Home to a variety of cultural backgrounds, Lamenolai is a citadel city with stone walls that encompass the whole city and stone 'guardians.' It is also home to the Headquarters of the Purines, an opposing organization to the Imperialists of Lambastia. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Lamenolai, City of the Guardians

Working for the Mafia [Private] [L]

Postby ToxicShadow » 09/23/2016 12:33 AM

Concealed in the shroud of night, Strages tended to the less savory aspects of his job and, for that, he'd stayed out over night for work. With Karkaine temporarily out of the picture, settling scores in the guise of a Purine solider, Strages was left as the acting mafia boss. During the day, he tended to aspects that were more or less in the office, so at night, he dealt with all things otherwise. It was rare that the mafia boss actually had to dirty his own hands directly, unless he wanted to, but there were some special occasions. Last night, had been one such occasion, where he needed to make an appearance. In the early hours of the morning, before the sun rose, he'd returned to his office, his real office, not the one borrowed from Karkaine, and crashed there for the night.

It was morning, now, and he'd been unceremoniously awoken by his partner on the medical team with a book thrown in his face. He sat up on the sofa he'd been lounging in and growled, but the woman didn't bat an eyelash. Hellia was used to dealing with Strages. In fact, she was one of the few that could even tease him. "Wake up, Boss. Isn't your, oh, what do you call him...? Your mate coming today?"

Ideally, Strages would have been able to accompany Aaron to the theater, which concealed their illegal operations behind a totally legitimate business, but it didn't pan out that way. In the event that he didn't return from work in the evening the night before, he'd left his lover the address and directions, asking Aaron to come on his own. They were to meet at the front entrance to the theater, where guests would come through for a performance. The theater, itself, may have been familiar to Aaron, since Strages had once brought him on a date there some years ago. In fact, he'd proposed to him here.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2824
Donate

Re: Working for the Mafia [Private] [L]

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/23/2016 9:16 PM

Aaron did know the theater. Quite intimately. It was the whole getting 'behind the scenes' bit that he was having trouble with. People stopped him to say hi one too many times, and he got hopelessly turned around in one of the corridors. Most of the doors looked the same to him, and he wasn't sure which went where, what was a broom-closet (which he wound up in several times) and which was a door to another staging area (which he also wound up in several times). By the time he had apologized and excused himself from intruding on yet another rehearsal, he was lost to the extreme, and had absolutely no idea which direction he was supposed to be going in. Thankfully, someone - he didn't know this woman - pointed him in a direction, and he chose to follow it. Equally thankfully, it ended up being the right direction.

The young man had hardly expected an OFFICE office, but that's just what he got. For a couple of moments, he stood there - completely dumbfounded and slightly starstruck - at the sheer alien appearance of the working world. He'd never been back here this far before - nor had he ever been back behind the scenes so far pretty much ANYWHERE before, so this was all very new, very different, and very... what was the word?

"Awesome." he breathed.
[EDITING SIGNATURE PLEASE HOLD]
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 424
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 09/26/2016 3:14 AM

Strages' office, which was shared with Hellia, was spacious enough to easily accommodate the two of them and more. It was divided, with their own desks, dedicated book shelves, sofas, and so forth on either side of the room. Throughout the rest of it there were things which were shared, such as other bookshelves which actually pertained to their work, filing cabinents, chairs for guests, a small table that sat up to four, cupboards, even a counter space that was something of a miniature kitchen, with a microwave, coffee maker and miniature refrigerator. (It had been put in to accommodate Hellia, since she preferred not having to leave her office for a quick cup of coffee or a snack.) The general decor had the same feel as the rest of the theater, old paintings and props, masks, antiques, and similar things. Aside from the entrance, there was another door, on Hellia's side, which lead to an equally large medical examination and operation room.

There was more than enough room for another desk or two, although Strages' hadn't managed to have a desk for Aaron brought into this office yet. Since he primarily worked in Karkaine's office, things had been already prepared there, while he hadn't gotten to here.

After his rude awakening, Strages sat up, still dressed from the night before. Well, not exactly, he'd changed when he got back, so basically got dressed a few hours early for the day; he was wearing dark pants and a black, button up shirt. He brushed back the hair that had gotten in his face, and checked the time on his wrist watch. "Shit." He jumped to his feet, realizing just how late he really was and that'd he'd missed their meeting time, when Aaron suddenly stepped into his office. His ears perked up upon his entry, and moved to greet him. "I apologize for not meeting you in the front..."

"He was fast asleep just a minute ago!" Hellia, whom had never actually met Aaron before, approached from her side of the office, grinning. She had long, curled hair, white, with red underneath, and she had donned her lab coat. "You must be Aaron. I'm Hellia," she introduced herself, enthusiastically offering her hand for a handshake, not waiting for Strages to make the introductions.

Strages growled in annoyance with Hellia butting in, but he did introduce her. "This is my partner in this department; she's the only other one here with any medical training."

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/26/2016 5:13 PM

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Dr. Hellia!" Aaron said happily, shaking her hand, and looking around the room. He licked his lips, slightly intimidated by all the newness, but was polite and kept his hands to himself. Well, that is until he greeted Strages, and wrapped his arms around him, burying his head in his shoulder. "So this is where you work, huh?" he asked, nuzzling. "I've always wanted to help out, but with my medical issues and the like, I've never been able to." He turned to Hellia. "Strages probably told you, but I have an unusual heart. It used to be a lot worse, but I still get fatigued easily. I'm sure you've got recordings and stuff in your files. Umm... I asked for a job that wasn't too taxing, and he pointed me to this place. I'm not writing books anymore, since my... heh...my entire reason for writing them is standing right before me right now, so... I was sort of in need of money, and something to do. I have no real experience in clerking work, other than occasionally handling phone-calls, so... I don't know whether or not you'll actually be able to use me."

He fidgeted a bit where he was standing, playing with his fingers, and shifting his weight from one foot to the other. It happened to be a habit that popped up when he was nervous or afraid. Both of those were apt enough emotions right now to trigger the behavior. Desk-work was not really something he knew how to do - but it was low-impact, and would keep him busy on those days when he really needed to stay focused on something. The extra money also wouldn't hurt things. Most of the kids had gone away at this point, but Aaron and Strages still had bills to pay, food to buy, and amenities to afford. Strages could... probably pay for it on his own, but Aaron wanted a chance to help out, too.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 10/24/2016 4:10 PM

His enthusiasm was met with an even wider grin from Hellia. "Oh, don't worry about formalities with me. Just 'Hellia,' will do fine." The woman watched, with an amused glint in her eyes, as the two men greeted each other.

Strages promptly ignored Hellia's staring, acting as if she wasn't even there, to return the gesture. He briefly wrapped one arm around Aaron's waist, pulling him close, so that their bodies were pressed together, and nuzzled him back. It was an entirely uncharacteristic scene involving the stand in boss, for anyone that he worked with, and Hellia was honestly eating it up.

She had impulsively leaned forward a little in her spot, to watch their exchange, but when Aaron turned back to her, she straightened up. "Ah, you don't need to worry too much," she reassured him. "He's made me well aware of your condition, yes. Around here, we all sort of do what we want to do, so learning on the job isn't an issue. I'm sure you understand, its somewhat difficult to find anyone willing to do this job at all, that can actually be trusted." Most clerks, secretaries, assistants, all of those types weren't exactly interested in becoming involved with a mafia, nor did the members of such an exclusive, secretive mafia such as theirs want to be involved with a random hire.

Her gaze shifted to Strages. "I suppose you haven't told him, then?" she asked. "Was it supposed to be a surprise or something?"

Knowing that Aaron's curious attention would shift to him, too, wanting to know exactly what Hellia was talking about, Strages went ahead and explained. "You may end up working with Hellia occasionally, but you're working for me, so you'll be with me, in the Boss' office. I'll return here, to my own office, eventually, and you'll come with me then, but that's how it is."

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 10/24/2016 5:09 PM

"Oh!" Aaron's expression lightened considerably, and he rested his head against Strages' arm. It was a comfortable position, and put him into the closest proximity to the one he adored above all others. "That's good then, you can make sure I'm not screwing up." He smirked. "You know, as I get a hang of all this stuff I'm supposed to do. It might take me a few tries to get right." His expression drew into a frown. "Although if I do screw up, I bet that this isn't a great fit for me, either - so I hope that doesn't happen. There are very few 'low-impact' jobs on the market... At least that I've seen."

Regardless of the seriousness of that statement, he was content to lean on Strages and listen to whatever advice either of them had to give him. This was, after all, his first time in the real 'working world' - illegal or not - and he did want to learn from the people who had been here long before he'd even set foot in this place. For how much Strages talked about Hellia, she had to have been here at least as long as his mate had. That... thought, that word... it left a strongly unpleasant taste in his mouth. Mate. There had to be a better word. Husband, surely, but... He clasped Strages' hand, and brought it to his lips. "Just show me what to do, beloved." he murmured. That sounded better. Still not right, but better.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 10/24/2016 7:10 PM

"I wouldn't fire you over a simple mistake." That much was obvious, wasn't it? Strages didn't have the heart for that. Although he wasn't expressing it outwardly in front of Hellia, he was ecstatic, in his own way, to have Aaron working with them. While confined to the office, they'd be together, and that was far greater than going without seeing him for long hours. Simply being in his presence softened his demeanor and put him at ease.

Although he wasn't a man to really admit it, there was still that nagging fear that the only person Strages truly loved in this world, intimately, would vanish from his sight again without so much as a trace. He wouldn't say it anymore, that Aaron's vanishing for several years practically killed off a part of him. In time, he had convinced himself that he must have died, because what other reason would there be for him not coming back? Strages had already mourned him, in the only way he knew how, by throwing himself into his work, getting himself in dangerous situations, running himself ragged.

It was Hellia that eventually had the idea for Strages to finish his medical training, which he had already started prior to Aaron's disappearance, and work together. It was the Boss' order, but her idea. They didn't speak much, before that. Of course, she was younger than the two men before her, in spite of appearances. She was like Strages and he and Aaron's children, taking heavily after their Lucain attributes, and thus, was able to take on the form of an adult before long. She was the daughter of another member of the mafia, and similar in age to their children. So she hadn't been around as long as one might have guessed. Of course, in this sort of world, an adult was an adult, if they acted like it.

She had come to consider herself Strages' best friend over the last few years, excluding Karkaine, although the man didn't consider her in the same light. Well, he just wasn't the type to call most people, "friends," in the first place.

The woman put both of her hands on her hips, grinning widely, as she observed the two lovers. "He wont want to let you go, even if this particular job doesn't work out. So I'm sure there will be something for you to do around here. If I'm not mistaken, you'll mostly be in charge of filing work and keeping this Boss on schedule. Make sure he eats, okay? If he's working, he always forgets unless someone actually makes him."

While Hellia spoke, Strages instinctively intertwined his fingers with Aaron's when he reached for his hand, holding tightly onto his hand, but not quite so much as to hurt him. With the woman's last words, he growled quietly, as if to exclaim, 'it's not any of your business.' He didn't want Aaron to worry, after hearing something like that, even if it was true.

She deliberately ignored Strages' complaints, and interjected before he could speak, exclaiming, "Aaaah, you guys are adorable!" After hearing Aaron's words, so strongly proclaiming his love in an obvious but subtle way, she couldn't contain it any longer. "Aaron, let's be friends, okay? If you want to know anythiiiing about your dearly beloved's life over the last few years that he wont tell you, I can help you out! I'll share some secrets with you~"

That was the last straw for Strages, his ears went back, and he glowered at her. If looks could kill, she'd be dead where she stood. Leading Aaron by the hand, they left the room. Hellia was just smiling even wider, waving as they went. There was no question about it, he didn't want to deal with Hellia anymore.

Once outside of the office and into the empty hall, Strages loudly exhaled, and his plush ears returned to their usual, upright position.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 10/24/2016 7:40 PM

Of course, the other let himself be led, and looked back over Strages' shoulder for a moment, smirking as he realized just how much he and Hellia had to talk about. It wouldn't be behind his husband's back, though. That part, he was damned sure of. Once the door was shut, and they were alone, though - he leaned his head against Strages' chest, and smiled. "You get so possessive over me, it's a small wonder you didn't clock her there and then, beloved." he murmured. "Not that I mind. I like that." Looking up, he stroked his fingers down the side of Strages' cheek. "I just worry I won't be enough of a help here. I'm overjoyed to hear we're working together, really I am! I just don't want to get in your way... yanno?" Leaning up, he kissed the taller man, and went back to pillowing his head against his chest. From this position, he could hear the beat of the other's heart, and honestly... it did turn him on just slightly - seen from the flush to his cheeks as he spoke.

"She's really something. Excitable. I guess that's a word for it. She really got to you, though." He quieted for a moment to let Strages get his breath before continuing. "I don't know why that got to you. We already said... no more secrets. I'm not going to ask her things behind your back. If there's something you haven't told me, then.. Well, you probably had a good reason not to. I don't need to pry to know you have my best interests in mind, love." No - that still didn't sound quite right. There had to be a nickname that wasn't... sappy, and soapy, and all kinds of sentimental... but still felt 'right' for the relationship. He grimaced. "Gods, that doesn't sound right at all. I've tried 'hun', I've tried 'beloved', I've tried 'lover', I've tried 'mate', I've tried 'honey', and I've tried 'love'.... NONE of them seem to help... You're the wordsmith, Strages. Help me come up with some little... nickname for you. I'm apparently abysmal at it."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate