," Maverick comments.

Back at the camp, I have trouble falling asleep. I leave my tent to sit by Mav.

"Mav?" I ask.

"Yes, Piper?"

"You know those baskets you made?" I asked.

"Yeah? What about them?"

"When I weaved them loose or didn't use enough grass they were weak. That's how I feel Mav. I've lost a piece of me and I'm weak," I say.

"Piper," he looks at me, his face serious. "You're a hunter. You need to be strong alone."
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 7:45 AM

I sigh, suddenly embarrassed for sharing something so personal with my mentor. He can tell I'm upset and stops me as I begin to get up.

"You also need to be smart enough to know you're not alone. You see, Laura is out here trying to find her family. She is strong on her own. Just like you Piper. You hunt alone all the time. Still, she knows we're only one call away. She hasn't even called you and hear you are!" says Maverick. "I consider you to be a little pushy, but I see you care Piper."

I smile at his kind words.

"Besides, you haven't lost anyone. Laura looks at you like a mother looks at her child," said Maverick. "You don't walk away from that. You haven't lost anyone."
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 7:52 AM

It felt good to talk about my fears, but after sharing that first one more kept pouring out.

"What if she's hurt Mav? Or worse?" I ask.

"She's strong Piper," he says. "Trust her."

"But what if?" I ask, my voice rising.

"Then it hurts," said Maverick. "Piper, then it will hurt. It will hurt a lot for a long time. Eventually it will get easier, but it will always hurt. But you know what? You'll have Farley. You'll have me. We will all be hurt together. Family."

I start to cry.

Then, Mav does something that takes me by complete surprise. He hugs me.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 8:02 AM

I cry in Mav's arms until I'm exhausted. I then get up and head to my tent.

"She's fine you know," said Maverick. "I meant what I said about being there for you if and when, but I know Laura. She's fine. Don't start worrying unless I do."

I nod and head into my tent. I don't expect to get much sleep tonight. My mind is racing and I'm feeling confused. Still, I fall asleep the minute I lay down. Between walking, digging, and letting out my emotions I have tired myself out. In the morning we walk to the falls.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 8:26 AM

I wake up the next morning to the smell of coffee. I pop my head out of the tent to and yell to Mav.

"I don't suppose you brought creamer?"

"Only the essentials," Maverick replies.

I sigh and sit beside Mav by the fire.

"You're going to have to learn to drink your coffee plain. Consider it a hunter right of passage," Maverick says.

"Maaaaaav," I whine.

"I make good coffee. It's the best hunter's coffee," he says handing me a cup.

I take a sip and can't stop myself from spitting it back out. Mav laughs at my reaction.

"I don't suppose you have tea?" I ask.

"I don't suppose I do," he replies.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 6:12 PM

I find that if a sip the coffee really slow I can bare to drink it in small amounts. I need the caffeine so I sip. Maverick laughs at all the faces I make while drinking it.

"I have never had anyone complain about my coffee until now," said Maverick.

"It would be good if I just had a little cream and sugar," I say.

I grab my backpack and pull out two granola bars. I offer one to Mav.

"No thanks," said Maverick.

"If I have to drink your coffee then you-"

Mav stops me by putting up his hands in surrender. He then takes the granola bar and starts eating it in small, disgusted bites.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 01/14/2021 6:18 PM

After we have ate and had our coffee, it's time to check the trap I made. On our walk to it I ask Mav questions.

"What if I caught something? What will we do with it?" I ask.

He sighs. I have noticed he sighs a lot when I ask questions.

"If it's small and ordinary than it will be dinner. If it's something extraordinary worth preserving then we will keep it there until I call in for supplies. It will just have to wait in the hole until they get here. It wouldn't be more than a day. There's a hunting post nearby." Maverick explains.

"What if something else falls in with it?" I ask.

"If you caught something really good then we will turn your little trap into a little cage just until I can get better supplies to us. We'll cover it with big sticks that won't break if something were to walk across it," he explains.

[Wild Pet Found]
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext