A dense jungle full of surprises and new places to explore! Scientists are still trying to document species found here, while travelers flock here for a sense of adventure. Be sure to make lots of preparations though, as it can be quite dangerous! (+3 Precision, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tengel Rainforest

Sacred Moon (Moonling Hunt, Private/Invite)

Postby Yomegami » 07/12/2008 3:57 AM

The burning sun had long since set, leaving only the night sky, the stars, and the full moon. Although many places were covered in shadow, there were also many places where patches of moonlight shone down.

This was a perfect place for some creature of the night to lurk. And on this night, there was a creature lurking, perhaps even several creatures.

In the shadows near one patch of moonlight, one could make out the distinct glow and pattern that would identify a Dreamsnare pet. Slowly, but surely, its owner slowly revealed himself.

He was a Garudor, striding along as if it was almost normal for him to be in a place like this, with his wings folded and closed. Having no name otherwise, for the time being he merely called himself "Garudor."

If his beaked mouth would have allowed him to smile, he probably would have been doing so as he stepped out into the moonlit patch nearest to him. He gazed up, with what some might even consider longing, at the bright orb that sat in the blackness of the surrounding sky.

At long last, he was away from the crowded, dank, and sometimes a little too bright temple that he was normally forced to call home. Here, he could be in solitude, wonderful solitude, and enjoy the aspects of the night he was most familar with - the stars, and most of all, the moon.

Oh, the moon. How he treasured the moon. Its cool light, always comforting, never burning or scorching like the infernal sun. How the light shone down on areas, creating such wonderful contrast with shadow.

At last, at long last. There would be nobody, no one at all, to tear him away from that glorious orb in the sky.

Sighing deeply, some long lost fragment of his mind that he had almost never payed attention to reminded him of the real reason he was here.

There were other creatures who lurked in this rainforest, others who just might cherish the moon as much as he did. Their names were lost to him now, but he cared not. He'd know when he found one.

Ruffling his feathers, he strode off back into the shadows.
Yomegami
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4526
Donate

Postby Mojave » 07/12/2008 10:30 PM

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h128/ ... t/zein.jpg
Vasengii, Zein, Meimoki

The cacophony of chittering, chattering, and otherwise caterwauling din announced their presence long before they could have come into sight. Unlike the as of yet unknown Garrudor, they were not enjoying the moonlit forest in silence. The hissing screech-like call of some unknown beast answered them, somewhere deeper in the forest.

From the deepest of the shadows, the bushes were trembling and twigs were snapping as small feet dashed around. If it had been daylight, puffs of smoke-like darkness could have seen rising from the rattling bushes. As it were, it was the beginnings of night and the sunlight had long since left the underbrush in midnight gloom.

With this illusion, it seemed as if hundreds, if not thousands, of creatures were frolicking in the forest. However, the two creatures collided in a beam of moonlight. Two moonlings, identical in markings and colors who eyed each other rather viciously stood in the moonlight. They were oblivious to the Garrudor not far off.

However, the creature that had been following them had. "Will you two buffoons stop raising the dead?" A giant of a snake erupted out of the underbrush, her feathered hide ruffled and bedraggled in places where the bushes had caught at her. Her two wings lifted and the hands on them smoothed her head ruff as best she could. After fully extracting herself, she coiled in the clearing. Both moonlings scuttled up to he sides, one even brave enough to scurry up her coils like a squirrel and perch upon the topmost. The second took to scratching at it's neck with a leg, ignoring the tauntings of the other.
Pen . Docs . Sales . Wishes . About . RP Records . Journal . DA . FR
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 584
Donate

Postby Yomegami » 07/12/2008 10:54 PM

For the first time since he entered the forest, the garudor heard sounds that could not have been of the area. Snapping branches, chittering voices, as if there were many creatures here.

Could it be....?

Calling into mind what little he knew about the creatures he was hunting, he vaguely recalled something about them not being completely solid. Would a creature like that raise this racket?

If it wasn't one of the creatures he sought, he figured, then there was only on thing it could be. Some wretched animal had come and dared spoil his precious time alone!

He whipped around, the only sign of anger being in his glowing eyes. He was going to give this creature what for for disturbing his private complentation.

As he strutted through the undergrowth, he couldn't help but get reminded of just why rainforest was not the ideal habitat for a large bird of prey such as himself. He had barely noticed it when he first arrived, but now it was obvious that the branches of the undergrowth were tearing at his feathers.

However, in his anger he could care less. The sooner this beast was disposed of, the sooner he could get back to his own search and his enjoyment of the moon.

After a few seconds, he spotted a clearing that appeared to have something moving around in it.

Aha!

"It's time for you to MEET your MAKER!" he roared as he burst into the clearing - only to find that there was nothing in here.

He growled. "You can't hide from me forever. Show yourself!"

((To clear things up here, Garudor burst into a diffrent clearing then the one Zein and her moonlings are currently in. Just in case that wasn't too obvious.))
Yomegami
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 07/12/2008 11:11 PM

MEET ... MAKER!

The moonling perched on the snake's coils twisted it's head around toward the sound of a cry. It chirped and kept scanning the area. The snake also twisted around, her coils dislodging the moonling upon her back. It fell with a loud screech into the otherwise calm and silent one, and they both made such a racket that their companion writhed around to hiss them to silence.

"Meimoki... Vasengii..." she trailed off, unsure of weather to send them to investigate or to stay back. However, the decision was taken from her when Vasengii disappeared in a puff of smoky darkness. Meimoki quickly followed, and Zein was left with little choice but to slither toward the Garudor.

Both moonlings popped into the same clearing as the Garudor, cocking their heads from side to side, curious as to what this Garudor was doing.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Yomegami » 07/12/2008 11:36 PM

His loud yell had set off whatever it was making the racket he had heard earlier. That meant, whatever it was it was nearby.

The garudor was about to walk off in that direction, however, the appearance of two creatures suddenly appearing in his clearing stopped him from going anywhere.

He had never set eyes on creatures like these before - Large heads, with an upside down and rotated crescent flashing on their foreheads, and with a smoky aura around them. Sure, he had seen a lot of odd beasts in the metaphysical realm (he was a Dreamsnare, after all), but he couldn't possibly remember seeing anything that looked like these.

Once again, that fragment of his mind seemed to tell him that these were the sort of creature he was hunting for. However, he wasn't really paying attention to that.

He was more concerned with the possibility that these creatures were the ones creating all the noise that irritated him so. Right now, however, they merely watched him in silence.

But if these beasts weren't the ones making all that noise, what was?

Wait, what was that?

He cocked his head to the right, catching the noise easier. It sounded like something slithering towards the clearing.

So there was a snake here as well. Mistakingly assuming that the approaching serpent was the one responsible for the noise, he turned in the noise's direction and prepared to spring. Garudors were strong enough to challenge a slydra, and he failed to see how this snake could be any different.
Yomegami
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 07/13/2008 12:21 AM

Considerably smaller than a Slydra- who were the sizes of buses- Zein toppled over backwards, her winged arms flailing about for protection and balance. However, she landed in a messy heap, her body twisted in all directions, and hissing in anger.

This was more than enough for the moonlings to begin a chattering akin to an angry raccoon, and Vasengii to leap in to bite the Garrudor's ankles. Meimoki, on the other hand, went for the eyes. Unlike their attacks when they meant to kill, both moonlings were only attempting to frighten the Garrudor away from their companion.

"Vasengii, Meimoki, heel!" The giant cobra righted herself and slithered up to the Garudor. "Just WHAT the hell was that about? You go screeching about in the jungle, attract my moonling's attention, and then attack ME? Just who do you think you are?" She hissed angrily, her screeches ringing in the darkness. She spat angrily to the side to dispel the acid collecting in her mouth; acid that was already dripping on the ground and leaving smoking holes where they fell. She dispelled the mucus thick glob onto a bush, which graciously sizzled and melted all the way past the roots, leaving a larger hole in it's absence.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Yomegami » 07/13/2008 2:01 AM

The serpent he had so surprised happened to be a sort of snake he had never seen before. Tonight had a lot of firsts for him, it seemed.

Regardless of what it was, his attack just so happened to bring an attack onto himself by the two creatures who had popped in a few moments ago. One went for his ankles, the other for his eyes.

Whilst the hard scales around his ankles prevented Vasengii's bites from doing much, the attack to the eyes was enough to cause him to wince. Right now, he strongly wished he had the ability to squeeze his eyes shut, but he didn't, so the best he could do to withstand that assault was close his eyelids.

All the while, though, he recognized the chittering they were making. Perhaps he was blaming the wrong creature.

In any event, the attacks soon stopped, but after they were done the snake threw a fit about something along the lines of being annoyed about getting bowled over. Well, he didn't know about other creatures, but he certainly wasn't used to having something he would normally consider a prey item start yelling at him.

However, he certainly didn't plan on attacking again. That acid appeared to be some nasty stuff. It would certainly do a quite a bit of damage if it were to come into contact with him.

As the snake continued its temper tantrum, he blinked. Something was telling him this wasn't the reason for the noise.

His gaze flicked back to the creatures, and it dawned on him. It was them who were responsible for the noise, not the snake. If he should have attacked anyone, it should have been them.

Well, that certainly wasn't the behavior he expected from creatures who looked as if they were made of shadows.

It didn't matter now, he had some explaining to do.

"Oh, so it was your pets who were responsible for that racket!" he said, "I was merely trying to find a shadow-creature, in silence and solitude, and suddenly the forest is filled with annoying clatter! How was I supposed to know who's responsible, huh?!
"And will you please quiet down? You're going to scare away every creature within a hundred miles of this place if you keep going on like that!"

Not to mention you happen to be a bit low on the food chain to be mouthing off, he thought. He didn't dare say that out loud, or he was just asking to have to get some acid to the face.
Yomegami
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 07/13/2008 6:13 AM

{Yeah... if he had said that, she'd have lectured him on the differences between snakes and dragons- which is what she is- before spitting acid on him and feeding him to her moonlings. xD; She's violent.... o-o;}

Zein sighed, her feathers ruffling straight up before smoothing down perfectly once more. "Both of you shut it!" she hissed at them, her temper not much improved by this explanation. Vasengii and Meimoki both scampered over their master's coils and came to rest one clinging to each side of her hood.

"Now... that we are all composed and not trying to KILL the other... Yes. It was these two making a racket, but considering this is a moonling's homeland, I didn't think it would bother anyone. Secondly, that is how they communicate. I have yet to see a moonling that speaks verbal English, but if you have, I am quite sorry for my two being of a... lower education, I guess you would say." She took a great breath and let it out explosively. "Anyway, I apologize about the confusion, but if you'd like to run into wild moonlings on the hunt, be my guest. The great bonus of 'Sengii and Moki's noise is that all the wild hunters won't attack their brethren... or... I hope not." She amended doubtfully.

It was now that she took a good look at him. "Oh... you're one of... those creatures... how interesting." She was about to crane over him and get a better look, but both her moonlings beat her to it. No longer frightened and protective, they were now inquisitive and checking out this strange beast. Meimoki took a chance to crawl up on his head, and upon reaching the first part of any scratches she left, licked it daintily before drawing back.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Yomegami » 07/15/2008 7:55 AM

Much to his (slight) relief, the feathered, winged snake quit blowing her lungs out, and told her pets to shut it. Now, for at the very least for a little while, the rainforest was back to the silence he preferred.

Then, the snake explained that the "Moonlings", as she called them, were normally this noisy, but seeing as this is where they came from, she wasn't expecting anybody to get annoyed.

Well, he was a bird who liked his silence. Being trapped with a bunch of noisy matchs did wonders to make your appreciation of peace and quiet grow.

However, according to the snake, wild Moonlings were vicious, and the noise of her two would probably prevent attack. Perhaps he would have some use for this creature and her pets if he allowed their presence.

While he was considering that, the snake pointed out that he was one of those creatures. What did she mean by "those creatures"?

Again, his thoughts were interrupted, by one of the Moonlings hopping onto his back and licking a scratch before getting off again. Looking around, he noticed the twosome seemed to be checking him out. Because of what?

"Erm, what's everyone looking at?" he asked. Obviously, he didn't seem to think the fact that he was a Dreamsnare very unusual. Then again, the Moonlings, which he guessed were the creatures he sought, didn't think they were very unusual either, yet he thought they were.
Yomegami
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 07/23/2008 10:28 PM

She couldn't very well answer that question, not if she wanted to live. Granted she was a pretty large snake, but a small dragon. And a garrudor's claws would do some damage to her. Damage she didn't want to take the time to recover from. "Nothing," she shook her head, "I've just never seen a dreamsnare up close. Sorry." She shook her head again and turned away. She wasn't going to question him either. It would give this stranger a hefty amount of leverage against her, and there was to consider that maybe not all dreamsnares could offer her what she was looking for.

Vasengii instantly jumped onto the garrudor's back, followed by Meimoki. They chattered and chirped to each other, but kept their voices down. This bird had made clear he didn't like the noise and they were sitting less than a foot apart.

"Well. They've seemed to taken a liking to you. May I ask why you're looking for moonlings? They're quite vicious little buggers half the time. And... you don't like noise... so why would you want one?"
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Yomegami » 07/25/2008 9:12 AM

"Ah. I suspected as such...." the garudor responded. As he watched the snake's movements, however, it became apparent that, it seemed, she was hiding something. But what?

It didn't matter. If a Dreamsnare was capable of making dreams from everyday thoughts, he reasoned, then certainly he could take a look at those thoughts just as easily.

He turned towards the snake again, but the moonlings suddenly hopping onto his back came as a surprise. They weren't all that heavy, but the added weight did throw him somewhat off balance, and he had to spread his wings out to prevent losing his footing. Once he was steady again, he folded them up again.

"Well, I didn't suspect 'Moonlings', as you call them, were this noisy. I assumed they were silent shadows who stalked the night. That shows you just what I know about wild creatures.
I want one, because...."

His thoughts were lost right there. He really didn't have a reason he wanted a Moonling. He had come here, to be alone and to fly the moonlit sky, but to find the Moonling was sort of a side thought.

Well, best not to leave a statement hanging off like that. "I seek one for what they call 'personal gain.'" he finished. That was the reason the group of snakes (they were some sort of organization, but like he forgot the name of the Moonlings, he forgot what it was called) back home wanted wild creatures. Since he didn't have a good reason of his own, he borrowed it to come up with some sort of reasonable answer.
Yomegami
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 08/03/2008 11:25 PM

"Well, they're certainly a good source of personal gain." She nodded, smiling. "They can go everywhere I can, places I can't, and we understand each other. Though, that may because of our origins." She eyed him. "I don't think you'd have any problems with one... especially if your talents are well matched." She ruffled her feathers and swayed a moment as she brought her coils closer together. As if this were a signal, both Meimoki and Vasengii left the Garrudor's back, to perch back upon Zein.

"Oh, I'm Zein, by the way. What's yours?"
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Yomegami » 08/05/2008 5:01 PM

If he had such a capability to do so, the garudor would have smiled. Well, now that he had a good reason to find a moonling. His abilities were well-developed, but he had never used them as he had never been out of the ruins before.

When the moonlings lept off of him, he was a bit disappointed, but mostly relieved. But those feelings went away in a split second because of a problem - which would be that this snake, who was called Zein, wanted to know his name.

Name? He hadn't bothered to give himself a name, and he hadn't been given a name by someone else. In other words, he had to come up with something for Zein to call him by other than just "Garudor."

So he went with the most random name he could think of.

"I am Sidaisti." he said.
Yomegami
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 08/05/2008 6:49 PM

"Sid it is then." She hissed, pleased that the introductions were out of the way. "So, if it's moonlings you want, it's moonlings we'll find. 'Sengi, 'Moki, take point."

The two moonlings hissed at her, displeased to be used as hunting dogs. Neither moved, and she rolled her eyes. "Fine. Take point from my back, you two bums."

She uncoiled herself, and started away from Sidaisti. "Soo...." She obviously tried to begin a conversation, but didn't have a clue what to say.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Yomegami » 11/09/2008 5:56 PM

((At last, I reply. X_X Sorry about the ridiculously long wait.))

Sidaisti chuckled to himself as the moonlings hissed at Zein for trying to order them to do something they didn't feel like doing. It was typical for one to act rebellious in such a situation - himself included.

Not being a very talkative type, he too was lost on something to say. He never started conversations back home, how could he do so here.

"I'm going to see if I can get a better view from above the treetops." he said finally. "Is that fine with you?"
Yomegami
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Next