Home to a variety of cultural backgrounds, Lamenolai is a citadel city with stone walls that encompass the whole city and stone 'guardians.' It is also home to the Headquarters of the Purines, an opposing organization to the Imperialists of Lambastia. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Lamenolai, City of the Guardians

Re: In the Absence of Commands {P}

Postby Indigo » 12/10/2012 11:28 PM

"Yes, I have seen backpacks," Gattley said. "I understand." Though he might have a little bit of trouble with the zippers, since his tail wasn't all that flexible, but with practice he could probably get it right. Maybe he could use his beak, or something. For now, though, he just tried to wrap his tail around everything at once; it was awkward, but it would do for the time being.

He watched Swizzle's face. He was still worried about the cost, especially since he wasn't sure he would be able to paint anything good enough to reciprocate, but it probably wasn't the best idea to keep talking about it. He made an attempt to lift the art supplies over his back in a way that still allowed him freedom of movement. "Should we then go to find such an art bag? Will there be anything else I will need?"

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Postby Freezair » 12/11/2012 3:17 AM

"Yeah. Let's go pick one up." She scanned his body and took in the shape of his form. She was an artist, after all, and a fashion designer at that--bodies were her canvass, and she knew them better than anything else. He was long and supple and had lots of room to carry things. And of course, he lacked fingers, so it would have to be easy-open. "Stay right there," she said. She left him for a moment to scamper down another aisle, and check out the art bags.

The store was well equipped for all sorts. There were side-slung drawstring bags for Kuhnas like herself--small and compact. There were messenger bags for humans. The closest thing to Gattley's size they had were large, long bags designed for the wandering Paragon artist. They were designed to sling across wings--perfect! But they were also built for the more supple hands of Paragon, and had zippers and small pouches Gattley would make no use of. She shook her head. Very inefficient.

But what did she have if not resources?

She scampered back to him. "Hey... you know what, buddy? These bags, they're no good. But you know what? I make clothes all the time! Design 'em and everything. I know how to shape stuff to make it good for every body you can think of. How about I make you a bag? A special one you can wear and get in and outta real easily? I think I can do it."

I'm so cool (too bad I'm a loser).
I'm so smart (too bad I can't get anything figured out)!
I'm so brave (too bad I'm a baby).
I'm so fly
That's probably why it feels just like I'm falling for the first time!

I'm so green (it's really amazing).
I'm so clean (too bad I can't get all the dirt off of me)!
I'm so sane (It's driving me crazy)!
It's so strange
I can't believe I'm falling for the first time!

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 80
Donate

Postby Indigo » 01/04/2013 2:38 AM

He watched Swizzle go with mild bemusement; true, it probably wasn't a good idea to have him slithering all through the store, since he was having so much trouble holding on to the things he had, but shouldn't he have a look at the bags too? After all, he would be the one wearing them. But it was too late to say anything, and he was sure she would know what was best, anyway.

When she came back without a bag he was surprised, but not half as surprised as when she offered to make one for him. "Yes," he said after a moment, "I think that could be a good thing. I would be happy if you wanted to do that, and I will try to find a way to pay you back for that as well." Perhaps two paintings? Buying him the art supplies was one thing, but making him a bag was quite another; after all, she would need supplies for that too, and in a way those expenses would be caused by him. "Otherwise it does not seem like a fair trade."

He raised his head over the top of the aisle, looking around, though he couldn't really see into other aisles from this angle. "Is there anything else I will need for right now, or will I have enough to start? I do not want to take too much time from you."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 01/13/2013 3:52 PM

"Gattley!" Swizzle laughed. "You know, bud, doing things for each other just because is what friends do. It's just plain old bein' nice. I'm happy if you give me a painting, but you know what? I want you to just have a bag. Thing about artists is... they love art. And they love making art. And if you really love what you do as an artist, the makin' of that thing is kind of its own reward. So you don't need to give me anything if I make you a bag! Because I'm giving it to you just because I want to, and because making things is somethin' I love to do! And anyway, I'd like to think I'm your friend, and just making things for one another is how friends do things. OK there, buddy?"

She turned around. "I don't want to force you into anything if you're uncomfortable, but if you want to do this, why not let's go do it? C'mon! Let's go back to my house, where I live. Only if you're comfortable coming, of course. But if you are, we can go, and I can measure you, and I'll make you somethin' awesome."

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[33]

Postby Indigo » 02/23/2013 12:40 AM

"I understand," he said. He'd like to pay Swizzle back sometime, but he supposed he'd just have to let it go for now. As long as he remembered in the future he wouldn't have to worry about it now, and then he could focus on other things, like learning to paint in the first place. And… "Of course you are my friend."

Go back to her house…his experience with houses themselves was somewhat limited, of course. It made him a little nervous, not particularly because the idea of going to Swizzle's house made him uncomfortable, but because he wasn't sure he would fit. As a Kuhna, she was so much smaller than him, it seemed likely that her house wouldn't be designed to accommodate someone of his size…but would she even have asked if there was a chance he wouldn't fit? Another thing to worry about. But he didn't want to say no. "That would be good, I think."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 02/23/2013 4:15 PM

"Alright! Let's pay for this stuff, then, and let's head out. We'll be taking one of the teleporter systems back... is that OK with you? I live out in the farmlands--Sekudui, you know--and it's a long way to walk from here, you dig? But there's a nice teleporting station not far from the farm where I live. It should be good."

Swizzle carted the supplies up to the counter, and paid for the set with the cashier. He offered Gattley a friendly smile while Swizzle counted out keystones and heaped them onto the counter. He wrapped the supplies up in a handy, hands-free bundle. "Want me to tie these to your back?" He looked up at Gattley. "I overheard her offering to get you a bag, but until then, I can get you all rigged up so that you can carry these with you until you get to her place. You dig?"

Swizzle waited for Gattley's response. Even if he didn't feel comfortable with it, she'd be OK, carrying a package like that around. She was a big tough Kuhna girl. Either way, now she had to show him the way to the teleporters and the right way to use them.

"You all set, Gatts? Let's get going!"

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 03/14/2013 1:08 AM

"Teleporting…?" Well, that was new. Or at least, he'd never heard of it before; when the circus packed up it usually did so at night, after all the performers were in their cages or otherwise asleep, and more than once he'd woken up a few hundred miles from where he'd gone to sleep, so if they'd ever used teleportation he wouldn't know it. It would be interesting to see how it worked. "Yes, I would not have any problems with that."

Gattley followed Swizzle up to the counter and tried to smile back at the cashier. At the suggestion of having the bundle tied to him, though, he balked—it sounded an awful lot like a harness, and, well…but if he didn't have it tied on then maybe Swizzle would have to carry it, or else they'd have to leave it here, and he didn't want either of those things. So he said, "That would be all right, I think."

He nodded at Swizzle and followed her out of the shop.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 03/21/2013 10:59 PM

Even though the clerk could not have been fully aware of Gattley's past, he still tied the package on with some delicacy. He was wary of Gattley's wings and tried not to make the bundles too tight. Only snug. And the means he used to tie them up were not very much like those of a harness.

But they were soon back in the streets, with Swizzle leading the way. As she had been doing, she kept eyes behind her in order to check on Gattley's progress. Their route this time lead them down an even busier thoroughfare, with even thicker throngs of people. They were moving towards a major center of travel, after all. And unfortunately, they were largely going against the grain. A grain without much concern for either the large, space-needing creature surging through it, or the small, easily-trampled one underneath.

Swizzle pressed back towards Gattley. She urged him towards a less-crowded alleyway and caught her breath. "Ugh! I don't think they're gonna be any more obliging. Gattley? If I can ask you... Would you be willing to take us up into the air? A quick flight? It's not far; I can point you in the right direction. No pressure if you don't feel up to it--carrying me, or flying around here. But I think that'll get us there fastest. What say you?"

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 04/21/2013 9:51 PM

He was having some trouble with the crowds again, and as much as he tried to maneuver out of the way, there was a limit to his flexibility and more than one person was unintentionally pushed aside. Not to mention, it was hard to keep his wings folded properly with the package tied to his back, even with the care the clerk had taken; the minor physical inconvenience was made worse by an occasional paranoid feeling that made his wings twitchy. Like they were tied down, even though they weren't.

He fought the feeling, thinking it was stupid, but it was still nice to move to a less-crowded area and be able to keep them slightly open without worrying as much.

"Carry you?" He hadn't done anything like that in...a long time. Certainly not under pleasant circumstances. And he knew it was too crowded to move at any reasonable speed, and he knew things would go much faster if he carried Swizzle to the teleporting station, but...well, the fact was that he just wasn't comfortable with it. But Swizzle was his friend, and you were supposed to make sacrifices for friends, and it wasn't as if she would do anything to him. But.

"I think I could maybe try doing it, but I do not know how long I would be able to be carrying you. But let us see what I can do." He tried to sound more certain than he felt.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 04/25/2013 1:30 AM

Swizzle heard the trepidation in Gattley's voice. A giant flyer like that--there was no doubt what a shady circus would make of that. He'd probably been forced to fly around with heavy things, or carry people he did not want to, plenty of times before. Swizzle felt a twinge of guilt. "Hey, buddy, if you're not comfortable, you don't have to. I don't wanna make you think of anything you don't wanna think about... you know?"

And while walking wasn't the best option, well, you made sacrifices for friends, didn't you?

"I'm willing to bungle through the crowds if it means not drudgin' up bad old memories for you. You dig? Besides, if you're not sure if you can fly with me... I don't wanna dig my claws into you just to hold on, you know? Maybe you're right. Maybe it WOULDN'T be the best option. I don't mind hoofin' it if you don't."

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[32]

Postby Indigo » 06/01/2013 2:32 AM

"I am thankful to you for the offer," Gattley said. "I..." It was so difficult, having friends. Did he agree to carry her despite the discomfort or did he say he couldn't do it and force them to push their way through crowds? He could try flying with Swizzle on his back, but if the bad memories turned out to be too much then would they be able to get down safely? But it would take far too long to get anywhere on foot. He tilted his head, thinking.

A compromise, maybe. "I have the idea," he said slowly, "that maybe you could climb up on my back, and then I could carry you until we reach the teleporting place, but not be flying when we do that. Because of my being bigger than you are I can get through crowds more easy if I will push, and that is something I can do. If I carry you while on the ground we will be able to be moving faster and if I begin having a problem you will not..." He didn't want to say it; it made him nervous. "There will not be a problem for you at least."

He watched Swizzle, nervous, hoping for approval. Normally he might not have made such a suggestion, because it seemed unlikely that his ideas would be as worthy as those of someone who knew so much more about the world than he did. Maybe she would laugh at him for even trying.

No. Swizzle wouldn't do that. Right?

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 06/04/2013 3:34 AM

Swizzle's ears twitched, and a smile crossed her face. "Great idea! See, I knew you were a smart one, Gatts. If you don't mind letting me ride, I wouldn't mind a little trip."

She looked at her paws carefully, and with a quick glare, she drew in her claws and left her paw pads soft and gentle. However, compared to her own small size, Gattley's side was rather high. She "Hmmed" in thought. "OK, Gatts, hold on. This might tickle a bit. Tell me if I accidentally hurt you, 'kay?"

Her instincts told her to dig in when she threw her paws up his side and couldn't quite find purchase. She resisted her instincts. Her back legs coiled, and with her rough paw pads alone, she scrabbled up to Galley's back. It wasn't quite as wide as she thought. Maybe finding a sturdy spot would be harder than she thought. She padded around, slightly disconcerted by the way each footstep sunk in a little.

"Again, you just tell me if anything feels weird, OK? I don't wanna bruise you or be tickly or anything like that."

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[33]

Postby Indigo » 11/25/2013 8:22 PM

[I will completely understand if you don't want to do this anymore, but I thought I should at least reply, just in case.]

He barely managed not to flinch when she scrabbled for purchase on his back, recalling careless fingers and heels, misplaced fastenings, but he still managed to hold himself still. It was strange to feel Swizzle walking around on his back, an odd sort of pressure less violent than the kind he was used to. "This is...not bad, I think," he said. "I will be used to it. You are secure?"

Gattley shifted a few times experimentally, just to make sure he could still move freely with someone on his back. "I will need directions. I do not know what a teleporting place looks like."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous