Home to a variety of cultural backgrounds, Lamenolai is a citadel city with stone walls that encompass the whole city and stone 'guardians.' It is also home to the Headquarters of the Purines, an opposing organization to the Imperialists of Lambastia. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Lamenolai, City of the Guardians

Open Bar [Self]

Postby Indigo » 01/05/2017 11:30 PM

He'd been putting it off. Well, work had started up again, and Lamenolai was on another continent and he didn't have time to travel, and what was he going to do if those predator instincts kicked in, and, and, and. He was afraid. No getting around that. He'd come very close to "losing" the address Amp had given him, but it had come out of the laundry just fine somehow. Magic, maybe. It was hard to discount anything at this point.

But now he was here. There was nothing particularly unusual about the bar that he could see from out here, although it was in a very old building with columns on the front. Music drifted out the door, open despite the cold. A violin, it sounded like, and maybe that was odd. Dean hadn't gone to bars much even before the whole vampire thing.

The street was nearly empty—the bar was on a side street with no other businesses around and it was close to midnight. He stood outside, looking between the door and the crumpled, damp receipt he was holding, wondering if the offer had even meant anything. Or if Amp would even be here, come to think of it. He hadn't exactly planned for this, and he didn't have any way to contact her. Maybe he'd just be drinking alone all night.

Well. No reward without risk, or something like that, anyway. He took a deep breath and walked into the bar.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Re: Open Bar [Self]

Postby Indigo » 05/10/2017 3:55 PM

It looked...well, more or less like any other bar he'd been in, really, not that there was a lot to compare to. He was almost disappointed—part of him had expected some sort of lavish magical decor, something that would be impossible without the aid of a hundred magicians, not that he was even sure what that would look like now that he considered it more closely. Some of the patrons seemed a bit odd to his eye, but he couldn't tell exactly what gave him that feeling, so it hardly meant anything.

There was Amp, sitting at a table by herself, wearing that same coat and looking down into a cup with steam coming out of it. Or pointing her face down toward it, anyway. Dean looked around in case anyone was watching him, realized he'd done this and just suppressed the urge to roll his eyes at himself, and slid into the seat next to her.

"Great," she said, in that flat tone that made him wonder if she was being sarcastic until she followed it up with, "I was wondering when you were going to show up. I've been in here most nights since that thing and it's getting kind of exhausting. I like these guys but not enough to see them every day, you know?" Then a short laugh. He was slightly surprised to realize he'd missed her.

"Sorry," he said, "work's been...work. And I don't get out much, anyway."

"I know. Did you bring your roommate? He sounded like an interesting guy."

"He wouldn't approve of this sort of thing," he said, in a mocking approximation of Piotr's voice. "We are above common mortals and ought not to mingle with them, lest we sully our minds."

"So not such an interesting guy, then," Amp said. "Guess I can't be right all the time."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Open Bar [Self]

Postby Indigo » 05/10/2017 4:14 PM

"What are you drinking?" Dean said. "Are you drinking? I didn't think you could do that."

"I can't. Holliday got all nervous about someone on the street and asked me to watch her drink while she went to calm down. I think it's cider or something."

"And Holliday is…"

"Not so different from you, actually," she said, as if it hadn't occurred to her before. "New powers she doesn't understand, no social life, that kind of thing. Some other stuff, everyone's different, but she could do well to get into the network. Such as it is. Same as you." She swished the mysterious cider around in its glass. "I'll introduce you when she gets back, see how she feels about you."

"All...right?"

"So how's your boring desk job?"

"Boring. How's your exciting magic job?"

Another laugh. "Boring! Anything's boring if you do it long enough, and I haven't gotten any of the fun stuff in a while to liven it up. Things've been weirdly stable. Might be bad, but not in an exciting way, at least not yet."

"So you wait for it to get bad in an exciting way?" That didn't strike him as a particularly responsible use of her position, but he suspected that if he said so she'd just laugh again, possibly in a more pointed way.

"Nah, I wait for Jessamine's say-so. She's not here tonight or I'd introduce you to her too. How long are you in town for? Maybe I can have her pay you a visit. She'd be good for you to know." One of her ears rotated thoughtfully. "Probably."

That didn't sound very promising, but he wasn't sure what he'd expected. For his life to become markedly easier when he walked in this door, he supposed; for a premade group of friends to claim him without question at Amp's arrangement. A ridiculous fantasy, and if he'd caught it lurking in the back of his mind before now he would have cast it out, but he'd been too nervous to examine what he was thinking. Better late than never, though, and at least he was likely to get something out of this, if not on the scale he had hoped for.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate