Home to a variety of cultural backgrounds, Lamenolai is a citadel city with stone walls that encompass the whole city and stone 'guardians.' It is also home to the Headquarters of the Purines, an opposing organization to the Imperialists of Lambastia. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Lamenolai, City of the Guardians

[Quest] Dusty Memories [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/29/2017 3:59 PM

ImageImage
[I have permission from Baconwizard to use Zane in this RP!]
[College AU, yo]

Zane's family's house was somehow exactly like Cody was imagining it would look. Zane's family was nosy, at least the younger members of the family (so many cousins, Cody's head was still spinning from all the names and tiny hands reaching for his long hair as he timidly crouched down to their level), but Zane turned aside most of the difficult questions with vague, but solid answers. Cody was grateful. He didn't want to overstep any boundaries--now that they were alone in Zane's old bedroom, though, Cody felt like he could finally breathe.

"I swear you don't have to help me," Zane mused, his voice light as he pulled open a drawer full of all sorts of miscellaneous things. He eyed Cody over his shoulder, brown eyes kind and shining. "But, I mean, I'd appreciate the help no matter what. Spring cleaning is hard, and kinda lame on your own."

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Re: [Quest] Dusty Memories [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/29/2017 4:03 PM

Cody waved Zane's words away with a hand, smiling as he walked up and peeked into the drawer. His side brushed Zane's, and he felt his heart flutter slightly. Nervous energy. Zane was always so warm. "Gosh, what did you put in here back in high school?"

"Anything," Zane chuckled, sheepish as he pulled out a stack of yellowed papers. "And this goes back much further than high school. Waaay further... gosh, yeah, look at this," Zane laughed, pointing to a school paper that was dated eight years ago.

"Jeez!" Cody grinned, taking it from Zane and looking over the younger-Zane's scribbly handwriting. "Your handwriting improved a little bit since then." Zane laughed and dragged a wastebin over from the side of his bed, looking at it with a small flicker of sadness in his eyes. Cody eyed the trash can, thumbing the paper in his hands, then offered Zane a smile. "Let's look through everything first, and decide what's keepable, yeah?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/29/2017 4:08 PM

"Good plan," Zane said, hefting the whole pile out and grabbing another pile, then sitting on the floor with them. Cody followed, his knees creaking slightly as he sat cross-legged on the floor and fanned out some of the papers. "Uh, don't blame me if you find something embarrassing in there," Zane added, a light flush on his face.

Cody rolled his eyes good-naturedly. "I won't hold you accountable for your teenage boy brain," he chuckled, and Zane flushed more, shaking his head.

"I-it's nothing like that! I just..." Zane trailed off, eyes darting to a particular piece of paper, and he picked it up, dark eyes scanning it over. "Just, well, okay--this, for example," he said, holding it out to Cody and avoiding eye contact. "I wanted to be a songwriter when I was younger. It's really bad."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/29/2017 4:12 PM

Cody blinked at the paper, a little bit fascinated by it. Some lines were scribbled down hastily, some crossed out (but still probably decipherable), others looked like young-Zane had taken a lot of thought in writing them out. As if he was proud of those particular lines. It was a song about food, though, which made the whole thing rightfully goofy and a bit embarrassing, but Cody found it endearing.

"You're smiling, so I guess that's a good sign," Zane interrupted his thoughts, and Cody raised his eyes to peer at the unguarded, nervous grin on Zane's face. Cody flicked the paper so that it was straighter, and set it down to the side.

"Keep that one. I think it's cute," he chuckled, touching the paper with a finger. "Keep Pile. Just so you know, all of these embarrassing songs are going in there." Zane groaned as if the thought actually bothered him, but Cody knew better, as the blonde boy reached forward and rubbed Zane's knee briskly with a laugh.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/29/2017 4:17 PM

"Honestly, it kind of makes me wish I could show you all my bad early drawings," Cody murmured, long lashes masking a kind of sad glint to his eyes. Zane's expression flickered, and he shifted a little closer, their knees brushing.

"It's okay," Zane said softly, an arm automatically moving to wrap around Cody's back, side-hugging him tight. "Seriously. I love seeing your new paintings and such. And now you do poetry, which is even cooler. I bet little you didn't do any poetry."

Cody laughed at that, shrugging his shoulders and leaning his head on Zane's shoulder for a moment. "I can't remember..." he admitted, and Zane hummed softly, rubbing Cody's back, as if to rub away the previous year's misfortunes, and every misfortune Cody had faced before they'd met.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/29/2017 4:19 PM

Zane turned to plant a kiss to the side of Cody's head, then reached forward with his free arm to pull a stack of papers into his lap. "I'm thinking we can throw out these school essays. I never tried very hard on any of them," he admitted with a chuckle. "I wasn't the best at researching. One time I wrote an essay and made everything up."

"Did you get caught?" Cody asked, almost guilty on behalf of little-Zane, as he watched Zane drop some papers into the wastebin.

"Ch'yeah, of course," Zane laughed, nuzzling the side of Cody's head playfully as the blonde let out a small peal of giggles as well. "Nothing got past my middle school English teacher. She was a witch. Like, I think she actually came to school in a witch hat sometimes. She was pretty fun, but I think she didn't like me at all."

Cody tilted his head at that and shrugged, picking up some papers and settling closer to Zane. "Her loss."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/29/2017 4:25 PM

"Aw," Zane chuckled, kissing Cody's temple one last time for good measure. "You're sweet. And distracting--at this rate, I don't think we'll get through one drawer, let alone the whole room like my mom wants me to." Cody shrugged dramatically.

"You're the one who said I could heeeelp," Cody retaliated in a singsongy voice, peering into the wastebin at the thrown away papers. Zane made a punishing noise as though Cody were a misbehaving cat, lightly patting his hand away. Cody gave a mock pout, then chuckled and kept leafing through papers, throwing away anything that looked like a school paper.

In time, with a few more jokes cracked between them, they'd gotten through one drawer (after Cody threatened to sing one of Zane's old corny songs out loud, Zane had suggested they break for something to eat). Now armed with a box of ritz crackers stolen from the pantry, and a couple of cheese sticks, Cody opened the next drawer and smiled at the old toys he found there. "Ooh, jackpot."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/29/2017 4:54 PM

"Mmph?" Zane mumbled behind a mouthful of crackers, and Cody pulled out some very old beat-up action figures, paint chipping off and limbs twisted in awful directions. "Mm--awww, gosh, I remember these guys!" Zane grinned, making grabby hands at the air for them. Cody handed them over and pulled out a few more, smiling as Zane started talking behind him.

"Now you see where my superhero obsession came from. I took these guys everywhere with me--I don't think I put them in my drawer though... bet it was mom's doing," he mused, adjusting their arms and legs so that they didn't look quite so broken, then wrinkled his nose at the paint that came off on his thumb where he'd pressed hard. "Gosh, these guys don't look too good."

Cody examined a burly-looking hero with blue skin and sharp teeth, smiling over at Zane. "Still, these are super vintage. Keep?"

"Mom's gonna think I'm a packrat," Zane groaned, but nodded, lightly resting the action figures over near the keep pile. Cody arranged them so that they were watching over the keep pile like a vigil, careful not to knock any of them over.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/29/2017 4:58 PM

"You can blame me, I don't mind," Cody murmured, smiling as he pulled open another drawer to find some old, unsharpened pencils, and a set of colored pencils. The red and green were horrendously worn down, and Cody arched a brow at Zane.

"Uh. Christmas cards. Right," Zane said, pointing a finger at Cody, who chuckled at the thought of tiny Zane scribbling away with greens and reds at something his relatives would surely love. "I really liked green. I made green trees, green sleighs--if you could tell they were sleighs--green reindeer... with red noses, of course."

"That's so cute..." Cody lifted the box of colored pencils out and shook them a little. "Mind if I keep these?"

"Go right ahead. You'll get way more use out of them than me, that's for sure," Zane said, offering the other boy a cheese stick. "Honestly, you're free to take whatever you want back to our apartment." Cody felt his own face warm at the words 'our apartment.' Happiness fluttered in his chest, fighting back the dusty nostalgia that clung to the room, and to Zane.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/29/2017 5:01 PM

Cody sat down beside Zane with the cheesestick and sighed, nibbling on it. Zane sighed in kind, almost mimicking, before he looked a little more thoughtfully at the action figures. "It's weird, being home, kinda. So much has changed in the past couple of years."

The blonde boy blinked, then quieted, lowering the cheesestick in thought. "Yeah," he murmured softly. "Mostly my fault."

"Hey," Zane said, turning to Cody with a firm stare. "I wouldn't change it, mind you. Well--okay, I'd change a few things." Cody's eyes searched Zane's for a moment, and the redhead continued. "Like... you getting hurt, and... Ava and Cyril disappearing. And the amnesia." Cody quietly nodded in agreement, looking a little dull in the eyes. "But none of that is your fault, Cody. It just... happened. I'm glad I was there to help you through it." When Cody fell silent, Zane fought for something to say, some truth that would make Cody feel better, drawn back into this swirl of bad memories. "You helped me, too, you know. You're just as much a support to me as I am to you."

Cody's attention refocused on Zane, and he leaned in to lightly nuzzle his forehead against the stubble at Zane's chin. "Love you," he said softly, realizing how long it had taken him to say those words after the accident, after his brain was scrambled. It felt good to say now. It felt freer.

"Love you too, Cody."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate